BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2013-03-07 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4649712

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed

Matthews - 2013-03-07 6:43 AM I am not a morning person so the only workout i get up early for is a swim, starting at 6. I never ate before any workouts but my following from my appiontment with a nutricianist she told me to always eat with in half an hour before any workouts, even the early swims.

I hate mornings too, and you are right. You have to eat before a workout, or you are cheating yourself.

2013-03-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4649712

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Matthews - 2013-03-07 8:43 AM I am not a morning person so the only workout i get up early for is a swim, starting at 6. I never ate before any workouts but my following from my appiontment with a nutricianist she told me to always eat with in half an hour before any workouts, even the early swims.

Did she give any reasoning for this? 

2013-03-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Master

Depending on how tight my workout window is in the the morning determines the level of prep the night before.  At a minimum clothes are laid out to avoid making noise opening and closing drawers in the bedroom while my wife sleeps.  I always ensure that I have my watch, HR strap and earbuds in a known location.

If my window is tight I'll prep all my hydration and nutrition the evening before.  Gels in a pile. Hydration belt on the counter. Sport drink powder premeasured in bottles so all I have to do is add water, etc.

Prior to 1 hr or longer workouts I typically squeeze a gel in my mouth as soon as I remember, probably about 5 minutes before starting workout.  I'll then drink GU sports drink and also eat a gel or stinger waffle peridocially based on length of workout.  if less than 1 hr I typically just use a GU electrolyte tablet.  I find the electrolyte tablets help me recover faster.  The Gu sports drink also has the electrolytes.  Finally, if long / intense workout I'll drink a GU Recovery brew drink afterwards.  As you can tell I am a big GU fan.

2013-03-07 10:05 AM

User image

Master
This morning I was up early again, 30 minute WU ride on the drainer followed by 6.5 miles on dreadmill (1.5 milee WU, 4 miles HMP, 1 mile CD).  I was pretty happy with the workout.  My last SOS (Something of Substance - Jackie knows what I'm talking about) workout was the day my head cold/flu came on and it sucked (Last Tuesday).  Todays run gave me some of that confidence back.  HooYah!
2013-03-07 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Today 53:43 on the drainer. I did the Sufferfest " Thereis no Try". If I am having a good(?) workout, I always feel like I am going to throw up after the fourth long interval.
2013-03-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4649867

User image

Expert
BigDaddyD79 - 2013-03-07 8:34 AM

Matthews - 2013-03-07 8:43 AM I am not a morning person so the only workout i get up early for is a swim, starting at 6. I never ate before any workouts but my following from my appiontment with a nutricianist she told me to always eat with in half an hour before any workouts, even the early swims.

Did she give any reasoning for this? 

This is what happens when you workout without eating prior, especially in the morning. When you get up you have not eaten in 8-12 hours. Which means you have used a lot of the sugars your body stores. You then start working out, you use up those sugars and nutrients that are left. You body needs fuel. In order to preserve itself, it will stop burning fat, and start burning lean muscle. You also run the risk of hypoglycemia because of low blood sugar. Since you are now burning lean muscle and not sugars and fat, you have less energy, and the result is a poorer workout. If you are trying for weight loss or fat loss, you just took a step backwords. Also when your workout is done, you are now likely to eat more than your body needs, because it was fuel deprived and the survival mechanism inside of you says that was close, we need more calories.

The best best is what mitch does and what Mathews nutritionist said, a light snack. It will get your digestive system moving, and kick you out of starvation mode. You will then burn fat and sugar and not lean muscle and if trying for weight loss you will go in the right direction.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-03-07 1:02 PM

2013-03-07 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4649752

User image

New user
JBacarella - 2013-03-07 5:15 AM

tayvincent - 2013-03-06 6:34 PM Really struggling with swimming workouts in the am because I normally don't fall asleep until 1-2 and when my alarm goes off at 630 I feel so sleepy... Any ideas on how to wake up quickly?

You're in college! You're not supposted to get up before noon. An early morning swim should be 10:00 A.M. Wait until you graduate and have a job before you worry about 6:30 swimming.

The problem with that is that I have class from 9-6 most days with workouts scattered in between classes and labs, swimming is a lot harder than just going for a quick run or bike because of the chlorine that I have to wash my hair which takes longer. The master swim here at Berkeley has only morning workouts and one at 6pm which I can't usually make. My only choice for swimming is morning. 

2013-03-07 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
^^ What was said before. You body need fuel to burn and after a nights rest there is none of that. It only has to be a banana or a toast. After the workout you can then have your normal breakfast.
2013-03-07 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton

Prior to early workouts I have to have coffe and half a bagel- the other half I nibble on during  my ride/run or eat post workout while heading home for oatmeal and more coffee!

Question regarding BT membership - has anyone experienced problems when first upgrading from free to paid membership? I had a gift cert coupon for Bronze and applied it but after a wek I am still free :-(

2013-03-07 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

The Hoka One One Bondi 2 Speeds arrived yesterday and had to take them out for a run on the dread mill.  Here is an early review:

Out of the Box: These are some funky @ss looking shoes. My family remarked how ugly they were and the color scheme is very Ronald McDonald-ish. The shoes are massive and look almost 50% larger than typical running shoes.  However, they are quite light and the drop is only 4.5MM.  The sole is rockered a bit so they also look like those Reebok shoes old ladies would wear to convince them that they were getting a better workout while walking.  The built in speed laces are a nice touch and are accompanied by regular laces. My family hated them and rightfully accused me of being a tri-dork!

Putting them on: The lift you get in these shoes is crazy - at least one inch taller.  I felt like the little guy actor in Seinfeld who is accused by his peers of "lifting".  The sizing seems true to my other running shoes.  Wearing no socks, the initial feeling was very comfortable and few seams.  I will definitely try to run sockless with these bad boys.  Immediately could feel the enhanced foam and things felt cushy.

First workout:  I had run 10.5 miles the day before and decided to flip around my workout schedule. Did 45' on the bike and went straight to the dreadmill with socks on.  Legs felt a bit tired already so I had no idea where this was going.  At first, the shear size of the shoe was awkward - like clown shoes.  After a couple of minutes warm up, I took them up to 7.3 mph and immediately felt the difference.  The way these shoes are set up it is almost impossible to heel strike and I immediately found myself running with a mid to front strike.  I actually had to force myself to heel strike.  The shoes felt great on the feet and the added foam really could be felt as the legs did not experience the fatigue I would have expected in a brick.  Finished an enjoyable 5.2M run - no pains, blisters, etc. On my way outside to grab the paper, I threw on a jacket and ran briefly outside on pavement - WOW, what difference.  Looking forward to my next outside run.

Overall Impressions:  Too early tell, but they could be a game changer.  I really see the benefit of these shoes at long distances.  Their ability to dissipate the shock of the foot strike means that the legs will hold up longer.  Also, the added benefit of less heel striking should help too.  Will keep you updated on my progress, but I like what I see so far.

2013-03-07 8:48 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
As a man who wears Vibrams, I don't usually believe I have the right to call other people's shoes ugly. But man oh man, those some ugly shoes. ??

Edited by chris2533 2013-03-07 9:14 PM

2013-03-07 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4650901

User image

Regular
tayvincent - 2013-03-07 2:37 PM
JBacarella - 2013-03-07 5:15 AM

tayvincent - 2013-03-06 6:34 PM Really struggling with swimming workouts in the am because I normally don't fall asleep until 1-2 and when my alarm goes off at 630 I feel so sleepy... Any ideas on how to wake up quickly?

You're in college! You're not supposted to get up before noon. An early morning swim should be 10:00 A.M. Wait until you graduate and have a job before you worry about 6:30 swimming.

The problem with that is that I have class from 9-6 most days with workouts scattered in between classes and labs, swimming is a lot harder than just going for a quick run or bike because of the chlorine that I have to wash my hair which takes longer. The master swim here at Berkeley has only morning workouts and one at 6pm which I can't usually make. My only choice for swimming is morning. 

A good set of clippers can fix the hair problem . Just saying

2013-03-08 12:12 AM
in reply to: #4651128

User image

Extreme Veteran

chris2533 - 2013-03-08 10:48 AM As a man who wears Vibrams, I don't usually believe I have the right to call other people's shoes ugly. But man oh man, those some ugly shoes. ??

I am sure they could have spent more money on the colour design. May be comfortable but i look like a %^ck running in them

2013-03-08 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4651114

User image

Master
Dallas
JoePetto - 2013-03-07 8:28 PM

The Hoka One One Bondi 2 Speeds arrived yesterday and had to take them out for a run on the dread mill.  Here is an early review:

Out of the Box: These are some funky @ss looking shoes. My family remarked how ugly they were and the color scheme is very Ronald McDonald-ish. The shoes are massive and look almost 50% larger than typical running shoes.  However, they are quite light and the drop is only 4.5MM.  The sole is rockered a bit so they also look like those Reebok shoes old ladies would wear to convince them that they were getting a better workout while walking.  The built in speed laces are a nice touch and are accompanied by regular laces. My family hated them and rightfully accused me of being a tri-dork!

Putting them on: The lift you get in these shoes is crazy - at least one inch taller.  I felt like the little guy actor in Seinfeld who is accused by his peers of "lifting".  The sizing seems true to my other running shoes.  Wearing no socks, the initial feeling was very comfortable and few seams.  I will definitely try to run sockless with these bad boys.  Immediately could feel the enhanced foam and things felt cushy.

First workout:  I had run 10.5 miles the day before and decided to flip around my workout schedule. Did 45' on the bike and went straight to the dreadmill with socks on.  Legs felt a bit tired already so I had no idea where this was going.  At first, the shear size of the shoe was awkward - like clown shoes.  After a couple of minutes warm up, I took them up to 7.3 mph and immediately felt the difference.  The way these shoes are set up it is almost impossible to heel strike and I immediately found myself running with a mid to front strike.  I actually had to force myself to heel strike.  The shoes felt great on the feet and the added foam really could be felt as the legs did not experience the fatigue I would have expected in a brick.  Finished an enjoyable 5.2M run - no pains, blisters, etc. On my way outside to grab the paper, I threw on a jacket and ran briefly outside on pavement - WOW, what difference.  Looking forward to my next outside run.

Overall Impressions:  Too early tell, but they could be a game changer.  I really see the benefit of these shoes at long distances.  Their ability to dissipate the shock of the foot strike means that the legs will hold up longer.  Also, the added benefit of less heel striking should help too.  Will keep you updated on my progress, but I like what I see so far.

I agree with absolutely everything you stated, good review. Once you take them out on the road you will like them even more, I believe these are perfect for the Ironman marathon, where I can tell you (and many more in this forum) that the last few miles are incredibly painful for your feet.
2013-03-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4651239

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Matthews - 2013-03-08 12:12 AM

chris2533 - 2013-03-08 10:48 AM As a man who wears Vibrams, I don't usually believe I have the right to call other people's shoes ugly. But man oh man, those some ugly shoes. ??

I am sure they could have spent more money on the colour design. May be comfortable but i look like a %^ck running in them

I meant the Hoka One One's. Are you wearing them as well?
2013-03-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4649757

User image

Master
Dallas
JBacarella - 2013-03-07 7:17 AM

Matthews - 2013-03-07 6:43 AM I am not a morning person so the only workout i get up early for is a swim, starting at 6. I never ate before any workouts but my following from my appiontment with a nutricianist she told me to always eat with in half an hour before any workouts, even the early swims.

I hate mornings too, and you are right. You have to eat before a workout, or you are cheating yourself.

No, no, no, no, and no! I highly recommend that if you eat, you do it at least one hour before, and proportions should be like this:

40% carbs (low GI)
40% protein (lean of course)
20% fats (3,6 and 9)

If it is going to be a long workout at low intensity DON'T EAT BEFORE! I don't have breakfast prior to my long ride and long run on the weekends and the big reason is that you want to go into a fat burning state. You do however need to fuel during the ride/run but your glycemic index will never go up if you're exercising (read Maffettone here). Coffee is good before those.

For weekday speedwork and the like it is ok (and necessary) to eat but only moderate portions and the previously mentioned proportions.

Fire your nutritionist, she may know nutrition but not its relation to endurance sports...

2013-03-08 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4651684

User image

Master
ernestov - 2013-03-08 10:32 AM
JBacarella - 2013-03-07 7:17 AM

No, no, no, no, and no! I highly recommend that if you eat, you do it at least one hour before, and proportions should be like this:

40% carbs (low GI)
40% protein (lean of course)
20% fats (3,6 and 9)

If it is going to be a long workout at low intensity DON'T EAT BEFORE! I don't have breakfast prior to my long ride and long run on the weekends and the big reason is that you want to go into a fat burning state. You do however need to fuel during the ride/run but your glycemic index will never go up if you're exercising (read Maffettone here). Coffee is good before those.

For weekday speedwork and the like it is ok (and necessary) to eat but only moderate portions and the previously mentioned proportions.

Fire your nutritionist, she may know nutrition but not its relation to endurance sports...

To further the discussion, midway or so through the linked article McMillan discusses the benefits of depleting your glycogen stores during a long run "so that the muscles will become better at sparing the carbohydrate stores, more efficient at burning fat and used to running with lowered blood glucose levels."  Intersting concept that he cites as having peer reviewed studies that confirm the strategy.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/2

2013-03-08 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4651882

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Finally did something of substance - 21k run. Had a coffee and half a roll with yoghurt before the run. Not an hour before, I would have to get up too early, more like 15min before, which allowed me not to eat anything at all during the run. The whole run was done on 1 bottle of some kind of Powerade from Aldi. Of course got drenched in the first 10min, which has become a norm these days here. Quite enjoyable run, HR140 most of the time, nice and easy.

My angle on shoes: I used to run like Dr. Maffetone in very cheap shoes from K-mart in the beginning and nothing happened, but they simply didn't last long. He didn't mention this. Now I get typical running shoes of different brands, depending what I can get at a discount price. Here in Oz the shoes are insanely expensive and I get them overseas when I have a chance. Of course they have to fit and be light, that's pretty much it. Btw, the last 2 pairs did approx 1600km each and are still in use...

Edited by markz 2013-03-08 5:11 PM
2013-03-08 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4651882

User image

Veteran
Wollongong

Been a busy week for me so I've been off line. Got some training in but been fighting off sickness. My wife has been REALLY sick with the flu

Good to see so much discussion going on. It's going to take me all weekend to get up to date.

Who's racing this weekend. I've got the local Wollongong Tri - my home race in the series. I'm down to do the Olympic, though I did an 'easy' 7km today (sat) felt terrible and pulled up with quite a sore left knee. ITB I suspect. I got onto the roller when I got home. Does ice help?

I'm finishing the Aussie tri season with a bit of a bang with 5 races over the next 7 weeks. Most of them are just "C" races for me. Training and experience and a way to get a good base before focusing on training for Challenge Copenhagen in August.

Greg

2013-03-09 12:59 AM
in reply to: #4652626

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Greg, hope you and your family get over this flu quicly.
2013-03-09 2:19 AM
in reply to: #4652876

User image

Veteran
Wollongong

Thanks Mark. It's pretty bad and so early in the season. I've never seen her so sick. It's been going through her work place.

Fortunately, in comparison, I've just be fighting off the edges of it.

2013-03-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4652885

User image

Veteran
clayton
Yea! I am A bronze MEmber! Have a great weekend folks. Those on recovery get well soon.
2013-03-10 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Getting up early to run 14 miles on the day of day light savings time equals being very tired when you are done...
2013-03-10 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4653604

User image

Regular

dangremond - 2013-03-10 7:46 AM Getting up early to run 14 miles on the day of day light savings time equals being very tired when you are done...

I agree with you there. My whole schedule is off big time today. Of course I totally forgot about it last night as well and went to bed late.

But today did a decent 1:39 run followed by 50 minutes on the drainer. I was gonna go out and ride but just didn't feel like switching out my rear tire. The trainer has taken its toll on the rear tire so I don't feel good enough about it on the road with a bunch of small rocks that haven't been swept off as of yet.

So I've been testing out what to eat on the bike/run. So far just been using powerbal gels, energy blasts, and performance bars. Trying to keep the carbs at about 60-70g per hour which might be on the high side for me as I'm only 145lbs. Fluid wise trying to take in 24-26oz water per hour. Things seem to fairly good without a lot of stomach problems. I have started using endurolytes yet as I haven't been cramping at all.  

Last year I used perpeteum with some success. One packet in a bottle was all I could tolerate or my stomach just didn't like me much after that. But I still think I would like to drink some of my nutrition for IMCDA. I know perform is on the course but even though I love my candy and sweets, I don't care for the taste of that at all.

Any suggestions to change this up to some other type of food that might be better? I have not been having stomach problems, I'm not feeling like I am bonking, but would like to have some other ideas, options in case what i am trying to use right now doesn't work out all that well for me.

2013-03-10 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4654085

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
spie34 - 2013-03-10 7:53 PM

dangremond - 2013-03-10 7:46 AM Getting up early to run 14 miles on the day of day light savings time equals being very tired when you are done...

I agree with you there. My whole schedule is off big time today. Of course I totally forgot about it last night as well and went to bed late.

But today did a decent 1:39 run followed by 50 minutes on the drainer. I was gonna go out and ride but just didn't feel like switching out my rear tire. The trainer has taken its toll on the rear tire so I don't feel good enough about it on the road with a bunch of small rocks that haven't been swept off as of yet.

So I've been testing out what to eat on the bike/run. So far just been using powerbal gels, energy blasts, and performance bars. Trying to keep the carbs at about 60-70g per hour which might be on the high side for me as I'm only 145lbs. Fluid wise trying to take in 24-26oz water per hour. Things seem to fairly good without a lot of stomach problems. I have started using endurolytes yet as I haven't been cramping at all.  

Last year I used perpeteum with some success. One packet in a bottle was all I could tolerate or my stomach just didn't like me much after that. But I still think I would like to drink some of my nutrition for IMCDA. I know perform is on the course but even though I love my candy and sweets, I don't care for the taste of that at all.

Any suggestions to change this up to some other type of food that might be better? I have not been having stomach problems, I'm not feeling like I am bonking, but would like to have some other ideas, options in case what i am trying to use right now doesn't work out all that well for me.

I have found that the key to Perpeteum is keeping it cold. I use 3 hour bottle for HIM distances and freeze it the night before.  I find the orange vanilla to be much easier to tolerate when really cold.  Also, like Bonk bars as it has more of the real food consistency and holds up well during longer workouts. The longer I go the more difficult I find to tolerate manufactured food.  In terms of fluid, I like Nuun tablets and water.  Adds electrolytes without the sugary flavor.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100