BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-01-15 9:17 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN

Thanks everyone.

Gary - Back is feeling tight/achy, mostly on left. Feel like I might try the pool again tomorrow. Going to try stretches ransick suggested.

Joe - I started out with a heart rate monitor, but also ditched it when I felt like I more or less knew what I was doing. Would like to have a Garmin though. Maybe steal my hubby's on weekends... But I am a creature of habit and only run certain routes that I have mapped in BT already.

The drunk driver is a medical doctor with 3 kids, who lost his wife in a car accident some years ago. Tragic all around. He stopped and tried to assist her and called the ambulance. He has been charged with DUI and involuntary manslaughter. Addiction is a terrible disease.

The good news from here is that my son is fine and the ortho doc thinks it was just a viral infection, which sometimes happens in kids, and so there's nothing to worry about. I let him watch mickey mouse while icing his knee and now he is constantly saying, "I think I need more icing Mommy"! so he can get more screen time. Stinker.

2014-01-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by miche033

Thanks everyone.

Gary - Back is feeling tight/achy, mostly on left. Feel like I might try the pool again tomorrow. Going to try stretches ransick suggested.

Joe - I started out with a heart rate monitor, but also ditched it when I felt like I more or less knew what I was doing. Would like to have a Garmin though. Maybe steal my hubby's on weekends... But I am a creature of habit and only run certain routes that I have mapped in BT already.

The drunk driver is a medical doctor with 3 kids, who lost his wife in a car accident some years ago. Tragic all around. He stopped and tried to assist her and called the ambulance. He has been charged with DUI and involuntary manslaughter. Addiction is a terrible disease.

The good news from here is that my son is fine and the ortho doc thinks it was just a viral infection, which sometimes happens in kids, and so there's nothing to worry about. I let him watch mickey mouse while icing his knee and now he is constantly saying, "I think I need more icing Mommy"! so he can get more screen time. Stinker.

I was really hoping the driver responsible for the accident would be appropriately charged and dealt with. But, then we learn his story and it is even more of a tragedy. Not much of a consolation but it was good that he stayed and tried to help.

Last night after I read your post about the accident and visited the facebook page friends of ours in Calgary, Alberta emailed to tell us about the same accident. I don't know how they heard of it but maybe the triathlon community has brought us all a lot closer together.

If your low back is tight/achey then it is less strain and more muscle spasm so treat yourself to a massage - 1 hour and no talking during the massage just relax and enjoy it and some "Icy Hot". If you don't have the time to get to a massage therapist's office then get hubby to do it (for atleast 20 minutes - still no talking) at home.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-01-15 9:11 PM
2014-01-15 11:38 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

windsor, Ontario
Training going well. My biggest issue is that I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom 10 minutes into running, no matter what I do beforehand. Bit of a pain in the butt, no pun intended.
2014-01-16 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

Good Morning!

I would like to join this group!

My name is Kyle 26 single, no kids, no excuses right!

I did a sprint triathlon two summers ago, last summer I did a two day 220 km bike ride!

My goals are primarily fitness and wieght loss! Currently tipping the scale at 240 lbs, would like to get down to 200 this summer.

I got lots of compliments last year on my hill climbing last year do just imagine what I could do 40 lbs lighter.

I am signed up for a sprint on June 8, 2014 and the same 220 km ride on August 8, 2013

Just had a tattoo touched up so will be resuming swim training hopefully next week!

I wasn't very good at logging last year! But this a new year! So hopefully I will hit some high mileage!

2014-01-16 8:57 AM
in reply to: ktoolz

User image

Click the attachment below to see the Hashers and Mashers mid-Jan 2014 training stats. This is something Joe had done for a while and many folks liked. Leaders marked in yellow. Keep up the great work!

Attachments
----------------
HMJan2014Mid.xls (13KB - 29 downloads)
2014-01-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri Click the attachment below to see the Hashers and Mashers mid-Jan 2014 training stats. This is something Joe had done for a while and many folks liked. Leaders marked in yellow. Keep up the great work!
Man!  I thought for sure I'd be leading something, you guys are tough!  Great work everyone!  Thanks for putting the stats together, Psy, very much appreciated.

2014-01-16 11:12 AM

User image

You were SOOOOOOOOOOO close on the swim and run! I've got my money on you or tatous for the end-of-the-month stats!
2014-01-16 12:03 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Good Job Gary for the punctual update!!!!

Lets make this interesting for all of us since everyone is picking up on their training.

I am giving away New Aquasphere Goggles for the Longest Training Hours end of Feb 2014, Everyone is included.Makes sense
I am DQ'ed

I also have something for the Girls for the Feb.2014 Longest hours.

joe knows i like giving away stuff Cheers!!

Happy Training everyone!!!!

(aquasphere.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aquasphere.jpg (39KB - 2 downloads)
2014-01-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Trying this again this year after I fell off the wagon midseason.

NAME: Markus

STORY: Been trying to do a triathlon for 5 or 6 years now and seems like life gets in the way every single year. Between adding to the family and injuries the first few years, last year was wasted with trying to figure out some issues with my peripheral nerves and autonomous system that were finally diagnosed after 9 months and countless doctors with Guillain Barre Syndrome (it's an autoimmune disease). Now that I seem to be able to do things again I want to give it another shot this year and hopefully be spared from major life events and injuries/sickness.

FAMILY STATUS: married with three daughters (17, 14 and 1 1/2) and a 3 year old son

CURRENT TRAINING: Started walking/running yesterday. Nothing definite put on the schedule yet.

2014 RACES: 1 or 2 sprints. Nothing picked yet

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm right around 180-190 at the moment. Not a huge concern for me. 10-20 lbs will fall off once I get more serious

Edited by johnthecat 2014-01-16 2:35 PM
2014-01-16 4:20 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by johnthecat

STORY: Been trying to do a triathlon for 5 or 6 years now and seems like life gets in the way every single year. Between adding to the family and injuries the first few years, last year was wasted with trying to figure out some issues with my peripheral nerves and autonomous system that were finally diagnosed after 9 months and countless doctors with Guillain Barre Syndrome (it's an autoimmune disease). Now that I seem to be able to do things again I want to give it another shot this year and hopefully be spared from major life events and injuries/sickness.

FAMILY STATUS: married with three daughters (17, 14 and 1 1/2) and a 3 year old son

CURRENT TRAINING: Started walking/running yesterday. Nothing definite put on the schedule yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm right around 180-190 at the moment. Not a huge concern for me. 10-20 lbs will fall off once I get more serious

Glad to have you back Mark , was wondering what happend , not too many Texans here. GBS is not cool and very familiar with it affects you down to up. Your recovery is actually fast and good timing you have good months ahead of you and all the sprints are scheduled in town.... Goodluck!!!!
2014-01-16 4:58 PM

User image

Thanks for doing the monthly stats. I really need to step it up! Do you only factor in the swim, bike, and run hours in the monthly totals? Just curious because I have been strength training like a gym rat lately due to all of this crappy weather.

2014-01-16 6:10 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - CLOSED
Welcome Kyle!
2014-01-16 6:14 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by johnthecat

Welcome Markus!
2014-01-16 6:40 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by TRIal_of_milesThanks for doing the monthly stats. I really need to step it up! Do you only factor in the swim, bike, and run hours in the monthly totals? Just curious because I have been strength training like a gym rat lately due to all of this crappy weather.
Yeah, historically we only consider SBR for the stats.
2014-01-16 7:43 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Thanks for doing the monthly stats. I really need to step it up! Do you only factor in the swim, bike, and run hours in the monthly totals? Just curious because I have been strength training like a gym rat lately due to all of this crappy weather.

That's the competitor we all know!!!! LOL!

I emulated Joe's format when I took over, and that did not include strength training. Probably because it could skew the multisport totals. For example, if someone does 8 hours a week in the gym, that could push them up in the overall standings, even if they were not really emphasizing swim, bike, or run. Not sure that's what would be most motivating to people. I'm open to people's suggestions and will do what people want, either way. Let me know, everybody.
2014-01-16 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Thanks for doing the monthly stats. I really need to step it up! Do you only factor in the swim, bike, and run hours in the monthly totals? Just curious because I have been strength training like a gym rat lately due to all of this crappy weather.
That's the competitor we all know!!!! LOL! I emulated Joe's format when I took over, and that did not include strength training. Probably because it could skew the multisport totals. For example, if someone does 8 hours a week in the gym, that could push them up in the overall standings, even if they were not really emphasizing swim, bike, or run. Not sure that's what would be most motivating to people. I'm open to people's suggestions and will do what people want, either way. Let me know, everybody.
Yeah, I took over for Sarah and it's always been SBR only.  I've always thought about it the same way as Psy noted.  One of my coworkers used to be a bodybuilder, before she had a kid last year she'd have dominated the time part of our stats, but she couldn't swim, bike, or run worth a damn, let alone do an actual tri.  I know sport and gym work has its place, but for the purposes of the stats it's always been SBR only.  It's up to Psy though, it's his deal now.

2014-01-16 9:23 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I agree it's up to Gary (Psy). He who does the stats makes up the rules.

Speaking of stats, looks like my streak with the running trophy is coming to an end. Good work everyone!
2014-01-16 9:38 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by GregDufour

Training going well. My biggest issue is that I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom 10 minutes into running, no matter what I do beforehand. Bit of a pain in the butt, no pun intended.

You can reasonably expect this problem to gradually go away as you get in better shape. As an aside - maybe have a look at what you're eating with an eye to how much fibre you're eating in a day.
2014-01-16 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi Kyle, My wife and I flew to Edmonton last Sept then drove to Vermilion (just west of Lloydminster) for a wedding. From what I saw I'd love to take my bike back out there to ride some of the paved back roads. Looked like they could be fun with lots of rolling hills and some good winds as well I imagine.

2014-01-16 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4917473

User image

Hey Guys just got home from work camp, they just had a crappy bike so I finally started to run again on the dread mill! it's been too long! But I did a total of 5.5 miles over the three days!

But as soon as I got home today I joyishly hopped on my trailer and pounded out 45 min ride! 20 km

Going to work on back logging this week work outs!

Last week I was riding my bike with out a computer so I have no mileage!
2014-01-16 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Welcome back Markus. About your GBS - glad you atleast know what you're fighting. I hope we can see you successfully through a couple events this year.

Tay and Greg - way to go on your stats. Keep up the good work.

Gary - really appreciate your posting the stats. This time it caught me by surprise - I forgot it was time for them again.

I went to my cycling again tonight hoping that after Tuesday's 20min TT we would have a slightly easier session. No such luck! In effect we did two 20 min TT tonight. By the end of the second 20 minute set I was sweating so hard I couldn't believe it. Twenty minutes after the class I was still breathing harder than normal which is really unusual for me.

2014-01-16 10:14 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by ktoolz

Hey Guys just got home from work camp, they just had a crappy bike so I finally started to run again on the dread mill! it's been too long! But I did a total of 5.5 miles over the three days!

But as soon as I got home today I joyishly hopped on my trailer and pounded out 45 min ride! 20 km

You can estimate your mileage based on time and effort. I did that when in heavy trainer mode.
2014-01-16 10:17 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Welcome back Markus. About your GBS - glad you atleast know what you're fighting. I hope we can see you successfully through a couple events this year.

Tay and Greg - way to go on your stats. Keep up the good work.

Gary - really appreciate your posting the stats. This time it caught me by surprise - I forgot it was time for them again.

I went to my cycling again tonight hoping that after Tuesday's 20min TT we would have a slightly easier session. No such luck! In effect we did two 20 min TT tonight. By the end of the second 20 minute set I was sweating so hard I couldn't believe it. Twenty minutes after the class I was still breathing harder than normal which is really unusual for me.

Sounds like a great workout George!
2014-01-16 10:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi Kyle, My wife and I flew to Edmonton last Sept then drove to Vermilion (just west of Lloydminster) for a wedding. From what I saw I'd love to take my bike back out there to ride some of the paved back roads. Looked like they could be fun with lots of rolling hills and some good winds as well I imagine.

[/QUOTE

Yeah its great I live actually outside of Edmonton a place called Spruce Grove, And I just so happen to live on top of a double set of those rolling hills!
Hence why I get compliments on my hill climbing!

Yeah it's a great place for riding except our season is quite short unless you are truly HAF, i see a few winter riders. Friends with one in fact but he only comutes about 5km compared to my 50 km comute that I have made a few times in the summer. And the roads and hills get better to the west.
2014-01-16 11:04 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by ktoolz

You can estimate your mileage based on time and effort. I did that when in heavy trainer mode.

Thats what I did! Unfortunately I didnt track my time for my my first three rides of the year
But feel free to check out my training logs!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21562 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37894 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 20302 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.