BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Good luck racing this weekend, George. I know your swim will be lightning fast.

How do I know this? I checked out your training log, and what did I see? First of all, you've been swimming great lengths consistently. Secondly, but quite possibly MORE IMPORTANTLY, you've been swimming in Okanagan Lake. Why would this be predictive of great swim times, you may ask? Because the lake is rumored to be inhabited by it's own serpentine water monster! Don't believe me? Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo

Now, we all know your secret training algorithm:

Speedy Swim = Lots of Swimming + Swim Trying-to-Avoid-Possible-Consumption-By-Mythical-Lake-Monster

Very brilliant, my friend! (And I thought swimming to avoid consumption by sharks down here was motivating!)

Have a great race. Swim fast, lest ye be eaten! Can't wait to hear your report.

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by PsyTri 2014-06-13 1:45 PM

2014-06-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Ah ha! Now the secret is out! :-D:-D:-D
2014-06-14 10:47 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I've been learning to tumbleturn in the pool this week. The main problem I have though, is dizziness and then nausea- I end up so seasick! I'm hoping this will settle with practice, but has anyone else had to deal with it? Any tips or tricks? I'm just going slowly at the moment, without the twist after you push off, and that seems to be helping a bit.

I hope everyone's been having a great weekend!

2014-06-15 12:46 PM

User image

Does anyone know of a sea monster that is no longer wanted? I would love to transplant it into Lake Arbutus to help me swim faster!

Rode next weekends Olympic course yesterday. very hilly. don't expect any PR's there, but should be fun nonetheless as its my wife's first race at that distance, so it will be great seeing her finish.

Hope everyone had a great training weekend,
Todd
2014-06-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

feeling kind of in the dumps since i can't work out on this ankle.  any suggestions what i can do?

Swim with a pull buoy so you don't have to kick?
2014-06-16 7:13 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ransick

feeling kind of in the dumps since i can't work out on this ankle.  any suggestions what i can do?

Swim with a pull buoy so you don't have to kick?

swam friday and it felt pretty good - only hurt when i pushed off the wall, and even that was like nothing.  like a really smart person though, i spent saturday at a cookout at a friend's house drinking beers, and when we went to a street fair later that night i was out in the street doing the cupid shuffle, cha cha slide, and what ever other stupid line dances the dj played.  i woke up sunday morning with a fat swollen tender ankle.  dumb dumb dumb!

2014-06-16 10:26 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Nutrition Question Fellas???

1.) Anybody make their own smoothie? any recipee that i can add caffeine?

2.) Anybody have a recipee for "fuel bars" preferably calories and energy and 0 protein.?

Any information helps

Thanks in Advance

Carlo

2014-06-17 10:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!!!

I was wondering why I was no longer getting emails when people posted! I would love to rejoin!

STORY: I have always been an athlete (including swimming when I was in elementary school and track/XC in HS and college). I made a goal many years ago to start training for triathlons, but kept making excuses why I didn't have enough time to really train. About 6 months ago I stopped making excuses and started training for my first sprint tri, which is in less than 2 weeks!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, and the proud mama of the sweetest little cat ever.

CURRENT TRAINING: Competing in the Allatoona Triathlon on June 29th (sprint) and probably signing up for the Baltimore Tri in October, which is either a sprint or an oly, so I have to decide what distance I want to do (we will see how this first one goes ). I was feeling really anxious about this upcoming tri b/c I have not been out on my bike really at all, but I did an SBR with my tri club on Saturday and felt really good! It has re-energized me and made me feel even more excited for it!

WEIGHTLOSS: I would still like to drop a few pounds, but I'm pretty happy with my weight right now. On top of the tri training I have been leading boot camps with my girl friends 1-2 times per week. It is great for some extra toning/core work, and it helps a lot to have the motivation of my friends.

I need to get caught up on all the posts I have missed! On top of everything else, I just started a new job 2 weeks ago, so life has been pretty crazy! I will post more later!
2014-06-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi all!!!

I was wondering why I was no longer getting emails when people posted! I would love to rejoin!

STORY: I have always been an athlete (including swimming when I was in elementary school and track/XC in HS and college). I made a goal many years ago to start training for triathlons, but kept making excuses why I didn't have enough time to really train. About 6 months ago I stopped making excuses and started training for my first sprint tri, which is in less than 2 weeks!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, and the proud mama of the sweetest little cat ever.

CURRENT TRAINING: Competing in the Allatoona Triathlon on June 29th (sprint) and probably signing up for the Baltimore Tri in October, which is either a sprint or an oly, so I have to decide what distance I want to do (we will see how this first one goes ). I was feeling really anxious about this upcoming tri b/c I have not been out on my bike really at all, but I did an SBR with my tri club on Saturday and felt really good! It has re-energized me and made me feel even more excited for it!

WEIGHTLOSS: I would still like to drop a few pounds, but I'm pretty happy with my weight right now. On top of the tri training I have been leading boot camps with my girl friends 1-2 times per week. It is great for some extra toning/core work, and it helps a lot to have the motivation of my friends.

I need to get caught up on all the posts I have missed! On top of everything else, I just started a new job 2 weeks ago, so life has been pretty crazy! I will post more later!

Welcome Back Nicole!!!
2014-06-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome back Nicole! Any questions about your upcoming tri?
2014-06-17 8:53 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Nutrition Question Fellas???

1.) Anybody make their own smoothie? any recipee that i can add caffeine?

2.) Anybody have a recipee for "fuel bars" preferably calories and energy and 0 protein.?

Any information helps

Thanks in Advance

Carlo

Carlo,

I've never made smoothies but found some recipes here http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2013/03/29/12-healthy-bre... One has caffeine but I would think you could add it to just about any one.

I haven't made fuel bars either. Sorry.

2014-06-17 9:21 PM

User image

Welcome, Nicole!

Anyone hear from George? Would love to hear how the Oly went this weekend and read his RR.
2014-06-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
St. Louis

had an AMAZING run this morning, of course, it was only 63 degrees.

this is the hydration pack i'm currently eyeing up, great reviews.   CamelBak Delaney I tried on a similar one at the running store and tested it on the treadmill - it had a velcro closure which i didn't like but this Delaney has thinner straps and a buckle....probably will order today and hope i love it!

Did you get the hydration belt? If so, do you like it?
2014-06-17 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Evening All,  I just got home a little while ago and just got everything put away.  The trip included a 2 hour ferry trip across to Vancouver Island.  No killer whales on this trip but we saw porpoise (plural), seals and lots of bald eagles.  The return trip this morning was pretty bland.  No interesting wildlife.

The Oly was tougher than I expected and my time reflects that but I had a lot of fun.  I'll start working on a RR tonight and get it posted as soon as I can.  The weather really caught us off guard and was alternately bitter cold/windy then hot.

Nicole - Glad to see you're back with us.

Marilyn - When I injured my calf running I was still able to swim and bike without any aggravation.  I just was careful to keep my ankle in a neutral position with only minimal flexing while cycling.

Gary - I have to confess that Ogopogo is often on my mind when I swim.  While I'm swimming I have time to dwell on silly things so it's every water monster I've ever seen and a few land ones as well.  My favourite is the "Creature from the Black Lagoon".  Most of our Okanagan swim is in shallow water over nice sandy bottom in non-weedy water until we get closer to the far end where it deepens and you can't see the bottom anymore.

Actually, the most dangerous thing we have to contend with is other swimmers.  I once swam between two swimmers headed in the opposite direction as me.  They weren't 4 feet apart and I was within a foot of the person on my left.  A pretty close call - head-on collisions hurt. 

2014-06-18 1:08 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hey, has anyone come across a hamstring/adductor injury (near the knee) that only affects you when you ride...? I have been fighting with this for three weeks and no improvement is happening. I can feel my bike strength fading away... I can run without any pain at all, but I can't ride more than ten minutes. My physio can't figure it out.

The upside... I am getting a clinical bike fit which I've always wanted to do (but could never justify the money). Might get the pedal analysis while I am at it. Looking forward to that.

2014-06-18 4:07 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Carlo-smoothies can be as easy or as complicated as you like, basically just put milk, yoghurt, and banana in a blender and whizz it together. Add honey, your choice of fruit, whatever else you feel like (protein powder/chia seeds/eggs/flaxseed oil/wheatgrass if you're really hardcore...anything!). For a carb-only fuel bar...unless you use pure sugars you're going to get some protein eg. oats are around 17% protein, wheat 12%...). I've been trying to come up with a real food energy supply that sits well on my stomach for running and biking, so far I've confirmed dates and pretzels, also fig rolls. 

2014-06-18 4:12 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Nicole, welcome back, and good luck with the upcoming race! I'm sure you'll have a blast .

George,  great to hear you had fun despite the conditions. Look forward to the race report!

Chris, No idea about the hamstring but sounds like the bike fit might be the way forward.  I'm leaning more and more towards getting it done too

2014-06-18 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ransick

had an AMAZING run this morning, of course, it was only 63 degrees.

this is the hydration pack i'm currently eyeing up, great reviews.   CamelBak Delaney I tried on a similar one at the running store and tested it on the treadmill - it had a velcro closure which i didn't like but this Delaney has thinner straps and a buckle....probably will order today and hope i love it!

Did you get the hydration belt? If so, do you like it?

it arrives tomorrow!  i will not be able to test it out running, though, as i tried to run this morning and i still cannot bear down weight on my right foot.  i am 10 days past sprain.  i just want to run again!  never thought i would say that!

2014-06-18 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi all!!! I was wondering why I was no longer getting emails when people posted! I would love to rejoin! STORY: I have always been an athlete (including swimming when I was in elementary school and track/XC in HS and college). I made a goal many years ago to start training for triathlons, but kept making excuses why I didn't have enough time to really train. About 6 months ago I stopped making excuses and started training for my first sprint tri, which is in less than 2 weeks! FAMILY STATUS: Single, and the proud mama of the sweetest little cat ever. CURRENT TRAINING: Competing in the Allatoona Triathlon on June 29th (sprint) and probably signing up for the Baltimore Tri in October, which is either a sprint or an oly, so I have to decide what distance I want to do (we will see how this first one goes ). I was feeling really anxious about this upcoming tri b/c I have not been out on my bike really at all, but I did an SBR with my tri club on Saturday and felt really good! It has re-energized me and made me feel even more excited for it! WEIGHTLOSS: I would still like to drop a few pounds, but I'm pretty happy with my weight right now. On top of the tri training I have been leading boot camps with my girl friends 1-2 times per week. It is great for some extra toning/core work, and it helps a lot to have the motivation of my friends. I need to get caught up on all the posts I have missed! On top of everything else, I just started a new job 2 weeks ago, so life has been pretty crazy! I will post more later!

nice to "meet" you nicole.  if you are anything like me you will be signing up for the oly - i did one in my first tri season and it was a blast!

2014-06-18 9:32 AM

User image

George - great to hear you made it back safe. Sounds like some odd weather! Looking forward to reading more about it. I almost witnessed a head-on collision in the pool the other day - it could have gotten ugly, but one of the swimmers veered at the last moment.

Carlo - Not sure why you are looking for 0% protein. I'm drinking some smoothies these days for recovery, and am looking for protein. I had one this morning: one banana, 1 to 1-1/2 cups frozen strawberries, a BIG handful of greens (spinach, chard, kale), 2 tbsp plain fat-free yogurt, 1/4 to 1/3 cup canned pineapple juice, 1 scoop of vanilla flavored whey protein powder. Delicious. I've done it with a splash of OJ and a mixed frozen berry blend. For snacks (again, sorry - have protein), those coconut, date, almond power treats that George recommended are very tasty and filling and chock full of good stuff. Enjoy.

Sorry - nothing to offer on the hamstring injury. Sounds like a sports medicine case. Hopefully, you have a good doc. Then again, have you considered posting the question to the forum? BT also has an injury section with some information that could be helpful. Good luck.
2014-06-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Originally posted by cadnams

Hey, has anyone come across a hamstring/adductor injury (near the knee) that only affects you when you ride...? I have been fighting with this for three weeks and no improvement is happening. I can feel my bike strength fading away... I can run without any pain at all, but I can't ride more than ten minutes. My physio can't figure it out.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/triathlon-injuries.asp

2014-06-18 10:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
It's good to be back, thanks for the welcome!

As for questions for my upcoming tri, I think any hints with the transitions would be great. I have talked with some of my tri club members about it, but not enough. I haven't really practiced them at all, so I have no idea what to expect.

Mehaner - I am not sure if this will hurt your ankle, but a great workout when you are injured is aquajogging. I did it in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and was able to come back in 6 weeks and didn't feel too far behind. It's incredibly boring though, just to warn you. Not sure how this will feel on your ankle, but it's worth a try! http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/a-new-kind-of-brick-try-aq...

George, glad to hear you had a good time! Can't wait to see your RR
2014-06-18 10:57 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by nicole14e

It's good to be back, thanks for the welcome!

As for questions for my upcoming tri, I think any hints with the transitions would be great. I have talked with some of my tri club members about it, but not enough. I haven't really practiced them at all, so I have no idea what to expect.

Mehaner - I am not sure if this will hurt your ankle, but a great workout when you are injured is aquajogging. I did it in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and was able to come back in 6 weeks and didn't feel too far behind. It's incredibly boring though, just to warn you. Not sure how this will feel on your ankle, but it's worth a try! http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/a-new-kind-of-brick-try-aq...

George, glad to hear you had a good time! Can't wait to see your RR

Nicole

Congrats on signing up on your first Tri i am sure you will have a blast one thing would be you can expect with your level swimming or the Fishy that you are expect physical contact on your swim start, being BOP at swim i am always on front row seats watching Fishies go against shoulder to shoulder to get that straight line to the buoy. My swim instructor( Div1 swim coach) told me one time on her HIM she took a solid strong back slap that she went spiraling down, but being a strong/fast swimmer like you was able to recover. With transition i am sure Mike will come up with practical ideas or pics thats were i got it from my first sprint.

Good luck and have fun.

2014-06-18 11:11 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Gary / Anna

I was going for 0 protein since my nutrition on races have always been 0 protein Gu gels/Skratchlabs/Perform i am trying BonkBreakers i dont know if that has protein. i just want to try making my own fuel bars instead. In smoothies i am looking into Coconut with Coconut juice since its rich with natural electrolytes.

If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks
2014-06-18 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=518558&posts=1#M5014348

If this works then the race report is done.  It may be a little bit verbose.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-06-18 3:25 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38700 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74173 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.