BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 95

2012-03-16 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4098715

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-03-16 5:17 AM
in reply to: #3946905

Edited by Fred D 2012-03-16 5:17 AM
2012-03-16 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4098728

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Subject: RE: Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED

Fred D - 2012-03-16 11:13 AM
What were your favorite Disney experiences?

I'm definitely an adrenaline junkie, so pretty much all the thrill rides. However, I realise Disney is a bit of an odd choice for that kind of experience (especially when you go without kids), but we loved the whole story they create around the rides and the attention to the smallest details.

2012-03-16 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4098770

Payson, AZ
sicone - 2012-03-16 4:33 AM

Fred D - 2012-03-16 11:13 AM
What were your favorite Disney experiences?

I'm definitely an adrenaline junkie, so pretty much all the thrill rides. However, I realise Disney is a bit of an odd choice for that kind of experience (especially when you go without kids), but we loved the whole story they create around the rides and the attention to the smallest details.

Funny you should say that.  I feel Disney is more for adults anyways.  Every time I go it strikes me how miserable a majority of the kids seem to be.  Oh sure, they perk up when they are around their favorite character or something but as an innocent by stander I see misery .

2012-03-16 6:54 AM

Payson, AZ
I have a swim and a speed run on tap for today.  Going to put on the wetsuit and head down the street and swim at my pool.  Been 80's all week, it should be tolerable in there.  I hate swimming in a wetsuit so I am hoping with a few weeks of pool swimming I'll at least tolerate it better for the race.
2012-03-16 8:13 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Rough couple of days with work and travel.  I was still able to get my workouts in but the afternoon run yesterday I was dragging bad...tapped out of energy. 

This morning I felt much better and did a 7 mile run w/ 3 miles at tempo.  I can definitely tell that I have neglected tempo/speed work for a bit too long as my paces were not what I was hoping for.  Planning to go for a swim later.

Rudy - I want that Litespeed.  That is sick. 

2012-03-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4098884

2012-03-16 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4095704

Expert
Lancaster, PA
juniperjen - 2012-03-14 9:38 AM

So, things are fine with me.  My family is going through a bit of a health scare - my mom had a positive test for uterine cancer.  The prognosis looks really good - this is probably catching it in the very early stages but we don't know yet.  There's more surgery and tests before we know.  Mentally and logically i know she's going to be fine and this is a very good situation for cancer but it's really hard to process.  We are all so young. My mom is just 52 - which doesn't make a lick of difference to cancer except that i thought the big health challengers were further down the road.  Oh the ignorance!

Anyway, i am fine. I took some time yesterday afternoon to let it out.

I am so very happy to have ironman training as a physical outlet.  At least to physically exhaust me.  But this morning i put off trainer time to after work. So, I have an hour on the bike and an hour in the pool on the sched for tonight. 

Jen- my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

2012-03-16 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4091090

Expert
Lancaster, PA

ChrisM - 2012-03-11 8:01 PM First open water swim of the year in the books. Got a new wetsuit and had to try new goggles since they discontinued my favorites. Also wanted some cold water acclimation for calif 70.3. Wife said she didn't want me ow swimming alone, I can respect that, so drove a bit down the road to Naples bay, a nice little protected bay with a swim area. Did 30 minutes or so, very glad I did. Every year I forget how different pool and ow swimming is. Not too bad, probably mid 50s water temps but wore 2 caps. Brought the squid lid but left it in the bag. This was on top of 65/3 brick yesterday and 10 mile trail run this morning, so I am a bit toasty. Need to watch the food intake on weekends like this as I tend to use the mileage as an excuse to grab whatever looks good and tasty. Now comes the "science" of not losing fitness or sharpness leading into a long course race

Your wife and mine sound a like when it comes to swimming alone. 

Which wetsuit did you get?

2012-03-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4098715

Expert
Lancaster, PA
sicone - 2012-03-16 4:31 AM

Hey gang, I'm back from Disney! I'd forgotten how much I love places like that!

On the down side, I'm sure 3 evenings of all you can eat buffet have not been a good thing even with all the walking we did.

I am glad you had a great time- my favorite place to go.

2012-03-16 9:27 AM

Expert
Lancaster, PA

Rudy - I am with Rymac - Sick Litespeed.

I swam again this morning with the tri group. I was contacted by the doctor's office and they told me to make an appointment so we could discuss the MRI results. I called two days ago and they told they could not see me until the end/first of next month! I almost flipped! I haven't done anything the last two weeks and have to wait another two weeks. 

I almost called the Dr's office and told them to send all my info to Fred as I was going to be switching doctors- def would not look right!

I am calling today to switch Doctors and already have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday. We'll see how this goes... moving on.... with all of this swimming, seems like I am starting to see some speed gains, which is always a good thing. One reason I like getting up and swimming with the club so I can make myself/try to keep up with this swimmer (43mins on a 2.4mile course). 

Have a great day everyone!

Thomas

tom-  I have the Xterra Vortex full suit- I will be using it soon! I got it because of a great deal.

2012-03-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4099049

2012-03-16 9:52 AM

Payson, AZ
wetsuit question.  I swam in mine this morning.  For sure faster, but tiring.  Does anyone else find swimming in their wetsuit tiring?  Especially the arms.  I have full mobility, it is not a shoulder thing.  Maybe I am doing something different with my stroke cause I am in a wetsuit but it doesn't feel like it. 
2012-03-16 9:53 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Tom - I have the Helix Sleeveless.  It is a good suit and fits like a glove.  The one issue I have had is that my shoulder fatigues quite a bit during Oly or HIM distance swims.  I think it mainly has to do with the elasticity at the shoulder pulling down quite a bit due to the tighter fit of the suit.

It does have very good buoyancy.  I would probably go with a lower priced wetsuit if I did it again today.

2012-03-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4099115

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

bzgl40 - 2012-03-16 3:52 PM wetsuit question.  I swam in mine this morning.  For sure faster, but tiring.  Does anyone else find swimming in their wetsuit tiring?  Especially the arms.  I have full mobility, it is not a shoulder thing.  Maybe I am doing something different with my stroke cause I am in a wetsuit but it doesn't feel like it. 
I find that my right shoulder always feels more fatigued when I swim in my wetsuit. Not sure what causes it and why it's only ever my right shoulder.

Just got back from my run. Kept it short and slower paced as it's the first run I've done since Sunday and my shins were starting to hurt within 15mins!

2012-03-16 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4098958

Payson, AZ
TSimone - 2012-03-16 6:49 AM

Halfway thru the first week of our weight loss tracking.  How's everybody doing with the eating?  So far I've been pretty good with no major slip ups.  Gotta get through the weekend though, which is normally tougher. 

So far so good for me.  The weight is slowly coming off (what can I say, I weight daily) and I am eating less.  Most important, less junk, which seems to be helping with the energy a bit.  Last week I was horrible in the afternoons.  And now it should go even better now that I finished off the bag of Candbury mini eggs.  Evil those things are...  I actually tend to do ok on the weekends since I am gone most of the morning training.  Less time to eat.  Although when Tina is home sometimes that gets ruined with eating out

2012-03-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4099115

bzgl40 - 2012-03-16 7:52 AM wetsuit question.  I swam in mine this morning.  For sure faster, but tiring.  Does anyone else find swimming in their wetsuit tiring?  Especially the arms.  I have full mobility, it is not a shoulder thing.  Maybe I am doing something different with my stroke cause I am in a wetsuit but it doesn't feel like it. 

I find the first OW swim is an eye opener every season.   It reminds me that I have to be diligent about putting the wetsuit on correctly, and giving time to warm up, as my shoulders also get fatigued.  I also just need to get used to long swims without turns every season

I am sure we all know how to put a wetsuit on correctly, so won't go into that, but an additional tip I learned a couple years ago.... 

if you take the wetsuit arms and twist them slightly either while putting it on or afterwards, to the outside, the natural pull of the rubber "returning to center" will help bring your arm forward naturally during the recovery.  Make your wetsuit work for you, not against you!

2012-03-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4098999

golfpro - 2012-03-16 7:11 AM

ChrisM - 2012-03-11 8:01 PM First open water swim of the year in the books. Got a new wetsuit and had to try new goggles since they discontinued my favorites. Also wanted some cold water acclimation for calif 70.3. Wife said she didn't want me ow swimming alone, I can respect that, so drove a bit down the road to Naples bay, a nice little protected bay with a swim area. Did 30 minutes or so, very glad I did. Every year I forget how different pool and ow swimming is. Not too bad, probably mid 50s water temps but wore 2 caps. Brought the squid lid but left it in the bag. This was on top of 65/3 brick yesterday and 10 mile trail run this morning, so I am a bit toasty. Need to watch the food intake on weekends like this as I tend to use the mileage as an excuse to grab whatever looks good and tasty. Now comes the "science" of not losing fitness or sharpness leading into a long course race

Your wife and mine sound a like when it comes to swimming alone. 

Which wetsuit did you get?

I think swimming alone is fine (after all, even when I am with a group, rarely is there someone right next to me, I am for all intents and purposes alone), but respect her wishes.  Funny, she has no problem with me scuba diving solo in kelp....   :^

Have had OK experiences with Xterra,and they're cheap, so went with the tri club discount to go one up from entry level, got the Vector Pro.  I am not sure I'd notice a difference one wetsuit to another, but maybe

2012-03-16 3:09 PM

Also weigh daily, and this morning matched my all time low (except when I saw it going  the other way) I recorded last Friday.  Trying to be good today and tomorrow to take the momentum thru the weekend
2012-03-17 5:47 AM

2012-03-17 7:47 AM

Payson, AZ

Not a whole lot on the main forums of BT Fred.  One little flair up over a dude complaining about people in the pool and Left Brain doing his best to call everyone an idiot in his own way.

Long ride on tap today.  Goal is to finish before the winds get too crazy out there.  They are suppose to get to dangerous levels today, then crappy weather the next two days.  Just got to deal with it. Problem is, it will cause even more things to start to bloom and right now I am not allowed to take any allergy medicine since I am seeing an allergist Thursday.  Going to be a long week for me.   

2012-03-17 3:23 PM

2012-03-17 3:29 PM

Payson, AZ

Nice Fred.  Don't forget to take it slow coming back. 

Everybody and their dog was out biking this morning in Tucson.  Not much of a chance again until Tue (between quite high winds/rain/cold but mostly the winds) so I think everyone was out.  I saw endless amounts of folks on Mt Lemmon today.  Including what must have been a Carmichael training camp group.  They were getting bottle handouts on the way up.  I tried to get one (joking of course).  Ah, yup, that was them.  http://trainright.com/events/44/ironman-challenge-camp/

2012-03-17 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4100783

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Fred D - 2012-03-17 4:23 PM First outdoor run in almost 6 weeks, felt good. Slow and still stiff and sore, but hopeful. Anyone else training?

Nice to see that!

2012-03-17 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4100788

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
bzgl40 - 2012-03-17 4:29 PM

Including what must have been a Carmichael training camp group.  They were getting bottle handouts on the way up.  I tried to get one (joking of course).  Ah, yup, that was them.  http://trainright.com/events/44/ironman-challenge-camp/

Kim, the girl I swim with attended a CTS Coaching College and was even offended a position as a coach in AZ.  She didn’t take it because her husband could not transfer his job.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's Ironman/Half-Ironman focused Mentor Group --CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 95