Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-11 2:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
  Beat the offspring by about a minute.

That’s all that matters! Decent time too, considering stomach issues

Well done!

Been reading your gym stories, so glad I have made the decision never to go there again! Life is too short to do things you don’t like!

Welcome back Dave, stick around this time!

Good solid week Gretchen, as usual.

Had a pretty good week myself, first time since I was sick in January.

Have a nice Sunday!

2024-02-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Mike, Great job on your race. Especially reminding the offspring who the big dog around the family is. Looking forward for the TLDNR version.

@Gretchen, How is the leg? Visible bruising is not a great sign... And we know if it made the machine skip a workout it is not a minor niggle. Hoping for good news.

@Nat, Nice that you had a good week. First of many.

@DQ. Come on buddy, where are you? How's the workouts going?
2024-02-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm done for the week, so here are my totals:
5 runs for 24.84miles (5:36:41)
4 swims 9450 yds (4:26:02)
4 bikes (6:15:08)
2 strength (1:34)

All in all, not a bad week (17:51:51). I'm hoping my rest day works miracles, because my wife is threatening me with a trip to urgent care on Monday if my ankle doesn't feel better. You know what they'll say...rest.

Nice week Gretchen.

For myself,

Swim, x1, 750m 20min
Bike, x2, 2hr, all zwift
Run, x7, 47km, 6hr 4min
Strength/Mobility. About 5 minutes foam rolling the legs Sunday evening.

Total 8rh 24min. About the same total as last week, but more running and less biking. This week should be similar run but back to 3 hours on zwift.

Edited by bulfrog 2024-02-11 1:59 PM
2024-02-12 11:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Gretchen:  you could have gone with the Tacx NEO 3M - only $1999!!!!  Congrats on the new toy

@Dave:  hey bud - welcome back, we're always open remember

Had a rough morning workout this morning but got through it after a lousy night's sleep.  I have a design session I'm facilitating later this afternoon that I've basically created from scratch and have no idea how it's going to go.  30 min bike, 30 min run with some sprints, 30 min strength and PT work.  5K road race on Saturday and it's supposed to be in the 50s so perfect weather to suffer.

Welcome back, Dave! We're ESPECIALLY always open to you!
2024-02-12 11:18 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Wowsers, you guys are active on here! The higher the number of emails I get letting me know someone posted, the longer it takes me to look at them, but I LOVE how productive everyone has been! And so glad to hear everyone is over their sickness!

My trip to Puerto Rico was phenomenal but definitely way too short. I have confirmed that I love traveling by myself (though I did manage to miss my flight there even though I was at the airport 2 hours early...). I did yoga and strength, I laid on the beach, got a little burnt and a little tan, I ate delicious food, and slept amazingly well. I was completely disconnected from work and it was lovely.

The last couple weeks have been a bit crazy with work, but I've been biking a few times each week and trying to get strength in. My shoulders/neck/upper back have been incredibly tight lately so I've been motivated to do stretches and such. Hopefully that continues, because I can already notice a huge difference.

I am going on a cruise in two weeks, so that is my current bright spot on the horizon to look towards. An old friend from HS invited me b/c he and his wife recently separated and he thought I'd be fun to travel with Hard to turn down a free cruise! So the next two weeks will give me focus and purpose as I try to crank stuff out so I can disconnect for a full week. I'm super pumped!
2024-02-12 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all...TL:DR, and bordeline TMI race report is up:

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=559876&posts=1#M5287908

I did a bit of a post-race assessment and decided I need to double-down on the run focus I've been doing so I'm backing off a tad on the bike and keeping my run mileage up.  I also committed to at least two running races this spring, a 10K in April where I'll be pacing my daughter and at least one 5K to go all-out.  I seriously need my racing chops back if I'm going to make Age Group Nationals in June.

@Nicole:  glad you had a great time in PR...mild sunburn is fine as long as you don't make a habit of it

@Andrew:  great consistency - you're really getting into a rhythm now

@Gretchen:  take it easy there...really hope that's nothing serious but like Andrew said visible bruising is not great

Adjusted plan starts tomorrow with a short anaerobic interval bike warm up, 3 mile run with some R pace intervals, and strength work.  And I think I have PT in the afternoon as well.

2024-02-12 2:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hey, all...TL:DR, and bordeline TMI race report is up:

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=559876&posts=1#M5287908

I did a bit of a post-race assessment and decided I need to double-down on the run focus I've been doing so I'm backing off a tad on the bike and keeping my run mileage up.  I also committed to at least two running races this spring, a 10K in April where I'll be pacing my daughter and at least one 5K to go all-out.  I seriously need my racing chops back if I'm going to make Age Group Nationals in June.

@Nicole:  glad you had a great time in PR...mild sunburn is fine as long as you don't make a habit of it

@Andrew:  great consistency - you're really getting into a rhythm now

@Gretchen:  take it easy there...really hope that's nothing serious but like Andrew said visible bruising is not great

Adjusted plan starts tomorrow with a short anaerobic interval bike warm up, 3 mile run with some R pace intervals, and strength work.  And I think I have PT in the afternoon as well.

Definitely not a habit! Mostly I just missed a few spots and of course didn't realize until it was too late.
Also I couldn't reach the middle of my back...I ended up putting sunscreen on the outside of my dry shampoo can and rubbed it on my back using that...problem solving at it's best!
2024-02-12 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@NIcole. Nice that you enjoyed your trip. And straight into a cruise in a couple of weeks? Sometimes you have the hardest life I'm intrigued as to how you managed to miss a flight when you were at the airport 2 hours early? Is there a good/embarrassing story there? Keep up the biking and stretching, got to bank some hours before hitting the cruise.

@Mike. Nice race report. Seems that your stomach was more of an issue than you alluded too. Good work pushing through.
Other than the 2 extra races, how are you planning to change your program to keep more of the run focus? Are we going to see a lot of easy runs off the bike to keep your mileage up?

And thanks, I do feel the running is coming along nicely. Still a bit of work to go to get the swim and bike consistent to match but making progress.

@DQ. Come back. We want to hear from you.

@Gretchen, well its Tuesday NZ time, and you said your wife was sending you to the ER on Monday if you hadn't recovered... Please tell us you've got good news and have been absent because you decided to do a 6 workout day to make up what you missed.

ME,

Nice and relaxed 30 minute treadmill run, followed by stretch and foam roll Monday night. My legs have been telling me that greatly increasing run volume is hard, and I should stretch it out before the aching becomes injuries, so I am going to try and stretch more the next few weeks at least.

This morning was an 'Over/Under' run. 3 minutes just slower then threshold pace, 4 minutes a bit faster and 2 minutes rest. Repeat 3 times. Was a fun workout, mixing up the paces made the time pass real fast.
2024-02-12 2:57 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

@NIcole. Nice that you enjoyed your trip. And straight into a cruise in a couple of weeks? Sometimes you have the hardest life I'm intrigued as to how you managed to miss a flight when you were at the airport 2 hours early? Is there a good/embarrassing story there? Keep up the biking and stretching, got to bank some hours before hitting the cruise.

Oh my gosh, it's so embarrassing and silly. I was so relaxed because I had so much time. Went to my gate...or so I thought. I actually went to my boarding position, C10 (Southwest Airline uses boarding positions so people know when to get on the flight), instead of my actual gate, B6. I ignored all the signs that I was in the wrong place because I was SO CONFIDENT that I was in the right place.

Anyway, I didn't realize until right after my flight had left...they got me on a flight later that day, but it had a layover so I got in like, 4 hours later than I was supposed to (10:40pm) but same day!
2024-02-12 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  Other than the 2 extra races, how are you planning to change your program to keep more of the run focus? Are we going to see a lot of easy runs off the bike to keep your mileage up?

Primary change is going to be the two "brick" sessions I have each week will be more run-focused than bike.  Still 3x/week running unless I just do a half mile run cool down or something after my harder bike sessions Wed/Fri.  Once we get to our month in Florida in March I'm adding a long fast walk to the mix as well while dropping a strength session.  This is my current schedule:

Tues:   6 AM ~25' bike with a couple of anaerobic intervals, 3-4 mile run with R pace intervals, 25-30' strength and core work
Wed:  6 AM 2500 yard swim, noon 1 hour VO2 max intervals on the bike
Thurs:  6 AM 22' spin bike warm up going through all of the zones, 3-4 mile run with a tempo interval, 40' lower body, core, and PT work
Fri:  6 AM 1500-2000 yard swim, 20-25' strength session, noon 1-1.5' hours (building to that) tempo intervals
Sat:  90" Bikram Yoga session
Sun:  20-30' bike warmup on my tri bike, long run starting at 4 miles building to 6

Like I said (and have before) I'd love to find an extra three miles a week running in there somewhere, but what I'm doing right now is about my limit physically (and probably mentally). 

2024-02-12 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by bulfrog @NIcole. Nice that you enjoyed your trip. And straight into a cruise in a couple of weeks? Sometimes you have the hardest life I'm intrigued as to how you managed to miss a flight when you were at the airport 2 hours early? Is there a good/embarrassing story there? Keep up the biking and stretching, got to bank some hours before hitting the cruise.
Oh my gosh, it's so embarrassing and silly. I was so relaxed because I had so much time. Went to my gate...or so I thought. I actually went to my boarding position, C10 (Southwest Airline uses boarding positions so people know when to get on the flight), instead of my actual gate, B6. I ignored all the signs that I was in the wrong place because I was SO CONFIDENT that I was in the right place. Anyway, I didn't realize until right after my flight had left...they got me on a flight later that day, but it had a layover so I got in like, 4 hours later than I was supposed to (10:40pm) but same day!

I've been flying probably a dozen or so times a year for the past 25 years and I consider myself about as an expert as there can be without making a career out of it...I can't tell you how many times I've been so confident in my being right about something and damn near missed a flight, or had to run back to the bar across three terminals to get my phone/bag/jacket, or boarded the wrong tram and wound up having to go through security again.

2024-02-12 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  This morning was an 'Over/Under' run. 3 minutes just slower then threshold pace, 4 minutes a bit faster and 2 minutes rest. Repeat 3 times. Was a fun workout, mixing up the paces made the time pass real fast.

100% agree, especially on the treadmill.  Outside I can just run and my mind wanders and I watch the surroundings and people, etc.  Gotta break it up on the hamster wheel for sure.

2024-02-12 5:32 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole—been there re: nearly missing the flight despite being in the airport. I lucked out in that my plane was having mechanical issues and so I got to board, even though they were pulling my bag off when I finally realized I’d been sitting at the wrong gate for an hour!

As for me…ummm….the good news is that my leg feels better today! Of course, that doesn’t say much because it hurt really badly all weekend. I did end up going to the Ortho urgent care center this morning. The short answer is…don’t know what is wrong yet. I had an X-ray that didn’t show a stress fracture, but they don’t always show up on X-ray. The PA has ordered an MRI to see what is going on with soft tissue (and insurance has already approved it!). The three diagnostic options currently are: stress fracture, a facia rupture, or exercise induced compartment syndrome. Of the three, the stress fracture is actually the GOOD option—it is the one that doesn’t require surgery to repair. For now, the PA says I can continue to train everything except running, but can do aqua jogging. It is looking like my April marathon is in danger, but we’ll see. The PA is cognizant of the races on my schedule and is looking for ways to get me to the line heathy.

Today was 2300yds in the pool, 45’ of strength training, and 50’ of aqua jogging (and I’ll be happy to get out of this with my sanity if I have to aqua jog for long!!).
2024-02-12 6:26 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

The three diagnostic options currently are: stress fracture, a facia rupture, or exercise induced compartment syndrome. Of the three, the stress fracture is actually the GOOD option—it is the one that doesn’t require surgery to repair. For now, the PA says I can continue to train everything except running, but can do aqua jogging. It is looking like my April marathon is in danger, but we’ll see. The PA is cognizant of the races on my schedule and is looking for ways to get me to the line heathy.

Today was 2300yds in the pool, 45’ of strength training, and 50’ of aqua jogging (and I’ll be happy to get out of this with my sanity if I have to aqua jog for long!!).

Awww. Sh1t Gretchen. None of those options sound great. FWIW, I had a friend who had compartment syndrome surgery in both calves (he's a soccer player not triathlete) and he made a full recovery, but man it didn't look fun. How far away is your MRI likely to be. If you're like me the not knowing is almost worse than the injury. Once you have an answer you can make a plan and move forward, the not sure yet limbo can be so frustrating.

We'll all be crossing all our fingers you have a stress fracture, or another option they haven't thought of yet that doesn't involve surgery. In the meantime, I think unless you get good news very soon an April Marathon is likely gone. Is deferral an option?

BUT, you can spend the next training block becoming a Swim Bike monster, and get to T2 fast enough to overcome any missing run training.

#FirstOffTheBike.
2024-02-12 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog  This morning was an 'Over/Under' run. 3 minutes just slower then threshold pace, 4 minutes a bit faster and 2 minutes rest. Repeat 3 times. Was a fun workout, mixing up the paces made the time pass real fast.

100% agree, especially on the treadmill.  Outside I can just run and my mind wanders and I watch the surroundings and people, etc.  Gotta break it up on the hamster wheel for sure.

I 100% agree with your 100% agreement around treadmills. Even on a boring Z2 run on satan's sidewalk I change it up every 5 minutes.
2024-02-12 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

unless I just do a half mile run cool down or something after my harder bike sessions Wed/Fri. 

Do this!

Seriously.

And try to add one as a W/U or C/D for Saturday's yoga, over a few weeks hopefully the half mile jogs turn into a mile. And all of a sudden you've got those extra 3 miles you're after.

I know a 5 minute jog on it's own doesn't seem like much, but they add up. And all count for weekly/monthly mileage.

2024-02-12 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Oh my gosh, it's so embarrassing and silly. I was so relaxed because I had so much time. Went to my gate...or so I thought. I actually went to my boarding position, C10 (Southwest Airline uses boarding positions so people know when to get on the flight), instead of my actual gate, B6. I ignored all the signs that I was in the wrong place because I was SO CONFIDENT that I was in the right place.

Anyway, I didn't realize until right after my flight had left...they got me on a flight later that day, but it had a layover so I got in like, 4 hours later than I was supposed to (10:40pm) but same day!

Whoops. Sounds like you were already in holiday mode. At least you made it on the same day.
2024-02-13 3:51 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

LOL, had to laugh, easy mistake to make

Gretchen, fingers and everything else crossed

Mike, thanks for the TMI report, I love reading them!

Andrew, glad about your running coming along and for listening to your body, you are not 38 anymore
2024-02-13 5:09 AM
in reply to: #5287916

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Why would my 50’ aqua jogging session (registered as a run) have a TSS of 60,000? Any guesses? My form value in TP was 4,976 this morning and TP is suggesting more rest today. :D
2024-02-13 6:36 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Why would my 50’ aqua jogging session (registered as a run) have a TSS of 60,000? Any guesses? My form value in TP was 4,976 this morning and TP is suggesting more rest today. :D

Check the elevation.  Getting your watch underwater messes with the barometric altitude sensor in the thing.  You can correct it in TP.

2024-02-13 7:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh no, Gretchen!!! I'm so sorry to hear that! I have had 3 stress fractures in my life (did a scan for one and found 2 that I'd had and had healed). Are they having you do a bone scan to check on that? It's a super easy scan to have done and is pretty definitive.

Aqua jogging is horrible but SUCH an amazing workout. I had to do it when I had my stress fracture in college, and was able to come back and place in conferences after just a few weeks of speed training once I was able to run again. Do you have waterproof headphones? If not, I would highly recommend for those long ones. It's truly one of the most boring things I have ever done.

2024-02-13 7:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

This and Gretchen's story have made me feel a bit better! I was definitely very relaxed already. Had had a super productive, not rushed morning. I think a little stress is probably a good thing...
2024-02-13 7:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a ride this morning, and have been keeping up with my neck and back stretches (I think I did them 3 times yesterday). It feels significantly better today than it did yesterday.
2024-02-13 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Hi BDASers:

Well, for the second time in two weeks, I have the stomach bug. I was sick as a dog yesterday and I was up last night. So, no workouts. I hate that because it’s my goal to really walk a lot this month with the hope of not only losing weight but getting ready to start adding some light jogging in March. Back in my Ironman days, I would have practice racing while sick but I’m just not in that mindset.

I weighed myself this weekend and I managed to lose a 1/2 pound which is a disappointment because I had wanted to lose 1 1/2 but didn’t because of some late night cottage cheese. If I’d just have had a 1/3 of a container I would have been fine but the full container caused me to lose some of those weight loses which are so important to me right now. Losing weight will help me feel better because at 242 i feel nauseous everyday even when I don’t have the stomach bug. The docs don’t know what is causing my almost daily nausea - I think it’s nausea caused by fatigue brought about by my terrible sleep apnea which is caused by my weight. So, losing the weight is goal #1.

I got a question for you guys about the thread. It looks like BT didn’t renew the threads and we’re using 2023’s thread moving forward. Have they mentioned any end date. Are we just hoping they don’t close us down? I’ve read some of the thread but have you guys talked about this?

Hope everyone is enjoying the slowness of my snow day.

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2024-02-13 8:52 AM
2024-02-13 8:17 AM

User image

Expert

Got in a ride this morning, and have been keeping up with my neck and back stretches (I think I did them 3 times yesterday). It feels significantly better today than it did yesterday.

Nicole:The PT gods reward those who do their stretches and I’m glad your back is feeling significantly better! That’s awesome and welcomed news. And when we are talking about a ride - is that a ride on the drainer or were you at the gym or on the peloton. It’s been awhile so let me know. If I had felt better yesterday, I might have gone for a ride outside it was so warm. I can’t think the heatwave lasted til this morning so I’m gonna guess you rode your drainer. I’d rather head out in the freezing snow than ride the trainer. Nice work!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland