BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-09-04 2:51 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by jarvy01
Originally posted by Kuma

Sorry I've been away - real life has intervened once again.  Happily I've been able to keep training somewhat regularly.  Sounds like people've been having some awesome results!

I have a question for the group - I'm racing this weekend (the Nation's Tri, Olympic distance in DC) and then again next weekend (Savageman - Olympic distance).  Of the two, the Savageman is more important to me.  That being the case, I'm not doing much tapering this week in advance of the Nation's, and will taper next week.  Does that sound like the right way to go?  If I were to taper now, race this weekend, taper next week, and race next weekend, would it be too fat and lazy for the Savageman next weekend? 

I would train thru Nation's and start taper next week for Savageman.

x2.  Also make sure to keep in mind that this is a "B" race when you look at your HR this weekend.  I wouldn't go out there and blow it out this weekend if next weekend is really the "A" race.  Maybe go with training ride intensity on the bike and run for 2/3-3/4 and then push it into race pace just to keep the legs sharp.

2013-09-04 9:26 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Hey Hey Hey! Busy bee over here. XC, soccer and the beginning of school is all crazy. I have a big interview next week. I am really hoping it goes through because I need some money to register for some races Seems as though everything is going well with everyone. Just lots of running going on here. I had mile repeats yesterday. I feel like my legs are getting back under me.
2013-09-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kidtri33

Hey Hey Hey! Busy bee over here. XC, soccer and the beginning of school is all crazy. I have a big interview next week. I am really hoping it goes through because I need some money to register for some races Seems as though everything is going well with everyone. Just lots of running going on here. I had mile repeats yesterday. I feel like my legs are getting back under me.

Good luck.

Half hour OWS and 1 hour recovery bike this morning. It was so nice out.

I have 6400 yards swimming this week in three sessions all OWS. That's the first time I've had that type of swimming week since May.
2013-09-05 1:41 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair

So the 6 month old woke up at 3 and wanted to eat so I got booted from the bed.  She apparently won't go back to sleep if I'm there.  So I set the alarm on my cell and went to the couch.  Lot of good that did.  When it went off I apparently turned it off and went back to sleep.  Damn.

Got 50 minutes in on the treadmill.  Not sure I'm getting to the pool to get the missed workout in though.

2013-09-05 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
A little Z2 work today. Not to happy with it. Heart rate was everywhere. I just couldn't get in a groove. Oh well it is in the books.

Wesley has his first official XC invitational run on Saturday. We are pretty stoked and excited for him and nervous. Never thought I would get this nervous for a competition for someone besides myself haha.

2013-09-05 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Finally updated my logs. Thank goodness for mass import from Training Peaks! Unfortunately it allows me to see how much I missed workout wise. Ahh the joys of life. I have enjoyed all the extra time though spending it with the family. This was one of the blessing in disguise that I didn't see when I lost the job. It has been stressful but enjoyable to have the time with family.

2013-09-05 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I was picked to participate in a study of healthy triathletes in regards to aging and selected physiological variables.  They're going to measure bf%, Vo2 max, LT, how many cals I burn at certain running velocities or wattages on the bike.  Should be uber useful info that I'm getting free because it's part of a study.
2013-09-05 5:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

So I was picked to participate in a study of healthy triathletes in regards to aging and selected physiological variables.  They're going to measure bf%, Vo2 max, LT, how many cals I burn at certain running velocities or wattages on the bike.  Should be uber useful info that I'm getting free because it's part of a study.

Dude. I want to get in on that study. Very useful! Let us know the results when you get them.
2013-09-05 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

A little Z2 work today. Not to happy with it. Heart rate was everywhere. I just couldn't get in a groove. Oh well it is in the books.

Wesley has his first official XC invitational run on Saturday. We are pretty stoked and excited for him and nervous. Never thought I would get this nervous for a competition for someone besides myself haha.

Good luck to Wesley!

I can relate to the excitement. That's how I felt at every swim meet this summer. I care about swimming, too, so it's extra special. Conrad's playing competitive soccer this year, and I'm pretty excited for him there too.
2013-09-05 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's a good thing I didn't have my heart set on Chattanooga. It sold out fast. IM sure makes it difficult for those of us raising families. You have to know your schedule a year in advance, and the races sell out in minutes. Pretty tough when you have lots of kids. They have their own schedules and lives, too.
2013-09-06 11:38 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by everlong

Good luck.

Half hour OWS and 1 hour recovery bike this morning. It was so nice out.

I have 6400 yards swimming this week in three sessions all OWS. That's the first time I've had that type of swimming week since May.
Thanks Scott! Good to see you getting back into the swing of things!!

2013-09-06 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

Good luck to Wesley!

I can relate to the excitement. That's how I felt at every swim meet this summer. I care about swimming, too, so it's extra special. Conrad's playing competitive soccer this year, and I'm pretty excited for him there too.
Thank you Jen! Good to know I am not the only one Good luck to Conrad. I am a volunteer for the local soccer league board and my some plays competitive as well. It can be fun with the right group and parents but then we have a lot of parents and kids that are not fun so I hope it goes well for you guys!
2013-09-06 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

Scott that is pretty awesome! Love to hear the details when all done. I just found out that the friend of mine that does the blood LT test has access to Vo2 equipment now as well. Hope to see if I can get that for free as well
2013-09-07 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by uhcoog So I was picked to participate in a study of healthy triathletes in regards to aging and selected physiological variables.  They're going to measure bf%, Vo2 max, LT, how many cals I burn at certain running velocities or wattages on the bike.  Should be uber useful info that I'm getting free because it's part of a study.
Scott that is pretty awesome! Love to hear the details when all done. I just found out that the friend of mine that does the blood LT test has access to Vo2 equipment now as well. Hope to see if I can get that for free as well

Not too sure about running on a treadmill and riding a bike with a mask on my face and them periodically taking blood, but it should be an experience if nothing else.

63/3 mile bike/run today.  Full on football weekend!!!!!  Texans are the late game on Monday though 

2013-09-08 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
OK, so I've been a lousy mentee and dropped off the face of the earth...but I did my first HIM and finished it yesterday! Thanks for the advice I gathered when I was here!

Detailed race report HERE.

BT race report HERE.
2013-09-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by enders_shadow OK, so I've been a lousy mentee and dropped off the face of the earth...but I did my first HIM and finished it yesterday! Thanks for the advice I gathered when I was here! Detailed race report HERE. BT race report HERE.

Great job Kristen!

2013-09-09 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I spent a lot of yesterday morning watching 70.3 worlds.  I had a good 5-10 friends there, but was pretty interested to see how the pros rode in the rain. Keinle is a freaking beast.  Dude is insane.

2013-09-09 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey folks...Have been on hiatus for a few weeks - vacation for two and then getting back to work and preparing for my race last weekend. Truth be told, I had been feeling a bit burnt out from training and all the build up associated with my half iron race that I just wanted to distance myself from tri-related things. I am assuming that this may be normal but training for this race had occupied a huge chunk of time and mental energy since January and I have felt simply drained.

So, in a nutshell, I did quite well. I finished my half iron in 5:18:xx. I had hoped to finish under 6 and occasionally entertained the fantasy of 5:45, so needless to say I was really shocked and stoked with the result. Of course my biggest fear was the swim, which turned out fine except for some navigation issues.

Here is the BT race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

(not sure how to make it a direct link).

Now that I have some time to recover - and by the way my stomach feels kind of off and I am still pooped - I plan to read older posts and post more about the race. However, I did want to check in and thank everyone for the support and well wishes along that you have given me along the way.

2013-09-09 4:56 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great job!! Congrats on an awesome race!
2013-09-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Pro
CyFair
12.5 run and a recovery ride today.  Felt really good.  It's the first time since Texas a run has felt good.  Probably a mental thing to be honest.  I've been going essentially non -stop (by my own doing mind you) since at least mid year last year.  I needed something to snap me out of a mental funk and this impending half might just be the right medicine.
2013-09-11 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Hour ride on a hilly course. Legs felt electric for the first time in a long time.

2013-09-11 1:44 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by tdl1972

Great job!! Congrats on an awesome race!

Thanks very much David.
2013-09-11 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
So it has been only in the past 18 hours or so that I have felt like eating...and by eating I am now wanting to eat everything. Legs still pretty sore. I was/am pretty surprised at how my body felt/reacted after the race. Really hard to imagine what it would feel like after a full. Gotta say though, the beer I had right after the race was the best ever.
2013-09-11 7:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Hey folks...Have been on hiatus for a few weeks - vacation for two and then getting back to work and preparing for my race last weekend. Truth be told, I had been feeling a bit burnt out from training and all the build up associated with my half iron race that I just wanted to distance myself from tri-related things. I am assuming that this may be normal but training for this race had occupied a huge chunk of time and mental energy since January and I have felt simply drained.

So, in a nutshell, I did quite well. I finished my half iron in 5:18:xx. I had hoped to finish under 6 and occasionally entertained the fantasy of 5:45, so needless to say I was really shocked and stoked with the result. Of course my biggest fear was the swim, which turned out fine except for some navigation issues.

Here is the BT race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

(not sure how to make it a direct link).

Now that I have some time to recover - and by the way my stomach feels kind of off and I am still pooped - I plan to read older posts and post more about the race. However, I did want to check in and thank everyone for the support and well wishes along that you have given me along the way.

Dude that is just blazin' fast! WAY to GO!! So happy for you.

Kristen awesome HIM too! I really liked this distance too (first stab at it this year for me too)
2013-09-12 5:44 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by enders_shadow

OK, so I've been a lousy mentee and dropped off the face of the earth...but I did my first HIM and finished it yesterday! Thanks for the advice I gathered when I was here!

Detailed race report HERE.

BT race report HERE.

Kristen - congratulations on your first half iron. How have you been feeling since? Not sure if you read Larkin's race report about his Rev 3 half in Williamsburg but he had major issues with the currents in the swim too. If you read my race report, my navigational issues were not fun. But its over and we are done!!! Are you doing another?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86