BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-04-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3449632

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
suzimmer - 2011-04-15 8:21 PM

Hi all,

Haven't checked in for awhile.  It's been a hellish week and I'm glad it's over.  

Just a little update on the running.  Well, against all sane advice I decided to run the half marathon in St. Louis.  To my credit, as soon as we arrived at the expo I went and exchanged my marathon registration for the half because I know me and me can be pretty stubborn (read: stupid) sometimes when it comes to running.  I knew if I didn't I would be tempted to be really stupid.  Instead I was only half stupid.    I ran the 5k with my husband on Sat just to test out the leg.  Felt ok.  So....

The half and full run at the same time.  At mile 10 the half marathoners turn back and the full keep going.  I the run with one of my friends who was running the marathon.  It was pretty hot in St. Louis last weekend.  70 degrees at 6 am race day.  Due to the heat and some other factors my friend decided to do the half instead of the full, so we ran the whole thing together.  Now, my run did include some walk breaks, esp after mile 11.  Finished at 2:08:53.  Not too bad given the fact that I hadn't been running for the past 8 weeks.

Now the hard part was coming clean to my PT.  But the good thing is I didn't set myself back.

And now, I promise to be good and listen to my PT.

Congrats on your race!!! Glad it didn't set you back!

2011-04-16 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3450076

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Regarding nutrition on the bike:

I like to use Cliff shot blocks or cliff shot. I use Cliff because it is rice based not corn and I can't eat corn.  But there are plenty of other similar products like GU etc.  I like these because they are easy to carry and easy to consume.

Edited by suzimmer 2011-04-16 12:57 PM
2011-04-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3449834

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

SueZ - NICE RUN!!!!!! good choices too, it's like crack I'm sure. just a nibble.....

Thanks, and you are so right....just a nibble...and I'm itching for more.   My sister's running a 5k tomorrow......But, I promised the PT I would be good, so I will.  For now....

Also, I 'd just like to say how much a good workout, whether it be running, biking...whatever, can make you feel so much better in both body and spirit.  I had a horrible week at school.  Very stressful.  Due to the stress and constant meetings over the "situation", I had a 3 day headache and only got to the club once during the week.  I went this morning and had a really good sweaty workout on the elliptical and stationary bike (PT said OK to try).  Felt SO much better afterwards.  

Edited by suzimmer 2011-04-16 1:06 PM
2011-04-16 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3450112

User image

Master
Orlando
McFuzz - 2011-04-16 11:36 AM
amd723 - 2011-04-16 11:01 AM

I've got a question for the biking McFuzzies - what do you do for nutrition on the bike?  I've got a 2 hr ride followed by a 40 minute run on the agenda for tomorrow and I think it may be time for more than just water on the bike.  So, when do you start looking at taking in calories and what form do those calories take? 

Ann-Marie

Two hours I usually have just water, but I also carry some nutrition with me just in case.  I'll pack snack crackers, breakfast bars, granola bars, a bag of almonds, banana chips, sometimes a banana.  I've carried PB&J and Payday candy bars.  I do the occasional gel or powerbar and at 3 hours usually take a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water. 

Thanks, when I run i don't usually take anything but water for runs lasting less then about 2.5 hrs, so it's nice to see that is about the same guideline to use for the bike and or bike-run combo.

2011-04-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3450190

User image

Master
Orlando
suzimmer - 2011-04-16 12:56 PM

I like to use Cliff shot blocks or cliff shot. I use Cliff because it is rice based not corn and I can't eat corn.  But there are plenty of other similar products like GU etc.  I like these because they are easy to carry and easy to consume.

I wish I could use gel like products, but they don't always agree with me.  If they did, it would make life so much easier

2011-04-17 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3450306

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
amd723 - 2011-04-16 4:23 PM

I wish I could use gel like products, but they don't always agree with me.  If they did, it would make life so much easier

I don't particularly like the gels either, but if I dilute them in water or something else they are easier to drink. Accel Gel has protein and I believe Gu does not.

For a sports drink I use Ceralyte, it's rice-based and has no preservatives so it's easier on the system. Ceralyte.com

2011-04-17 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3450190

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Rice based?  Very interesting.  I only use Clif Shots (Clif Shot Double espresso mocha caffeine is my favorite) I never knew why, but all the other upset my stomach when Cliff shots don't.  I guess I know why now.  Anyways, I use them if I am doing 2 hour run or more, and 3 hour bike or more.  I also carry water and Hammer Head (melon is my favorite flavor).

2011-04-17 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3449834

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

stephsprint - 2011-04-16 5:41 AM The accidents tend to happen to people riding alone, I've noticed. Particularly the deaths. The driver does a hit and run and the cyclist is left there. I'm also getting a smaller cell phone so I can have it with me. Anybody else feel like an outer-space creature with all the STUFF strapped aboard? Heart rate strap and giant gps watch, road ID, fuel belt, compression socks...it's a wonder I can move at all! And it's hot down here now... so it all feels rather constricting. Another first.. I canceled my golf tournament this weekend so I can run. .

I just started wearing compression gear this year.  Found some cool sleeves and compression calf guards (instead of socks) that have a cooling effect..  Not sure if I fully buy into it, but their research says it keeps your skin 7% cooler than the sun shining on you with nothing on.  Either way, they are not at all hot.  May be a good alternative to compression socks in the heat.

http://www.amazon.com/2XU-Compression-Calf-Guard-White/dp/B003TYK766/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1303082900&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Elixir-Cooler-Cooling-Sleeves-ZIZIX/dp/B0041QJELU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1303082938&sr=1-8

2011-04-17 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3449885

Veteran
amd723 - 2011-04-16 8:35 AM

stephsprint - 2011-04-16 5:41 AM The accidents tend to happen to people riding alone, I've noticed. Particularly the deaths. The driver does a hit and run and the cyclist is left there. I'm also getting a smaller cell phone so I can have it with me. Anybody else feel like an outer-space creature with all the STUFF strapped aboard? Heart rate strap and giant gps watch, road ID, fuel belt, compression socks...it's a wonder I can move at all! And it's hot down here now... so it all feels rather constricting. Another first.. I canceled my golf tournament this weekend so I can run. I have a 37 week marathon training schedule worked out. I'd like to rung the ING Miami in January. I still need a new sprint tri...maybe in august.. to be my first. Cycling seems to be the hardest thing on the sore foot. Most annoying. SueZ - NICE RUN!!!!!! good choices too, it's like crack I'm sure. just a nibble.....

You run in compression socks in Florida!  I don't know how you do it - i'm always trying to figure out what else I can take off without being arrested for indecent exposure! 

If you're looking for a nice sprint tri in Miami in August you should consider the Huntington's Disease Tr.  I think it is Aug. 1 this year.  It is on Key Biscayne.  I did it last year, it is a nice race and all proceeds go to fight the disease.  If that doesn't work for you check out the multirace website.  I've done a few of their races too (and will do more this year), they are very well run and are also on Key Biscayne. 

Happy weekend everyone!

Ann-Marie

I would run naked if I could.  Just saying..... I think the pantie runs are an AWESOME idea.  Still to much clothing, but back to the whole indecent exposure thing.  Just because I want to run naked doesn't mean others would want me to run naked. YIKES! Surprised - Ree

Edited by Ree 2011-04-17 10:14 PM
2011-04-18 5:37 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
It's the little footrace in Boston today! I can't seem to find where it will be on TV...I'd like to tape a little of it for inspiration.

Compression socks. Yep hot. But the little shin pains are a thing of the past. I don't wear them every time I run, but I probably should. Naked running? um...nobody wants to see that. Apparently there are places where people play golf naked...might be the one place where it's an improvement over the clothes some people wear! Ew.

My birthday is this Saturday so I'm doing a birthday 5k. I think I'll feel 'normal' again if I do a race. Husband and I ran on the beach yesterday, hard packed, and it was good. It's tough to stay at 2 miles, but this week I get to add some. slow slow slow. The 5k is breaking the rules, but it's my birthday! 47 geesh.

I just read in one of these magazines (there are so many in my house now) that some pro-triathlete does a huge amount of his bike training on a trainer indoors! Kinda makes sense to me. I don't have a trainer, but I have a spin bike. Maybe I'll do one long ride on the weekends and do the rest of my training on the spinner. Safety.

That Huningtons tri looks like a good one of they can sort out the eColi bacteria thing around key biscayne. Until then, I'll stick to the ocean!

Dean K is in Indiana! He ran around the Indiana Motor Speedway yesterday! How cool is that? I went to Drake University, Home of the Drake Relays, and the Des Moines marathon does a loop around the famous Jim Duncan track. Next year I think. ;-)
2011-04-18 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3451821

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

stephsprint - 2011-04-18 5:37 AM It's the little footrace in Boston today! I can't seem to find where it will be on TV...I'd like to tape a little of it for inspiration. Compression socks. Yep hot. But the little shin pains are a thing of the past. I don't wear them every time I run, but I probably should. Naked running? um...nobody wants to see that. Apparently there are places where people play golf naked...might be the one place where it's an improvement over the clothes some people wear! Ew. My birthday is this Saturday so I'm doing a birthday 5k. I think I'll feel 'normal' again if I do a race. Husband and I ran on the beach yesterday, hard packed, and it was good. It's tough to stay at 2 miles, but this week I get to add some. slow slow slow. The 5k is breaking the rules, but it's my birthday! 47 geesh. I just read in one of these magazines (there are so many in my house now) that some pro-triathlete does a huge amount of his bike training on a trainer indoors! Kinda makes sense to me. I don't have a trainer, but I have a spin bike. Maybe I'll do one long ride on the weekends and do the rest of my training on the spinner. Safety. That Huningtons tri looks like a good one of they can sort out the eColi bacteria thing around key biscayne. Until then, I'll stick to the ocean! Dean K is in Indiana! He ran around the Indiana Motor Speedway yesterday! How cool is that? I went to Drake University, Home of the Drake Relays, and the Des Moines marathon does a loop around the famous Jim Duncan track. Next year I think. ;-)

Steph - I think the Boston Marathon is being covered live at Universal Sports. I don't know if it is on tv today or whether they will have a recap over the weekend.

2011-04-18 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I'm sorry, think I missed it.  Where do you ladies train   ?

3 hours plus, Gu in water, Carbo Pro in Powerade, and for longer, Hammer Perpetleum

2011-04-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3452712

User image

Master
Orlando
IceManScott - 2011-04-18 12:16 PM

I'm sorry, think I missed it.  Where do you ladies train   ?

3 hours plus, Gu in water, Carbo Pro in Powerade, and for longer, Hammer Perpetleum

I've never tried Carb Pro, will have to check it out.  Thanks.

Ann-Marie

2011-04-18 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3451821

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

stephsprint - 2011-04-18 5:37 AM It's the little footrace in Boston today! I can't seem to find where it will be on TV...I'd like to tape a little of it for inspiration. Compression socks. Yep hot. But the little shin pains are a thing of the past. I don't wear them every time I run, but I probably should. Naked running? um...nobody wants to see that. Apparently there are places where people play golf naked...might be the one place where it's an improvement over the clothes some people wear! Ew. My birthday is this Saturday so I'm doing a birthday 5k. I think I'll feel 'normal' again if I do a race. Husband and I ran on the beach yesterday, hard packed, and it was good. It's tough to stay at 2 miles, but this week I get to add some. slow slow slow. The 5k is breaking the rules, but it's my birthday! 47 geesh. I just read in one of these magazines (there are so many in my house now) that some pro-triathlete does a huge amount of his bike training on a trainer indoors! Kinda makes sense to me. I don't have a trainer, but I have a spin bike. Maybe I'll do one long ride on the weekends and do the rest of my training on the spinner. Safety. That Huningtons tri looks like a good one of they can sort out the eColi bacteria thing around key biscayne. Until then, I'll stick to the ocean! Dean K is in Indiana! He ran around the Indiana Motor Speedway yesterday! How cool is that? I went to Drake University, Home of the Drake Relays, and the Des Moines marathon does a loop around the famous Jim Duncan track. Next year I think. ;-)

I caught the highlights on the new of Boston... New womens record of 2:22 (won't count because of the strong tailwinds I heard)

I am running the One America Mini Marathon in May (one full lap around the track is part of the course)  First race ever with my brother, we are planning to run it together - start to finish.  I am stoked!

2011-04-18 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3450306

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
amd723 - 2011-04-16 4:23 PM

A lot of them have caffeine in them so maybe try the ones with out? Also you need to consume 6-8oz of water with a pack so they absorbe into your system, at least thats whats recommended on the Gu web site. Theres some a prduct called Honey Stinger Waffles that I swear by. I buy them in my LBS...

2011-04-18 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

suzimmer and Steph, so glad yto hear you guys are back to RUNNING! Suzinmmer< thats a pretty great 1/2 mary time with a walk to boot...

Steph, I'm so excited that you are doing a marathon! Thats HUGE! I've never considered even thinking of doing one, rather when I think of trying to run a marathon or train for one, it just seems very scary and BIG and I immediatly think, no way can I do that. For some reason reading that you are going to train for one made me think for a second that maybe I could do it too. Wow, just got a little rush. Still I feel a bit blocked by the whole MARATHON thing. Maybe the way I should approach it is to just train for one but not sign up for one...yet. or something. I've got a marathon block.

2011-04-18 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

BOSTON MARATHON -OMG the finish of the womans race, Uh-mazing!

check it...

http://www.letsrun.com/2011/boston-marathon-video110417.php

2011-04-19 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3453934

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Corncub - 2011-04-18 11:15 PM

suzimmer and Steph, so glad yto hear you guys are back to RUNNING! Suzinmmer< thats a pretty great 1/2 mary time with a walk to boot...

Steph, I'm so excited that you are doing a marathon! Thats HUGE! I've never considered even thinking of doing one, rather when I think of trying to run a marathon or train for one, it just seems very scary and BIG and I immediatly think, no way can I do that. For some reason reading that you are going to train for one made me think for a second that maybe I could do it too. Wow, just got a little rush. Still I feel a bit blocked by the whole MARATHON thing. Maybe the way I should approach it is to just train for one but not sign up for one...yet. or something. I've got a marathon block.

Well my husband did his first in January. I was the ultimate spousal support unit.. he then proceeded to do 3 in 51 days. He's hooked. I've always thought it an amazing feat. I saw people walking. I saw finishing times 7+ hours. I think if it's managed well, it can be done. I always need something to shoot for. Still need to find a local tri to be my first and there are a bunch in august/sept. My foot still hurts but not as much so why not? I have plenty of time. At least I'll find out what my limits are. Maybe it's 8.48 miles... my longest yet before injury. I doubt that though. I've learned a lot about stretching, heat and ice. What a head game, huh? FUN.

All the McFuzzies should come to Miami in January and run the half or the full marathon WITH me. Just a suggestion...
2011-04-19 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3454071

User image

Longview, Texas
stephsprint - 2011-04-19 6:39 AM
Corncub - 2011-04-18 11:15 PM

Well my husband did his first in January. I was the ultimate spousal support unit.. he then proceeded to do 3 in 51 days. He's hooked. I've always thought it an amazing feat. I saw people walking. I saw finishing times 7+ hours. I think if it's managed well, it can be done. I always need something to shoot for. Still need to find a local tri to be my first and there are a bunch in august/sept. My foot still hurts but not as much so why not? I have plenty of time. At least I'll find out what my limits are. Maybe it's 8.48 miles... my longest yet before injury. I doubt that though. I've learned a lot about stretching, heat and ice. What a head game, huh? FUN. All the McFuzzies should come to Miami in January and run the half or the full marathon WITH me. Just a suggestion...

you don't have to ask twice... :-)

I'm fighting a cold/flue like symptoms for the last 3 days.  hope to get better soon, I hate being sick

2011-04-19 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Feel better Ricardo!

I have a marathon block too!!! I got to get through my first HM first, but my sister-in-law wants to be to come to OK in November and do a marathon with (it would be her first too). Seems huge - not sure I am ready to commit!

Miami in the winter - sounds awesome!

2011-04-19 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3454071

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

All the McFuzzies should come to Miami in January and run the half or the full marathon WITH me. Just a suggestion...

How fun would that be!  I've decided that destination races are the most fun.

2011-04-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3455754

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
suzimmer - 2011-04-19 10:08 PM

How fun would that be!  I've decided that destination races are the most fun.

I did the Miami marathon in 08.  Was pretty awesome to run the bridges and run in downtown S. beach. Unfortunately prob won't be able to do in 2012, b/c hopefully I'll get my bid in for Boston!!

2011-04-19 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3455772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Once you do a marathon, you feel like you can do anything.  You absolutely must work up to one.  It's not such a big deal now that I've completed a couple.

There is of course the phsysical preparation that is necessary, but the mental barrier that you break through once you've completed it is HUGE.

2011-04-20 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3455898

User image

Master
Orlando
ecpasos - 2011-04-19 11:54 PM

Once you do a marathon, you feel like you can do anything.  You absolutely must work up to one.  It's not such a big deal now that I've completed a couple.

There is of course the phsysical preparation that is necessary, but the mental barrier that you break through once you've completed it is HUGE.

Totally agree with this ^.  When I committed to my first marathon just the thought of running 10 miles was very daunting.  After I ran my 1st one my perspective totally changed -now a short training run is 10-13 miles. 

Ann-Marie

2011-04-20 4:43 AM
in reply to: #3455898

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-04-20 12:54 AM

THAT is why I'm doing it.

Sounds like there might be some takers on this Miami Marathon! You guys are TOO much, and that's why I adore you all!

Today is a rest day on my run program. These are the toughest. We ought to be able to log our rest and take credit for it. ;-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106