Take your time....

2008-05-19 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1411977

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
cadmus - 2008-05-19 5:49 PM

dalessit - 2008-05-19 6:56 AM So whats everyone got on tap for this week? Swim/Bike today, Brick ride/run tomorrow, tempo run on Wednesday, Long Swim Thursday, Long Ride Friday, Saturday off and Sunday long run... Have my next tri on June 1st so this is my last good week of training, going to take it easy next week.

I'm not sure what I'll get in this week.  I ended up getting really sick the last day and a half of vacation, so much so that I lost 7 lbs.  I'm still a little tired today, but otherwise feeling better. 

My HR monitor came in and I'm itching to try that out, so I'll probably get back to physical activity in the next day or so. 

Yeah I had something like that a couple weeks ago, just couldn't get out to train, wish I could have lost 7 lbs though... (hehe sometimes there are good side effects...)
2008-05-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay healthy and relativly injury free. For the first time since mid January I can plan what I will do for a work out rather than what I will need to give up.

Lets see. I did 13 miles run on Sat, 37 mile bike on Sunday, 4 mile run Monday, will do 22 mile bike on Tuescay (or first swim of this year), 8-9 mile run on thursday, Friday off, Sat 13-15 miles (see how it feels) Sunday 25-35 unless i get ambitious.

Need to work more swims in. I got the total immersion vidio today and well it was a bit more than I could take in all at once.

Also, it has been 95 F every day this week making workouts a bit hotter than when it snowed um 2 weeks ago. There is still snow in the hills/ mountains.

I will have to look at my plan and see where I need to tweek things as I can now ... start working a plan again, yay.

Oh lots of rattlesnakes on the raod this year. They freak me out when I'm biking along and all of the sudden a rattler starts moving in front of my bike path with little notice. I missed both of them last outting, but was not having happy immages of what would happen if i ran right over him in the middle...
2008-05-19 11:44 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
My goals for the week:

Today: Rest day
Tuesday:5-6 mile run in the morning, 2500 yard swim @ lunch
Weds: Jump on the bike for 25-35 miles in the morning, run after work 5 miles
Thursday: run 5-6 miles in the morning, the bike for an hour or so
Friday: Run 5 miles in the morning, maybe squeeze in a swim at lunch (leaving town today)
Saturday: BIKE LONG (5-6 hours)
Sunday: BIKE (3:30) followed by a 45 minute run
Monday: Short Bike (2 hrs) then drive home....
2008-05-20 5:43 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Tuesday brick Bike and run
Wednesday run
Thursday swim
Friday off day
Saturday long swim long run
Sunday slightly shorter run
Monday hockey

So I am coming up to my first tri shortly whiich will take me to the end of the training schedule I am currently following. My next tri ins't until 3 weeks after. What should I do about the trainng? Do I just go back to the trainng schedule and do the last 3 weeks again?
2008-05-20 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1412825

User image

Champion
Redknight - 2008-05-20 6:43 AM

Tuesday brick Bike and run
Wednesday run
Thursday swim
Friday off day
Saturday long swim long run
Sunday slightly shorter run
Monday hockey

So I am coming up to my first tri shortly whiich will take me to the end of the training schedule I am currently following. My next tri ins't until 3 weeks after. What should I do about the trainng? Do I just go back to the trainng schedule and do the last 3 weeks again?

Yeah I am in the same boat.

I am going to start my olympic tri training after June 1st

What I was going to do was to upgrade my membership here to check out the other plans. I assume there are non-beginner plans. I would hope I can find one that should be close to what I am using now but doesn't start with 20 minute runs like my beginner ones did.

2008-05-20 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1412875

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

dalessit - 2008-05-20 7:49 AM
Redknight - 2008-05-20 6:43 AM Tuesday brick Bike and run Wednesday run Thursday swim Friday off day Saturday long swim long run Sunday slightly shorter run Monday hockey So I am coming up to my first tri shortly whiich will take me to the end of the training schedule I am currently following. My next tri ins't until 3 weeks after. What should I do about the trainng? Do I just go back to the trainng schedule and do the last 3 weeks again?
Yeah I am in the same boat. I am going to start my olympic tri training after June 1st What I was going to do was to upgrade my membership here to check out the other plans. I assume there are non-beginner plans. I would hope I can find one that should be close to what I am using now but doesn't start with 20 minute runs like my beginner ones did.

I found a plan titled "Sprint to Olympic Bridge 12 weeks" that I am loosely following.  It has either long days, or short combinations, so it is a pretty good intermediate training program.  I found it at the Silver level.  Best of luck to you.

2008-05-20 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Training for me:

Swim 2x (I want one of those to be a 2000m swim - would be first time )

running only 4 miles 2x

bike brick 2x

and I have to get this all in before the holiday weekend (going out of town) Maybe I can run while on vacation.

2008-05-20 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

First off, the Muddy Buddy was a blast on Sunday and I am looking forward to signing up next year.  With that said, it was definitely tougher than I planned since I am not an avid mountain biker (or trail runner).  Anyway, my poor partner had a tougher time than me because I had to wait for him for almost 10 minutes before entering the mud pit.

So, what is on tap for me this week??  I have my first sprint tri this Sunday so I am not going to over do it (plus, I am a little sore from the Muddy Buddy).

Tuesday:  Splash and Dash (This is a once a month event at my health club that consists of a 750m OWS in the quarry followed by a 3K trail run around the quarry).  I think they had 50 or so people sign up last month and should be a good warm up.

Wednesday: 20 mi easy bike

Thursday: easy 4mi run

Friday: Open water swim in the quarry.  Thought I would go for a swim in my tri shorts and top to see how it feels.

Saturday: Tri Expo and registration pick up.  I think I want to go by Lance Armstrong's new bike shop that opened a few weeks ago.

Sunday: RACE DAY 

2008-05-20 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Well I just missed the last 3 day of training as I was out of town and there was no opportunity to train. I feel like I gained about 20 lbs but am sure that isn't the case. Went swimming this morning and just felt off so I didn't push it too hard. Probably should have but it is over now. this is my week

Today: Swim  30min and Run 45

Wed: Bike 1 hour (might make this one a longer one)

Thursday is run and Swim class

Friday Off

Sat. bike 1 hour and 15 min and 2200m swim

Sun Bike 45 Min, Run 1 hour and 15 min.

2008-05-20 9:45 AM

User image

NYC, NY

I'm really worried .... maybe you guys can give me advice!!!

My training over the last year has been hampered because of injury (knees/ITB/Shin Splints).

I dont even want to say it because I don't want to jinx myself but the last month and a half has been pain free. I havent ramped up my work outs because I raced April 28 (PR'd by 13min) and came back to taper again for my race this weekend. I would say I have endurance but not as conditioned as I should be.

What is my fear.... This will be my third olympic so I'm not scare of doing the race. But it is in Austin, Tx. If anyone has been watching the weather reports or lives there the temps are in the 90's and expected to be the same on race day. Also thunderstorms are expected.

I live in NYC.. Its been a Balmy 50-60 degrees for months. I am certainly not heat trained and I am a scardy cat on my bike. I like being on it (a road bike with clipless peddles that I got only a year ago) but have had some experiences that have made me a bit fearful.

I dont even know what I'm asking you guys for but thought maybe it would help my fears. 

Thanks for listening

Jess 

2008-05-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1413308

User image

Calgary, Canada
Jess

As we can not see your training logs, I can not how your training has been. Also what is is it on the bike that you are afraid of, what happened on previous long rides?
2008-05-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1413235

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
texwilk - 2008-05-20 10:22 AM

First off, the Muddy Buddy was a blast on Sunday and I am looking forward to signing up next year.  With that said, it was definitely tougher than I planned since I am not an avid mountain biker (or trail runner).  Anyway, my poor partner had a tougher time than me because I had to wait for him for almost 10 minutes before entering the mud pit.

So, what is on tap for me this week??  I have my first sprint tri this Sunday so I am not going to over do it (plus, I am a little sore from the Muddy Buddy).

Tuesday:  Splash and Dash (This is a once a month event at my health club that consists of a 750m OWS in the quarry followed by a 3K trail run around the quarry).  I think they had 50 or so people sign up last month and should be a good warm up.

Wednesday: 20 mi easy bike

Thursday: easy 4mi run

Friday: Open water swim in the quarry.  Thought I would go for a swim in my tri shorts and top to see how it feels.

Saturday: Tri Expo and registration pick up.  I think I want to go by Lance Armstrong's new bike shop that opened a few weeks ago.

Sunday: RACE DAY 

Last time I swam in a quarry it was FREEZING, and that was with a wet suit on in Florida.  Is your quarry the same way?   I am jealous of you getting to go th Armstrong's shop.  I am a huge fan (even though this puts me in the minority in the biking world.  I like to hold on to the thread of hope that he didn't dope and he is really that much of a biological freak who can punish people the way he does.)  Were you able to get any photos from the Muddy Buddy?  Good luck on the tri this weekend.

2008-05-20 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Trigrl - 2008-05-20 9:45 AM

I'm really worried .... maybe you guys can give me advice!!!

My training over the last year has been hampered because of injury (knees/ITB/Shin Splints).

I dont even want to say it because I don't want to jinx myself but the last month and a half has been pain free. I havent ramped up my work outs because I raced April 28 (PR'd by 13min) and came back to taper again for my race this weekend. I would say I have endurance but not as conditioned as I should be.

What is my fear.... This will be my third olympic so I'm not scare of doing the race. But it is in Austin, Tx. If anyone has been watching the weather reports or lives there the temps are in the 90's and expected to be the same on race day. Also thunderstorms are expected.

I live in NYC.. Its been a Balmy 50-60 degrees for months. I am certainly not heat trained and I am a scardy cat on my bike. I like being on it (a road bike with clipless peddles that I got only a year ago) but have had some experiences that have made me a bit fearful.

I dont even know what I'm asking you guys for but thought maybe it would help my fears.

Thanks for listening

Jess

I will be at the same race this weekend.  It is supposed to reach 98 today and will be warm but the good news is that it won't be too bad in the mornings (low 70's I believe).  I also don't think the storms are expected until the late afternoon. 

2008-05-20 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Trigrl - 2008-05-20 10:45 AM

... dont even know what I'm asking you guys for but thought maybe it would help my fears. 

Thanks for listening

Jess 

I think that is the point of these groups, gives you a group of people you can talk to. Sometimes it is just nice to be able to vent a bit.

I would say for the heat just make sure you stay hydrated and put on sunscreen. (I think there is a post in the iron distance about sunscreen now)
2008-05-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1413330

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Well, Lance can do no wrong here in Austin although I am sure you are right and others do not feel that way.  He does so much for the community and I am looking forward to checking out his shop.

I will hopefully have a few pictures later this week to share so stay tuned.

2008-05-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1413328

User image

NYC, NY

ITan - 2008-05-20 10:53 AM Jess As we can not see your training logs, I can not how your training has been. Also what is is it on the bike that you are afraid of, what happened on previous long rides?

I'm sorry. I thought that I made them availiable to everyone. Im new to BT.. found them at the multisport expo in boston in March and love the site. But still trying to figure out a few things on the site.

How do I make them availiable to everyone? (there is not much to see for right now). I got laid off so my training has taken a hit....mentally not there.

2008-05-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1413417

User image

Calgary, Canada
in control panel

(control.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
control.jpg (54KB - 17 downloads)
2008-05-20 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Jess,

I haven't done an olympic yet so from my point of view,  I would be nervous too. But since you have conquered that hurdle you are at an advantage of knowing what to expect.  Maybe it is just the pre-race jitters of traveling such a long way (why Austin from NYC anyway?) It will be nice to have Mark there. Just try to have fun and enjoy the change of warmth.  We are all behind you.

2008-05-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1413341

User image

NYC, NY

"I will be at the same race this weekend. It is supposed to reach 98 today and will be warm but the good news is that it won't be too bad in the mornings (low 70's I believe). I also don't think the storms are expected until the late afternoon."

My worry is that I am in the 30-34 age group so by the time I get out there its usually 11-noon when the temps are the worst. At least that was my experience in St' A's (the last two years) which I know is a bigger race. My wave time was 8:50am so by the time im finishing the bike and run its the height of heat. (Overall time was 3:14)

Edited by Trigrl 2008-05-20 10:29 AM
2008-05-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1413436

User image

NYC, NY
tahrens - 2008-05-20 11:27 AM

Jess,

I haven't done an olympic yet so from my point of view, I would be nervous too. But since you have conquered that hurdle you are at an advantage of knowing what to expect. Maybe it is just the pre-race jitters of traveling such a long way (why Austin from NYC anyway?) It will be nice to have Mark there. Just try to have fun and enjoy the change of warmth. We are all behind you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence... It goes a long way!! Maybe it is just pre-race jitters. Undecided I am a mentor for TNT (leukemia and lymphoma society's endurance team). So that is why im traveling.. they pay for the travel/hotel/food in exchange for your voleentered time. It has been an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Plus there have been major strides in such a short time in childhood Blood cancers. The money is important and there could actually be a cure in our lifetime.

Research funding has helped to develop treatments that have increased the survival rate of children suffering from Leukemia from 4% in 1961 to 85% today.

www.teamintraining.com

www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/jel -  my page which has my blurb.  

2008-05-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1413443

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, it probably won't get above 90 until later in the afternoon but it will be warming up.  It is usually at the peak temp around 3-4.

2008-05-20 10:40 AM

User image

NYC, NY

is there a way to access this thread from my main page more easily... instead of going to forums, then clicking on swr, then going to the most recent page? 

2008-05-20 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1413433

User image

NYC, NY

ITan - 2008-05-20 11:27 AM in control panel

thanks.. I just changed it.. hopefully it worked 

2008-05-20 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1413490

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Trigrl - 2008-05-20 11:40 AM

is there a way to access this thread from my main page more easily... instead of going to forums, then clicking on swr, then going to the most recent page? 

I had the same problem.  I was advised not to log out each time I leave the site and bookmark the page.  You can also click the box at the bottom of the page to get email notifications whenever a new posting occurs. 

I love the idea of being a mentor.  I currently raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation for cancer research.  I have lost 3 family members to cancer and am very committed to the cause.  Maybe being a mentor would be a great way to combine my new found love of the sport and help others as well.  (That is, assuming I survive my first olympic)

Keep rockin' girl. You are an inspiration.

Edited by tahrens 2008-05-20 10:46 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78