Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-24 6:11 PM
in reply to: #5287993

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Good Saturday here—started the morning with a ramp test. FTP is up 11% from the end of the season last year, so I’m pretty stoked about that. A bit later I went to the pool and did 2400yds of essentially sprints. It was a brutal practice where I managed to swim three 100yd PRs in a row (without barfing!).

The rest of the weekend is rest.

2024-02-25 6:18 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Nicole:  not sure if you got the email but REV3 took over The Baltimore Triathlon.  I've never done one of their races but I've heard really good things (they used to be all over the East Coast but now are centered on races on the Eastern Shore of MD). 

2024-02-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Question for the group (or maybe just Gretchen):  I'm putting together my race wheels (Flo 64/77 for front, not sure yet, and a custom built Flo90/Powertap combo for the rear).  I need valve extenders apparently.  Any of you use them and could recommend one?  I'd hate to crawl into my bike guy's shop for just that.  LOL

2024-02-25 7:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  not sure if you got the email but REV3 took over The Baltimore Triathlon.  I've never done one of their races but I've heard really good things (they used to be all over the East Coast but now are centered on races on the Eastern Shore of MD). 

I hadn't heard! I should be able to go this year, as it's going to be after Ocean's Calling but before my friend's wedding on the 11th. Will likely sign up and definitely interested to see what differences this new group comes up with!
2024-02-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by nicole14e  Mike, I haven't signed up yet but think I will #dothedouble again at Rock Hall! I really enjoyed that challenge last year and think I can improve my times now that I've done it once and know what to expect. 

Gauntlet thrown, challenge on for Sunday sprint (both me and my daughter are in it).  I'm also doing Diamond in the Rough (the sprint, not that nutty bike course Oly), and Baltimore Tri as a relay (assuming they have it - haven't seen anything yet).

Niiiiiice! Battle of the BDASers!!!!!

I think I can speak for the entirety of BDAS when I say...we're gonna need pics of this!!

Oh yes!

Pics will happen!
2024-02-25 7:46 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
This weekend got away with me, with all the packing and prepping for this trip. I have been working since 7 this morning to try to get some stuff out the door and not wake up in a cold sweat thinking of something I didn't get to.

That being said, I am beyond excited and in just 3 hours I will be en route to the airport. So excited! Will check in with you all when I'm back!

2024-02-25 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by nicole14e  Mike, I haven't signed up yet but think I will #dothedouble again at Rock Hall! I really enjoyed that challenge last year and think I can improve my times now that I've done it once and know what to expect. 

Gauntlet thrown, challenge on for Sunday sprint (both me and my daughter are in it).  I'm also doing Diamond in the Rough (the sprint, not that nutty bike course Oly), and Baltimore Tri as a relay (assuming they have it - haven't seen anything yet).

Niiiiiice! Battle of the BDASers!!!!!

I think I can speak for the entirety of BDAS when I say...we're gonna need pics of this!!

Yup, you're definitely speaking for 100% of us.
2024-02-25 2:39 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

My problem Nicole is consistency. I am not being consistent about getting my walk sent and that is largely because I feel so bad in the afternoon. But I need to get out there and get it done because if I’m going to feel better, I need to start walking so I just got a push myself harder and walk through the nausea. I just don’t know how yet. I don’t know what you all think about this but perhaps pot might help. The problem is is the pot makes me want to lie down and hang out on my couch even if it does help me immensely with my nausea, so I have to figure out a way of using it without it knocking out my desire to work out. I think I also need to come up with an incentive for myself, something more tangible and in the now then I’m going to feel better, because who knows when that’s gonna happen.

Well, towards that end, I’m gonna promise you that I’m gonna get out for at least a 20 minute walk today. I promise I’ll report back in when I’m done. Hope y’all have a good day.

I've got no knowledge of whether pot may or may not help so not going to comment on that part, but like Gretchen asked, is your nausea only in the afternoon? It's a simple solution here, get up half an hour early and get that walk in first thing before breakfast, before your brain has the chance to talk you out of it. Channel your inner Dave Goggins, get up and do the work while the world sleeps. Take some souls.

What does your morning routine look like? I'm sure we can find some time in there to get some work done. That way, in the afternoon when you're struggling and not feeling it, you don't need to stress, the work is already done.

I know exactly how you feel once you've sat down in the afternoon struggling to get back up and get going again. Do it early and that problem goes away.

I know you like a challenge... I challenge you to 21 days of pre breakfast workouts. Failure is a coors lite (without something decent to wash it down) Make it through 21 days and the habit is formed, it gets easier.
2024-02-25 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Question for the group (or maybe just Gretchen):  I'm putting together my race wheels (Flo 64/77 for front, not sure yet, and a custom built Flo90/Powertap combo for the rear).  I need valve extenders apparently.  Any of you use them and could recommend one?  I'd hate to crawl into my bike guy's shop for just that.  LOL

I've never had a wheelset where valve extenders would be needed not jealous at all.

But, if you're getting the rear wheel custom made, wouldn't it make sense to ask your wheel builder?

Still not jealous :/
2024-02-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole. Enjoy the cruise. Hope you get some active time when away. But most importantly have a blast.

@Gretchen. Congrats on the 11% FTP increase. But man, that must make your upcoming bike workouts look intimidating. Still, it's nice to see all your training turn into measurable gains and improvements. Best of luck for your Monday return to running. Remember nice and easy, and short. The franken plan is gone just test it out and if anything is at all questionable, stop.

@Mike. 4 days hard in a row is nasty. At any age. Maybe you could try and do some really really hard days (hard bike and run same day) and then a really easy day as a bit of a midweek recovery? Still, you're ticking along nicely, it may not all be perfect but the consistency is clearly there and your getting faster and stronger.

@Nat. We also lost... Friday and Sunday. I don't want to talk about it.

Me,

Busy/Productive weekend doing jobs down at the bach. Not so great training. Long story short we got all our jobs done, but I took an unscheduled rest day Saturday. No interest in heading out for hill repeats after moving that much soil. I did enjoy some very nice Emersons Pilsners though. Sunday I did an easy half hour on the treadmill once we got home.

For the week I got 5 and a half hours total of SBR. Smallest week for a while but that's what cutback weeks are for I guess.
Swim, Nada
Bike, x2, 1hr 30min all zwift
Run, x5, 4hr, 31km
S/M, x2 stretchy sessions. 22 minutes

Started the week with an hour run this morning. 6x4' "Critical Velocity" intervals. Got it done, but definitely struggled through the last couple of intervals.

Onward.
2024-02-26 12:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

My problem Nicole is consistency. I am not being consistent about getting my walk sent and that is largely because I feel so bad in the afternoon. But I need to get out there and get it done because if I’m going to feel better, I need to start walking so I just got a push myself harder and walk through the nausea. I just don’t know how yet. I don’t know what you all think about this but perhaps pot might help. The problem is is the pot makes me want to lie down and hang out on my couch even if it does help me immensely with my nausea, so I have to figure out a way of using it without it knocking out my desire to work out. I think I also need to come up with an incentive for myself, something more tangible and in the now then I’m going to feel better, because who knows when that’s gonna happen.

Well, towards that end, I’m gonna promise you that I’m gonna get out for at least a 20 minute walk today. I promise I’ll report back in when I’m done. Hope y’all have a good day.

I've got no knowledge of whether pot may or may not help so not going to comment on that part, but like Gretchen asked, is your nausea only in the afternoon? It's a simple solution here, get up half an hour early and get that walk in first thing before breakfast, before your brain has the chance to talk you out of it. Channel your inner Dave Goggins, get up and do the work while the world sleeps. Take some souls.

What does your morning routine look like? I'm sure we can find some time in there to get some work done. That way, in the afternoon when you're struggling and not feeling it, you don't need to stress, the work is already done.

I know exactly how you feel once you've sat down in the afternoon struggling to get back up and get going again. Do it early and that problem goes away.

I know you like a challenge... I challenge you to 21 days of pre breakfast workouts. Failure is a coors lite (without something decent to wash it down) Make it through 21 days and the habit is formed, it gets easier.

Great advice!

2024-02-26 12:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Good Saturday here—started the morning with a ramp test. FTP is up 11% from the end of the season last year, so I’m pretty stoked about that.

The rest of the weekend is rest.

Wow, that’s impressive!
2024-02-26 1:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OP
4 hard days in a row is pushing it a little Mike. I’m not even sure pros do that. (Although they probably do.)

Nice week Andrew, just add moving soil in the S/M column, I would

Have a nice trip Nicole!

No training with my groups last week other than the group strength class but I managed well on my own, running hills repeats and doing a shorter ZWIFT Session. Went for my first bike ride outside on Saturday still on mountain bike because the roads are not cleaned from the salt and sand they put there when it snows.

Weekly totals
S = 0
B = 27k + some zwift k’s 2:17 hours
R= 21.7k 2:48 hours
S/M one hour plus some at the bottom of the hills during my hills repeat session

So over 6 hours, first time in a while, Spring is coming.

This week is a full week with 3 group trainings, long run, long ride and floorball.

Oh and the Lakers, not satisfied with having lost on Thursday, also lost in Saturday. So instead of looking up, aiming for first place, we are worriedly looking behind at the 3rd and 4th teams who are getting unnervingly closer….

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-02-26 9:51 AM
2024-02-26 11:43 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OP
Fun day so far...morning masters swim practice with 2400yds of pretty fast, building stuff and then an hour of strength training. Swim was good, but I really recognized how much my suit, which is about two sizes too big (ordering error? trying on error? mixed up the suits after I tried them on and returned the wrong one?--I have no idea how I ended up with a suit this much too big) DRAGS. On Saturday I swam in a new tri top to check how it did while swimming and was so much faster (like 10-12" per 100 faster). Oh well!! Until that suit disintegrates or falls off my body, I'm not spending money on a new one. We'll just call it drag training and appreciate the gains when I wear something that fits and doesn't scoop water like Moby Dick!

The weather outside is gorgeous (mid 70s and sunny). I'm excited to get to do my first run back after injury this afternoon. I'll be taking it slow. It is a 40' Z1 run, so I'm thinking perhaps to run half and then walk the last half, but we'll see what happens when I get out on the road. A wise woman would go run on the soft track, but I'm not wise and sunshine in February has the same allure as puppies in a white panel van.
2024-02-26 11:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I've never had a wheelset where valve extenders would be needed not jealous at all.

But, if you're getting the rear wheel custom made, wouldn't it make sense to ask your wheel builder?

Still not jealous :/

Sorry, Mike. I have no idea, really. Are you still running tubes? I would think if you were tubeless, it wouldn't matter what size your valve stem was--just sticks out the inner part of the wheel. If you are running tubes, you just buy the long stem tubes (I forget the measurement, but they come in different sizes)

I'm with Andrew--ask the person making your wheels! (unless that is you...and then you're sol...apparently).
2024-02-26 11:51 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I don't know anything about pot either...but I wonder if smoking anything is really a benefit to endurance training. I'd start with Nicole's advice for the edibles first if you plan to go that route.

Something else to consider is whether consuming pot products (smoke, edibles, whatever) will prevent you from getting the surgery you need to fix your sleep apnea. I've had four surgeries in the last few years and for each one they tested me for substances that could inhibit healing, pot being one of them. If you do use pot, it may affect your ability to have surgery until it flushes from your system, which can be a while. Recreational use is legal in Illinois, so this is strictly a medical thing, not an overbearing socially obtuse invasion of privacy thing. Just food for thought.

2024-02-26 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

The weather outside is gorgeous (mid 70s and sunny). I'm excited to get to do my first run back after injury this afternoon. I'll be taking it slow. It is a 40' Z1 run, so I'm thinking perhaps to run half and then walk the last half, but we'll see what happens when I get out on the road. A wise woman would go run on the soft track, but I'm not wise and sunshine in February has the same allure as puppies in a white panel van.

Good luck for the first run back. Always a bit of a nervous affair after an injury. Nice and easy.

Easy run for me too this morning. 48 minutes of Z2 with the dog. I also did a short bodyweight 'microworkout' Not expecting to make any gains from 10 pushups, squats and lunges once off. But hoping to start a habit of a short early morning session. If I can, 5-6 times a week will start to make some gains.
2024-02-26 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I don't know anything about pot either...but I wonder if smoking anything is really a benefit to endurance training. I'd start with Nicole's advice for the edibles first if you plan to go that route.

Something else to consider is whether consuming pot products (smoke, edibles, whatever) will prevent you from getting the surgery you need to fix your sleep apnea. I've had four surgeries in the last few years and for each one they tested me for substances that could inhibit healing, pot being one of them. If you do use pot, it may affect your ability to have surgery until it flushes from your system, which can be a while. Recreational use is legal in Illinois, so this is strictly a medical thing, not an overbearing socially obtuse invasion of privacy thing. Just food for thought.

Interestingly, I have read a few articles claiming that pot can improve endurance performance. Mainly seems to be amongst trail runners, who as we know are all hippies, so I'm unsure if any of the claimed improvements are real or if they just enjoy the pot and want to justify it.

Not promoting anything either way, just found it interesting.

Example: https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation/the-health-benefits-of-runni...

In your case DQ, Gretchen raises a very good point about could it affect your surgery. I've got no idea, but you should run things past your surgeon, or at least a relevant medical professional to get things clarified either way.
2024-02-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice, (very) slow Z1 run in the sun. Gorgeous afternoon to put a little pain free work in. So happy to report the leg put up no arguments about running.
2024-02-27 2:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nice, (very) slow Z1 run in the sun. Gorgeous afternoon to put a little pain free work in. So happy to report the leg put up no arguments about running.

yeah!!!
2024-02-27 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice, (very) slow Z1 run in the sun. Gorgeous afternoon to put a little pain free work in. So happy to report the leg put up no arguments about running.
yeah!!!

What Nathalie said! 

2024-02-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: #5288036

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
On hour Z2 ride this morning with new FTP. It didn’t suck. I thought it might, given big increase, but it didn’t. That’s it for me today. I have a PhD student denfending her dissertation today, so it is a busy one for me. Always good to see the chicks leave the nest and fly on their own.
2024-02-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Nice job. Great relief all around

On hour Z2 ride this morning with new FTP. It didn’t suck. I thought it might, given big increase, but it didn’t. That’s it for me today. I have a PhD student denfending her dissertation today, so it is a busy one for me. Always good to see the chicks leave the nest and fly on their own.

Good news that the ride was good. Although, 1 hour Z2 isn't much of a challenge. The real test will be getting into some higher zone stuff. Positive start though

Edited by bulfrog 2024-02-27 1:10 PM
2024-02-27 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Got a lunchtime swim yesterday. Only short and sweet, 750m and 20min in the pool. But felt much, much better than my swim earlier in the month. So that's a positive.

Same morning today as yesterday, a 5 minute bodyweight microworkout, (pushups, deadbugs, plank and calf raise today) and an easy 45min Z2 run with the dog.

Hope everyone is keeping up the good work
2024-02-27 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Busy around here, huh?  Great news on the leg, Gretchen, and nice you got to enjoy a super easy run in the early spring weather.  We got a little warm today but my workout was at 6 AM so alas, it was on Satan's Sidewalk (@Andrew, my girls here loved that term ).  3.5 miles with 5 x 1' @ R pace as the main set.  Also did a short bike ride with a couple of anaerobic intervals beforehand, and then strength training and planks afterwards.  So a BDAS triple.  Over the weekend I aggravated my back (getting in and out of savasna - the rest period - of all things) in Bikram on Saturday so my long run Sunday was a no-go.  Felt like 90% this morning and didn't prevent me from anything (though a little tender afterwards) so onward.  Endurance day (swim/bike) tomorrow as I continue to experiment with managing intensity work across the calendar. 

Looks like I'll be calling up Flo Cycling for recommendations on my tubes - no Gretchen I'm still 2008 with my tire setup.  I'm not sure a Flo 90 is tubeless-ready though the newer 64/77 series is.  Seems like a lot of work and a change curve I'm not quite ready for. 

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland