BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-30 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1878433

User image

Master
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 5:00 PM

I posted an old fat pic of me under the thread before and after.  (I just like embarrassing myself publically...)  You can check it out for entertainment if you want...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=111988&posts=78#M1878429

Wow!!! Good for you! That is amazing and you should be so proud of yourself!!

I agree with you, Kellie, it is hard!! I will say the one thing that makes it "easier" for me is that exercise is a WAY OF LIFE. It is not a special occasion or something to try. To me it is like drinking coffee in the morning, only I get to skip it now and again. I am motivated by goals, so as long as I throw down an entry fee now and then I will be motivated to endure it when it gets tough. But even without races, I feel like crap on days I don't work out, and I love that!

2008-12-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1872744

User image

Master
Greg (or any other Garmin users): I will try to figure this out on my own, but I'm finding the Garmin isn't overly intuitive. I need to use it and figure it out but it's hard right now when I can barely exercise outside.

Anyway, I have a question about using the Garmin for the biking LT test. How do you get your average HR over a portion of the workout? Is it a matter of using the lap button? I want to get that 30-min. HR average after the warm-up...

Thanks! Happy New Year's Eve prep to all! Can't believe 2009 is upon us!
2008-12-30 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1878505

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2008-12-30 6:54 PM
slow turtle - 2008-12-30 5:48 PM
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 6:00 PM

I posted an old fat pic of me under the thread before and after.  (I just like embarrassing myself publically...)  You can check it out for entertainment if you want...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=111988&posts=78#M1878429

Holy Smokes, Bron!! That is amazing. No wonder why your kids weren't sure if it was you they saw running the other day!!

You've inspired me, so I'm off to the pool to try one of those pull buoy thingies!!

let us know how the pull buoy experience goes

The pull buoy experience was...well..an experience. I used one that the Y provides, and I felt like it didn't really offer much buoency (is that a word?). My legs kept dropping, and I almost felt like I had to kick to keep from sinking. Do the buoys wear out after a while?

I managed to get 2 sets of 100yards each done within my workout. My arms feel a little more tired than usual? Is that normal? 

I think I'll invest in my own buoy, because I'm not so big on sharing equipment with other people. Yes-I had a hard time getting through KindergartenWink

2008-12-30 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1878918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2008-12-30 10:07 PM
kellc09 - 2008-12-30 6:54 PM
slow turtle - 2008-12-30 5:48 PM
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 6:00 PM

Holy Smokes, Bron!! That is amazing. No wonder why your kids weren't sure if it was you they saw running the other day!!

You've inspired me, so I'm off to the pool to try one of those pull buoy thingies!!

let us know how the pull buoy experience goes

The pull buoy experience was...well..an experience. I used one that the Y provides, and I felt like it didn't really offer much buoency (is that a word?). My legs kept dropping, and I almost felt like I had to kick to keep from sinking. Do the buoys wear out after a while?

I managed to get 2 sets of 100yards each done within my workout. My arms feel a little more tired than usual? Is that normal? 

I think I'll invest in my own buoy, because I'm not so big on sharing equipment with other people. Yes-I had a hard time getting through KindergartenWink

Heidi - I love swimming with a pull bouy. I can swim so much further with one.  It keeps me horizontal.  I feel like I am sinking when I swim normal.  There are different pull bouys at my pool.  I think some are more boyant than others.

Kyla, Kellie, and Heidi - thanks for the positive words.  I just need to keep up this healthy lifestyle!

2008-12-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1878918

User image

Master
Good girl, Heidi, for conquering the pull buoy!!! I'm like Bronwyn -- I love swimming with one. But I was/am a distance swimmer and do a little two-beat kick just to keep my legs afloat, so using a buoy actually is very comfortable for me. When I was a swimmer (back in the day), we always did our breathing drills with the buoys (i.e. 200's breathing 3-5-7-9 by 50).
2008-12-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: #1878893

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

kkcbelle - 2008-12-30 9:59 PM Greg (or any other Garmin users): I will try to figure this out on my own, but I'm finding the Garmin isn't overly intuitive. I need to use it and figure it out but it's hard right now when I can barely exercise outside. Anyway, I have a question about using the Garmin for the biking LT test. How do you get your average HR over a portion of the workout? Is it a matter of using the lap button? I want to get that 30-min. HR average after the warm-up... Thanks! Happy New Year's Eve prep to all! Can't believe 2009 is upon us!

The best thing to do is just create a "lap" and once you download it you can break out your HR and pace for that lap.  I would hit the lap right as it starts and then once the 30mins is over so your cooldown is not part of the test.  Good luck

David

2008-12-30 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Elgin, Ok
Heidi,

The pull buoy should not wear out. The only thing is that they may have different sizes but most of the are the same. You may try putting it lower on your thighs towards your knees. That may help your leg buoyancy. You also may not be pushing your chest forward (deep) enough and that would cause your legs to be heavier thus pushing down the pull buoy. If you are balanced there should be no feeling of needing to kick. Keep using it. The more you use them the better you will get.
2008-12-31 9:04 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks for all the swim and pull buoy tips!

I woke up to more snow today! Expecting 5-8 inches before it's done. So, I'm hoping my plans for dinner tonite don't have to be cancelled.

Biked this morning-did Jorges Week 2 day 2. The 2 intervals of 5 minutes with 2 min. recovery were HARD!

I was just about to give up when my 2 year old bounded into the room. He looked at me and said, "Hi Mommy! You exercise! You be healthy!" That's all it took to motivate me. I bumped up the effort for the last few minutes and felt good about it! Jack-My personal motivater!

2008-12-31 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1879502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2008-12-31 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the swim and pull buoy tips!

I woke up to more snow today! Expecting 5-8 inches before it's done. So, I'm hoping my plans for dinner tonite don't have to be cancelled.

Biked this morning-did Jorges Week 2 day 2. The 2 intervals of 5 minutes with 2 min. recovery were HARD!

I was just about to give up when my 2 year old bounded into the room. He looked at me and said, "Hi Mommy! You exercise! You be healthy!" That's all it took to motivate me. I bumped up the effort for the last few minutes and felt good about it! Jack-My personal motivater!

It is great when kids get excited for you!  My kids kindly reminded me that I said I was going to eat healthy after xmas (as I was about to eat a cookie bar I made for tonight)!!

We had snow too.  The pool was closed due to the snow (lame excuse) and the gym opened late.  I at least got a run in on the treadmill this morning.  

I don't like it when our group gets down to the bottom of the page!

2008-12-31 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

I hope everyone has a good New Years!!!

So what is everyone proud of/excited for that they accomplished in 08?   What would you like to accomplish in 09'?

2008-12-31 2:01 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Happy New Year to all.

This past year I competed in my first organized race. It was an awesome feeling lining up at the start with all the other runners.

This next year I want to complete my sprint, olympic, and full iron tri.

2008-12-31 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Happy New Year to you guys!

2008 was a good year as I went from sprint distance to HIM.  I set a couple PR's this year also.

2009 is going to be challenging as my sales territory has grown considerably due to the slow economy.  This means I will travel much more and getting quality workouts will be difficult and I won' t have my bike with me.  My goals for 2009 is to train to finish marathons, century bike rides, and maintain my swim fitness.  Kinda like a pre-pre IM training program.  If I can get the training hours in 2009 to be somewhat close to what will be required to finish an IM, then 2009 will be a success and I will be ready to go for the IM in 2010.  I have no "A" races in 2009, though I want to do well at the Muncie Endurathon.

2008-12-31 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1880087

User image

Master
Happy New Year to everyone!

I did W2 Q2 of Jorge this morning -- first time I set my alarm to get up for a workout in a couple of weeks, but had to do it that way. Our power went out briefly last night and our network was down this morning and I couldn't access the workout so went from memory. I ended up giving myself 3' in between the 2x5', but I probably needed it!! I found the 5' not quite as hard as the 5x2' earlier in the week... I think that's just how my body is. The longer something is the easier it is for me to find a groove and push it through.

To top it all off, while my car was in the shop I went for a 5.5-mile run -- my first on clear sidewalks in about two weeks. I was in HEAVEN!! My neighborhood is still not run-ready. Arrrgh!

For 08, I'm proud of successfully completing an Oly and placing 9th in my AG. I'm also proud of a 6th-place AG finish in a large local sprint tri. Proud of a course PR for the Seattle half-mary last month.

In '09 I'm hoping to nail my first HIM. I am playing with the idea of a late fall mary with a strong focus on a sub-4:00 or a 3:50 BQ (current PR is 4:11). But the June HIM is the highlight of my year, and anything after that will be gravy and fun (although everything before it is fun as well!). I also want to get my bike times faster!! Spin spin spin!! Wheeeeeeee!!!!
2008-12-31 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1880087

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kellc09 - 2008-12-31 1:31 PM

I hope everyone has a good New Years!!!

So what is everyone proud of/excited for that they accomplished in 08?   What would you like to accomplish in 09'?

I guess I should respond to my own question here to

What I am happy about from  08' I was a) finishing IMLP, make it through all the training (that was probably harder than the race)!   b) remaining injury free during said IM training, c) getting faster.   I finally buckled down and trained properly, and I'll never train another way again.  It was worth it!

For 09'.   Oy.   Well, I have a couple of good goals for 09.   Unfortunately, Im waiting until Friday to find out what my MRI says and see if I am going in for knee surgery or not.   One thing I was NOT proud of for 08' is I pushed through marathon training at the end of the season, after a long year of training, and came out injured.   While I ccut my training in half for the last 1.5 months of marathon training, I still didnt get better and I ran the race anyways and now I have been out for 2 months.  

So, depending on how the MRI goes, I plan to race the Olympic circuit around here, I wanted to try to win the points series which would get me free racing for life.  BUT, thats up in the air.  I also wanted to do another marathon to qualify for Boston.  I was trained to qualify at Marine Corps but went in injured, so I gave up that goal and walked/ran in at 4:09.  Enjoyed it alot!!  But, still, if I can get healthy, Im going for it again. 

I will also be signing up for my second IM, Wisconsin.   For 2010.   Along with my dad hopefully!   Whole other story there, but wow, he has come soooo far, and if that happens, that will be even better than completing the race myself

I will also be getting certified to become a coach.  And that, I am super excited for!  Ive wanted to do it for a long time, just finally took the plunge!!!!

2008-12-31 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Kellie - I had to give up trying to BQ this fall also.  I didn't even bother running the marathon.  I knew it would just lead to me being out even longer.  I hope to BQ this fall but don't feel fast enough right now.  I lost a lot of speed while out.  It is great that you are working on becoming a tri coach!

2008 - Since my racing season was cut short, the highlight was running a 5K in 24:22 (7:50 pace and my PR) and running the Gaylord Alpenfest 12k in 1:01 (8:17 pace).  I was second in my age group in both races.  I also participated in a fitness contest that I worked my a$$ off for.  I just wanted to do that once.

2009 - My goals are to do my first triathlon successfully,  to BQ at the Detroit Marathon and to register for my first IM. 

Happy New Year everyone!

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2008-12-31 6:25 PM
2009-01-01 7:27 AM

User image

Expert

Happy New Year! It sounds like people did a lot of great things in '08. Here's to a new year and new goals!

In '08 I bought my first bike since I was 16! I used it to commute to work atleast 4 days a week through out the summer.  I trained for my first sprint Tri, and although the official race was cancelled due to a hurricane, My husband and I created our own race (here in town) for that morning. I missed many of the things that I was really looking forward to because it wasn't organized, but now I know that I can go the distance.

So, in '09 I want to repeat the course that we laid out for ourselves for the "home tri" and take 10-15 minutes off my original time. I want to enter and complete an official sprint. And at the end of the summer, I'm hoping to do an oly distance.

2009-01-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1880849

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-01 7:27 AM

Happy New Year! It sounds like people did a lot of great things in '08. Here's to a new year and new goals!

In '08 I bought my first bike since I was 16! I used it to commute to work atleast 4 days a week through out the summer.  I trained for my first sprint Tri, and although the official race was cancelled due to a hurricane, My husband and I created our own race (here in town) for that morning. I missed many of the things that I was really looking forward to because it wasn't organized, but now I know that I can go the distance.

So, in '09 I want to repeat the course that we laid out for ourselves for the "home tri" and take 10-15 minutes off my original time. I want to enter and complete an official sprint. And at the end of the summer, I'm hoping to do an oly distance.

Thats cool you guys created your own when it was cancelled by the hurricane!!!  Too bad they didnt still hold the tri... that would have been a cool first tri experience to tell to people.. haha

2009-01-01 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Happy New Year everyone!

Things I'm proud of accomplishing in 2008: Finished my first Olympic distance tri, finished my first 10k, 12k, and 10 miler, finished my first half marathon and then 2 more, PR'd in all distances run and tri, got my first tri bike and clipless pedals, overcame my fear of open water swimming, learned to bilateral breathe, maintained my weight loss within a few pounds.

For 2009: Started the year off well with a PR in the 5k I ran today I'm registered for Boise 70.3 in June and planning my first Marathon in April. Hoping I can keep my body in good enough shape to do all this after my recent diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis (a form of rheumatic arthritis). I am determined to not let it interfere with my training!

Thanks for asking this Kellie! I hadn't realized how much I actually had accomplished training wise this year until I actually listed it

I forgot to add that I would never have accomplished most of what I did last year without the awesome support I've gotten here on BT! Thank you and I hope everyone has a fantastic year!!!

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-01-01 11:12 PM
2009-01-02 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Roni-Those are some great accomplishments! Way to go.
2009-01-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1881989

User image

Master
Those are some amazing accomplishments, Roni!! Good for you. This is a hard-working group here who has done quite a bit. I find it inspiring!!

Question for you, Roni... how are you pairing your HIM and marathon training? Just curious how you're working it all out. My focus is a June HIM also (Victoria) and I've been toying with a half mary in March (Mercer Island) but will wait and see how that plays out.

And here's a question to throw out to everyone here... I'm doing the Jorge program which has been great to get me on the trainer regularly (not to mention the workouts are much more intense than anything I would have pieced together on my own). Just wrapped up week 2 today. I've been planning on doing the HIM training program from BT, and my 20-week program starts on 2/2. I'll only be about, what, 6 or 7 weeks into Jorge's 14-week plan at that point. Do you think there's a good way to combine Jorge with the HIM training plan? Make Jorge my bike workouts on the days they bikes are scheduled, and add in an extra Jorge biking workout if need be? Biking is my limiter for sure, so I know I need the hours and the focus there. And the weather here in WA doesn't promise to be nice enough for decent outdoor riding for awhile (I need to suck it up and invest in some good rain and cold gear, I know...).

Thanks! Cheers to all!

2009-01-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1882870

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I would look at the training program and note the time for your bike days and see if Jorge's program "marries" up with it.  Or at least comes close.  While inside, I would modify Jorge's workouts so that I was putting in the amount of time my 20 week plan had.

Reasons:

1. When you do finally get outside, you should transition smoothly to the workouts since you have been keeping up with the program during the trainer riding.

2. I don't know about you, but these trainer sessions make the whole experience of indoor riding easier to take.  I can look at my long term plan, see I need to ride say 3 hours this week, look at Jorge's and adjust ride time up or down accordingly.  He designed the program to get up through the indoor season and to prepare us for triathlon season in summer. 

Hope I did not confuse you too much.  I am not a trainer, so take this with some apprehension!

2009-01-02 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-01-02 12:56 PM Those are some amazing accomplishments, Roni!! Good for you. This is a hard-working group here who has done quite a bit. I find it inspiring!! Question for you, Roni... how are you pairing your HIM and marathon training? Just curious how you're working it all out. My focus is a June HIM also (Victoria) and I've been toying with a half mary in March (Mercer Island) but will wait and see how that plays out. And here's a question to throw out to everyone here... I'm doing the Jorge program which has been great to get me on the trainer regularly (not to mention the workouts are much more intense than anything I would have pieced together on my own). Just wrapped up week 2 today. I've been planning on doing the HIM training program from BT, and my 20-week program starts on 2/2. I'll only be about, what, 6 or 7 weeks into Jorge's 14-week plan at that point. Do you think there's a good way to combine Jorge with the HIM training plan? Make Jorge my bike workouts on the days they bikes are scheduled, and add in an extra Jorge biking workout if need be? Biking is my limiter for sure, so I know I need the hours and the focus there. And the weather here in WA doesn't promise to be nice enough for decent outdoor riding for awhile (I need to suck it up and invest in some good rain and cold gear, I know...). Thanks! Cheers to all!

Greg gave good ideas for Jorges plan.  Definitely look at Jorges plan to how it matches up with the HIM training plan you will use.   I dont know if Jorges plan has a long ride day or not, that will be key also.   I would say compare the two, if there are big differences, then ask us, or someone, and think about it.   Jorges plan might be more than is on the HIM plan in the beginning few weeks.  Thats ok if you like Jorges plan!  And adding a little more biking is ok.

2009-01-02 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

kkcbelle - 2009-01-02 10:56 AM Those are some amazing accomplishments, Roni!! Good for you. This is a hard-working group here who has done quite a bit. I find it inspiring!! Question for you, Roni... how are you pairing your HIM and marathon training? Just curious how you're working it all out. My focus is a June HIM also (Victoria) and I've been toying with a half mary in March (Mercer Island) but will wait and see how that plays out. And here's a question to throw out to everyone here... I'm doing the Jorge program which has been great to get me on the trainer regularly (not to mention the workouts are much more intense than anything I would have pieced together on my own). Just wrapped up week 2 today. I've been planning on doing the HIM training program from BT, and my 20-week program starts on 2/2. I'll only be about, what, 6 or 7 weeks into Jorge's 14-week plan at that point. Do you think there's a good way to combine Jorge with the HIM training plan? Make Jorge my bike workouts on the days they bikes are scheduled, and add in an extra Jorge biking workout if need be? Biking is my limiter for sure, so I know I need the hours and the focus there. And the weather here in WA doesn't promise to be nice enough for decent outdoor riding for awhile (I need to suck it up and invest in some good rain and cold gear, I know...). Thanks! Cheers to all!

Thanks! I'm using the marathon training plan for my run training and will start the bike/swim portion of a 20 week HIM plan the end of this month. Once I've finished the marathon April 4th, I'll give myself a week off of running and then plug the run portion of the HIM plan back in my schedule. I'm also doing Jorge's program, though not very consistently. He addressed the question of HIM training early in the thread, and suggested that one could substitute the 3rd workout of the week with a long bike ride to build endurance for the distance.

2009-01-02 9:25 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I have a question about biking. I need to adjust my seat height on my bike. What type of angle should your knee be at during both the top and bottom of your pedal rotation. I know that when squatting it is not good for your knees to flex past 90 degrees is that also true on the bike?
2009-01-02 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1882645

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

slow turtle - 2009-01-02 8:33 AM Roni-Those are some great accomplishments! Way to go.

Thanks! Great job on all the commuting last year and the determination to finish your tri even though it was canceled! That's awesome!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30