BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-09-12 5:45 AM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by kr140.6

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Hey folks...Have been on hiatus for a few weeks - vacation for two and then getting back to work and preparing for my race last weekend. Truth be told, I had been feeling a bit burnt out from training and all the build up associated with my half iron race that I just wanted to distance myself from tri-related things. I am assuming that this may be normal but training for this race had occupied a huge chunk of time and mental energy since January and I have felt simply drained.

So, in a nutshell, I did quite well. I finished my half iron in 5:18:xx. I had hoped to finish under 6 and occasionally entertained the fantasy of 5:45, so needless to say I was really shocked and stoked with the result. Of course my biggest fear was the swim, which turned out fine except for some navigation issues.

Here is the BT race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

(not sure how to make it a direct link).

Now that I have some time to recover - and by the way my stomach feels kind of off and I am still pooped - I plan to read older posts and post more about the race. However, I did want to check in and thank everyone for the support and well wishes along that you have given me along the way.

Dude that is just blazin' fast! WAY to GO!! So happy for you.

Kristen awesome HIM too! I really liked this distance too (first stab at it this year for me too)

I think that is the first time I have been referred to as blazin fast....you have totally made my week.

2013-09-12 7:24 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey folks...Have been on hiatus for a few weeks - vacation for two and then getting back to work and preparing for my race last weekend. Truth be told, I had been feeling a bit burnt out from training and all the build up associated with my half iron race that I just wanted to distance myself from tri-related things. I am assuming that this may be normal but training for this race had occupied a huge chunk of time and mental energy since January and I have felt simply drained.

So, in a nutshell, I did quite well. I finished my half iron in 5:18:xx. I had hoped to finish under 6 and occasionally entertained the fantasy of 5:45, so needless to say I was really shocked and stoked with the result. Of course my biggest fear was the swim, which turned out fine except for some navigation issues.

Now that I have some time to recover - and by the way my stomach feels kind of off and I am still pooped - I plan to read older posts and post more about the race. However, I did want to check in and thank everyone for the support and well wishes along that you have given me along the way.

Kristen awesome HIM too! I really liked this distance too (first stab at it this year for me too)

I think that is the first time I have been referred to as blazin fast....you have totally made my week.

I second the blazin' fast! You rocked that bike course. Well done, Chris. Congratulations!
2013-09-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jarvy01

I second the blazin' fast! You rocked that bike course. Well done, Chris. Congratulations!

Thanks Jen. You made my other week.

So the Pumpkinman was my last race of the season. I found myself looking this morning for late season tri's in the area...Kinda down that the season is now over.
2013-09-12 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm looking to clean up my diet. I'm challenging myself to a 30 day no processed foods challenge. I eat pretty well, but I can do better. Just veggies, fruits, meat, and whole grains for me. I've been eating a few too many Garden of Eatin blue corn chips lately I allowed it because I felt I deserved it after a long year of training + an Ironman. Now it's time to get serious.

I was feeling very unmotivated the last couple weeks. I think I'm ready to get back at it!! It's a good feeling. I'm thinking of trying a yoga class, too.
2013-09-12 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm looking to clean up my diet. I'm challenging myself to a 30 day no processed foods challenge. I eat pretty well, but I can do better. Just veggies, fruits, meat, and whole grains for me. I've been eating a few too many Garden of Eatin blue corn chips lately I allowed it because I felt I deserved it after a long year of training + an Ironman. Now it's time to get serious.

I was feeling very unmotivated the last couple weeks. I think I'm ready to get back at it!! It's a good feeling. I'm thinking of trying a yoga class, too.

I ate a 1/2 pound hamburger topped with sweet potato fries and pickles at 1230AM last night....it was good. I'm letting it ride for a bit.
2013-09-13 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I ate a 1/2 pound hamburger topped with sweet potato fries and pickles at 1230AM last night....it was good. I'm letting it ride for a bit.

I hear ya. I let it ride for a month. It's time to get back at it here

2013-09-13 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 I'm looking to clean up my diet. I'm challenging myself to a 30 day no processed foods challenge. I eat pretty well, but I can do better. Just veggies, fruits, meat, and whole grains for me. I've been eating a few too many Garden of Eatin blue corn chips lately I allowed it because I felt I deserved it after a long year of training + an Ironman. Now it's time to get serious. I was feeling very unmotivated the last couple weeks. I think I'm ready to get back at it!! It's a good feeling. I'm thinking of trying a yoga class, too.

I've finally cleaned up my diet.  Pregnant wife + Ironman training = lots of bad habits.  My training partner hired the folks over at the Core Diet and I'm kinda following along too.  Lots of veggies and lean proteins.  Already dropping pounds and feeling better.

2013-09-13 8:38 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I'm at the end of what's been a pretty aggressive block of training.  Feeling kinda beat up, but with things starting to click at the same time.  Feels good.  3 and a half tomorrow on the bike and a short run.  Looking forward to it.
2013-09-13 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Oh and I'm following an acquaintance, Brandon Adame, and a friend, Ron Stitt, at ITU World ParaTriathlon Championships in London.  Brandon is a blind triathlon from Houston and Ron is his guide.  Brandon is kind of a celebrity in the local tri community here.
2013-09-13 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by jarvy01 I'm looking to clean up my diet. I'm challenging myself to a 30 day no processed foods challenge. I eat pretty well, but I can do better. Just veggies, fruits, meat, and whole grains for me. I've been eating a few too many Garden of Eatin blue corn chips lately I allowed it because I felt I deserved it after a long year of training + an Ironman. Now it's time to get serious. I was feeling very unmotivated the last couple weeks. I think I'm ready to get back at it!! It's a good feeling. I'm thinking of trying a yoga class, too.

I've finally cleaned up my diet.  Pregnant wife + Ironman training = lots of bad habits.  My training partner hired the folks over at the Core Diet and I'm kinda following along too.  Lots of veggies and lean proteins.  Already dropping pounds and feeling better.

Yeah, I'm just feeling gross. I don't think it's my food choices as much as it's my portion control. I'm still eating IM training portions. Need to work on that. I'd really like to do my next IM 10 pounds lighter than where I am right now, and I know how hard it is to lose during serious training. Only option is to really buckle down now and add in more strength training.
2013-09-13 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Yeah, I'm just feeling gross. I don't think it's my food choices as much as it's my portion control. I'm still eating IM training portions. Need to work on that. I'd really like to do my next IM 10 pounds lighter than where I am right now, and I know how hard it is to lose during serious training. Only option is to really buckle down now and add in more strength training.

Scott- care to share some Core Diet secrets because I checked out their website but there is no way I am going to shell out that $$ for a nutritional consult. Sounds very interesting though.

I have been battling ankle pain that always occurs at around the 50 to 60 min mark of running for the past several months. It's related to overuse and pronating. i saw a PT last Sept for hamstring issues, which were related to my ACL reconstruction, and will be getting back to the PT exercises and strength training to strengthen my core, knee, and stabilizing muscles. This, along with swimming, will likely be big areas of focus in the off season.

Maybe I will get a juicer too.

2013-09-13 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I could stand to clean up my nutrition as well. My choices are bad, and then compounded by ridiculous portions because I am always so hungry. But I really don't need to pay someone to tell me to quit eating chicken wings, burritos and burgers. I just need better discipline. Maybe tomorrow ...

Tomorrow is my first five hour bike ride. I am looking forward to another shot at testing my nutrition again. I am hoping I have gotten it pretty well dialed in on the bike at this point. I do need to work more on my run, though. Right now my plan seems to be whatever is available on the course and sounds good at the time. I have tried running with everything they list as available (other than the broth), and seem to tolerate each pretty well.

2013-09-14 8:14 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
My first five hour ride is in the books and I feel really good about it. I'm tired, but felt like I could do more. Nutrition seemed to work pretty well, but I'd love any suggestions/tweaks I might could try over the next 3-4 weeks on my long rides.

2 hours before: turkey sandwich on wheat
During the ride, 2 fig newtons (110 cal) thirty minutes in and again at the bottom of each hour. At the top of each hour I alternated applesauce packets (60 cal) and Gu Roctanes. Added a Payday candy bar (220 cal) at 60 miles (SN). I also drank about 30 oz of Perform an hour.

Thanks!
2013-09-15 5:58 AM
in reply to: #4825630

User image

Veteran
David, nice job on the ride. Have you tried Honey Stinger Waffles? Awesome. About 160 cal. They are light and don't sit in my stomach. I use to use GU Roctane but switched to Power Gels. They have more calories and sodium and are not as thick going down. I also like the coffee flavored one cause it has 2x the caffeine.
2013-09-16 7:16 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tdl1972

My first five hour ride is in the books and I feel really good about it. I'm tired, but felt like I could do more. Nutrition seemed to work pretty well, but I'd love any suggestions/tweaks I might could try over the next 3-4 weeks on my long rides.

2 hours before: turkey sandwich on wheat
During the ride, 2 fig newtons (110 cal) thirty minutes in and again at the bottom of each hour. At the top of each hour I alternated applesauce packets (60 cal) and Gu Roctanes. Added a Payday candy bar (220 cal) at 60 miles (SN). I also drank about 30 oz of Perform an hour.

Thanks!

Nice job, David!

If the nutrition works, it works! MT was my first IM, and my nutrition on bike was 1 1/2 bottles of sports drink per hour, and 1/2 bonk breaker bar at 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hour mark, and 3:30 mark, and Gu gels diluted in water bottle on frame. For next season's IM, I'm going 100% liquid nutrition. I think I mentioned that I had severe GI distress with at least 9 potty stops during marathon. This led to dehydration. I think the bonk breaker bars are the culprit. Too much fat and too hard to digest. My only worry with your nutrition is the figs AND the Payday. Maybe one or the other? Then again, if this works for you, it works. It's hard to know how your body is going to react to such a long race.
2013-09-16 7:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by tdl1972 My first five hour ride is in the books and I feel really good about it. I'm tired, but felt like I could do more. Nutrition seemed to work pretty well, but I'd love any suggestions/tweaks I might could try over the next 3-4 weeks on my long rides. 2 hours before: turkey sandwich on wheat During the ride, 2 fig newtons (110 cal) thirty minutes in and again at the bottom of each hour. At the top of each hour I alternated applesauce packets (60 cal) and Gu Roctanes. Added a Payday candy bar (220 cal) at 60 miles (SN). I also drank about 30 oz of Perform an hour. Thanks!
Nice job, David! If the nutrition works, it works! MT was my first IM, and my nutrition on bike was 1 1/2 bottles of sports drink per hour, and 1/2 bonk breaker bar at 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hour mark, and 3:30 mark, and Gu gels diluted in water bottle on frame. For next season's IM, I'm going 100% liquid nutrition. I think I mentioned that I had severe GI distress with at least 9 potty stops during marathon. This led to dehydration. I think the bonk breaker bars are the culprit. Too much fat and too hard to digest. My only worry with your nutrition is the figs AND the Payday. Maybe one or the other? Then again, if this works for you, it works. It's hard to know how your body is going to react to such a long race.

Solid advice here.  I use the same nutrition plan except I like Powerbar Berry Blast bars.  Taste like Laffy Taffy.  Yes, I'm like 7 years old.  LOL.

2013-09-16 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
5150 Galveston this Sunday.  If I go around 2:30, which I should, I'll get a HyVee spot based on past results there.  Get to hit the hamster wheel in Galveston for the run.  Not my favorite.
2013-09-16 11:29 AM

User image

Expert

I reel it in for a week at a time and then something comes up where we are on the run and I go into eat like mode for a few days. I just need that 3-4 week cleanse.
2013-09-17 10:46 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Haymarket, VA
Hey gang, I've been out of touch for the past couple weeks as I wrapped up my final week at my old job and started my new job.  Things are well, and now that I'm back into a normal work routine and able to continue with my training plan.  Have a few weeks before my final sprint of the season, so need to get my butt back in gear.   I did pick up a wetsuit and am looking to do a couple of the final open water swims at the local quarry over the next couple weeks.  
2013-09-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is anyone planning their next season yet?

I made a list of goals. They all seem reasonable. I already signed up for Half Rev Knoxville (May). Second A race is Full Rev Cedar Point (September). I'm going to give the 140.6 one more shot. If I can't improve at that, then I'll be sticking to 70.3s. I'm keeping it simple next season and just signing up for those 2 races. I want the focus to be on A races and not on little B and C races. The focus is on training. I am going to an OWS race (2 miles) with masters swim in July. Then I'm going to do the entire Rev preview day with the Cleveland Triathlon Club in August. I'll get to ride the entire course, which is a HUGE advantage.

What are you all doing?
2013-09-18 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I made a list of goals. They all seem reasonable. I already signed up for Half Rev Knoxville (May). Second A race is Full Rev Cedar Point (September). I'm going to give the 140.6 one more shot. If I can't improve at that, then I'll be sticking to 70.3s. I'm keeping it simple next season and just signing up for those 2 races. I want the focus to be on A races and not on little B and C races. The focus is on training. I am going to an OWS race (2 miles) with masters swim in July. Then I'm going to do the entire Rev preview day with the Cleveland Triathlon Club in August. I'll get to ride the entire course, which is a HUGE advantage.

What are you all doing?

I'm excited to see where Challenge USA is going to be! Announcement is today!!

2013-09-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

What are you all doing?

I'm excited to see where Challenge USA is going to be! Announcement is today!!

It was already leaked by a news source....Atlantic City. Don't know that I'd want to take the family there. Probably good for you east coast folks. It's supposed to be flat and fast.....think IMFL and Eagleman.

Edited by jarvy01 2013-09-18 8:19 AM
2013-09-18 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Houston Marathon in January, NOLA 70.3 in April are paid for.  After that I'm looking for a summer and fall half.  I'm thinking maybe Boulder and Austin, or if I can't find a summer one I'll probably go to Miami for the 70.3 in the fall since I have free room and board.
2013-09-18 8:39 AM

User image

Expert

What are you all doing?

I'm all over the map and cannot decide what I want to commit to. Right now I'm leaning towards doing a marathon, the Harpoon B2B which is a 148 mile cycling event and a 5k swim event along with a HIM. I don't think I"m going to have time to do a full next year but I'm thinking about stretching out to do all three individually and then a half to stay race current. I'd probably do a March\April Marathon. The B2B is in the middle of June. Do a July\August 5K swim. Finish up with a September HIM.

The alternate plan is either IMCHAT or Beach to Battleship for a full.
2013-09-18 8:41 AM

User image

Expert

Houston Marathon in January, NOLA 70.3 in April are paid for.  After that I'm looking for a summer and fall half.  I'm thinking maybe Boulder and Austin, or if I can't find a summer one I'll probably go to Miami for the 70.3 in the fall since I have free room and board.

Boulder would be some interesting climbs for you. I've thought about going down to Miami for that one. Looks like a lot of fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86