BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-04-08 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3436609

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
robingray_260 - 2011-04-08 2:22 PM

Wanted to share my latest breakthrough. Ran for 2 hours (10 miles) today! Didn't feel great, but next time it will be easier. With this run, even if I get sick I should be set for the 1/2 marathon on May 1. yeah!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I unfortunately will be grouting tile in the kitchen

congrats on the run! hope you enjoy your grouting duties!

Ann-Marie

2011-04-09 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Nautica South Beach Triathlon (which I'm not racing tomorrow), has an Ocean Swim Clinic today for St. Judes. I get to swim in the ocean, for the first time, with professional trainers and a bunch of other beginners! AND... it's for a great cause. This ocean swimming is a big hurdle for me and I can't WAIT to get it out-of-the-way.

Rich, I hear you on the work stuff. I'm happy to say I'm still employed .... but I'm looking very hard... just got my resume re-write last night... also trying to study for my CFE exam. Why to idiot bosses pull this kind of SH&# just when you can't handle anymore stress?

My friend Mary Anne's daughter made it through emergency surgery last night. She's been fighting cancer for more than a year. She'll be 9 on the 20th. Positive thoughts (and prayers if that's your thing) for Abbie, please. She's a fighter, and reminds me that whatever problems I think I have, probably aren't really such a big deal.
2011-04-09 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3437247

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 6:30 AM The Nautica South Beach Triathlon (which I'm not racing tomorrow), has an Ocean Swim Clinic today for St. Judes. I get to swim in the ocean, for the first time, with professional trainers and a bunch of other beginners! AND... it's for a great cause. This ocean swimming is a big hurdle for me and I can't WAIT to get it out-of-the-way. Rich, I hear you on the work stuff. I'm happy to say I'm still employed .... but I'm looking very hard... just got my resume re-write last night... also trying to study for my CFE exam. Why to idiot bosses pull this kind of SH&# just when you can't handle anymore stress? My friend Mary Anne's daughter made it through emergency surgery last night. She's been fighting cancer for more than a year. She'll be 9 on the 20th. Positive thoughts (and prayers if that's your thing) for Abbie, please. She's a fighter, and reminds me that whatever problems I think I have, probably aren't really such a big deal.

Prayers and thoughts for sure...

2011-04-09 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 5:30 AM The Nautica South Beach Triathlon (which I'm not racing tomorrow), has an Ocean Swim Clinic today for St. Judes. I get to swim in the ocean, for the first time, with professional trainers and a bunch of other beginners! AND... it's for a great cause. This ocean swimming is a big hurdle for me and I can't WAIT to get it out-of-the-way. Rich, I hear you on the work stuff. I'm happy to say I'm still employed .... but I'm looking very hard... just got my resume re-write last night... also trying to study for my CFE exam. Why to idiot bosses pull this kind of SH&# just when you can't handle anymore stress? My friend Mary Anne's daughter made it through emergency surgery last night. She's been fighting cancer for more than a year. She'll be 9 on the 20th. Positive thoughts (and prayers if that's your thing) for Abbie, please. She's a fighter, and reminds me that whatever problems I think I have, probably aren't really such a big deal.

St. Judes is the best!  Good luck with the ocean swim.  I prefer swimming in the ocean to lakes; I guess that comes from growing up in Ft. Lauderdale.

Positive thoughts and prayers for Abbie.

Ann-Marie

2011-04-09 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 5:30 AM The Nautica South Beach Triathlon (which I'm not racing tomorrow), has an Ocean Swim Clinic today for St. Judes. I get to swim in the ocean, for the first time, with professional trainers and a bunch of other beginners! AND... it's for a great cause. This ocean swimming is a big hurdle for me and I can't WAIT to get it out-of-the-way. Rich, I hear you on the work stuff. I'm happy to say I'm still employed .... but I'm looking very hard... just got my resume re-write last night... also trying to study for my CFE exam. Why to idiot bosses pull this kind of SH&# just when you can't handle anymore stress? My friend Mary Anne's daughter made it through emergency surgery last night. She's been fighting cancer for more than a year. She'll be 9 on the 20th. Positive thoughts (and prayers if that's your thing) for Abbie, please. She's a fighter, and reminds me that whatever problems I think I have, probably aren't really such a big deal.

Positive thoughts your way.  Ya does kind of remind us that things really aren't so bad when you hear/deal with something like that.  I'm grateful every day for 3 healthy/happy kids. (Even when they are grounded)

2011-04-09 9:04 AM

User image

Del Rio, TX

Prayers headed Abbie's way.  Glad to hear she made it through surgery.

Hope you have a great swim.  Let us know how it is...I've never swam in the ocean before (truely swam anyway).

2011-04-09 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ocean swimming was fun! I learned SO MUCH. How to run into the water, how to dolphin, how to sight (look THEN breathe) and once you get out past the waves (2-3 feet today) it's just swimming! My foot hurts a little from all the running in the sand and water, but I'm sure it's good for it in some way. I iced. This was a huge issue for me and I'm glad I got it out of the way. There were no creatures, I didn't struggle, and I didn't drown.

All I need is fitness, and I think I can do the triathlon! Now I just need to find another race, sometime in the fall, to be my first. I'm going to continue to run slow and steady until August and then begin marathon training. I hope to run the ING in January. We shall see. In any case I SWAM IN THE OCEAN. ;-)
2011-04-09 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3437901

User image

Longview, Texas

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 6:40 PM Ocean swimming was fun! I learned SO MUCH. How to run into the water, how to dolphin, how to sight (look THEN breathe) and once you get out past the waves (2-3 feet today) it's just swimming! My foot hurts a little from all the running in the sand and water, but I'm sure it's good for it in some way. I iced. This was a huge issue for me and I'm glad I got it out of the way. There were no creatures, I didn't struggle, and I didn't drown. All I need is fitness, and I think I can do the triathlon! Now I just need to find another race, sometime in the fall, to be my first. I'm going to continue to run slow and steady until August and then begin marathon training. I hope to run the ING in January. We shall see. In any case I SWAM IN THE OCEAN. ;-)

That is so cool, I miss living in Miami so much...

2011-04-09 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3437901

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 5:40 PM Ocean swimming was fun! I learned SO MUCH. How to run into the water, how to dolphin, how to sight (look THEN breathe) and once you get out past the waves (2-3 feet today) it's just swimming! My foot hurts a little from all the running in the sand and water, but I'm sure it's good for it in some way. I iced. This was a huge issue for me and I'm glad I got it out of the way. There were no creatures, I didn't struggle, and I didn't drown. All I need is fitness, and I think I can do the triathlon! Now I just need to find another race, sometime in the fall, to be my first. I'm going to continue to run slow and steady until August and then begin marathon training. I hope to run the ING in January. We shall see. In any case I SWAM IN THE OCEAN. ;-)

Awesome!!!!!!

2011-04-09 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

For Abbie, from one survivor to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoPb_KS39u8

Edited by IceManScott 2011-04-09 9:59 PM
2011-04-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3438150

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
IceManScott - 2011-04-09 10:59 PM

For Abbie, from one survivor to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoPb_KS39u8

Very nice! How sweet of you. She's a huge fan of Big Time Rush. I really don't know who they are... but I need to figure it out. Music is such a powerful healer.

2011-04-10 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

Hi Guys,  So... the AlterG was SO COOLLaughing. I warmed up by running my usual 10min mile and slowly increasing the speed, taking off body weight until I was running 7-6.5min miles at 60%less my body weight. hello, FUN! (I run 10minute miles when I put some effort in, so this felt like I was FLYING!) Afterwards I was dripping with sweat like I have never seen myself sweat yet my legs felt fine, no soreness. The next day my knees felt fine, no muscle soreness but my muscles were extremely tired... I ended up resting two days this weekend. I'm doing it because a PT center near me has a special deal and its cheap to rent time on it (15bucks for 1/2 hr, not bad) and I think I can do speed work on it without the impact and resulting soreness and possible injury. My knees have protested speed work in the past and I find those to be the workouts I most dread. I dont know if what I'm doing is a good idea or not... its kind of an experiment.  What I like about it is its FUN and definitely a good workout so for now I'll try it once a week. I'll do a 5k tt in a few weeks and see if its helped my speed and let ya'll know. I think it gets your legs used to the feeling of running very fast but I dont know yet how it translates back to really running. I dont really have any guidance so am going by feel, trying to push myself without going totally overboard. I think I went too hard since I needed two days to recover... although I also haven't been sleeping well this lat week and thats messing up my recovery I bet.

2011-04-10 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Steph- Sending out some positive thoughts/vibes/prayers for abby
2011-04-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3438808

User image

Master
Orlando
Corncub - 2011-04-10 5:08 PM

Hi Guys,  So... the AlterG was SO COOLLaughing. I warmed up by running my usual 10min mile and slowly increasing the speed, taking off body weight until I was running 7-6.5min miles at 60%less my body weight. hello, FUN! (I run 10minute miles when I put some effort in, so this felt like I was FLYING!) Afterwards I was dripping with sweat like I have never seen myself sweat yet my legs felt fine, no soreness. The next day my knees felt fine, no muscle soreness but my muscles were extremely tired... I ended up resting two days this weekend. I'm doing it because a PT center near me has a special deal and its cheap to rent time on it (15bucks for 1/2 hr, not bad) and I think I can do speed work on it without the impact and resulting soreness and possible injury. My knees have protested speed work in the past and I find those to be the workouts I most dread. I dont know if what I'm doing is a good idea or not... its kind of an experiment.  What I like about it is its FUN and definitely a good workout so for now I'll try it once a week. I'll do a 5k tt in a few weeks and see if its helped my speed and let ya'll know. I think it gets your legs used to the feeling of running very fast but I dont know yet how it translates back to really running. I dont really have any guidance so am going by feel, trying to push myself without going totally overboard. I think I went too hard since I needed two days to recover... although I also haven't been sleeping well this lat week and thats messing up my recovery I bet.

That sounds really interesting.  Let us know how your TT goes.

2011-04-11 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3437923

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ricmachado - 2011-04-09 7:09 PM

stephsprint - 2011-04-09 6:40 PM Ocean swimming was fun! I learned SO MUCH. How to run into the water, how to dolphin, how to sight (look THEN breathe) and once you get out past the waves (2-3 feet today) it's just swimming! My foot hurts a little from all the running in the sand and water, but I'm sure it's good for it in some way. I iced. This was a huge issue for me and I'm glad I got it out of the way. There were no creatures, I didn't struggle, and I didn't drown. All I need is fitness, and I think I can do the triathlon! Now I just need to find another race, sometime in the fall, to be my first. I'm going to continue to run slow and steady until August and then begin marathon training. I hope to run the ING in January. We shall see. In any case I SWAM IN THE OCEAN. ;-)

That is so cool, I miss living in Miami so much...

It has it's moments.
2011-04-11 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3438808

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Corncub - 2011-04-10 6:08 PM

That sounds SO cool! I wonder how much that would help with the foot healing. I ran 2 miles with no walk breaks this morning, which is a miracle, but I would SO like to go longer without hurting myself while I heal.

2011-04-11 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
steph, I think it could be great for running while your foot heals, I think thats mostly what its used for...PT.  But if you use one, definitely be careful, its very tempting to over do it.
2011-04-11 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Corncub - that sounds like a very cool treadmill!

So I woke up this morning with pain in the top of my foot, it only hurts when I put weight on it (like when I walk!). Yesterday was a rest day so not sure why it is hurting now. Anybody else ever have this? Hopefully, it will go away soon!

2011-04-11 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

ETA from above post. Foot feels fine now.  I guess I just had to stretch it out some.

Already swam an hour this am, will run around 6.5 miles later today.  For the first time in a month the wind is not blowing - yeah!!!!

2011-04-11 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3440043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robingray_260 - 2011-04-11 11:49 AM

ETA from above post. Foot feels fine now.  I guess I just had to stretch it out some.

Already swam an hour this am, will run around 6.5 miles later today.  For the first time in a month the wind is not blowing - yeah!!!!

I'm icing places I didn't know I had places.  All preventive but for the left knee which is on and off, probably on-going IT band.  I roll lots, yoga/stretching, etc.  I've got 4 miles after work on the run...

2011-04-11 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Corncub - lots of positive vibes going out for Abbie!  The TM sounds fun.  I wish I could do speedwork without the resulting soreness - love the workouts, hate the next day, lol!

So I think I figured out part of my troubles lately.  I think like a runner, not like a triathlete - probably due to the fact that it's what I'm most comfortable at.  When I schedule my workouts, I always start with the run - 2 easy runs, 1 speedwork or tempo run and 1 long run every week and then try to make my bike and swim workouts fit around those - and I don't put as much thought into those workouts as I should.  It's usually more of "what do I feel like doing today" which mostly translates into easy workouts.  I've been trying to follow a modified BT plan but it's a minutes-only plan.  I've been trying to think a little more about my bike workouts and putting more effort into them (making them harder), but I'm still doing all of them inside on a stationary bike.  I know I need to get outside now that the weather is better, I'm just having trouble doing it.  I'd really like to start focusing more on my bike fitness since I feel like that's where I need the most work.  I'm just going to have to change my mindset a little.  If I want to continue to do triathlons, I need to start thinking more like a triathlete. 

2011-04-11 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3440697

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
soccermom15 - 2011-04-11 4:40 PM

Corncub - lots of positive vibes going out for Abbie!  The TM sounds fun.  I wish I could do speedwork without the resulting soreness - love the workouts, hate the next day, lol!

So I think I figured out part of my troubles lately.  I think like a runner, not like a triathlete - probably due to the fact that it's what I'm most comfortable at.  When I schedule my workouts, I always start with the run - 2 easy runs, 1 speedwork or tempo run and 1 long run every week and then try to make my bike and swim workouts fit around those - and I don't put as much thought into those workouts as I should.  It's usually more of "what do I feel like doing today" which mostly translates into easy workouts.  I've been trying to follow a modified BT plan but it's a minutes-only plan.  I've been trying to think a little more about my bike workouts and putting more effort into them (making them harder), but I'm still doing all of them inside on a stationary bike.  I know I need to get outside now that the weather is better, I'm just having trouble doing it.  I'd really like to start focusing more on my bike fitness since I feel like that's where I need the most work.  I'm just going to have to change my mindset a little.  If I want to continue to do triathlons, I need to start thinking more like a triathlete. 

I find the biking to be the hardest of the three sports to motivate to do, the equipment, planning a route, the saddle soreness, all of it makes it easy to find excuses to put it off. If you aren't really challenging yourself you are going to get bored doing it. I'd say you should go outside, do a ride and introduce some pick-ups. Make a plan like 15 minute warm up follow by 6x30 second pick-ups or 5x1:00min fast in the middle of your ride or do 5x1:00min up a hill recover on the way down. Then finish your ride, warm down... push the bike workouts into a more challenging(= more fun) zoneLaughing

2011-04-11 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
So. This is day three of not working out. I am SO tired. I think it might be the AlterG thing was actually more taxing then I initially thought (though its weird 'cause I'm not sore at all, just TIRED) maybe its allergies, although I havent been sneezy or anything... my partner just force be to walk home from the city with her, a 3 mile walk... I'm exhausted and so happy to be SITTING HERE. I dont know whats going on but I hope to get back into my so called groove tomorrow.
2011-04-11 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3439457

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
robingray_260 - 2011-04-11 7:58 AM

So I woke up this morning with pain in the top of my foot, it only hurts when I put weight on it (like when I walk!). Yesterday was a rest day so not sure why it is hurting now. Anybody else ever have this? Hopefully, it will go away soon!

Had this happen to the top of my right foot the week before my 5K when I bruised the ankle bone.  Doing the ankle excercises helped stretch it out and make it feel better.  I also have high arches and the bones in the foot will pop out of joint (at least that's what it feels like to me)  again stretching it out and doing ankle excercises makes that feel better too.  If it keeps happening look up "ankle excercise for runners" on the internet and it will give some really good ones for helping both the top of the foot and/or ankle.

2011-04-12 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3441256

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
GmrGirl - 2011-04-11 8:55 PM
robingray_260 - 2011-04-11 7:58 AM

Had this happen to the top of my right foot the week before my 5K when I bruised the ankle bone.  Doing the ankle excercises helped stretch it out and make it feel better.  I also have high arches and the bones in the foot will pop out of joint (at least that's what it feels like to me)  again stretching it out and doing ankle excercises makes that feel better too.  If it keeps happening look up "ankle excercise for runners" on the internet and it will give some really good ones for helping both the top of the foot and/or ankle.

Gmrgirl - I have very high arches as well - I will definately look up the exercises if the pain comes back.

I was able to get out on the road for the first time in Wyoming! so excited! There was no wind (which is very unusual), but it was cold (around 35 degrees when I started). Here is what I wore: bike shorts, thermal tights, 2 ls tech shirts, 1 windstopper cycling jacket, wool socks, plastic wrap around toes, windstopper cleat covers, balaclava, and steves lobster claw mitts. I was just right, except toes were still cold.

I havent ridden this route since last October, I am at least as strong as I was then - thank you trainer!.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106