BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-08-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by everlong
Originally posted by uhcoog Took a heel pretty square at the first buoy.  Really knocked me kinda loopy and then I noticed my my goggles were full of water.  Kind of a FUBAR'd swim all around.
That's the worst when that happens and I would bet it FUBAR'd your bike and run too.

You know my bike was ok.  I could have pushed harder out of T1.  I didn't realize the wind was at my back and since my HR wasn't pairing with my bike CPU seeing 24+ mph told me I needed to dial it back a little.  As far as my run I've been having issues falling into a groove early in runs since IMTX and this one was no different.  The run course was 3 loops of 2.1 (my watch says 2.24) miles.  My third loop was my strongest.  Go figure. 

Sounds like you made the most of it though, way to go.

2013-08-26 10:47 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by uhcoog Took a heel pretty square at the first buoy.  Really knocked me kinda loopy and then I noticed my my goggles were full of water.  Kind of a FUBAR'd swim all around.
That's the worst when that happens and I would bet it FUBAR'd your bike and run too.

You know my bike was ok.  I could have pushed harder out of T1.  I didn't realize the wind was at my back and since my HR wasn't pairing with my bike CPU seeing 24+ mph told me I needed to dial it back a little.  As far as my run I've been having issues falling into a groove early in runs since IMTX and this one was no different.  The run course was 3 loops of 2.1 (my watch says 2.24) miles.  My third loop was my strongest.  Go figure. 

Maybe schedule in a few more bricks where the run is at tempo pace?

I hate not haivng all the data my Garmin gives me. I may have not used it because of forgetting it or the battery being low because it turned on in my bag without my knowing it 3 or 4 times in 3 years and I felt so cheated not having it. During a race I would be loosing my mind. With the data you had you would make the same decisions every time so I'd be happy with that.
2013-08-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair
Long run and a short ride done for the day.  Our daughter's sleep patters are so erratic at the moment it's maddening.  We'll have several nights she sleeps straight through and then we'll get a night like last night where I was in her room every half hour from 10 until 1. 
2013-08-28 8:44 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
Finally feeling human again after the Super Spartan so this evening will see me back on my training schedule.  Unfortunately I head out of town for my racing on Labor Day, so that will see another interruption in my workouts.
2013-08-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Life does tend to mess with the best laid plans.  I have quite a few athletes racing a local Oly on Monday that starts less than 2 miles from my front door so I'm packing up the camera and heading over to snap off some pics. 
2013-08-28 9:11 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by uhcoog Life does tend to mess with the best laid plans.  I have quite a few athletes racing a local Oly on Monday that starts less than 2 miles from my front door so I'm packing up the camera and heading over to snap off some pics. 

Yes it does.  So this brings up a good question for any of you that travel.  How do you get your training in?  Obviously getting a run in is easy, just pack your stuff and go out for your workout.  How do you do your biking, swimming, or anything else?  This new job that I've accepted has me traveling a couple times a quarter to San Francisco for a week or more at a time.  I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

2013-08-28 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by uhcoog Life does tend to mess with the best laid plans.  I have quite a few athletes racing a local Oly on Monday that starts less than 2 miles from my front door so I'm packing up the camera and heading over to snap off some pics. 

Yes it does.  So this brings up a good question for any of you that travel.  How do you get your training in?  Obviously getting a run in is easy, just pack your stuff and go out for your workout.  How do you do your biking, swimming, or anything else?  This new job that I've accepted has me traveling a couple times a quarter to San Francisco for a week or more at a time.  I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

I think the easiest thing to do is to find a gym that will let you workout on a part time basis.  Spin bikes are better than nothing and aim to find one with a pool too.

2013-08-28 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I registered for Half Rev Knoxville a couple days ago It's on May 18. I just had to get something on my schedule. Oddly enough I'm not antsy at all. I could get used to reading until 11 p.m. and then not getting up until 6:45. I'm down 7 lbs. since my IM so that's another perk to this time off.
2013-08-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 I registered for Half Rev Knoxville a couple days ago It's on May 18. I just had to get something on my schedule. Oddly enough I'm not antsy at all. I could get used to reading until 11 p.m. and then not getting up until 6:45. I'm down 7 lbs. since my IM so that's another perk to this time off.

Fun!  I'm scheduled through mid April and then I'm not sure what I'm doing next year.  I'm sure I'll receive a gentle nudge in one direction or another.

2013-08-28 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jarvy01 I registered for Half Rev Knoxville a couple days ago It's on May 18. I just had to get something on my schedule. Oddly enough I'm not antsy at all. I could get used to reading until 11 p.m. and then not getting up until 6:45. I'm down 7 lbs. since my IM so that's another perk to this time off.

Fun!  I'm scheduled through mid April and then I'm not sure what I'm doing next year.  I'm sure I'll receive a gentle nudge in one direction or another.

I thought you were doing FL?

I'm volunteering at Rev Cedar Point on the 8th. I'm going to sign up for next year's Full Rev. I want to see what it's like to do a flat IM before I go back to MT.
2013-08-28 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I will admit that I begged my husband to support a trip to do IM Chattanooga but he said no. Grrr! Have to stick closer to home.

2013-08-28 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jarvy01

I will admit that I begged my husband to support a trip to do IM Chattanooga but he said no. Grrr! Have to stick closer to home.

I was giving IM Chat a serious look.
2013-08-28 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I thought you were doing FL? I'm volunteering at Rev Cedar Point on the 8th. I'm going to sign up for next year's Full Rev. I want to see what it's like to do a flat IM before I go back to MT.

Cindy would prefer no fulls in 2014.  So considering I'm racing the day registration for IMFL opens, and Cindy would have to be the one to try and register me I just don't see it happening.  IMMT, IMLP, IMFL, and Chat are all on the table at this point for 2015

2013-08-28 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I want to do it next September I tried different methods of begging and manipulation, but it was an emphatic no from my husband. I did convince him to return to IMMT in 2015, so I guess I can't complain too much.
2013-08-28 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I am intrigued by the proximity of Chat, but no way I'm signing up for a second full before I do the first. Right now I have no idea what I will do next year, and I kinda like that.

2013-08-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tdl1972

I am intrigued by the proximity of Chat, but no way I'm signing up for a second full before I do the first. Right now I have no idea what I will do next year, and I kinda like that.

I'm the opposite. Not knowing what to do next year is driving me nuts. I keep looking at different races but can't decide on anything including race distance.

2013-08-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Haymarket, VA
I was looking at HIM Raleigh for 2014, but after doing a season of sprints and mini sprints only, not sure I'm ready to step up to a HIM by June.  Maybe if they have another Augusta in September I'd be ready for that.  The Richmond Multisports series has a HIM in September as well, but if I'm going to do a HIM, I'd rather do one put on by the IM series.
2013-08-28 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I got my training log back on track.  Put the last month of workouts in.  Mostly because I like the little bar graphs it spits out at me.  And yes I know that Training Peaks can analyze my data, but for some reason I have an affinity for this site.
2013-08-29 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So I got my training log back on track.  Put the last month of workouts in.  Mostly because I like the little bar graphs it spits out at me.  And yes I know that Training Peaks can analyze my data, but for some reason I have an affinity for this site.

I have an affinity for this site too. I like seeing the totals for the month and the totals for the year. I just made a book for my children with pictures, race results, and totals. I was shocked to learn that I ran 1,143 miles in 2011! 928.85 in 2012 & 643.3 so far in 2013. Looks like all I did was run that first year...LOL
2013-08-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

Originally posted by tdl1972

I'm the opposite. Not knowing what to do next year is driving me nuts. I keep looking at different races but can't decide on anything including race distance.

I'm like you, Michele. I want to have a plan!!
2013-08-29 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was looking at HIM Raleigh for 2014, but after doing a season of sprints and mini sprints only, not sure I'm ready to step up to a HIM by June.  Maybe if they have another Augusta in September I'd be ready for that.  The Richmond Multisports series has a HIM in September as well, but if I'm going to do a HIM, I'd rather do one put on by the IM series.

Rev 3 puts on some good HIMs so don't limit yourself to IM brand. I did Half Rev Cedar Point last year, and I can't say enough good things about it!

2013-08-29 8:12 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by mleech77 I was looking at HIM Raleigh for 2014, but after doing a season of sprints and mini sprints only, not sure I'm ready to step up to a HIM by June.  Maybe if they have another Augusta in September I'd be ready for that.  The Richmond Multisports series has a HIM in September as well, but if I'm going to do a HIM, I'd rather do one put on by the IM series.
Rev 3 puts on some good HIMs so don't limit yourself to IM brand. I did Half Rev Cedar Point last year, and I can't say enough good things about it!

I'll take a look at them as well, thanks for the suggestion.

2013-08-29 11:19 AM

User image

Expert

I want to do it next September I tried different methods of begging and manipulation, but it was an emphatic no from my husband. I did convince him to return to IMMT in 2015, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Well that's two more you've had success on than I have and three if you factor in CP. Once the move is completed I'm going to see what I can do to pull it off.
2013-08-29 11:21 AM

User image

Expert

Williamsburg was a good HIM but being the first time they had run it there were issues.
2013-08-30 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2 weeks off is just long enough to establish a new routine. I've loved every minute of my late nights with my husband. I've read a lot (something I wasn't doing this summer because I was just too tired). I have little desire to train right now. I hope that changes once I get back in the groove.

I know I need more time off from swimming. I'm just super pissed that I put up a 1:17. My recovery pace in the pool isn't even that slow. I feel as if I worked my a$$ off in the water and it did NOT pay off. I could swim once a week and put up a 1:17 next year. Of course, I got out of the water feeling great (albeit shaky from the adrenaline). Endurance was superb so the swim took nothing away from me. Maybe that's the positive I need to focus on when I think of going to the pool this fall and winter. I just feel as if it's something I can pick up again this winter. I am time limited with my kids so more time running, strength training, riding, and stretching would make more sense.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86