User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
kt65 - 2011-01-28 2:41 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-28 10:31 AM
velcromom - 2011-01-28 9:32 AM

I'm faster in the pool.  I do GREAT walls!!  Cool

The wetsuit helps, but I'm a relatively strong swimmer so I think the advantage lessens with that.  I also use the walls a lot, with a good streamline, to pick up the speed AND rest a bit, kinda like a downhill on the bike.

that, and I tend to get just a wee bit lost in OWS.

Kidnapping hubby and heading up to wine country for an overnighter.  Nice dinner, nice hotel, bringing our bikes for a Saturday spin, little wine tasting......ahhhhhh.

I'll be a new woman!!

With new boots!!!

Nice, Linda!  hey did we ever get to see a pic of those boots????  or did i miss it?  boohoo 

Similar to the one in your logs from the VT ; )

2011-01-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Those are all great swim videos.  Next week I'll be hitting the pool with the hubby and a video camera. 

All last year my ow swim times SUCKED!!!!!   It was very frustrating since I couldn't pinpoint what I was doing wrong.  I think I just fell into too lazy of a groove in open water and didn't push myself hard enough.  That is something I am hoping to improve this year.  If I'm not out of the water in 1:15 at Canada I'll kill myself!!!  (Actually, I don't care about the time. I just want to beat Trevor Kiss)
2011-01-28 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3327436

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2011-01-28 12:53 PM Those are all great swim videos.  Next week I'll be hitting the pool with the hubby and a video camera. 

All last year my ow swim times SUCKED!!!!!   It was very frustrating since I couldn't pinpoint what I was doing wrong.  I think I just fell into too lazy of a groove in open water and didn't push myself hard enough.  That is something I am hoping to improve this year.  If I'm not out of the water in 1:15 at Canada I'll kill myself!!!  (Actually, I don't care about the time. I just want to beat Trevor Kiss)

Oh, Tracy, you are too funny.  No killing oneself no matter what happens, can all of us IM'ers make a pact to that? 

My ows times sucked, sucked, sucked last year...everything slower than the year before!  Frustrating for sure.  However, my bike and run splits all improved.  I'm going to keep telling myself that it was partly because I was in better swim shape to bike and run better afterwards! 

Delusional? maybe, but it keeps me coming back for more.  I love kick sets...200 yds freestyle kick, no rest, this morning at masters kicked my a..!  Literally!  Have a great weekend, everyone. 
2011-01-28 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Speaking of swimming here is my problem.   For the past 2 weeks the pool has been very busy in the evenings and I've had to share lanes.  The problem is, the people I'm sharing with want to swim circle.  That has really messed up my workouts.  It is very hard to do timed drills and rest breaks when someone else is swimming up on you or too close in front.  I'm curious what other people do in these situations?
2011-01-28 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3327465

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2011-01-28 4:05 PM Speaking of swimming here is my problem.   For the past 2 weeks the pool has been very busy in the evenings and I've had to share lanes.  The problem is, the people I'm sharing with want to swim circle.  That has really messed up my workouts.  It is very hard to do timed drills and rest breaks when someone else is swimming up on you or too close in front.  I'm curious what other people do in these situations?

Yeah I think it's tough to do drills when circle swimming.   Rest breaks are fine though, I just move to the side.

Though I have really slacked off from swimming, I think I swim ok enough, more time for me to be made up running after biking so focusing on both of those and swimming enough to maintain.
2011-01-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3327465

User image

Master
tahrens - 2011-01-28 1:05 PM Speaking of swimming here is my problem.   For the past 2 weeks the pool has been very busy in the evenings and I've had to share lanes.  The problem is, the people I'm sharing with want to swim circle.  That has really messed up my workouts.  It is very hard to do timed drills and rest breaks when someone else is swimming up on you or too close in front.  I'm curious what other people do in these situations?

It doesn't have to impact you negatively, IMO. I end up having to circle quite frequently.  My big peeve with it is when someone who is really, truly, obviously slower than I am (read: 70-year-old granny doing breaststroke) pushes off in front of me right as I come into the wall. Grrrr. But really, you should just do your own thing and not worry too much about others (just don't push off right in front of them if they are a lot faster than you, ha ha!). If you're fast enough to pass, then pass -- just gently tap their feet once before you go around. True swimming etiquette says to tap someone's feet once and then they should pull over at the wall and let you pass. But lots of people don't know etiquette. I've also had situations where I'm passing someone and another person is coming barrelling down the middle of the lane -- I dive under them just like waves in the ocean. It's kind-of like an obstacle course, ha ha!!

Oh, and I think I'm a lazy OWSwimmer, too. If I am doing a timed set and trying to go fast, I totally check my times at the 100, 200, etc. But in the OW that's harder to do, so I have no point of reference. The buoys I swim among are about 500 yards I think, so some days I try to push it and make myself work or descend, but I'm not very good at it.

And Kim --  I think there is a ton to be said for the swim not taking as much out of you and giving you more umph for the bike and the run. That's where I tell myself I get the benefit -- I might not gain much in time during a swim because it's so short compared to the rest of the race, but I never exit the water totally taxed...

Love the swim talk!! Keep at it, peeps!!! Have a great weekend, everyone! I'm a single mom again until Tuesday. Ugh. Don't mind it at all during the week but I hate being a single parent on weekends.

2011-01-28 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
OK more swim talk.

After yesterday's 2525 yds of dwimming I had 2200 on tap today. The set was WU: 4 x 100, 4 x 50 catch up drills, 4 x 50 kick, MS: 6 x 100 with 2 sets of 3 decending, 12 x50 (with 25 hard and 25 easy), THEN 100 for time and 100 CD.

Needless to say after 4525 yds in the past 30 hours that 100 for time was NOT a record. It was somewhere btwn 1:30 and 1:35. It HURT! I could not get my googles off quick and focus so i am not sure of the exact time.

All my swims for january are done. 1 run, about 65 miles of biking and one strength session to go. I might try to get an hour of yoga in too.
2011-01-28 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3327436

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2011-01-28 1:53 PM Those are all great swim videos.  Next week I'll be hitting the pool with the hubby and a video camera. 

My plan going in, is to give you a kiss on the beach for good luck, and then kick your goggles off 100 m in. Just so I can get a bit of a head start.
Wink
2011-01-28 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

FWIW I swim circles all the time. Unless its an empty lane. maybe its a Canadian thing.

2011-01-28 4:38 PM

User image

All my ows are much slower than my pool swims.  I have never touched my pool splits in any race.   I think it's basically that when I'm in the pool training I give it everything I've got - love to push myself.  In the ows in races I am thinking about the bike and run coming up and I think I hold back. 

One of these days I'm going to let it all loose and see what happens   
2011-01-28 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I don't have a lot of input on swim techniques or anything.  I'm not the best at it!  But I will hopefully get around to watching those videos you guys posted so that I can improve. 

I swam again tonight though, and I was feeling a ton better about it!  It was sets of 200, and I was pretty comfortable with them.  Am I supposed to kind of rock back and forth while swimming?  I started doing that because I saw another swimmer doing it and kicking more slowly, and I tried that tonight, and I actually liked it.  What do you guys think?

However, I think that most of my good swim tonight was just me being TICKED at my boss so there was PLENTY of adrenaline.  Today was supposed to be my last day of work there.  Think about the worst possible thing that could happen on your last day of work...then multiple it by 1,000,000.  It was that bad.  I'm still shaking mad.

So TTT tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be more calmed down by then!  Or maybe it'll be better if I'm not.  We'll see!

2011-01-28 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3327001

User image

Master
Maryland
velcromom - 2011-01-28 12:32 PM

I'm faster in the pool.  I do GREAT walls!!  Cool

The wetsuit helps, but I'm a relatively strong swimmer so I think the advantage lessens with that.  I also use the walls a lot, with a good streamline, to pick up the speed AND rest a bit, kinda like a downhill on the bike.

that, and I tend to get just a wee bit lost in OWS.

Kidnapping hubby and heading up to wine country for an overnighter.  Nice dinner, nice hotel, bringing our bikes for a Saturday spin, little wine tasting......ahhhhhh.

I'll be a new woman!

What a perfect weekend!! Enjoy! : )

Linda

2011-01-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3326017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 8:33 PM
DougRob - 2011-01-28 11:26 AM
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-27 10:01 PM Doug & Bryce - awesome job and congrats on your swimming improvements.  wow, 1:20/100!! that's fast.  I hope to be there some day.

In the spirit of swimming improvement, I had masters swim this AM and we had a 2km swim test.  38'24" baby!!!!! by far my fastest time to date! not bad for someone who learned how to swim 1.5 years ago

On stroke correction, my coach noticed that part of the reason I'm dropping my left arm is that my breathing on my right side is delayed and I need to turn to breath sooner (somewhere around when my right hand enters the water).  I scheduled a private stroke correction session next wed. maybe he'll do video.

For more visual, here's my stroke right when I was started to learn how to swim.. be kind.. I'm still a rookie!

That is just a bit farther than a 70.3 swim, and that is an AWESOME time for that distance! Especially in January. Well done!

Thanks Doug. 

I'm happy with the progress so far, but I know that this is only pool splits.  Open water is a different ball game.  While I'm thinking of it, how much time would you add/subtract from your pool time to your open water time.  I know that there's a lot of other variables swimming open water (current, other swimmers, waves, etc.), but is there a very general rule of thumb on this?  Sort of like a HM run time vs. a HIM HM run time..  generally speaking, I've read and been told that you should add 10-15 mins to your HM run time.

Was shown this link on another forum board in BT and recommend about 40% more than pool

http://www.lanelinestoshorelines.com/multimedia/docs/t_Let_the_Pool_Cheat_You.pdf
2011-01-28 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls
WOW!  Now that I have caught up with the last 85 pages... Sorry, I have been gone for so long.  I have been sidelined a bit due to my Physical Therapist putting me on a profile (no exercising for a month).  Plus, I have been extremely busy at work.

A few things good have happened though:
1.  I am down 65lbs since last Apr (291 to 226).  This is the lightest I have been since around 2001.
2.  I am off my profile and actually enjoy running now.  I don't know if it's due to the weightloss, but it just seems easier.
3.  I have been getting in a lot of rides lately.  The weather has been excellent and the sun stays out longer.
4.  I am registered for the USAF Marathon, but I'm only doing the half.

I promise to update my logs this weekend... actually, I plan to START my logs this weekend.

I'm sorry for being a stranger and plan to be more active in the future!Embarassed

2011-01-29 2:16 AM
in reply to: #3328095

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
macfights - 2011-01-28 10:49 PM WOW!  Now that I have caught up with the last 85 pages... Sorry, I have been gone for so long.  I have been sidelined a bit due to my Physical Therapist putting me on a profile (no exercising for a month).  Plus, I have been extremely busy at work.

1.  I am down 65lbs since last Apr (291 to 226).  This is the lightest I have been since around 2001.
2.  I am off my profile and actually enjoy running now.  I don't know if it's due to the weightloss, but it just seems easier.
3.  I have been getting in a lot of rides lately.  The weather has been excellent and the sun stays out longer.

I promise to update my logs this weekend... actually, I plan to START my logs this weekend.

I'm sorry for being a stranger and plan to be more active in the future!Embarassed

Don't let this happen again!
2011-01-29 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3328136

User image

Veteran
Great videos posted! Very motivating. Just to give everyone a sense of how far I have to go with my swimming here is the video from my 1st and only Tri in July. Its the last lap of the swim(did all 800m with the technique in the vid lol) and my transition to the bike. Enjoy the comedy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx4mO8pJrA

2011-01-29 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
macfights - 2011-01-28 11:49 PM WOW!  Now that I have caught up with the last 85 pages... Sorry, I have been gone for so long.  I have been sidelined a bit due to my Physical Therapist putting me on a profile (no exercising for a month).  Plus, I have been extremely busy at work.

WOW!  Great Job!  and welcome back.
2011-01-29 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
macfights - 2011-01-28 10:49 PM WOW!  Now that I have caught up with the last 85 pages... Sorry, I have been gone for so long.  I have been sidelined a bit due to my Physical Therapist putting me on a profile (no exercising for a month).  Plus, I have been extremely busy at work.

4.  I am registered for the USAF Marathon, but I'm only doing the half I am doing the USAF half marathon and I am super excited!!!

There, I fixed that for you.  Don't ever minimize a half marathon again.  They are a great achievement and a terrific way to build endurance.  Welcome back and I agree with Barry.  If you stay away too long again we'll hunt you down and make you run that half in your wetsuit!
2011-01-29 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hi Gang.....

13+ hours later we made it to Kauai.  Way too early to tell what the day will bring, but the ocean sounds awesome and the temps are warm, already 68F and it's only 6am.

Enjoy the weekend!
2011-01-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3328331

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls
SSMinnow - 2011-01-29 9:53 AM

4.  I am registered for the USAF Marathon, but I'm only doing the half I am doing the USAF half marathon and I am super excited!!!

There, I fixed that for you.  Don't ever minimize a half marathon again.  They are a great achievement and a terrific way to build endurance.  Welcome back and I agree with Barry.  If you stay away too long again we'll hunt you down and make you run that half in your wetsuit!

HAHA!   MY BAD!  Foot in mouth

Got in a quick 2 miler this morning before my son's hockey practice.  I will probably do a mtn bike ride this afternoon. 
2011-01-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3328192

User image

GrapeJuice - 2011-01-29 7:49 AM Great videos posted! Very motivating. Just to give everyone a sense of how far I have to go with my swimming here is the video from my 1st and only Tri in July. Its the last lap of the swim(did all 800m with the technique in the vid lol) and my transition to the bike. Enjoy the comedy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx4mO8pJrA

Awesome attitude! Thanks for sharing this. It'll be fun to see your progress this season! 

2011-01-29 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3328192

User image

Burleson
Great job on your first Tri Grapejuice.  Hope I have a much fun on my first one in March.
2011-01-29 4:22 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
We just hooked ourselves on Skype. I know we are behind the times. But very cool. Girls chatted with their cousins they met at Disneyland.
2011-01-29 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Awesome job Grapejuice! 
2011-01-29 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Mind if I jump on the sharing-swim-videos bandwagon?  Got the hubs to get a few laps of me this morning.  Please excuse his banter and the hoards of people lapping me.  I'vebeen talking with a local swim coach but I'd love to hear thoughts or comments from the MG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7tdJ5dXHo

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171