Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPENr

Hi, all.  Really solid week shaping up so far.  Yesterday got in 2K in the pool and 75' tempo intervals on the bike, and this morning was a tempo run followed by 45 minutes of lower body strength and core training.  Flip-flopping my two longer rides seemed to work as I was able to hold a mile @ 8:30 pace, though my HR was a bit high and it was creeping towards zone 5.  We'll see how VO2 max goes on the bike tomorrow on day-after-legs-day legs. 

@Gretchen:  so glad it's nothing serious and a smart move to bail on the marathon; like Andrew said you probably got the fitness bump you were looking for; I'd keep doing some of that aqua-jogging to supplement as you build back up your run, and also glad you're going to see a PT - mine has done wonders for me even if they are mean to me there 

@Nathalie:  while headlamp running sounds like something I would have found fun in my 20s there's no way in hell this uncoordinated old guy would try that;  glad you got in your hill run

@Andrew:  committing to the event is half the battle - onward!!!

2024-02-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPENr
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie:  while headlamp running sounds like something I would have found fun in my 20s there's no way in hell this uncoordinated old guy would try that;  glad you got in your hill run

My thoughts exactly except replace old guy with old gal and I would not have thought it was fun when I was young either

You’re on a roll! Seem to have settled into a nice routine here!
2024-02-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Great news Gretchen! I hope you do rest the extra few days until the pain has all gone, as the doc recommended. A few more days of aqua jogging will be worth it!

Andrew, sorry about that last ball defeat. I like games like that, exciting, but only when my team wins at the end of course. Talking of teams, big game tonight, my Lakers are playing the current leaders. If we win this, we take back our lead (and hopefully keep it till the end of the regular season. Doesn’t mean we would automatically win the playoffs of course, but that would be nice to have home advantage all the way)

Didn’t want to run with my group last night as they were venturing out on narrow, tricky trails in the forest at night with a headlamp. Not interested.
Instead I did some hills repeats on a safe surface on my own, which I was quite pleased about.

Couldn’t sort out some floorball this weekend but I have booked next weekend, it is happening! Yeah!

Yes, having the game decided in the final moment is exciting. It's more fun when your team comes out on top though Hopefully your lakers did. And hopefully we do in game 2 of the series tonight... it's all a warm up for the test match series (5 day games) starting next week though, can't wait.
2024-02-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike. Like Nat says, you're rolling along nicely now. Glad to hear that re arranging the schedule looks like it's helped out. Best of luck for your Vo2max workout. They can suck at the best of times.

@Nat, blasting up and down dark trails in the dark in winter sounds like 100% chance of ankle injury. And, we've had enough injuries round here for now. I'm another who would me much more comfortable sticking to the road.

@Me, had a very easy 30 minute recovery spin, and a stretchy foam rolly session last night. This morning was up early (almost slept through all my alarms and missed it) to do my 'longish' run for the week. We're off to the beach tonight to help out my dad with some maintenance jobs down there. So weekend long run got changed to midweek long run. Thankfully I'm on a cutback week so was only looking for 80-90 minutes. Job done, although I am now very sleepy and not super productive at work :/

Have a good weekend everyone.
2024-02-22 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Me, had a very easy 30 minute recovery spin, and a stretchy foam rolly session last night. This morning was up early (almost slept through all my alarms and missed it) to do my 'longish' run for the week. We're off to the beach tonight to help out my dad with some maintenance jobs down there. So weekend long run got changed to midweek long run. Thankfully I'm on a cutback week so was only looking for 80-90 minutes. Job done, although I am now very sleepy and not super productive at work :/

Have a good weekend everyone.

Way to wake up and get your long run in. Nice to have it done. Now you can enjoy those shorter runs this weekend
2024-02-22 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Mike - Good luck with your VO2 Max ride. If you already did it - how’d it go?

2024-02-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #5287983

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Early morning 90’ interval ride with my new fit. Maybe it is just in my mind, but it felt easier to hold my wattage targets than last week (which also could be increased fitness too). It was certainly more comfortable. Lunchtime brought about an hour of strength training and 40’ of aqua jogging.

Still no pain this week. I’m eagerly awaiting Saturday, when I plan to go for a walk. Starting slow…no reinjury whammy!
2024-02-23 6:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Great news Gretchen! I hope you do rest the extra few days until the pain has all gone, as the doc recommended. A few more days of aqua jogging will be worth it!

Andrew, sorry about that last ball defeat. I like games like that, exciting, but only when my team wins at the end of course. Talking of teams, big game tonight, my Lakers are playing the current leaders. If we win this, we take back our lead (and hopefully keep it till the end of the regular season. Doesn’t mean we would automatically win the playoffs of course, but that would be nice to have home advantage all the way)

Didn’t want to run with my group last night as they were venturing out on narrow, tricky trails in the forest at night with a headlamp. Not interested.
Instead I did some hills repeats on a safe surface on my own, which I was quite pleased about.

Couldn’t sort out some floorball this weekend but I have booked next weekend, it is happening! Yeah!

Yes, having the game decided in the final moment is exciting. It's more fun when your team comes out on top though Hopefully your lakers did. And hopefully we do in game 2 of the series tonight... it's all a warm up for the test match series (5 day games) starting next week though, can't wait.

no, we lost in a penalty shoot out. Great game though,Very exciting from start to end.

2024-02-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by drfoodlove Early morning 90’ interval ride with my new fit. Maybe it is just in my mind, but it felt easier to hold my wattage targets than last week (which also could be increased fitness too). It was certainly more comfortable. Lunchtime brought about an hour of strength training and 40’ of aqua jogging. Still no pain this week. I’m eagerly awaiting Saturday, when I plan to go for a walk. Starting slow…no reinjury whammy!

Probably a little bit of everything...better fit, placebo effect, better fitness. 

2024-02-23 8:51 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a ride this morning, and have been keeping up with my neck and back stretches (I think I did them 3 times yesterday). It feels significantly better today than it did yesterday.

Nicole:The PT gods reward those who do their stretches and I’m glad your back is feeling significantly better! That’s awesome and welcomed news. And when we are talking about a ride - is that a ride on the drainer or were you at the gym or on the peloton. It’s been awhile so let me know. If I had felt better yesterday, I might have gone for a ride outside it was so warm. I can’t think the heatwave lasted til this morning so I’m gonna guess you rode your drainer. I’d rather head out in the freezing snow than ride the trainer. Nice work!

It's actually just on the Peloton, but I love the classes and know that I'm way more likely to do them on the Peloton than to do a ride on a trainer. I also feel like it sets me up really well for running, which I need to get back into very badly.
2024-02-23 8:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300yds in the pool...followed by another 45' in the pool aqua jogging! OMG is that boring!! I do have waterproof headphones, so I've been taking them and listening to my book (West with Giraffes), but it is so boring--nothing to look at but other swimmers who may or may not look like they are drowning. Later tonight I'll do a 1:15 Z1 recovery ride (although I'm not sure what I'm recovering from...without surface running things feel too easy!). MRI scheduled for Friday morning and follow up appointment with doc is next Wednesday.

Just think, Gretchen...those swimmers who don't know what they're doing are wondering what in the hell that crazy lady is doing going nowhere in the deep end of the pool. 

Wait, you aqua jog in the shallow end? I always did it in the deep end, so you're basically doing a running motion but not touching the ground

2024-02-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2300yds in the pool...followed by another 45' in the pool aqua jogging! OMG is that boring!! I do have waterproof headphones, so I've been taking them and listening to my book (West with Giraffes), but it is so boring--nothing to look at but other swimmers who may or may not look like they are drowning. Later tonight I'll do a 1:15 Z1 recovery ride (although I'm not sure what I'm recovering from...without surface running things feel too easy!). MRI scheduled for Friday morning and follow up appointment with doc is next Wednesday.

Just think, Gretchen...those swimmers who don't know what they're doing are wondering what in the hell that crazy lady is doing going nowhere in the deep end of the pool. 

Wait, you aqua jog in the shallow end? I always did it in the deep end, so you're basically doing a running motion but not touching the ground

Disregard, I totally misread Mike's message
2024-02-23 9:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, great news from the doc!! What an amazing relief! And getting a run test done will be great.
Also, smart to adjust your plan. Giving yourself more time to build up from your rest period sounds like the right way to go.

DQ, LOVE that car color! Congrats on the new car! I think I like TriGuy the best!
Glad to see you posting consistently, and hope your walks are going well! I know your goal is 1.5 lbs per week, but still celebrate that half pound loss! The scale isn't always the best indicator of change. Recognizing where you may have gone wrong (the cottage cheese) is good though, and could keep you from doing that moving forward. Cottage Cheese is a great snack though! It's actually been my breakfast the last couple weeks so I get some early morning protein.

Mike and Andrew, looks like your training plan is going solidly! Great work on the consistency!

Nat, the fact that you are waiting for the ice to melt makes me cold, b/c I know you won't wait long enough for it to really heat up! Love that you do these swims though. and I love me some floor hockey! I miss the days of street hockey too. My neighbors and I would get on our rollerblades and skate around for hours. Those were the days.
2024-02-23 9:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sorry I've been so inconsistent with posting. I've been inconsistent with exercising as well, though still getting in a few workouts a week. I leave for Miami on Sunday and the cruise leaves Monday so I'm looking forward to having a really active week. The guy I'm going with is really into fitness so think we will both be moving A LOT. I'm also solidly down a few lbs (about 7 from New Years) and feeling pretty good there, though I still feel like I have a ways to go to get where I want to be.

Mike, I haven't signed up yet but think I will #dothedouble again at Rock Hall! I really enjoyed that challenge last year and think I can improve my times now that I've done it once and know what to expect. I also have the Seneca 7 in April (a long relay where we have a team of 7 people who run 77.7 miles around Seneca Lake in NY). This is why I really need to start running again!

I really love to see all this activity and really appreciate you all for sharing your journeys and letting me share mine. <3
2024-02-23 10:00 AM

User image

Expert

DQ, LOVE that car color! Congrats on the new car! I think I like TriGuy the best!
Glad to see you posting consistently, and hope your walks are going well! I know your goal is 1.5 lbs per week, but still celebrate that half pound loss! The scale isn't always the best indicator of change. Recognizing where you may have gone wrong (the cottage cheese) is good though, and could keep you from doing that moving forward. Cottage Cheese is a great snack though! It's actually been my breakfast the last couple weeks so I get some early morning protein.

Nicole - I picked up “Joy” that’s what I’m calling the new mini - last night and she definitely earned her name. She makes me joyful. This morning I listened to Beethoven and the Harman karden sound system made it sound like the entire orchestra was in my mini. So I love it. I agree that try guy is a strong name and I’m hoping to get it to one of the things it’s on my list to do today as I wait for my new car to get registered with Uber

My problem Nicole is consistency. I am not being consistent about getting my walk sent and that is largely because I feel so bad in the afternoon. But I need to get out there and get it done because if I’m going to feel better, I need to start walking so I just got a push myself harder and walk through the nausea. I just don’t know how yet. I don’t know what you all think about this but perhaps pot might help. The problem is is the pot makes me want to lie down and hang out on my couch even if it does help me immensely with my nausea, so I have to figure out a way of using it without it knocking out my desire to work out. I think I also need to come up with an incentive for myself, something more tangible and in the now then I’m going to feel better, because who knows when that’s gonna happen.

Well, towards that end, I’m gonna promise you that I’m gonna get out for at least a 20 minute walk today. I promise I’ll report back in when I’m done. Hope y’all have a good day.
2024-02-23 10:00 AM

User image

Expert

Nicole - I picked up “Joy” that’s what I’m calling the new mini - last night and she definitely earned her name. She makes me joyful. This morning I listened to Beethoven and the Harman karden sound system made it sound like the entire orchestra was in my mini. So I love it. I agree that try guy is a strong name and I’m hoping to get it to one of the things it’s on my list to do today as I wait for my new car to get registered with Uber

My problem Nicole is consistency. I am not being consistent about getting my walk sent and that is largely because I feel so bad in the afternoon. But I need to get out there and get it done because if I’m going to feel better, I need to start walking so I just got a push myself harder and walk through the nausea. I just don’t know how yet. I don’t know what you all think about this but perhaps pot might help. The problem is is the pot makes me want to lie down and hang out on my couch even if it does help me immensely with my nausea, so I have to figure out a way of using it without it knocking out my desire to work out. I think I also need to come up with an incentive for myself, something more tangible and in the now then I’m going to feel better, because who knows when that’s gonna happen.

Well, towards that end, I’m gonna promise you that I’m gonna get out for at least a 20 minute walk today. I promise I’ll report back in when I’m done. Hope y’all have a good day.

2024-02-23 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e  Mike, I haven't signed up yet but think I will #dothedouble again at Rock Hall! I really enjoyed that challenge last year and think I can improve my times now that I've done it once and know what to expect. 

Gauntlet thrown, challenge on for Sunday sprint (both me and my daughter are in it).  I'm also doing Diamond in the Rough (the sprint, not that nutty bike course Oly), and Baltimore Tri as a relay (assuming they have it - haven't seen anything yet).

2024-02-23 10:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

DQ--a trick to stop nausea is to sniff rubbing alcohol when you get nauseous. I have no idea why it works, but it does. You can use those little wipes that come in individual packets or just a plain old bottle of rubbing alcohol. Are you always nauseous, or just in the afternoons? Or just after eating? You might could try getting in your workout earlier in the day--before work or at lunch--before the nausea sets in (which obviously doesn't solve the fact that you are nauseous!)
2024-02-23 10:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2550yds in the pool (counting is HARD!) with masters and then 20' minutes of aqua jogging. Since I've been cleared to start thinking about returning to running, I did these 20' in water about shoulder deep and touched the floor, using a somewhat slow/exaggerted running motion. I wanted to get some of that push off activity going with my foot and see how the leg is doing. I on'y did 20'! I was restrained! My now-defunct frankinplan called for 2 hours of running, so at least I didn't do that!

2024-02-23 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Mike - Good luck with your VO2 Max ride. If you already did it - how’d it go?

Just finished, and by "finished" I mean got through 2.5 of the 4 intervals, which was already trimmed down from 6 because of scheduling.  I cracked completely on the third one and was just done so called it a ride with a cool down.  It's clear 4 hard days in a row doesn't fly with me.  Looking back even 10 years ago at my logs, I struggled with bike intensity while focusing on running.  What's that about that definition of insanity?? 

2024-02-23 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

As mentioned above, crash and burn effort on VO2 max on the bike at lunch, but my swim and strength session this morning went fine (1800y).  Still happy with the day overall and this week's progess.  I have one more week of this phase then a recovery week with some fitness tests (bike race, one-mile run, and a couple of swim TTs). 

2024-02-23 12:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e  Mike, I haven't signed up yet but think I will #dothedouble again at Rock Hall! I really enjoyed that challenge last year and think I can improve my times now that I've done it once and know what to expect. 

Gauntlet thrown, challenge on for Sunday sprint (both me and my daughter are in it).  I'm also doing Diamond in the Rough (the sprint, not that nutty bike course Oly), and Baltimore Tri as a relay (assuming they have it - haven't seen anything yet).

Niiiiiice! Battle of the BDASers!!!!!
2024-02-23 12:26 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

DQ--a trick to stop nausea is to sniff rubbing alcohol when you get nauseous. I have no idea why it works, but it does. You can use those little wipes that come in individual packets or just a plain old bottle of rubbing alcohol. Are you always nauseous, or just in the afternoons? Or just after eating? You might could try getting in your workout earlier in the day--before work or at lunch--before the nausea sets in (which obviously doesn't solve the fact that you are nauseous!)

Interesting! I'd never heard that about rubbing alcohol. Those are all really great suggestions though, Gretchen!

If that doesn't work and you decide to go the pot route: you are still in Mass, right? Recreational use is legal there. I have been experimenting with this lately (it's legal here also) and really enjoy edibles. What's nice, is you can get different kinds. Some might mellow you out, but others actually give you more energy (Sativa or a hybrid for example). You can also experiment with how much might be needed in order to get the relief to your nausea without having as much impact on your body/brain (I get super forgetful with too much and can't keep track of a conversation). You can start with just 2 mg, give it some time to kick in, and if you don't feel anything, try another 2 mg (if you have a 10mg gummy for example, just take nibbles of it every hour or 2). I'm sure the budtenders could also help you identify things that could help with nausea specifically.

All that is to say, if rubbing alcohol works, that is the obvious choice!!
2024-02-23 1:18 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I think I can speak for the entirety of BDAS when I say...we're gonna need pics of this!!
2024-02-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I think I can speak for the entirety of BDAS when I say...we're gonna need pics of this!!

Oh yes!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-02-25 5:11 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland