in reply to: #3256813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

Start 2:20pm

Planned 1,300yds w/ 6x75yd sprints 20 ri

Actual 1,860yds w/6x80yd sprints 20 ri

I believe I am finally getting a connection with swimming. I am finally bilateral breathing every 3 strokes without having to think about it, in doing so I can feel my left arm is more sore since it is having to catch up to my right on strength.
Now last Tuesdays swim and especially today I could actually feel my whole arms pushing the water not just the hands. Can really feel the good soreness I love that type of pain.

It sure nice to finally see some progress.

Still need to work on my right arm in getting it up higher so it doesn't drag through the water.

2011-01-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3322331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
sdalessio - 2011-01-26 8:53 AM One more song that I came across that is a good running song: Mary J  Blige - Family Affair.

Thanks again to all those who posted song lists.  Lots of variety and great stuff!

Another Favorite of mine is Radar Love by Golden Earring
2011-01-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3325929

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fowlmood - 2011-01-27 9:40 PM
sdalessio - 2011-01-26 8:53 AM One more song that I came across that is a good running song: Mary J  Blige - Family Affair.

Thanks again to all those who posted song lists.  Lots of variety and great stuff!

I got that one too along with Twilight Zone by Golden Earring!
2011-01-27 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3325684

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2011-01-27 3:33 PM HA!!!    My guys also participate in the USAT challenge, and our club coordinator mis-posted.  Zach is listed as number 1 in the country with over 14,000 running miles in the last 7 weeks!

Gotta love it, when I had NOTHING to do with this error.  Gonna print it and frame it - adter I forward to his cross-country coach!!

Look quick, before they fix it!

http://www.race-tracker.net/USAT/standings_athletes.cfm

Great for Zach!  What about that Kathleen gal!  holy smokin miles!  hope hers is a typo, too. 
2011-01-27 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

In the spirit of swimming improvement, I had masters swim this AM and we had a 2km swim test.  38'24" baby!!!!! by far my fastest time to date! not bad for someone who learned how to swim 1.5 years ago

On stroke correction, my coach noticed that part of the reason I'm dropping my left arm is that my breathing on my right side is delayed and I need to turn to breath sooner (somewhere around when my right hand enters the water).  I scheduled a private stroke correction session next wed. maybe he'll do video.

For more visual, here's my stroke right when I was started to learn how to swim.. be kind.. I'm still a rookie!

2011-01-27 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3325929

User image

Elite
san francisco
fowlmood - 2011-01-27 6:40 PM

Love that MJB-Family affair, too!
This morning, it was me and Lady Gaga's Paparrazzi and that awesome Disco song!  Hit the replay a few times there!

Nice job on the swim, Bryce.

2011-01-27 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3325963

User image

Elite
san francisco
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 7:01 PM Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

In the spirit of swimming improvement, I had masters swim this AM and we had a 2km swim test.  38'24" baby!!!!! by far my fastest time to date! not bad for someone who learned how to swim 1.5 years ago

On stroke correction, my coach noticed that part of the reason I'm dropping my left arm is that my breathing on my right side is delayed and I need to turn to breath sooner (somewhere around when my right hand enters the water).  I scheduled a private stroke correction session next wed. maybe he'll do video.

For more visual, here's my stroke right when I was started to learn how to swim.. be kind.. I'm still a rookie!

THAT is freaking AWESOME! 
2011-01-27 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Thanks for sharing the vid Doug.  If you're hitting 1:25 per 100, you're doing great (much faster than me).    I just finished looking at a set of tips from Karlyn Pipes-Nielsen.   There are 5 total and here's the link to the first one.   The links to the others show at the end of each video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44&feature=youtu.be&a 
2011-01-27 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-28 12:01 AM Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

Interesting.  My coach had me try the same thing recently, i.e., rotate my head quicker to air.  It improved my head position and cut down some on the left arm drop.  When I hit it right I feel like I'm riding higher in the water. 
2011-01-27 9:10 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Well hello strangers. Read the last 100 pages, and I think I am all caught up.
Disney was great. Lots of walking, and I did squeeze in 3 early morning runs. Girls were thrilled meeting all the characters, and getting their autographs,etc. All the princesses/fairies but Tinkerbell was the fav.
Old country song- John Anderson Straight Tequila Night.
Best Toby Keith - Stays in Mexico

Snow Patrol - crack the Shutters. Me likes the snow patrol
Van Halen _ Right Now
All american Rejects - Anything really. 'Move alon'g is good.
Ace Frehley - New York Groove - Retro rock
30 seconds to mars - Kings and queens ( love it!!)
U2- streets have no name
Lifehouse - Halfway Gone
Guru JOsh Project Infinity - watch this video and then download the song
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5sbQJROyn8 (your welcome)
Flo Rida - club cant handle me

And of course - Don't stop Believing!!
2011-01-27 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3324409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
That was great. your video also showed me some more stuff to work on. makes me wish I had a coach or the ability to get one.

Edited by fowlmood 2011-01-27 9:35 PM

2011-01-27 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3325970

User image

Veteran
New York
dcon - 2011-01-28 11:05 AM Thanks for sharing the vid Doug.  If you're hitting 1:25 per 100, you're doing great (much faster than me).    I just finished looking at a set of tips from Karlyn Pipes-Nielsen.   There are 5 total and here's the link to the first one.   The links to the others show at the end of each video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44&feature=youtu.be&a 

great video.  One i need to bookmark.
2011-01-27 9:26 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 10:01 PM Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

That is just a bit farther than a 70.3 swim, and that is an AWESOME time for that distance! Especially in January. Well done!
2011-01-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3326007

User image

Veteran
New York
DougRob - 2011-01-28 11:26 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 10:01 PM Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

That is just a bit farther than a 70.3 swim, and that is an AWESOME time for that distance! Especially in January. Well done!

Thanks Doug. 

I'm happy with the progress so far, but I know that this is only pool splits.  Open water is a different ball game.  While I'm thinking of it, how much time would you add/subtract from your pool time to your open water time.  I know that there's a lot of other variables swimming open water (current, other swimmers, waves, etc.), but is there a very general rule of thumb on this?  Sort of like a HM run time vs. a HIM HM run time..  generally speaking, I've read and been told that you should add 10-15 mins to your HM run time.
2011-01-28 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Doug:good  swim video. You are really working it and you're absolutley right about slowing down to speed up. You use so much less energy with good technique

Bryce. Good on you. Sounds like you're improving all round.

2011-01-28 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3325720

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2011-01-27 6:12 PM
Dino:  I hope you are back in action after your sickness.  The man is sick again, coughing like crazy.  I feel very fortunate to get to sit next to him on a plane for 8 hours!

Have a great trip!!!

I just feel like I'm back in the land of the living this morning.  The flu settled in my sinuses, so other than being stuffed up and high on Benadyrl and Claritan (hope they're not on the banned substance list!), I think I am going to live.  I have not done anything except work and sleep since Tuesday morning...so my last workout was last Sunday.  The TTT tommorrow (with SoccerGK) should be interesting on very rested legs??  (trying to look at the upside.)

I reviewed this weeks training situation via e-mail last night with the EN Crew and I am moving everything back a week again in OS.  So I start week 15 over again Tuesday morning.  

This week has been a blur!

Back to work...important meeting in a hour.

2011-01-28 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3326017

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 9:33 PM
I'm happy with the progress so far, but I know that this is only pool splits.  Open water is a different ball game.  While I'm thinking of it, how much time would you add/subtract from your pool time to your open water time.  I know that there's a lot of other variables swimming open water (current, other swimmers, waves, etc.), but is there a very general rule of thumb on this?  Sort of like a HM run time vs. a HIM HM run time..  generally speaking, I've read and been told that you should add 10-15 mins to your HM run time.

I will preference my next statement with .....In my opinion:  Foot in mouth
You should not lose any split time from the pool to OWS, especially with a wetsuit.  You actually should be a little faster, unless you sight really poorly and get off course or lose your stroke rhythm when you sight.  Remember, you lose time on every turn in the pool and the extra buoyancy from the suit always helps. 

Obviously, I assuming you have the fitness to keep your stroke count, kick strength the same through out the swim.
2011-01-28 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3326402

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
badgerintx - 2011-01-28 9:18 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 9:33 PM

I will preference my next statement with .....In my opinion:  Foot in mouth
You should not lose any split time from the pool to OWS, especially with a wetsuit.  You actually should be a little faster, unless you sight really poorly and get off course or lose your stroke rhythm when you sight.  Remember, you lose time on every turn in the pool and the extra buoyancy from the suit always helps. 

Obviously, I assuming you have the fitness to keep your stroke count, kick strength the same through out the swim.

I tend to be a bit slower in OWS due to sighting & congestion (bumping, having to go around people, etc).  Wetsuit does help but you also lose the glide from pushing off the wall.

Probably would be even if I was better on what to do when I come up on people or really settled into a draft.
2011-01-28 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3326375

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
badgerintx - 2011-01-28 8:10 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-27 6:12 PM
Dino:  I hope you are back in action after your sickness.  The man is sick again, coughing like crazy.  I feel very fortunate to get to sit next to him on a plane for 8 hours!

Have a great trip!!!

I just feel like I'm back in the land of the living this morning.  The flu settled in my sinuses, so other than being stuffed up and high on Benadyrl and Claritan (hope they're not on the banned substance list!), I think I am going to live.  I have not done anything except work and sleep since Tuesday morning...so my last workout was last Sunday.  The TTT tommorrow (with SoccerGK) should be interesting on very rested legs??  (trying to look at the upside.)

I reviewed this weeks training situation via e-mail last night with the EN Crew and I am moving everything back a week again in OS.  So I start week 15 over again Tuesday morning.  

This week has been a blur!

Back to work...important meeting in a hour.

I'm glad you're better!  I took yesterday off and today I'm only swimming, so my legs should be ready for tomorrow's TTT. 

Ryan is nervous about his hills, so I challenged him to just try and be as fast as I am on the flats!  It would make me feel awesome if I actually went faster than him for a change, though...
2011-01-28 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3326017

User image

Master
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 7:33 PM
DougRob - 2011-01-28 11:26 AM

Thanks Doug. 

So as you see, you already have two replies saying "faster" and "slower." It will be what it will be. I really don't see any way to predict or correlate. Yes, you have a wetsuit and that helps with buoyancy. The less buoyant you are in the pool, the more it will help you in the open water. There are sighting and course variables. You can't even compare your times in the same race from one year to the next -- swim courses are less than accurate and I've had times vary a few minutes from one year to the next over a short distance (and if you study the overall times of the competitors, you notice slower swims one year to the next). Me, personally, my OWS times tend to be slower than my pool times. Partly because I'm a decent swimmer so I get less wetsuit benefit. I don't know why else I'm slower (I consider myself a very good sighter), but I'll tell you it bugs me and motivates me to work harder in the pool AND the lake!!

BTW, Congrats on your 2k time! Awesome!!!!
2011-01-28 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I made it to Minneapolis, only two more flights to go!!!

Last year I was faster in OW than in a pool.  I think the wetsuit and the fact I was scared as he$$ contributed to that result....should be interesting to see what this season will bring.  Have a swimming video and lesson with my new coach when I get back so fingers crossed it'll be a bit faster Suzy this year.

Aloha!

2011-01-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3325927

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fowlmood - 2011-01-27 6:37 PM

Start 2:20pm

Planned 1,300yds w/ 6x75yd sprints 20 ri

Actual 1,860yds w/6x80yd sprints 20 ri

I believe I am finally getting a connection with swimming. I am finally bilateral breathing every 3 strokes without having to think about it, in doing so I can feel my left arm is more sore since it is having to catch up to my right on strength.
Now last Tuesdays swim and especially today I could actually feel my whole arms pushing the water not just the hands. Can really feel the good soreness I love that type of pain.

It sure nice to finally see some progress.

Still need to work on my right arm in getting it up higher so it doesn't drag through the water.

NICE JOB!!    Next thing, you'll start thinking of swimming as the easy part!!
2011-01-28 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I'm faster in the pool.  I do GREAT walls!!  Cool

The wetsuit helps, but I'm a relatively strong swimmer so I think the advantage lessens with that.  I also use the walls a lot, with a good streamline, to pick up the speed AND rest a bit, kinda like a downhill on the bike.

that, and I tend to get just a wee bit lost in OWS.

Kidnapping hubby and heading up to wine country for an overnighter.  Nice dinner, nice hotel, bringing our bikes for a Saturday spin, little wine tasting......ahhhhhh.

I'll be a new woman!!

2011-01-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3327001

User image

Master
velcromom - 2011-01-28 9:32 AM

The wetsuit helps, but I'm a relatively strong swimmer so I think the advantage lessens with that.  I also use the walls a lot, with a good streamline, to pick up the speed AND rest a bit, kinda like a downhill on the bike.

Kidnapping hubby and heading up to wine country for an overnighter.  Nice dinner, nice hotel, bringing our bikes for a Saturday spin, little wine tasting......ahhhhhh.

I'll be a new woman!!

With new boots!!!
2011-01-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3327131

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-01-28 10:31 AM
velcromom - 2011-01-28 9:32 AM

I'll be a new woman!!

With new boots!!!

Nice, Linda!  hey did we ever get to see a pic of those boots????  or did i miss it?  boohoo 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171