Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-03-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nice 1600yd swim this morning at Masters. Nothing special, but It got done. This evening I have a TeamUSA townhall meeting (on Zoom), so I'll do my 60' Z2 foundation ride during that. I find these meetings so very useless for the most part, but there is usually at least one five minute segment that gives me some pertinent information that I don't feel like I can skip them. At least if I do my ride while I'm listening to the meeting, it isn't wasted time.

I have a question for those of you who train with a club. Our club starts warmups at 6:00 (when the pool opens) and we warm up on our own until 6:08. Then, there is a warmup with the team as part of the coached workout. Lately, folks have been starting to drift into the pool area between 6 and 6:08, forgoing the warm up on your own time. This is totally fine with me--I don't care if you warm up or not. I need to warm up, or I'll be lead arms when the official practice starts. As these folks come onto the deck, the coach tries to reorganize the lanes to fit them into their respective speed categories (we have 3 groups spread over about 8 lanes, most of the time). She will stop people who are warming up to have them move lanes to accommodate the "late-comers". I'm annoyed by this...like, so completely irritated when my warmup gets interrupted to move lanes to make room for someone who came in late (especially if the person I had to move to make room for then doesn't get into the pool until after the warmup period is over). My thinking is that if you aren't on the deck at 6, you've made the conscious choice to forego the warmup on your own period and we should have one reorganization of the lanes at the end of that period. I've been thinking of saying something to the coach to this effect, but I'm also wondering if this is just something that happens at every club and I need to get used to it. It didn't happen when we had our previous coach and I know others in our group are annoyed by the late comers too. What say you? Over reacting? Being too type-A?

2024-03-06 8:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Forgot to mention---yesterday was my gait analysis. I now know officially what I've known for years...I'm a terrible runner. :D. So many things to work on, including quad strength, ankle flexibility, core strength, increasing cadence, decreasing stride length to avoid heel strike, and my personal favorite--not crossing over the midline on landing. I believe her actual words were, you're not taking a sobriety test, you don't have to plant your feet on the midline each time. I thought that was funny. She also said I need to learn to keep my arms tucked in, which is something I've been working on this season (after seeing a race photo from last year where I looked like I was headed off on the fellowship with Frodo. Obviously, I won't try to change all of these things at once, but gradually over time.
2024-03-06 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole, Welcome back to real life after your cruise. Nice that you had a good time. A 7 hour drive away? Ouch, that's close to as far as it's possible for me to drive in this country. Good luck working out, whatever you 2 end up working out. Wishing nothing but the best.
Now, no more cruises, time to hit the SBR hard.

@Mike, Trust that the cutback week is going well, and your little bout of illness has passed.

@Gretchen, Sorry I don't swim with a club/squad so no real experience to add. The gait analysis stuff is interesting, did you get any advice about what issues you should focus on first? Or how to go about it? I've got extremely flat feet, so shudder to think what they would say about me. I know one thing I do is the 'sobriety test' landing feet on the midline is something I find myself doing treadmill running, I don't think I do it outside, but definitely on the treadmill it tends to creep in until I notice and make a conscious effort to get the feet back where they should be.

@Me. Very tired this week. After winning the 'get out of bed' argument with myself every day last week, this week I've been struggling. The kids have been a bit unsettled at night, that's part of it. But just generally tired. I have still managed to run every day, but too many evening treadmill runs, not enough morning ones. Not going to be a perfect week by any stretch.
2024-03-07 3:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice 1600yd swim this morning at Masters. Nothing special, but It got done. This evening I have a TeamUSA townhall meeting (on Zoom), so I'll do my 60' Z2 foundation ride during that. I find these meetings so very useless for the most part, but there is usually at least one five minute segment that gives me some pertinent information that I don't feel like I can skip them. At least if I do my ride while I'm listening to the meeting, it isn't wasted time.

I have a question for those of you who train with a club. Our club starts warmups at 6:00 (when the pool opens) and we warm up on our own until 6:08. Then, there is a warmup with the team as part of the coached workout. Lately, folks have been starting to drift into the pool area between 6 and 6:08, forgoing the warm up on your own time. This is totally fine with me--I don't care if you warm up or not. I need to warm up, or I'll be lead arms when the official practice starts. As these folks come onto the deck, the coach tries to reorganize the lanes to fit them into their respective speed categories (we have 3 groups spread over about 8 lanes, most of the time). She will stop people who are warming up to have them move lanes to accommodate the "late-comers". I'm annoyed by this...like, so completely irritated when my warmup gets interrupted to move lanes to make room for someone who came in late (especially if the person I had to move to make room for then doesn't get into the pool until after the warmup period is over). My thinking is that if you aren't on the deck at 6, you've made the conscious choice to forego the warmup on your own period and we should have one reorganization of the lanes at the end of that period. I've been thinking of saying something to the coach to this effect, but I'm also wondering if this is just something that happens at every club and I need to get used to it. It didn't happen when we had our previous coach and I know others in our group are annoyed by the late comers too. What say you? Over reacting? Being too type-A?

I agree with you, they should re-organize the lanes just before the official warm-up starts, not before. If they give the option to warm up on our own before it starts, then you should be able to warm up on your own before it starts, not moving lanes.
2024-03-07 9:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Happy belated birthday, Gretchen!!! Hope you had a good time celebrating, and congrats to your student for passing with distinction!
Also, great month and take care of that shoulder!
And purple hair! Hilarious! Did you like it? Could be a fun look Go Ravens!

wife's birthday, not mine, but I'll pass along your thoughts.

Oops! Yes please pass along as you can tell, I was skimming through the 50+ messages I missed while I was gone lol
2024-03-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I agree with you, they should re-organize the lanes just before the official warm-up starts, not before. If they give the option to warm up on our own before it starts, then you should be able to warm up on your own before it starts, not moving lanes.

I agree with this also. We definitely have people come in late, but mostly they wait to hop in until there's a break and it's easy to make moves if needed. Or they just hop in a lane and start swimming, and then moves are made when there's a break. I think it's fair to say something to the coach. If it's bothering other people but the coach doesn't know, it's good feedback to share.

2024-03-07 9:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Yesterday I woke up and got in a 20 minute strength workout, 10 min pilates and 10 min core. Still need to get motivated to get out on a run. This morning I was slow getting up and had a 7:30am meeting so am going to try to do some stretching tonight.

Gretchen, a gait analysis sounds cool. Did they also give you advice on where to start? I agree, changing your running form completely would probably be hard on your body.

Andrew, great you're still getting the workouts in in the evenings! But I hear you, I much prefer a morning workout. And if you do an evening workout, it can be harder to then bounce back and do a morning workout just 12 hours later.

2024-03-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice 1600yd swim this morning at Masters. Nothing special, but It got done. This evening I have a TeamUSA townhall meeting (on Zoom), so I'll do my 60' Z2 foundation ride during that. I find these meetings so very useless for the most part, but there is usually at least one five minute segment that gives me some pertinent information that I don't feel like I can skip them. At least if I do my ride while I'm listening to the meeting, it isn't wasted time. I have a question for those of you who train with a club. Our club starts warmups at 6:00 (when the pool opens) and we warm up on our own until 6:08. Then, there is a warmup with the team as part of the coached workout. Lately, folks have been starting to drift into the pool area between 6 and 6:08, forgoing the warm up on your own time. This is totally fine with me--I don't care if you warm up or not. I need to warm up, or I'll be lead arms when the official practice starts. As these folks come onto the deck, the coach tries to reorganize the lanes to fit them into their respective speed categories (we have 3 groups spread over about 8 lanes, most of the time). She will stop people who are warming up to have them move lanes to accommodate the "late-comers". I'm annoyed by this...like, so completely irritated when my warmup gets interrupted to move lanes to make room for someone who came in late (especially if the person I had to move to make room for then doesn't get into the pool until after the warmup period is over). My thinking is that if you aren't on the deck at 6, you've made the conscious choice to forego the warmup on your own period and we should have one reorganization of the lanes at the end of that period. I've been thinking of saying something to the coach to this effect, but I'm also wondering if this is just something that happens at every club and I need to get used to it. It didn't happen when we had our previous coach and I know others in our group are annoyed by the late comers too. What say you? Over reacting? Being too type-A?
I agree with this also. We definitely have people come in late, but mostly they wait to hop in until there's a break and it's easy to make moves if needed. Or they just hop in a lane and start swimming, and then moves are made when there's a break. I think it's fair to say something to the coach. If it's bothering other people but the coach doesn't know, it's good feedback to share.

I've been in a couple of masters groups (including Nicole's).  I've never had to move lanes...if someone is faster you just tap someone's foot and pass on the turns.  Somehow kids can swim with like 50 in a six-lane pool for swim practices and a dozen adults can't figure it out.  LOL

2024-03-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recovery week (recovering from my previous recovery week...) is going fine and I've had a few good, shorter workouts including an outdoor run at lunch today with a 3' interval at R pace which was painful.  I think I'm like 98% back from my cold but I still have some sniffles so maybe I've just transitioned into perma-cold which I'll keep through allergy season. 

@Nicole:  glad you had a good time on your trip and hope it works out for you; 12 weeks until Rock Hall!!!

@Gretchen:  I've had a gait analysis done before and there were a few tweaks but I've been running for over 40 years (30-ish at the time) and when I tried to work on cadence and using a lower drop shoe I was miserable.  I also do the "sobriety test line"...like Andrew said especially on the treadmill.  I also cross over my left leg into the recovery path of my right leg and clip in the inside of my left ankle with my right shoe unless I'm running fast or concentrate on it.  Good luck but I find it more trouble than it's worth unless you get a eureka moment out of it.

@Andrew:  Evening > None - good job even if not optimal.  I haven't done a workout past 6 PM in probably 20 years LOL.  I'd be a wreck.

2024-03-07 12:58 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice 1600yd swim this morning at Masters. Nothing special, but It got done. This evening I have a TeamUSA townhall meeting (on Zoom), so I'll do my 60' Z2 foundation ride during that. I find these meetings so very useless for the most part, but there is usually at least one five minute segment that gives me some pertinent information that I don't feel like I can skip them. At least if I do my ride while I'm listening to the meeting, it isn't wasted time. I have a question for those of you who train with a club. Our club starts warmups at 6:00 (when the pool opens) and we warm up on our own until 6:08. Then, there is a warmup with the team as part of the coached workout. Lately, folks have been starting to drift into the pool area between 6 and 6:08, forgoing the warm up on your own time. This is totally fine with me--I don't care if you warm up or not. I need to warm up, or I'll be lead arms when the official practice starts. As these folks come onto the deck, the coach tries to reorganize the lanes to fit them into their respective speed categories (we have 3 groups spread over about 8 lanes, most of the time). She will stop people who are warming up to have them move lanes to accommodate the "late-comers". I'm annoyed by this...like, so completely irritated when my warmup gets interrupted to move lanes to make room for someone who came in late (especially if the person I had to move to make room for then doesn't get into the pool until after the warmup period is over). My thinking is that if you aren't on the deck at 6, you've made the conscious choice to forego the warmup on your own period and we should have one reorganization of the lanes at the end of that period. I've been thinking of saying something to the coach to this effect, but I'm also wondering if this is just something that happens at every club and I need to get used to it. It didn't happen when we had our previous coach and I know others in our group are annoyed by the late comers too. What say you? Over reacting? Being too type-A?

I've been in a couple of masters groups (including Nicole's).  I've never had to move lanes...if someone is faster you just tap someone's foot and pass on the turns.  Somehow kids can swim with like 50 in a six-lane pool for swim practices and a dozen adults can't figure it out.  LOL

Yeah, we definitely switch lanes on occasion but try to organize groups by speed so we don't have to do the foot tap thing often, but like I said, almost any change is done between sets.
2024-03-07 12:59 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Nicole:  glad you had a good time on your trip and hope it works out for you; 12 weeks until Rock Hall!!!

Eek, really?! I guess I really need to get back in the pool then! Thanks for this push!!!

2024-03-07 1:53 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Yeah, we definitely switch lanes on occasion but try to organize groups by speed so we don't have to do the foot tap thing often, but like I said, almost any change is done between sets.

We organize lanes by speed too, or...at least we try. I don't have a problem splitting lanes, or circling with a few people, not at all. What I hate is situations like today, where warmups were over (so, it was 6:08) and the coach posts a 500 as the first part of our team warmup. I start swimming and get about 100yds in and then I hear my name being shouted from the deck. I stop, and it is because someone has come in late and wants to join my lane. To me, that's bull....t. I shouldn't have to stop my workout to make an accommodation for someone who is (chronically) late (because it is ALWAYS the same three people. If they want to work in and circle without interrupting me...fine. Otherwise, I think they should wait until the set is done (okay...I really think they should show up on time!).

Today I just ignored the shouts and kept swimming.
2024-03-07 1:59 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Gretchen, a gait analysis sounds cool. Did they also give you advice on where to start? I agree, changing your running form completely would probably be hard on your body.

She didn't give me much guidance, but just a general list of things. I suppose if I had said I was interested in ongoing PT sessions with her, she would probably have little things to point out over the sessions, but honestly, the place is 35' away from my house and they are always running late over there, so every session would be 2.5-3 hours of time. I'll take the tips and see what I can do with them.

Mike--I was trying to pay attention today. First, I put on a 175bpm playlist and tried to keep up, but there was no way my HR was staying in Z2 If I did that, so I jumped back down to a 165bpm playlist and it was fine, although I certainly didn't keep the beat well. I also paid attention to where my feet were falling and I don't think I was doing the crossing over much on the track. I think that might be an artifact of running on the treadmill and exaggerating my stride to be sure to avoid stepping off the side of the tread and flinging myself off the back in front of a room full of people (not that I have ANY experience doing that...nope, not me...not at all and certainly not on four different continents now). The one thing I was able to really focus on today was keeping my arms tucked next to my side. That seemed to help my stride some, although I could be over estimating how much that helped my pace versus the fact that it was an interval workout with 10x1' in Z4.
2024-03-07 2:03 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Triple the fun today! Started my morning with 2500 yds with masters and then around lunch I did an hour of interval running and then an hour of strength training.

The university is hosting the MAC conference swimming meet this weekend. Three effects of this on me:
1.) swim times are severely limited, so I HAVE to get up and go to masters--no other times open but 6-8am
2.) we see the day before's times and find little nuggets like yesterday as part of the 200IM relay one of the SIU swimmers did the 50 free in 17.83 seconds (or...like three times faster than I can swim)
3.) they are using ALL the hot water and the showers are currently doubling as ice bath recovery

2024-03-07 7:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Triple the fun today! Started my morning with 2500 yds with masters and then around lunch I did an hour of interval running and then an hour of strength training. The university is hosting the MAC conference swimming meet this weekend. Three effects of this on me: 1.) swim times are severely limited, so I HAVE to get up and go to masters--no other times open but 6-8am 2.) we see the day before's times and find little nuggets like yesterday as part of the 200IM relay one of the SIU swimmers did the 50 free in 17.83 seconds (or...like three times faster than I can swim) 3.) they are using ALL the hot water and the showers are currently doubling as ice bath recovery

That's Caleb Dressel world record territory?  I get it you are a little faster off the blocks in a relay (but frankly, 99% of swimmers are slower off the relay blocks than Dressel is starting while holding still...). 

ETA:  I just watched the video of Dressel.  8 strokes the first 25, 11 the second.  Near zero elbow bend the whole way.  Not the same species as me. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-03-07 7:20 PM
2024-03-07 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yeah, the old guys in the group were super excited about it being close to a record of some sort. I ducked out of the convo to warm up.

2024-03-08 9:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2650yd swim this morning. The pool was absolutely freezing today, which felt good after a few laps.
2024-03-08 12:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

2650yd swim this morning. The pool was absolutely freezing today, which felt good after a few laps.

Got in a 30 minute full body strength session today. Still need to get outside to run but there's something in my brain keeping me from doing it. I WILL get out there this weekend!
2024-03-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5288132

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DDDDOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!
2024-03-09 3:47 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2 hours on the trainer today with 6x2.5' Z4 intervals. It was a tough workout. Might not have been as tough if I hadn't done an hour on the bike last night with 3x5' in Z3. Today felt a little sluggish. But, it is done.
2024-03-10 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Workouts after 6pm have made up a big part of my training for the last 6 years or so (My oldest kid is 6, wonder if there is any connection to that haha) So doing the evening workout itself isn't too much of an issue. It's if I miss the morning, then I can't do a double. So something gets sacrificed so I can do the more important workouts for the week. At the moment that means go for a run and skip the Swim and Bike. Hope that your recovery week is going well.

@Nicole, So? Did you go for that run? To paraphrase Dr Gretchen, Doooo iiiiiittttt!

@Nat, hope you're recovered from your goalie floorball session.

@Gretchen. The Machine keeps on machining. I did a similar Bike workout Saturday. But mine was the kids version I was 60 minutes, with 4x2.5@Z4. Z4 is not easy, nice work. For your Gait analysis changes, be careful of trying to do too much at once. Maybe focus on keeping the arms tucked in for a week or 2 before worrying about your cadence. Like they always say, changing too much too fast is risky.

2024-03-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished off a surprisingly tough week. Like I said earlier, there was a general feeling of tiredness and fatuige, morning workouts didn't happen, and it was all just difficult. The previous week I did 6 runs starting at 6am or earlier, last week only 2. Sucky. Good thing it's time for a rest and recovery week.

Thanks to my midweek sleep ins, I ended up having to load up the weekend more than I would have liked. Saturday was long run with a fast finish in the morning, Z4 intervals on zwift in the evening. Sunday Interval run late morning while Mr 6 made legos around the treadmill and a sweet spot (3x10') zwift in the evening. For the week:

S: 0. The first to be sacrificed with life gets in the way
B: x2. 2 hours
R: x7, 6hr35min. 51km
S&M: x2 short bodyweight things, about 10 min total.

Highlights for the week, hitting 50km running 2 weeks in a row. A fortnight ago I had never reached that milestone, now I've done it twice. And Sundays sweet spot ride was the highest 60 minute average power I've ever ridden according to strava. Not sure how that came about, but nice to see the gold medals on the strava screen.

Rest week incoming, Will be bookended with a day off Monday and Sunday. Bring on the sleeps.
2024-03-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5288137

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Life got in the way yesterday, so I ended up doing my 40’ recovery run, but as a walk, this morning. Sunday is usually my test day, so it was a compromise.

Overall, week looked good:
Swim 9150.00 yards 3h 55m 35s
Bike 86.10 miles 5h 00m 05s
Run 13.84 miles 3h 02m 25s
Strength 1h 49m

This upcoming week will be tricky. I’ll be at my parents from Wednesday to next Wednesday watching my niece and nephews (ages 17, 15, & 14) while my parents go on their first solo vacation in 5.5 years, since the kids were placed with them. They’re pretty much old enough to take care of themselves, but I have to drive the younger two to all their stuff and feed them…and probably make sure they don’t manage to injure or mame themselves.
2024-03-11 5:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
solid week Gretchen, but then again, anything else would be surprising

Have fun taking care of your niece and nephews.

S = 0
B 3h22- 40k and some zwift k's
R 2h42 21k

S&M, errr, 0
2024-03-11 6:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Highlights for the week, hitting 50km running 2 weeks in a row. A fortnight ago I had never reached that milestone, now I've done it twice. And Sundays sweet spot ride was the highest 60 minute average power I've ever ridden according to strava. Not sure how that came about, but nice to see the gold medals on the strava screen.

Well done!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland