General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3575185

User image

Veteran
Boston
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
Dream Chaser - 2011-06-30 2:12 PM

Damn, I just looked at some of the CDA results and the amount of hours logged does not always equal the appropriate race result. 

Okay, I'm going to share what I think is one of the biggest secrets of endurance racing, aside from smart pacing, consistent training and dialed-in nutrition and it is....   DO YOUR Bike and Runs during the hottest part of the day whenever you can.  Many times, due to work schedule and convenience, we often Bike and Run in the morning or evening.  Problem is, on Race Day, we are on the Bike at high noon, and starting our run around 1 & 2:00.  WHEN IT'S HOTTEST OUT.  When you can, get your Long Bike's in during the afternoon, and ESPECIALLY RUN BETWEEN 12 & 3:00 in the afternoon. 

Perfect example, I swam 2 miles this morning at 6 AM and then ran 8 hilly miles.  It was early, cool and shady and my pace was 8:00 exact.  And I felt decent the whole run.  Just two days ago, we swam 2 miles in the same lake at noon, and then ran the same 8 hilly miles.  My friend that ran with me today and was flying from start to finish, he BLEW UP just two days ago on the same course while running in the middle of the day.  He walked.  I had to get in my car and pick him up.  My other buddy who ran with us in the afternoon Tuesday swore he saw God out there it was so hot.  On Tuesday afternoon in the heat and sun it was 9.5/10 brutal.  This morning, those same hills (and I was even more fatigued) felt like a 6/10 effort and I only suffered when climbing.  I suffered half of what I suffered just 48 hours prior, and the time of day was the only difference.

If time is a limiter, RUN during the hottest part of the day as often as possible.  On the bike you have a breeze and it's not as bad.  If it turns out race day is cool, then that'll just be an awesome bonus. 

Excellent advice and dead-on for me!  I've had some great training days in the cooler weather, but some horrible runs in the heat/humidity.  Trying to get as much hot and humid training in while I can.  Thanks!

2011-06-30 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3575193

User image

piratenick - 2011-06-30 2:14 PM How am I feeling? Like I've raced a ton of ironmans in training! LOL I'm ready for taper to begin. I've got one more race this Saturday before Placid then it's three weeks of biding my time. I'm doing everything and anything I can to stay healthy this month. Lots of hand sanitizer and soap! I said it a week or so ago and I'll say it again, aside from freshening up I feel ready. I'm pumped to do this. It's all about the positivity!

Yeah - I'm starting to rethink my taper.  I just read a great post in the CDA thread by Josh Kaptur about "ketchup" & "icing" workouts right before the big day.  I think the moral of the story is, follow your plan -- you can't (ketchup) catch-up on missed workouts and you shouldn't 'test' your fitness the weekend before race day. 

I am very fatigued right now and have little speed compared to workouts from earlier in the year, and after reading Josh's post, I'm feeling good about that.  I want to save my best workout for Race Day; not training.  At least that's the plan   

When you look at how many Pro's, people that do this for a living, DNF or have bad days it makes you realize just how tough it is to nail a taper and/or execute a 140.6 mile distance. 
2011-06-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3575217

User image

tripadigin - 2011-06-30 2:20 PM I've gotten 5.5 hours on the trainer over the past three days.  Also some fast walking.  Hopefully doc will clear me to start running tomorrow.  Swimming?  Who knows when.  Incisions still need to heal before that is allowed.  Pic below of new splints, likely to be worn if I can toe the start line.

Call me crazy but those splints do look pretty aero.   God-speed Recovery.
2011-06-30 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3575137

Veteran
trigirl244 - 2011-06-30 1:56 PM

Red run special foods bag

1. extra socks
  2. long sleeved tee
  3. sunscreen
  4. first aid kit: bandaids, ibuprofen
  5. body glide
  6. gu
  7. notes
  8. special treat
  9. extra contact

What was the special treat!?!?!?

2011-06-30 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3575115

Veteran

How is Everyone Feeling? 

- Muscle knot is going away with foam rolling, rubbing, etc. Thanks for the advice here!

- New pain on the bottom of my foot/heel hurts when I put pressure on it. I have been massaging it and doing some stretches I found online. Today was a swim and bike so didn't have to run and can rest it

- Not feeling extremely tired or anything but my legs are definitely sore. Taking ice baths daily after workouts and stretching a lot. Took it easy in yesterday and today's workouts to try to save some for the long bike and runs this weekend. Hope this will work out.

Aside from that I'm getting really pumped about the race... My goal for July is to execute the taper workouts, and (try to) not let this completely consume my life! :-)

Really great work to everyone. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

2011-06-30 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Legs are tired, did easy 40 mi ride today, 110 mi bike and 20 mi run this weekend and its all downhill from there. This is my 4th IM and the first time I spent zero time at PT or ART guy so I must be doing something right this year. Good luck out there we are soooo close now.  

2011-06-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3575344

RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-30 3:06 PM

How is Everyone Feeling? 

- Muscle knot is going away with foam rolling, rubbing, etc. Thanks for the advice here!

- New pain on the bottom of my foot/heel hurts when I put pressure on it. I have been massaging it and doing some stretches I found online. Today was a swim and bike so didn't have to run and can rest it

- Not feeling extremely tired or anything but my legs are definitely sore. Taking ice baths daily after workouts and stretching a lot. Took it easy in yesterday and today's workouts to try to save some for the long bike and runs this weekend. Hope this will work out.

Aside from that I'm getting really pumped about the race... My goal for July is to execute the taper workouts, and (try to) not let this completely consume my life! :-)

Really great work to everyone. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

I am suffering from some hardcore IMADD right now.  Ironman Attention Deficit Disorder!  Besides thinking about the race WAY too much, I feel pretty decent w/where everything is at.  I guess my 'listen to my body' aka laziness strategy has paid off so far because for the most part, I have been 100% injury free since starting the training earlier this year. 

I never thought I'd be saying this, but my biggest question mark for the race right now is going to be my swim: I have not enjoyed swimming nearly as much as biking and running during all this training so went w/the ''If I'm not enjoying it, don't do it as much approach"  Now that race day is close enough, I can suck it up and just swim.

I'm shocked but I am not as sore as I thought I would be at this point in training.  Even after my harder run and bike days I feel pretty fresh.  I question whether that is a problem?

Time to get back to work so I can get out on time and hit a fun workout: ~2 hour bike, 35 min. easy run, 20 min. semi-hard run, 35 min. easy run, 20 min. semi-hard run, cooldown.  Ya, this one will call for an ice-bath and LOTS of food after

Good luck everyone and please do what you can to stay healthy/injury free.    

2011-06-30 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Awesome jump in posts... This weekend should definitely be interesting. 13 hour drive to NC and some interesting runs while I'm down there. That and hotel pool swimming drills . Should be fun though.
2011-06-30 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Took off work today to do a 4 hour brick (3 bike/1 run). Got in 53 miles on the bike and 7 miles running. And it was HOT when I was running. And I ran an hour at noon yesterday. And it was hot on the last part of my 20 miler last Saturday, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Still not 100% on the rib/chest injury but at least I'm able to get in all my training volume, even if I'm a bit slower on the swim and run.

6 hour bike on Sunday, then two 12 hours weeks, then RACE WEEK!!!!!!!

ETA - I see a lot of folks with long runs and bikes on the same weekend. I've done that for races up to HIM, but my IM plan is built purposely to separate them. The thinking is to better recover from each before the other. In other words, don't let your long bike affect your long run and vice versa. As this is my first IM I have nothing with which to compare. I'm curious if anyone has done both methods and can compare and contrast.

Edited by mrbbrad 2011-06-30 3:26 PM
2011-06-30 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3575522

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
mrbbrad - 2011-06-30 2:17 PM

ETA - I see a lot of folks with long runs and bikes on the same weekend. I've done that for races up to HIM, but my IM plan is built purposely to separate them. The thinking is to better recover from each before the other. In other words, don't let your long bike affect your long run and vice versa. As this is my first IM I have nothing with which to compare. I'm curious if anyone has done both methods and can compare and contrast.

AGREE 100% on this......I've done both and over the years coaching different level athletes, I find that IM training is as much, if not more about quality versus quantity....don't get me wrong, we all NEED the volume but at the same time our bodies need to absorb the strain we are putting on them during these long sessions....

My personal schedule has long runs on Wed and long bikes on Sat or Sun........

YMMV,

Paul

2011-06-30 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3575522

User image

Master
White Plains NY
mrbbrad - 2011-06-30 4:17 PM

Been doing long bike + brick on Sat. Long Run on Tues. Deep tissue massage on Wed

2011-07-01 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3575715

User image

Regular
wstchstrTriathlete - 2011-06-30 5:01 PM
mrbbrad - 2011-06-30 4:17 PM

Been doing long bike + brick on Sat. Long Run on Tues. Deep tissue massage on Wed

I do my long bike on satuday , long ride on sunday. For HIM i did long bricks on sundays.  I dont have the time during the week to fit in a long bike or run. Considering that the workouts were shorter it was easier to do in 1 day. With my IM training (first one) I find that Im ok for the long run the next day, a bit fatigued but not bad.

OUR RACE IS THIS MONTH!! stay healthy everyone!!!!!

2011-07-01 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3575443

User image

Regular
Tarhelathlete -

I am suffering from some hardcore IMADD right now.  Ironman Attention Deficit Disorder!  Besides thinking about the race WAY too much, I feel pretty decent w/where everything is at.  I guess my 'listen to my body' aka laziness strategy has paid off so far because for the most part, I have been 100% injury free since starting the training earlier this year. 

I never thought I'd be saying this, but my biggest question mark for the race right now is going to be my swim: I have not enjoyed swimming nearly as much as biking and running during all this training so went w/the ''If I'm not enjoying it, don't do it as much approach"  Now that race day is close enough, I can suck it up and just swim.

I think you and i have two of the same issues my friend.  I wake up thinking of IM.  My fiance is talking to me about important stuff and i`m thinking - how will that fit into my training schedule?  Someone books a meeting at work for 1pm - i`m like - as5hole - i planned to swim at lunch (i always end up running even though i planned to swim).

Have you done any long swims?  I am at 25 swims in 30 weeks so less than one a week (one week i did 4 cause i felt bad) but most of them have been 40-45mins at my own pace (no drills etc - yes, i know that you are meant to do them).  The swim is 10% of the race so the way i see it - its a necessary evil to complete to do an IM.  Spoke to a few mates about swimming and we come to the same conclusion.  You can work hard and reduce you time from 1.15-1.10 or 1.10-1.05.  Do the same work on the bike or run and its more like 10 or 15mins.  Swimming, however, does not tend to bugger up your joints.  I got round the Placid 2.4m twice over the w/e, just by going at a chilled pace. 

Figured its a good time to get a couple 45-60min swims in over taper period.  Endurance is built up from B+R.  A little swim muscle can develop in the next couple weeks....

Come race day - its nice to "come from behind" - TWSS!!!!  

Edited by blackchr05 2011-07-01 8:09 AM
2011-07-01 8:23 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg

Its sad to see that I am not alone "Feeling Tired".  The training load the last two weeks has really put it on my body.  My swim times are slower per 100 than they have been in a while.  My run Wed. was probablly one of the worst runs I have ever done.  Didn't help that it was 97 degrees when I started the run.  I got another long weekend and I aint looking forward to the run.  Damn Taper Time Come, Come Quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-07-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3576373

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
blackchr05 - 2011-07-01 9:08 AM Tarhelathlete -

Someone books a meeting at work for 1pm - i`m like - as5hole - i planned to swim at lunch

Haha...this one really made me laugh as I have the exact same experience almost every day.  The world would be so much easier if my colleagues were all training for an IM right now, too!

2011-07-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3576455

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
gergzos - 2011-07-01 9:39 AM
blackchr05 - 2011-07-01 9:08 AM Tarhelathlete -

Someone books a meeting at work for 1pm - i`m like - as5hole - i planned to swim at lunch

Haha...this one really made me laugh as I have the exact same experience almost every day.  The world would be so much easier if my colleagues were all training for an IM right now, too!

I put "meetings" on my calendar so when people check my Outlook it shows I'm not available.

2011-07-01 11:49 AM

Veteran

Just got back from the podiatrist and I have either plantar fasciitis or a heel spur in my right heel. He said a stress fracture would have caused a lot of swelling so it probably isn't that. I walked away with a strong NSAID prescription and plan on stretching/icing etc.

I had the knot/sore spot in my quad on Tuesday and Wednesday so I may have been overcompensating putting pressure on my right foot during the runs. Who knows. I'm only doing my swim today and skipping the run. I'll try my run tomorrow after my long bike and that will probably dictate what I think I can do for the long run scheduled for Sunday.

I am hopeful this will work and I will be able to run/walk/hobble/limp my way through the marathon if necessary... but it is frustrating because I am most looking forward to the run leg.

Anyway, train safe and smart going into this long weekend and enjoy it!

2011-07-01 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3575307

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-06-30 2:53 PM
trigirl244 - 2011-06-30 1:56 PM

Red run special foods bag

1. extra socks
  2. long sleeved tee
  3. sunscreen
  4. first aid kit: bandaids, ibuprofen
  5. body glide
  6. gu
  7. notes
  8. special treat
  9. extra contact

What was the special treat!?!?!?

A snickers bar :-)  Tasted amazing at 13.1 and gave me a boost for loop 2!!

2011-07-02 3:28 AM
in reply to: #3576948

User image

RJohnson1979 - 2011-07-01 12:49 PM

Just got back from the podiatrist and I have either plantar fasciitis or a heel spur in my right heel. He said a stress fracture would have caused a lot of swelling so it probably isn't that. I walked away with a strong NSAID prescription and plan on stretching/icing etc.

I had the knot/sore spot in my quad on Tuesday and Wednesday so I may have been overcompensating putting pressure on my right foot during the runs. Who knows. I'm only doing my swim today and skipping the run. I'll try my run tomorrow after my long bike and that will probably dictate what I think I can do for the long run scheduled for Sunday.

I am hopeful this will work and I will be able to run/walk/hobble/limp my way through the marathon if necessary... but it is frustrating because I am most looking forward to the run leg.

Damn man.  Hey, whatever it is, sounds like you caught it really early.  Hopefully with the anti-inflammatory and a little rest, your foot will be good to go in no time.
2011-07-02 5:51 AM
in reply to: #3576948

Regular
Annapolis, MD
RJohnson1979 - 2011-07-01 12:49 PM

Sorry to hear that.  Hoping you can heal enough in time for a solid IM shuffle, which is what most others will be doing anyway. 

2011-07-02 8:44 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Had 112 mile ride today.  Wasn't easy in this MS heat.  Going for a long open water swim tomorrow.  I am ready for race day to get here.

2011-07-02 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Hey Ryan, sorry to hear about your foot. Hope the meds help! Bobby, read your post about your friend! Hope he recovers quickly! My training wasn't quite as expected for the end of the week...got a bit distractible with my elective and Canada Day festivities with friends and now I am in the process of driving back to Vancouver! Oh well....c'est la vie? Did some sessions where I am staying in the Rockies tonight and am planning on hopping on the trainer tomorrow morning to watch the team time trial in the morning before heading off to finish the second half of my drive. I'm going to extend some harder days into mid next week to make up for the last few days and then will be starting to slowly bring the volume/intensity down! It is almost taper time!
2011-07-03 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

It's raining. I have a six hour ride. Pewp.

Oh well, it's HTFU time.

2011-07-03 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3574517

User image

Fred Doucette - 2011-06-30 9:06 AM
kr140.6 - 2011-06-29 10:46 PM

Detroit Dan - 2011-06-28 12:22 PM You all sound so calm. I'M FREAKING RIGHT OUT!

Oh don't worry Dan, I am in full on freak out mode!!... I have dabbled in some meditation techniques but I'm not that good at it.Embarassed  Today I was thinking "I don't actually have to do this if I don't want to" !!!! 

ummm you are definitely going to do this race!!

Thanks Fred! Yes... like everyone here I think we have put just a wee bit too much time into this thing to not show.   Turned in last long bike and I am so thankful no wrecks! (don't jinx myself for race, fingers crossed)

Ryan I hope your foot turns around and I am so glad it sounds like it is not a stress fracture... I think you'll be able to work through the other things. 

I look forward to seeing you all Friday am for swim meetup.

Happy 4th

2011-07-03 4:36 PM

User image

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?  Why was the 70.3 distance not good enough?? 

I'm an emotional ball of nerves right now.  Right about now, Marathon training last Fall where I peaked at 50 miles seems like child's play compared to this Ironman Training.  But this Ironman stuff...  this is some journey.  Are we trying to prove what won't kill us will make us stronger?  Is this all about EGO and 'bragging rights"?  Is it because a half Ironman is ...well half and half is just not good enough?

I'm in full-on Ironman Training crisis mode.  Help.  Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow morning and I'll feel better.  Perhaps my cortisol levels are too high.  Why is Ironman training turning me into a chick!!!   Damn I'm tired.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112