Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2023-02-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Remember when I said if everything goes perfectly, I’d make it to the hotel in Minia in time to get a swim in? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! I should know better! The three hour trip was six hours. By the time the pool closes, we were close enough to Cairo that I could have walked back to my apartment faster than we had gotten to that spot. Probably all for the best, it is ingested and it is 48F here (9C). Brrrr

2023-02-08 2:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Nicole...welcome back!  Glad you had a good time and are getting back into the groove.  I might head to Masters next Friday.

@Gretchen:  the best laid plans LOL; your bad math on the run was hilarious

@Andrew:  sounds like the summer we had last year here, just kinda swampy and gross; good job getting rolling on the running

Yesterday was a slightly toned-down Tuesday:  5K run with some rep pace and tempo intervals, lower body strength training, core work, and a really short cool down in the pool.  I think I overcooked it a little on the ST work as my back tightened up on me pretty good.  Significantly better today so still hoping for a go for the 5K race Saturday.  Day off today with a bike test tomorrow. 

We're headed to Hilton Head for two weeks and then Orlando for four after that (outdoor cycling!!!)- I managed to find a cheap aquatic center in HH so happy about that.  They actually have a Masters team that swims every morning if I wanted to pay another $10 to drop-in.

2023-02-09 12:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome back Nicole!

Yeah Gretchen, maths is hard at 4:45, but what isn’t at too effing early O'clock?

Your rest week sounds like a regular week for me Mike.

Looks like you are handling your dip in motivation well Andrew!

On Monday I was feeling unmotivated at work so I left early and did the next session on my Zwift training plan which happened to be a FTP test. Well, turned out it wasn’t just work I couldn’t be arsed with that day… so now my FTP on Zwift is even lower than the low number I got before, which means the power required in my workouts will be all wrong.
Will do it again tonight, hopefully with better sucess.

Good week so far other than the FTP debacle (and guess what, missing the pool- No Gretchen, it’s too early for OWS, there is still a layer of ice on the lake, which makes it difficult, you have to break the ice with an axe as you swim, it really slows you down)

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-02-09 8:23 AM
2023-02-09 6:49 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Whelp, the second test didn't go quite as well this morning.  I slept like garbage and wound up getting up early and racing at 5:10 AM after a 20 minute warm-up with the expected results.  Did OK placing 51st out of 81 in C group and I just cracked the final 30 seconds or so which cost me like 5-8 places.  Went out too fast (held with lead group for the first 5 minutes), didn't know the course, etc.  Highest 20 minutes power was 260 which was like 15 watts under goal.  Legs had no "snap" in them either.  Oh well - I'll get another shot at bringing down the hammer on Saturday with a 5K race. 

2023-02-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl so now my FTP on Zwift is even lower than the low number I got before, which means the power required in my workouts will be all wrong. Will do it again tonight, hopefully with better sucess. Good week so far other than the FTP debacle (and guess what, missing the pool- No Gretchen, it’s too early for OWS, there is still a layer of ice on the lake, which makes it difficult, you have to break the ice with an axe as you swim, it really slows you down)

Just ignore the results, Nathalie, and set your FTP where you want it.  I usually set my FTP in Zwift and Trainer Road a little higher than I test out because I suck at suffering staring at a television screen.

The axe while swimming thing makes for a good mental image.  Stroke - CHOP - stroke - CHOP.

ETA:  And Nicole is an axe-throwing champion - you could do a relay!!! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-02-09 6:57 AM
2023-02-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl so now my FTP on Zwift is even lower than the low number I got before, which means the power required in my workouts will be all wrong. Will do it again tonight, hopefully with better sucess. Good week so far other than the FTP debacle (and guess what, missing the pool- No Gretchen, it’s too early for OWS, there is still a layer of ice on the lake, which makes it difficult, you have to break the ice with an axe as you swim, it really slows you down)

Just ignore the results, Nathalie, and set your FTP where you want it.  I usually set my FTP in Zwift and Trainer Road a little higher than I test out because I suck at suffering staring at a television screen.

The axe while swimming thing makes for a good mental image.  Stroke - CHOP - stroke - CHOP.

I didn't know you could set up your FTP manually. I have done it now, a little higher than the result I got in my previous test. Thanks for the tip.

Great idea for a new sport, the axe throwing ice breaking challenge

2023-02-09 11:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I didn't know you could set up your FTP manually. I have done it now, a little higher than the result I got in my previous test. Thanks for the tip.

Great idea for a new sport, the axe throwing ice breaking challenge

Sounds dangerous, but also something I would totally be into!
2023-02-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike I'll aim for masters next Friday too!

Got in a 20 minute strength workout this morning. I've been tired so have been snoozing a bit, and need to put my phone somewhere I can't reach it without getting out of bed. Either way, I still did it, and also did some dishes, took the trash out and cleaned my bathroom...so all in all, a good morning!
2023-02-10 4:34 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Busy couple of days. Whirlwind 32 hour trip down to Amarna that included 14 hours of car travel and 14 hours of filming…and not nearly enough sleep! I had hoped to get in a bike ride when I got home yesterday, but it was a non-starter by the time I walked in the apartment at 10pm. No way…so yesterday was a very tiring “test day.” Slept in a bit this morning and then did a 40’ Z1 run followed by several coffees, breakfast, cleaning my apartment and finally, an hour of tempo intervals on the bike. Now I’m enjoying my patio and contemplating the ethics of befriending a crow that likes to visit when I know I’ll only live here for a few months (and also the likelihood that I probably need to make some more human friends here).
2023-02-11 5:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You should definitely befriend the crow, sounds like fun. Oh and also human friends if you think you need them (I’d be happy with just the crow)

12.5km slow run on the menu today. Never ran more than 12 before so it’s PB day! It’s also a gorgeous sunny and warmer day, which will make for a nice run.

Have a great weekend y’all Good luck in your race Mike (it is today, right, your 5k?)

2023-02-11 7:32 AM

, Massachusetts
Ugh - back to back weeks of bad training. The pool at the gym wasn’t fixed until Wednesday, but by that time our little one brought home a present from daycare and all three of us have been down for the count. I tried to swim yesterday but only made it 750M before realizing that it was going to end poorly if I tried to press on. I couldn’t breathe for the life of me.

Fortunately, I got two Zwifts and a run in early in the week, so not all was lost. At least this virus/bug/hiccup seems to be winding down as of this morning. It’s nice not to be in a sinus congestion fog for the first time in a few days. Almost forgot what it’s like!

Hoping everyone else had a good week!

2023-02-11 9:30 AM
in reply to: thin_concrete

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Jay...you too, huh?  Seems like this winter is a bear for colds.  Figures I suppose as we didn't really fight them off for a couple of years.

@Nathalie - I bailed on my 5K this morning - my back has been a little iffy this week so no sense pushing it.  Instead I tortured myself with another 20 minute test during a bike race .

@Nicole:  50/50 on going to Masters...yes I want to but I'm in a really good training groove including swimming and I don't want to mess it up doing 1K yards of breaststroke drills

Much better result this morning in my bike race as I placed 48th out of about 120 finishers and I held with the 2nd group the whole race and just got out-kicked at the end.  264 watts 20 minute power which isn't an all-time PR but it's within 4-5 watts so getting there.  I'll test again in a month.

Easy recovery workout tomorrow then Build 3 starts where I really start to add volume on the run and bike and back off the strength work a little (which is probably a good idea as I injured myself a little doing heavy sets).

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2023-02-11 9:46 AM
in reply to: #5284345

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Jay—sorry to hear about the cold. Get better soon!

@Mike—too bad about the race, but nice swap with the bike 20’ test.

@ Nathalie—woot!! PR!!

I did a two hour trainer ride with intervals. It was one of those rides it took 3.5 hours to talk myself into doing the two hour ride. Not the most productive day in general, since all 3.5 hours were filled with coffee and crossword puzzles, but in the end, I got it done.
2023-02-12 8:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One hour Z2 run this morning around the island. Took a little tumble on one of the bridge underpasses (pedestrian walkway under bridge off the island). No injuries this time...just a little dirty because that particular underpass isn't paved (read...I was filthy and I hope to never think about what I actually rolled in).

Going to try to be up for the Super Bowl tonight. It starts at 1:30am here, so I figure I can nap a bit this evening, watch the game, and then catch another nap before I need to go into the office for the day. I plan to do my scheduled strength training during the commercial breaks (because I do not care about commercials!). I'll be cheering for the Chiefs. Nothing against the Eagles...we lived in KC for two years, so it just seems natural.
2023-02-12 7:22 PM
in reply to: #5284353

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Strength training finished up at the beginning of halftime. I did not get in a nap in the evening. Somehow I sat down to work after getting a water at 4:30. The next thing I knew it was 10! I was focused, I guess. Anyway, had to get some dinner in and that kills any hope for sleep. Nap after the game!

Funny thing is just this morning Garmin gave me the notice about my sleep schedule not being regular (duh Garmin, thanks for telling me what I already know!). Guess I should hit the “no, this was not helpful” button. :D
2023-02-12 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Pretty crappy week for me. Some planned training got 'lifed' away. Some I made excuses... easy to do after withdrawing from the target race Only 2 runs for 2hr 10 total. The only positive is my Saturday long run felt a lot better than last week. Probably due to a lot less heat and humidity.

Sundays half marathon was cancelled due to the incoming cyclone we're experiencing today. I was 99% going to skip it anyway so that worked out. I've got a deferred entry for next years race, something to look forward to.

Got to sort myself out this week. Take a concrete pill, harden up and just get some work done.

2023-02-13 12:50 AM
in reply to: #5284360

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andre-stay safe man. I actually came on here just to say that, after reading about the storm in the news. Sorry you’ve been in a bit of a funk lately. One thing that helps me when I get in these types of situations is to set and nail one goal for the week. I try to make it something tri related, but not super difficult or time consuming. Commit to a 1’ plank a day (broken up, if necessary), or tell yourself that every time you get up from your desk at work you’ll do five reps of something (squats, lunges, star jumps, wall push-ups…or whatever you feel comfortable with in your office). The goal is to give yourself the small wins you can build on. You get the dopamine hit of the win, regardless of how small. It makes you want more (yes, it sounds like addiction!). Next week, up the goals a bit. Maybe that’s when you shoot for 30’ of something a day. Be easy on yourself. Concrete is very week in tension…
2023-02-13 1:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Andre-stay safe man. I actually came on here just to say that, after reading about the storm in the news. Sorry you’ve been in a bit of a funk lately. One thing that helps me when I get in these types of situations is to set and nail one goal for the week. I try to make it something tri related, but not super difficult or time consuming. Commit to a 1’ plank a day (broken up, if necessary), or tell yourself that every time you get up from your desk at work you’ll do five reps of something (squats, lunges, star jumps, wall push-ups…or whatever you feel comfortable with in your office). The goal is to give yourself the small wins you can build on. You get the dopamine hit of the win, regardless of how small. It makes you want more (yes, it sounds like addiction!). Next week, up the goals a bit. Maybe that’s when you shoot for 30’ of something a day. Be easy on yourself. Concrete is very week in tension…

Great advice!
2023-02-13 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Stay safe, Andrew.  Those storms are crazy, even with a side-swipe or degrading of intensity.  Hope you all keep power.

@Gretchen:  bummer you stayed up to watch the end of that game...so anti-climatic in an otherwise great game; Mahomes would do well in the Premier League for all of the injury drama he shows

Finished up last week with a Bikram Yoga session - it was PACKED.  Most people I've seen in a hot room in years.  A good week overall with some successful tests and a good strength/core week, too.

Day off today then the volume ramps up this week. 

2023-02-13 8:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

Thanks for the concern. Parts of the country have been hit pretty hard by this cyclone, it's going to be a long, expensive clean up for some. Fortunately Auckland, where I am, was not as bad as advertised, our biggest issue is 2 bored kids who want to go to school and kindy.

Rode on zwift last night. Not much but at least started the training week positively.
2023-02-13 10:32 PM
in reply to: #5284362

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—glad to hear the worst of the storm missed you guys! Great job on the Zwift ride!! Don’t dismiss it with a “not much” comment. You did it, and that’s great! Be proud of it!

I had a 51’ interval run this morning, which was actually 51’, because I did the math last night. Seven 1’ Z4 intervals after a nice long warm up. They felt great. Just fast enough to be tough, just short enough that I didn’t want to absolutely die at the end, with enough rest between to be ready to go again. Finished just as the sun started rising. Later today, 60’ Z2 bike. I need a new show to watch, as I finished Thw Bold Type over the weekend (it is actually really good, despite being about gen z fashion types—lots of great messages about women supporting each other).

2023-02-14 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great news, Andrew.  Glad you all missed the worst of it and glad you got a Zwift ride in. 

Way to nail that workout exactly to the minute, Gretchen!  I'm also doing short intervals during my runs (a little quicker, but a little shorter than a minute...more like mile race pace) with plenty of recovery so they're not that hard.  They also break up the runs which helps A LOT on the treadmill.  I have a 50-minute E (Z2) run on Thursday that I'm dreading. 

As noted, got in a treadmill run this morning after a short warm up ride on the spin bike, then did my leg strength set backing down the weights as I move into strength maintenance mode.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2023-02-14 1:56 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Nicole:  50/50 on going to Masters...yes I want to but I'm in a really good training groove including swimming and I don't want to mess it up doing 1K yards of breaststroke drills

Fair! That's why I show up a little late usually manage to miss at least some of the drills.
I went on Saturday. I actually got called out for doing something right, but it's because I showed up late and didn't know and everyone else was doing it wrong, lol. So I guess that's something.
Did a lot of kicking, then a lot of pulling, then finally some 50s, before I dipped out a little early. Overall think I did about 2200 yds, so not too shabby for the first time back in the water.
2023-02-14 1:59 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, glad to hear you're safe and didn't get hit too hard!

Gretchen, great advice on small goals. I really need to do that stuff more. I'm trying to get in the habit of doing nerve glides while I'm sitting at my desk to loosen up my hamstrings a bit. Need to set a reminder or I forget though.

Jay, glad to hear you're feeling better! Sorry you were sick and have had some rough training, but time to get back on track!

Nat, how'd the 12.5 go?
2023-02-14 2:01 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a very productive weekend. Between masters, visiting a friend, cleaning my kitchen, making some cookies, finishing laundry, and spending far too much at HomeGoods, it felt pretty good! I also worked late Friday and got a ton of emails out of my inbox, so feeling like my brain is a bit clearer to focus on work. Now just need to keep it that way...

Got in a 30 min. PZ ride this morning, followed by some core.

Happy Valentine's Day!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland