2013-05-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4745826

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
kkcbelle - 2013-05-17 6:31 AM
velcromom - 2013-05-16 9:19 AM

I WILL be there watching tomorrow....AND I will ride my bike to do so!  Hard to resist the men in spandex, ya know.  Just bummed I'm not racing.

As for Strava - I would love to follow people on it (STEVE???  RYAN????) anyon else using it?  I'm already stalking Kyla, she's amazing.

Tonight?   SHARKS, baby!!  Time to crush the Kings!!!!

~Linda

RP is on there, as is Steve. Ryan is fun to watch -- he has gone in search of numerous CRs around here. We are particularly fond of the segments where he and I hold the his-and-hers course records. It's only a matter of time until local fast people find my runs and segments, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the few records I have!! It's fun to stalk you right back, Linda! I like to zoom in on your rides and runs and figure out where you are. I lived a wee bit north of you so don't know the roads specifically, but I know some of the areas you stomp and ride around in!!!

ETA I totally did my Option D of Phone a Friend today when I had zero mojo but wanted to move. Met a pal for a run. Unfortunately she was about as unmotivated as I was, and we were planning on hitting a core class but talked each other out of it and had coffee instead. No worries, we moved first and it was awesome to hang out. No guilt for not doing a harder workout!!!

Isn't there some way you can form a group on Strava, I thought I saw it somewhere? Maybe make up a MG group? I don't think I need motivation but I need to have a new target. Might get a mountain bike for the Winter and maybe also start attacking some local Strava segments. I'd be interested in following some people on here.

2013-05-16 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4725773

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Surgery went well bout 20 mins total. Was not bad at all one little tug on the right side. Very simple overall way less than I anticipated. He said two weeks recovery time.I am on strava as well mike Behr Madison Al. I like it as well. For me it's about finding exactly where the challenges are then remembering and pushing hard on those spots. I have yet to be KOM but working on that. It also gives me motivation to try and keep up with miles from ppl I follow
2013-05-16 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4744430

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2013-05-15 5:07 PM
velcromom - 2013-05-15 2:31 PM

Had a mixed day today.......completely blew the deadline, hubby and I are NOT racing the charity event for Tour d'California, all my fault.  Really bummed.

Took my anger out on my regular 31 mile ride.....got a PR....averaged 18.4 mph for a course with major wind and several tough climbs - part of the TdC course.....and when I posted to Strava, I realized that I beat Hailey Manning (Big, local triathlete) on 2 segments.   Totally made my day.

I blame Kyla for my new Strava addiction.

Congrats on the ride.  I think a Strava addiction is not as bad as Trevor's latest. 

[/QUOTEI think there is more than 2 of us addicted to it. I saw someone else's name on there too now. Mrs. Velcro
2013-05-16 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Okay, still  new to the Strava...

But, I've attempted to add everyone I could think of.  Add me if you're on it!!!  Accept me if I tried to add you!

This is cool.

I even added Trevor!!!

*Linda Nollette*

2013-05-16 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Just started a new group on Strava - SBR MG - in California!  Ha!  Got to pick the state since I started it.  Don't have e-mails, so add yourselves - all of you!!  It's not private.  My email is [email protected] if you have problems!
2013-05-17 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4746356

User image

Expert
Noosa
velcromom - 2013-05-17 1:56 PMJust started a new group on Strava - SBR MG - in California!  Ha!  Got to pick the state since I started it.  Don't have e-mails, so add yourselves - all of you!!  It's not private.  My email is [email protected] if you have problems!
Ok, I'm in!

2013-05-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4746610

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
I am in. Don't judge my performance this month. In 2 weeks I will be back on strava logging miles. I did not remember how to add a group but added Dave and Linda
2013-05-17 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4743084

User image

Master
jfought - 2013-05-15 5:22 AM

Let's get this racing season in full gear, it's almost JUNE!!  Who's toeing the line?

I want to repost this advice from Birdy!  Motivation is a struggle for all of us from time to time.  What else do you do to stay "in the groove?"

Option A: Pick your FAVORITE WORKOUT and go do it, enjoy it.... Remember why it is you have chosen the healthy path, and embrace what you have become.

Option B: Go pick your least favorite workout and ABSOLUTELY CRUSH IT! Prove to yourself that you have the mental capacity to succeed through your half ironman....

Option C: Continue to feel the lack of motivation, and suffer for the next _____ weeks until after you either decide to "get through" your race, or be mad that you didn't even race (HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS!!!)

I already answered the mojo question, but then realized I am racing this weekend and left that part out!! Anyway, tomorrow my mostest favoritest running partner and I are doing the Girls on the Run 5K in Seattle. I asked my daughter yesterday if she had any goals for Saturday, and no, she doesn't. That's all well and good. I know her, and that will change once we're out there getting ready to run!! My plan is to hold her back a wee bit early on and then let 'er rip at the end. I never let 'er rip soon enough, so tomorrow I'm going to start pushing her just after 1 or 1.5 miles, but she doesn't know this yet!!!

Make it a great weekend, peeps!!

2013-05-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Whoa...new look to BT. Through me off there a bit and for some reason I can't post a workout to my blog...anyway -

Here is my bio...

NAME: George - 40 years young

BACKGROUND: Had been a fitness runner for a while. In summer of 2008 starting swimming for something different (and got motivate to swim from watching the Olympics!). There were a lot of people at the YMCA where I work out who were doing triathalons so I decided to give it a go. 2009 was my first sprint. Have done some sprint and olympic distance races and in 2011 did my first slow HIM. Also did my first marathon that year after several half marathons. 2012 did another HIM with a slight improvement, also did a Tough Mudder last year. Somewhere along the line my wife started doing sprint tri's also and now 2/3's of my kids have done them too. Had been a part of this group for a few years and then life got in the way so sat out of the group for about 18 months but I am ready to make my comeback!

FAMILY: 3 boys - Jeremy (13), Tommy (11), Cody (just about 7). Married to Kristine for 15 years.

RACES: This year is going to be a light year. Sprint tri is July, Tough Mudder in July and possibly a half marathon in October. Some 5Ks and 10Ks where I can fit them in.

2013-05-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Originally posted by jfought

Let's get this racing season in full gear, it's almost JUNE!!  Who's toeing the line?

I want to repost this advice from Birdy!  Motivation is a struggle for all of us from time to time.  What else do you do to stay "in the groove?"

Option A: Pick your FAVORITE WORKOUT and go do it, enjoy it.... Remember why it is you have chosen the healthy path, and embrace what you have become.

Option B: Go pick your least favorite workout and ABSOLUTELY CRUSH IT! Prove to yourself that you have the mental capacity to succeed through your half ironman....

Option C: Continue to feel the lack of motivation, and suffer for the next _____ weeks until after you either decide to "get through" your race, or be mad that you didn't even race (HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS!!!)

No Racing here.

Mojo has been a big issue for me. I found that it can be a self fufilling prophecy. You don't have mojo so you don't do your workout, you don't do your workout so you feel bad about it, your mojo gets worse because you feel bad about missing the workout, you skip your next workout becuase you have no mojo...and the spiral continues.

For me it was (is) work travel. Last year I made 10 trips to France, a trip to Korea and a couple of other trips in the US. Plus some personal travel for vacation. With all the travel the workouts got inconsistent and then they started to get fewer and fewer.

This year travel has gone down...only two trips to France so far. I also have made the committment to myself that while on the road, I may miss some days but I won't miss them all (which is what I was doing in the second half of last year). I comes down to a CHOICE and I now I believe that YOU MAKE YOUR OWN MOJO...it doesn't just come to you. You get mojo because you feel great after working out and that makes you want to do it again.

One other thing that works for me is mixing it up. I started doing the Insanity video series at the beginning of April. I am normally not a fan of working out to a video but this series is TOUGH and it is making me work muscles that I don't normally work with SBR and that feels goooooodddd. It has also helped my core alot. Anyway - the point is if you can't get movitated to SBR, do something else...hike, trail run, find a tall building and run up and down the stairs, kayak, play soccer...something to get your heart pumping and then you will realize how much you miss it and will find it easier to get back to SBR.

That might be the longest post I have ever written so don't expect a lot more from me during this round of the MG!
2013-05-17 2:02 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Originally posted by velcromom

Just started a new group on Strava - SBR MG - in California!  Ha!  Got to pick the state since I started it.  Don't have e-mails, so add yourselves - all of you!!  It's not private.  My email is [email protected] if you have problems!

OK..I downloaded the apps...do I need both the bike app and the run app? Does this mean I need to carry my phone when I run??? How do I join the group you speak of??

2013-05-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
OMG! What is going on? There is no place for us to put our links on our blog, is there? I hate that my friends aren't on the main page and we can't inspire from the pics!!!! Argh!
2013-05-17 3:02 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Elite
san francisco
So weird, when I click on the last post, I end up at the first post on page 1.

Strange that our friends are not on our training log page, but I somehow found them on one of the pull down menus. I guess I will get used to it.

I'd join Strava, but then all you'd see is my little icon never moving when biking as I am stuck to the trainer lately...maybe when I get that thing out on the road....

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy MOJO to all!

2013-05-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Master
Originally posted by kt65

So weird, when I click on the last post, I end up at the first post on page 1.

Strange that our friends are not on our training log page, but I somehow found them on one of the pull down menus. I guess I will get used to it.

I'd join Strava, but then all you'd see is my little icon never moving when biking as I am stuck to the trainer lately...maybe when I get that thing out on the road....

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy MOJO to all!

Oh dear. I am a creature of habit. This new look is stressing me out, and I can't upload my workout either.

Kim, you can totally Strava while not moving!! There is a trainer option for the bike, I believe. Just log your time. I think. I haven't sat my patootie on the trainer in awhile, but I'm pretty sure I have logged old bike workouts that way.

Set a new CR today on a segment I didn't know existed. I don't think it used to exist as I run that road about 4x a week -- someone must've created it last night, ha!! Gotta love it!!

I'm feeling very lost and confoozled with the new design.
2013-05-17 11:15 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Expert
Noosa
Managed to log a bike ride but otherwise I'm a bit lost with the new site!
2013-05-18 5:32 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
No racing here.

On the motivation front, I rarely have problems getting out the door IF all my body parts are in working order. On those days when a knee or ankle or hip is hurting, I get really frustrated about not being able to go out the door. All too often, I go out anyway and end up further aggravating the problem area. If I am feeling tired or not very motivated, I do what others have already mentioned. I go out the door with the intent of at least starting and with the option of bailing out. If I start, I almost never bail out.

I have played around a little with the "new look" and I like it (but I'm an old computer geek). I think people will get used to it fairly quickly.

2013-05-18 8:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Originally posted by gdale

Originally posted by velcromom

OK..I downloaded the apps...do I need both the bike app and the run app? Does this mean I need to carry my phone when I run??? How do I join the group you speak of??

If you have a garmin you download your workouts on strava... Then watch for PR's and KOM, CR's etc.... Not sure about this group that Linda speaks of...
2013-05-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Pro
2013-05-18 11:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Noosa
Hope everyone's having a good weekend.
I had a surf yesterday and swim in the waves today. My only problem is that I tripped on a rock next to the pool yesterday and came down hard on my left hand. At the moment I can't extend the wrist and can't hold the bars on my bike....

P.S.The Strava group is labeled SBR MG and registered as a California group.

Edited by copa2251 2013-05-18 11:59 PM
2013-05-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Pro
David maybe that's a sign... Post ironman workouts!!? Just teasing. I hope your ok.
2013-05-19 7:09 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by swbkrun

David maybe that's a sign... Post ironman workouts!!? Just teasing. I hope your ok.

Wrist seemed better in the afternoon so I had another ride and felt much better. I think the hills on the previous ride pushed my HR up a bit too much.

A very helpful and generous MG member has given me a copy of the EN Outseason plan which I'll start once 4 weeks post-IM has elapsed so I'll make sure I go easy until then!

2013-05-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Veteran
Naples
Bio:

NAME: Rob

STORY: Been doing Tri's for about 25 years, first started after high school (1984!). Not as consistant as I wanted but been steady. I have had the opportunity to complete one Ironman (one and done group, but I have to say that I am getting the bug again) one HIM and two Chicago Marathons (2007, 2008). Been lucky to compete in various other distances through the years. I enjoy the training, like the challenge and friendships I've built along the way.
My family is a bunch of atheletes. Dad has done HIM, marathons, etc; Twin brother has done 3 IM's and sister has done 2 Marathons. My dad got the running bug in the 70's and it's continued through generations. I have 2 boys (divorced) and they are athletes (10 and 8 years old). My boys are my world.
I live in Naples FL. I am very spoiled with our great weather, can train all year round. Originally from Boston, die hard Boston fan!

TRAINING: In Feb of this year, the dreaded Planters Facilitus (I know I didn't spell that right) hit. I have run very little (mostly none). First time major injure for me, it stinks . My biking and swiming has certainly improved. Right now training for the Naples Fitness Challenge (Sprint distance) on June 2nd and the Miami HIM in October. Going to see how foot is at race time for both events. If it feels bad, I won't do run.

Have for some insane reason been doing Cross Fit workouts, its a lot of fun (if you are crazy)
2013 RACES:
June 2nd- Naples Fitness Challenge (Reverse Sprint Tri - Run, Bike, Swim)
Oct 27th - Miami HIM

WEIGHTLOSS: Glad you asked! I have lost 20 pounds in the last two months, by eating 1500 calories a day. I was at 188 and am now at 168! Feel like a new person. I am maintaining 168 right now and back up to eating a somewhat normal diet of 2000 calories a day.

ADDITIONAL INFO: I have done mentoring groups before and enjoy the support and friendships in the groups. I hope my posts will encourage you, I always have questions and usually include something ridiculous that always seems to happen to me along the way. Thanks for letting me be part of the group. Happy training and happy postings.

Rob
2013-05-20 8:14 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Originally posted by [email protected]

Bio:

die hard Boston fan!

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. Welcome to the group!
2013-05-20 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
No worries, I know we are the best
2013-05-20 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by gdale

Originally posted by [email protected]

Bio:

die hard Boston fan!

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. Welcome to the group!

Hey, I'm a Boston fan too! We are talking marathons, right? wait? what?

Rob, you should meet Kim! She had PF for quite a while and is also a CF freak. She's a super fast runner so she probably has some words of wisdom for you!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44