BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-02 11:31 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Subject: RE: Spin bike and Garmin question CLOSED
Thanks, Nicole,

I know that someday I will look back at these questions and marvel at how little I know about triathlon training! Thank you all for your help.

I wonder if you can tell me a bit more about power metrics? Is there some of gauge that you attach to your bike? I am assuming that power metrics relate to the percentage of your effort?

Thanks for all of your advice so far. You have no idea how much this is helping!

Kelly

2014-01-02 11:35 PM
in reply to: ssgreer

Ha, ha! Well, Scott, I am laughing because OF COURSE you wouldn't know what version of Garmin watch I have by just the color of the watch! What was I thinking? I have the 310XT.

I may be the most technologically challenged individual you have ever met. If you have a tip for me to get me started that would be super.

Thanks,

Kelly
2014-01-03 4:28 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

Originally posted by Danmartinids

Question - What do you do for motivation when you don't want to get a workout done because you are feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse)?  I think there's a difference between not wanting to because I'm feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse) and feeling unnecessarily exhausted (or some other clue my body is giving me I need to take a break to stay healthy).  How do you go about telling a difference between the two?

For me, motivation comes from having a goal (like a race) and a plan to achieve that goal.  

For the first few years that I did tris I always had goals but no real plan for how to achieve them.  Initially my goals were broad and difficult to measure.  ie. I want to finish race X and go as fast as I can.  My plan to get there was to train a bunch and see what happened.  The last few years my goals have become more specific and measurable.  I have two short term goals right now, both for races in May.  One involves going faster than a certain time in a half marathon and the other is a wattage goal for a time trial on the bike.  My plan to achieve the goals comes from my coach.  So I get specific workouts from him that I know are designed to get to those goals, with the longer term goal of making me faster in triathlons over the summer.

For a specific workout, if I can't decide if I'm being lazy or actually need to skip it due to fatigue, I usually try to start it anyway and see how it goes.  When running, I give myself 15 minutes - if I still feel terrible at that point I bail (doesn't happen very often but once in a while it does).  After doing that for a while, I've learned the difference between the two.  

So, long story short (too late!), I suggest making goals and having a plan to get there.  Set both long and short term goals - long term you want to do race X, short term you want to consistently run 5 times per week between now and April.  Pick something you can measure and is reasonable.

2014-01-03 6:15 AM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Talking of Spin Bikes. Does anyone have a view on spin classes? I have tended to avoid them because I never think all the standing up/leaning forwarded etc is specific for tri especially as heart rate is all over the show. Do you have any views on the use of spin classes as replacement for bike training.

Sean
2014-01-03 7:02 AM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by weirdfish Talking of Spin Bikes. Does anyone have a view on spin classes? I have tended to avoid them because I never think all the standing up/leaning forwarded etc is specific for tri especially as heart rate is all over the show. Do you have any views on the use of spin classes as replacement for bike training. Sean

Personally, I don't see it as a great replacement for bike training if you have other alternatives.  I think being on your own bike on a bike trainer is a better choice.  However, if you don't have that option then I think it is a better choice than doing nothing.  The group setting may also serve as a motivator so again if it means you end up doing more riding as a result then it can be a good option.

2014-01-03 7:55 AM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Thanks, Nicole, I know that someday I will look back at these questions and marvel at how little I know about triathlon training! Thank you all for your help. I wonder if you can tell me a bit more about power metrics? Is there some of gauge that you attach to your bike? I am assuming that power metrics relate to the percentage of your effort? Thanks for all of your advice so far. You have no idea how much this is helping! Kelly

There are a couple general ways to get power for your cycling -- you can spend a decent chunk of money on a power meter for your bike (this isn't something I'd suggest doing until you are absolutely certain you plan to stick with triathlons/cycling for a while), or you can use Virtual Power.

There are at least a few options for using Virtual Power, but I tend to think TrainerRoad is the most user friendly.  If you have a bike, stationary trainer, speed/cadence sensor, and ANT+ communication, you can set up Virtual Power.  I tend to enjoy training with power, but it is certainly not the only way -- training by HR or RPE can also be very effective.  That said, for riding on a trainer, using some form of power was the only thing that made it tolerable and effective for me....otherwise I tended to ride too easy, without a specific plan, and got bored quickly enough to just give up.

2014-01-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by weirdfish Talking of Spin Bikes. Does anyone have a view on spin classes? I have tended to avoid them because I never think all the standing up/leaning forwarded etc is specific for tri especially as heart rate is all over the show. Do you have any views on the use of spin classes as replacement for bike training. Sean

Personally, I don't see it as a great replacement for bike training if you have other alternatives.  I think being on your own bike on a bike trainer is a better choice.  However, if you don't have that option then I think it is a better choice than doing nothing.  The group setting may also serve as a motivator so again if it means you end up doing more riding as a result then it can be a good option.

I have a spin bike at home. I view that:

1) It is nothing like bike training. A good position, work rate and challenge are hard to simulate.
2) It is a million times better than nothing! I can get a nice chunk of controlled HR work and keep my legs from going soft during the long winter.
3) Both me and my wife can use it easily which would not be possible on a trainer.

I am sure when I get back on my road bike in the spring I will have some surprises.
2014-01-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kelly -- here is your user manual.

My wife is tech challenged as well so if you need more help, don't be embarassed to let me know. If you have any trouble, send me a message and I would be glad to walk you thru it over the phone.

*** RE-EDIT -- Ok, got attachment done. Let me know if you have trouble. If you don't have access to a printer, I will be glad to mail you a copy.***

Edited by ssgreer 2014-01-03 12:14 PM

Attachments
----------------
garmin 310xt new.pdf (690KB - 3 downloads)
2014-01-03 12:28 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Originally posted by Danmartinids

Question - What do you do for motivation when you don't want to get a workout done because you are feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse)?  I think there's a difference between not wanting to because I'm feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse) and feeling unnecessarily exhausted (or some other clue my body is giving me I need to take a break to stay healthy).  How do you go about telling a difference between the two?

As Arend mentioned, goals can be a great motivator.  But also try to focus on how good you'll feel once the workout is done.  No regrets later in the day, and you might get a little endorphin boost.  And you can eat a cookie. 

2014-01-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

While it's always better to be on your own bike, I think a spin bike can be fine so long as you get it adjusted properly.  I would much rather buy a trainer than a spin bike, but if you have access to a spin bike as part of a gym membership then it's a usable option.

70-90% of my training is on a road bike...regardless if I'm doing tris or time trials.  Even though the position and riding style is quite different than when on my tri bike...I still get almost all the benefits.

2014-01-03 2:48 PM
in reply to: ssgreer

WOW! I don't know how you ever found that but thank you SO much! I really appreciate the user manual!

Kelly

2014-01-03 2:51 PM

Thanks, Nicole,

I will check in to that!

Kelly
2014-01-03 3:35 PM

User image

Guys, thanks for the update. On a separate question do you know if TRAINER ROAD is compatible with Polar products. I have the Polar RS800CX watch and cadence/speed/HR monitors but cannot see on the site if there is a way to connect?

Also thanks to seeing everyone else in training I did my first session of 2014 today of 2550m in pool (don't laugh it took an hour with no rest sessions) - its a start!

Thanks

Sean

Edited by weirdfish 2014-01-03 3:37 PM
2014-01-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

First, thanks Nicole! The spit worked! Just a swim for me - slow but steady...

Here are a few training/tri questions I have -

1. I have a marathon in July. I am afraid to run only 3 days. Does anyone have any training plans that will also prepare me for a marathon? I just want to prepare to finish the marathon comfortably. Not really worried about time.

2. I really want to do a longer tri with an open water swim. Has anyone done one of these in the sourthern california area to recommend?

3. What is everyone's opinion of wetsuits? They seem to be a big hassle and expensive - what's the coldest water you swim in without one or do you always wear a wetsuit for an open water swim.

Donna
2014-01-03 5:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by weirdfish Guys, thanks for the update. On a separate question do you know if TRAINER ROAD is compatible with Polar products. I have the Polar RS800CX watch and cadence/speed/HR monitors but cannot see on the site if there is a way to connect? Also thanks to seeing everyone else in training I did my first session of 2014 today of 2550m in pool (don't laugh it took an hour with no rest sessions) - its a start! Thanks Sean

Trainer road requires data to be collected via ANT+ transmission technology.  Many fitness products use this technology including Timex, Garmin, Quarq, Powertap, etc.  Unfortunately, Polar uses their own type of transmission technology.  And AFAIK, there isn't a way for Trainer Road to accept that transmission into their software.

EDIT:  More info here http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/20655073-What-devices-are-you-compatible-with-

Edited by Jason N 2014-01-03 5:10 PM
2014-01-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Originally posted by luvschips

Here are a few training/tri questions I have -

1. I have a marathon in July. I am afraid to run only 3 days. Does anyone have any training plans that will also prepare me for a marathon? I just want to prepare to finish the marathon comfortably. Not really worried about time.  

You're going to have a hard time finding a training plan that factors in a marathon and tri training at the same time.  But as I mentioned before, just because there isn't a plan on the internet, it doesn't mean you can't adjust one to make it work for you.  I would start with the framework of a marathon plan you feel comfortable with, and compliment it with riding and swimming. 

Originally posted by luvschips 2. I really want to do a longer tri with an open water swim. Has anyone done one of these in the sourthern california area to recommend? 

3. What is everyone's opinion of wetsuits? They seem to be a big hassle and expensive - what's the coldest water you swim in without one or do you always wear a wetsuit for an open water swim. Donna

I really wish I could help you here, but I've never worn a wetsuit in my life, nor raced in California.  Xterra wetsuits are usually decent quality at an affordable price.  What temperature you use a wetsuit or not is going to vary by person.  Some people feel they need one in any temp below 74 degrees.

2014-01-03 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips First, thanks Nicole! The spit worked! Just a swim for me - slow but steady... Here are a few training/tri questions I have - 1. I have a marathon in July. I am afraid to run only 3 days. Does anyone have any training plans that will also prepare me for a marathon? I just want to prepare to finish the marathon comfortably. Not really worried about time. 2. I really want to do a longer tri with an open water swim. Has anyone done one of these in the sourthern california area to recommend? 3. What is everyone's opinion of wetsuits? They seem to be a big hassle and expensive - what's the coldest water you swim in without one or do you always wear a wetsuit for an open water swim. Donna

I may be able to answer some of those questions for you as I lived and raced in Socal for my first year.

1. I've never done a marathon, but I know enough that I would NOT want to do it on 3x a week running.  Your marathon is in July....when is your tri?  You may have mentioned it previously, but I'll just ask again so I don't have to search through all the old posts!  As Jason said, don't feel obligated to follow any one plan you find on the internet.  Depending on your priorities (which race is more important: the marathon or the tri?), I'd be more likely to train for marathon distance running with as much swimming and biking cross training as you can afford.  If the tri is more important than the marathon, make sure to hit your swim and bike workouts and do as much (easy) running as you can in addition, as long as it's not negatively impacting your swim/bike.

2. What do you mean by a longer tri?  Are you looking for HIM distance or Oly distance?  Or sprint distance with a longer open water swim?  I know Oceanside 70.3 is sold out now, but that's the longest tri with an open water swim, I believe.  Escape from Alcatraz has a long OWS, but it's basically lottery only and is also sold out.  If you're looking for a well-run Oly distance race with an ocean swim, consider the Breath of Life race in Ventura (though the swim is in a protected bay).  For a real ocean swim, you could check out the Encinitas Sprint Tri -- you'll have to be comfortable with surf (they put on a clinic a couple weeks before that is very useful if you're not comfortable with surf but are comfortable swimming) and it's a sprint distance, but is a well-run race as well.  Malibu, Redondo Beach, and Santa Barbara are also good options, but I haven't actually raced any of them (Santa Barbara is between and Oly and HIM distance, which I really wanted to race, but moved away before I got the opportunity).

3. Wetsuits -- for Socal, it's pretty close to a requirement!  For some of the races in shallow, protected bays/marinas, the water stays warm enough on the surface that you could certainly do without a wetsuit, but I don't know that it would be comfortable (temps would be in the low 70's at the highest).  Many places in Socal will be in the low- to mid-50's year-round, and for that, a wetsuit would be strongly recommended.  The lowest I'd (personally) swim without a wetsuit is mid-70's, but I'm also a weenie when it comes to being cold.  It's really dependent on the person.

I don't know what size you are, but I have an Xterra that I'd be happy to part with (bought a new wetsuit and just haven't bothered to put the Xterra up for sale yet).  Xterras are great entry level wetsuits and they have massive discounts all the time (think the BT discount is something like 57% off).  That wetsuit served me well for a while, but I eventually wanted to upgrade as I became a better swimmer. 

2014-01-04 11:10 AM

User image

Nicole -

I haven't signed up for one yet because of that marathon. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew :-) I am looking at doing 2 of the following: A short tri in March or "Championship" distance (500m open water swim) in April. After my marathon I would like to do Olympic distance in October at Bonelli lake. But my ultimate goal would be the HITS half in palm springs. But the fear of the open water swim and bike is holding me back from registering. I have done 2 sprints in 2014 but those were in pools.

And about the wetsuit, I would be classified as an "athena" I guess. I am 5'10", 165.

It's a little discouraging with how fast these triathlons fill up and how few there are to choose from. Almost makes me want to stick with just marathons but I really don't want to give up my tri goals.

Thanks so much! All this advice has been so helpful!

Donna
2014-01-04 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips And about the wetsuit, I would be classified as an "athena" I guess. I am 5'10", 165.  

5'10", 165 puts you square in the middle of the Mens medium size for Xterra.

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/uploads/size-chart-2012.pdf

If you (or anyone else) is interested, I'm pretty sure I can get a 60% off coupon code for Xterra.

2014-01-04 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips Nicole - I haven't signed up for one yet because of that marathon. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew :-) I am looking at doing 2 of the following: A short tri in March or "Championship" distance (500m open water swim) in April. After my marathon I would like to do Olympic distance in October at Bonelli lake. But my ultimate goal would be the HITS half in palm springs. But the fear of the open water swim and bike is holding me back from registering. I have done 2 sprints in 2014 but those were in pools. And about the wetsuit, I would be classified as an "athena" I guess. I am 5'10", 165. It's a little discouraging with how fast these triathlons fill up and how few there are to choose from. Almost makes me want to stick with just marathons but I really don't want to give up my tri goals. Thanks so much! All this advice has been so helpful! Donna

Donna,

Most of the local races don't fill up far in advance (many are still open the week leading up the the race, though relatively few have on-site registration).  Also, in my response above, I was giving the races that I knew had open water swims in the ocean -- if you are interested in a non-ocean (but still open water) swim, that opens up your opportunities greatly!

Take a look at LA Tri Club's race schedule.  Other than the WTC (Ironman) events, most will not fill up too far in advance.  I've heard great things about the Desert Tri in Palm Springs (lake swim) in early March.  It turns out to be a very competitive race, as it's often used as a tune-up to Oceanside 70.3, but the people I know who have done it said that it's well run and they enjoyed it.

You could also consider the HITS Napa Valley race (also a lake swim) in April -- HITS events are typically not huge, so it would probably feel a little "safer" than a huge race....some people like the feel of a small race and some people love the atmosphere of huge races.  It's very personal.

But a March / April race is a very realistic goal for you, and doing one in a lake may help ease your fears a bit with regards to the swim.  I would, however, suggest a wetsuit as none of those lakes will be very warm.  Take Arend up on his offer for the Xterra code -- Xterra is great in that they'll let you swim in the suit and try it out, then send it back if you need a different size

2014-01-05 3:24 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

La Quinta, California
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
Can someone explain to a "rookie", what is a 2 beat, and 6 beat kick when swimming. How is it coordinated with the swim stroke?

2014-01-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN

Originally posted by Jerry A. Can someone explain to a "rookie", what is a 2 beat, and 6 beat kick when swimming. How is it coordinated with the swim stroke?

A 2 beat kick means you kick twice per full arm cycle (one cycle = both arms).  A 6 beat kick is 6 kicks per full arm cycle.  If you were to watch swimmers in the Olympics you would see 6 beat kicks in pretty much all the short events but for the longer ones (like the 1500) you might see more two beat kicks.  

Here is a great blog article about it written by BT's TJ Fry. http://badig.com/2009/06/the-two-beat-kick/

There are two videos in there that have a good idea of what they look like.  Although the video shows a 4 beat kick, it still shows the difference.

2014-01-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but this is all so new.

What is a USAT card?

Almost ready to sign up for one in April but it says I will have to pay 12 if I don't have one. I would like to do 3 tris this year.

Thanks again!
Donna
2014-01-06 2:54 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but this is all so new. What is a USAT card? Almost ready to sign up for one in April but it says I will have to pay 12 if I don't have one. I would like to do 3 tris this year. Thanks again! Donna

No such thing as too many questions!  Questions drive discussion and for anything you ask, there is probably someone else wondering the same thing.

USAT = USA Triathlon.  They are the governing body for the sport in the US looking after rules, sanctioning etc.  I believe they also provide insurance to races.  For any race that is sanctioned by USAT, you either need to be an annual member or purchase a one day license (the $12 you referred to).  Being Canadian I'm not entirely familiar with the benefits of membership but it appears to be $45/year so doing 3 races it would be cheaper to just pay the 1 day fee but there are lots of other benefits so it might be worth your while if you use those.  

http://www.usatriathlon.org/membership-services/benefits.aspx

2014-01-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by luvschips I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but this is all so new. What is a USAT card? Almost ready to sign up for one in April but it says I will have to pay 12 if I don't have one. I would like to do 3 tris this year. Thanks again! Donna

No such thing as too many questions!  Questions drive discussion and for anything you ask, there is probably someone else wondering the same thing.

USAT = USA Triathlon.  They are the governing body for the sport in the US looking after rules, sanctioning etc.  I believe they also provide insurance to races.  For any race that is sanctioned by USAT, you either need to be an annual member or purchase a one day license (the $12 you referred to).  Being Canadian I'm not entirely familiar with the benefits of membership but it appears to be $45/year so doing 3 races it would be cheaper to just pay the 1 day fee but there are lots of other benefits so it might be worth your while if you use those.  

http://www.usatriathlon.org/membership-services/benefits.aspx

As a comparison I have to join Triathlon Ontario to participate in the sanctioned races in my area. Its costs about $50 for the year or about $10 for each race as one off fees.

I have paid for the year this year, not becasue I will enter enough races to make it worthwhile but becasue:

1) you get some additional added insurance for the season
2) you get a magazine where I will hopefully find some discount codes and find out about events that are not so visible on the internet.
3) it was something I could do early in the season to commit to the events

other benefits include being able to go to thier seminars and training camps but I am unlikely to have time to do this and this is aimed more at age groupers and pros wanting to go to nationals and other qualifying events.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16