BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-01-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Master
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
My nutrition fell apart a little bit from what I planned on eating this evening. Whoops. I think I just let myself get too hungry because I got home late and then I was reaching for jelly beans.

Also I need to get a food scale. I have no idea how much meat to log in my nutrition log right now and am just guessing.

For breakfast tomorrow, I have ham and orange sweet peppers and onions. For lunch, it's going to be a tomato, red onion and chicken salad. Fruit and baby carrots are snacks. I'm going to be very popular with my co-workers with the onions.

2009-01-05 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

This is just for me now, but what I discovered was it wasn't the meat that was killing me...it was everything that went with it...white potatoes, white bread...and foods containing processed sugar.  So I cut out the white and went with fiber cereal, yogurt, fruit for breakfast, a big salad for lunch and a moderate meal for supper with meat, a sweet potato and veggies.  Snacks were limited at first to the usual carrots and veggies and things like that.  But I discovered sugar free pudding and even sugar free angel food cake.  The stuff has 6 servings at 60 cals a piece.  Have one or two alone or add strawberries that are OK on WW and even sugar free whipped creme if you have the left over points and its a great snack. 

Getting off the sugar roller coaster over the first couple of weeks really helped get the appetite under control. 

Also I have to remember the WATER.  The more water, the less uncontrolled eating, I found. 

Why do I run?  Class?  I run to EAT!  Why do I swim?  To EAT!  Why do I ride the bike?  To EAT!  At least, that's part of the reason.  Good luck to everyone this week.  From what I see, you are all terrific!

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-06 7:42 AM
2009-01-06 1:35 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Hi everyone! I fell short of my goal last week, which was to do something aerobic 6 of the 7 days, but I only did 2. Bummer. The funny thing is that I'm almost more disciplined to train when I'm working because it is a scheduled part of my day, from 3 to 5 in the afternoon. On days off work, I tend to continually put it off throughout the day until it gets to be too late.

So, this week's goal: 3 days of aerobic activity (minimum) but 6 days ideally.

I actually was able to get away from weighing myself, which for me is a good thing. When I was really in the throes of the whole eating disorder thing, I would weigh myself as much as ten times a day. It got ridiculous. This time last year I was weighing once a day or so. When I started getting help for the eating disorder, one of the first things that both my therapist and dietician told me to do was get rid of the scale. This freaked me out. I've weighed myself just about every day since I was nine years old. It was really hard and for about two months I would just obsess about it. Now, things are better. I had gone about six months without weighing myself. I then went through a weak period where I did it a few times this fall, but am back off of it now. For me the problem is that my entire mood and state of mind hung on that number, which was bad. So, I've broken that habit...for now. But it's hard sometimes!

2009-01-06 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1886962

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

oshunluvah - 2009-01-05 6:16 PM well, i feel a bit overwhelmed reading of everyone's individual successes and goals but you're all very inspiring so thank you.  I feel like a complete lightweight next to all of you but I can only be where I am right now so, it's okay with me.  I finally got myself into the pool yesterday for the first time thanks to alot of mental prodding and two dear friends who swim like fish and love the water.  My goal was to work on just getting comfortable with the water, I do not swim well and I have real fear about this event so I'm taking baby steps.  I actually stayed in for 45 minutes and was in motion for just about all of it.  Not swimming always but at the very least treading water in the deep end.  This is huge for me and I will go back tomorrow.  Another success for me is that I am increasing my running (from 3 miles to 5) as of this morning and I will definitely increase this distance with each run.  Time is a huge factor and weather here is snow and ice so I'm not only forced to use the gym but driving to it can be treacherous.  Yes, that's whining that you hear.  Cycling is the ignored stepchild right now; I'm very good at long distance cycling and am not stressed about coming up to speed quickly but I need to put it into the schedule and even out my training.  Enjoy your week!Smile

Aloha Cindy,

you are no light weight dear lady. The effort and success or otherwise is all relevant. If a millionaire gives you $5 it's not much of an effort but if a homeless person gives you $5 it is likely nearly all they have. You have put in a wonderful effort and your determination is an inspiration to us whether we be great or small. Thank you. (Especially your inspiring first dip in the pool. With a name like ocean lover you'll be open water swimming in no time! I'm a real baby in the open water?!??)

Nice to see the running up to and you feel happy letting the bike ride (forgive the pun for now) but it worth remembering that even though biking can't replace running it is an excellent conditioner for it. (Just a thought - indoor trainer worth its weight in gold! Almost)

Take care

2009-01-06 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Hello all!

Speaking of sugar free pudding... I am a HUGE fan of the banana eclair sugar free pudding... it is delicious and a great snack for when you are craving something 'sweet' 

I fell short of last week's goals in that I didn't get a single swim in.  I am dissapointed because swimming is my weakest event so I need as much practice as possible but I just couldn't motivate myself to get in the water.

This week however is MUCH better (so far!).  I swam yesterday and today and I felt SO good in the water!!!  I was a bit tired towards the end of both swims (my arms were mostly feeling tired) but I felt like I really had my breathing, kicking, and stroke down.  Right now I am working on the 0-1650 swim plan (week 1) and so far, so good 

Here are my goals for the week:

Monday:  Swim 700 (done)
Tuesday: Swim 700 (done), Run 3 miles
Wednesday: Bike 6 miles
Thursday: Swim 700, Run 3 miles
Friday: Rest Day (probably some core work though)
Saturday: Run 4 miles
Sunday: Bike 8 miles

I hope that everybody has had a great start to the week!!!

2009-01-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1888394

User image

Master
IceManScott - 2009-01-05 10:25 PM

This is just for me now, but what I discovered was it wasn't the meat that was killing me...it was everything that went with it...white potatoes, white bread...and foods containing processed sugar. 

I'm working to really cut down on the high-fructose corn syrup and aspartame. Soda right now is my biggest vice. It is really difficult for me to give it up. But they say it takes 8-10 tries for a smoker to quit, so I know if I keep plugging along I can do it.

I generally TRY to follow the paleo diet. I can't eat gluten (wheat, rye, barley or oats) for medical reasons. But there is still plenty of junk food: chocolate, nachos, regular soda, candy, etc.

I'd like to know how much meat I'm eating for calorie-counting purposes.

Edited by Offthegrid 2009-01-06 7:42 AM

2009-01-06 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1888163

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Offthegrid - 2009-01-06 1:57 AM My nutrition fell apart a little bit from what I planned on eating this evening. Whoops. I think I just let myself get too hungry because I got home late and then I was reaching for jelly beans. Also I need to get a food scale. I have no idea how much meat to log in my nutrition log right now and am just guessing. For breakfast tomorrow, I have ham and orange sweet peppers and onions. For lunch, it's going to be a tomato, red onion and chicken salad. Fruit and baby carrots are snacks. I'm going to be very popular with my co-workers with the onions.

Hey! You & me. Having a horror of a day fuel wise. It's freezing here and in the office to. Just a thought for all really. I heard on a podcast yesterday, an old Zen and the Art of Triathlon one that when we are tired or have had less sleep than normal we a suceptable to eating more. Does this ring bells for anyone else? Just curious.

Well I'm sitting on a radiator now trying to warm up that will help to stop me being hungry and stuffing myself.

Day started off bad anyway today. Heel sore and no warm water in gym so I couldn't go swimming as it was closed. Ah well I resolve to make the rest of the day a triathlon success.

Good luck to all today.

2009-01-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1888775

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Offthegrid - 2009-01-06 1:41 PM
IceManScott - 2009-01-05 10:25 PM

This is just for me now, but what I discovered was it wasn't the meat that was killing me...it was everything that went with it...white potatoes, white bread...and foods containing processed sugar. 

I'm working to really cut down on the high-fructose corn syrup and aspartame. Soda right now is my biggest vice. It is really difficult for me to give it up. But they say it takes 8-10 tries for a smoker to quit, so I know if I keep plugging along I can do it. I generally TRY to follow the paleo diet. I can't eat gluten (wheat, rye, barley or oats) for medical reasons. But there is still plenty of junk food: chocolate, nachos, regular soda, candy, etc. I'd like to know how much meat I'm eating for calorie-counting purposes.

Just wondering about paleo nutrition. Any good links anyone. I'm vegitarian to, does that hinder it? I dont fancy being vegan, but if I thought it was a step forward for mankind I'd give it a go.

2009-01-06 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I've been thinking about looking into paleonutrition for awhile now, but have never gotten around to it before...thanks for posting about it. I thought this was a good link:

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

I've been very, very, interested in the development and migrations of the human species for many years now, so the idea of a reconstruction of our "original" diet has always appealed to me. I do eat a lot of poultry and a fair amount of fish. Lots of nuts and berries. Probably not enough red meat, organ meats, or root veggies, though, to pass for a Paleolithic human. And no grain is a non-starter for me...I don't eat anything that isn't whole grain, but that's way too hard to eliminate for me.
2009-01-06 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha all,

now I got the dates for races sorted out for the year I wondered what you guys thought about my training plans.

I will carry on with the 'couch to sprint' plan which will finish about 13 days before my March 28 Sprint. Then I thought (LOL like I think a lot) a week off and the 21 week Intemediate Olympic would culminate in my fissrt attempt at an Oly Aug 15.

Now I know that seems like a bit of a step up but I have previously handled 12 hrs a week no prob and can bike the distances no prob. The doubts would be can I handle the swims especially open water and will my PF heel in time. (Oh and will my weight allow me to beat the cut off - wishing I didn't suck at swimming so that cut offs were not such a challange)

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know it will be ambitious and really I need to stay injury free to succeed at all.

2009-01-06 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

I'm going to respond to a few things here ...

"If a millionaire gives you $5 it's not much of an effort but if a homeless person gives you $5 it is likely nearly all they have. You have put in a wonderful effort and your determination is an inspiration to us whether we be great or small."

Paul, that is so, so very true and I hope we can all remember this.

"Right now I am working on the 0-1650 swim plan (week 1) and so far, so good.

Amber, I did the 0 to 1650 and it's a great little plan.  You might struggle a bit at first, but after a week or two, the plan will fall apart because you will most likely jump right up to 1650.  Really, it gets easy ... fast!  That's good, no?

"Soda right now is my biggest vice."

Susie, I'd like to offer this  ... I grew up with a mom that LIVED on Tab, and then Diet Coke.  Always in the house, and always acceptable for the kids to drink.  It was part of growing up, and I really regret that because I was hooked.  However, I wanted to stop drinking it out of habit, and the cold turkey switch to straight water wasn't realistic.   What I did was switch to sparkling water like Perrier and San Peligrino.  Turns out it wasn't so much the soda I craved, it was the bubbles.  Might be different for you or anybody else, but the carbonation is what did it for me, and now all I ever drink is water, sparkling water or club soda.  I do have Diet Coke every now and then, but now it's *maybe* once a month instead of a six pack a day.  Give it a thought.  I prefer San Peligrino now because it's not as carbonated as Perrier, but Perrier has lime and lemon flavors that might make a transition easier.  My two cents ...

And now my thought/question of the day:  With all due respect and admiration, what's the big hurry here to complete an Iron Man or Half IM?  Looks like a lot of us are simply trying very hard to make healthy lifestyle changes and to increase overall fitness, but I've also noticed some seriously lofty goals in what, to me, seems like a pretty short time period of a year or two.  Type-A personality issues aside, what's the rush?

For me, I'm thrilled at the sprint level and while I'd love to *one day* be able to say I did a half IM, I realize that I just don't and most likely won't have the time to train for that any time soon.  An hour to an hour and a half a day during the week, give or take, is just about all I can spare away from family and work.  With that, my only real goal is to sustain the regimen and get better at sprints and oly distances.

I guess the point I'm trying to make and the question I'm trying to ask is, are the longer distances to lofty for now?  Can they be a set up for failure?  Are they too big of a step?  Again, I mean zero disrespect and realize that everybody is different.  Some can make that jump sooner than others, but for me at 37 years old and just getting back into exercise after at least 10 years of little more than mowing the lawn on the weekends, the longer distances aren't even on my radar.

There are some really great starts here (!!!) and I don't want to be a buzz-killer, but I also would dread hearing a year or so down the line something to the effect of, "Well, I don't have the time and I can't get to the distances I need, so I'm gonna hang it up." 

I don't know ... I just hope that you all succeed in reaching your goals and are happy with yourselves, and I would hate to see anyone tripped up along the way because of a perceived failure to reach "the ultimate triathlon goal".   To me, the ultimate goal is to stay fit and stay happy with myself and have some fun along the way.  If HIM or IM happens, so be it. 

2009-01-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1888145

User image

Veteran
thanks Susie!  My goal is to get in the pool 3-4 x's/week - let's see if I can sustain that (the head games wreak havoc).  I will check out the Total Immersion book, thanks for the tip on that and youtube.  I'm paying attention to all help that comes my way.
2009-01-06 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1888629

User image

Veteran
Jocelyn - first of all congrats on throwing the scale away.  It has a very subtle way of really damaging people's psyches because we live in such a youth/beauty obsessed nation.  Second, try changing your day-off workout to first thing in the a.m.  For me, if I don't do the exercise 1st thing, other stuff gets in the way and it becomes easy to not do it.  I figure I'm putting myself first by working on me before anyone or anything else gets to me.  Plus, it gives me the energy I need to muscle through the day to day life stuff.  Good luck!
2009-01-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1889270

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Poster Nutbag - 2009-01-06 4:45 PM

And now my thought/question of the day:  With all due respect and admiration, what's the big hurry here to complete an Iron Man or Half IM?  Looks like a lot of us are simply trying very hard to make healthy lifestyle changes and to increase overall fitness, but I've also noticed some seriously lofty goals in what, to me, seems like a pretty short time period of a year or two.  Type-A personality issues aside, what's the rush?

...I don't know ... I just hope that you all succeed in reaching your goals and are happy with yourselves, and I would hate to see anyone tripped up along the way because of a perceived failure to reach "the ultimate triathlon goal".   To me, the ultimate goal is to stay fit and stay happy with myself and have some fun along the way.  If HIM or IM happens, so be it. 

LOL I agree with your comments 100%. I can only speak for myself. I first set the goal of doing and IM some 22 years ago sitting on a beach on the big island looking out to breaching whales about 250 yds off shore. I made a lot of goals and a few dreams that day.

To date I have reached all goals and still have two dreams to achieve. When I set it I did not realise how big an IM was how much time is needed to achieve it or that you have to qualify to get to Kona. (I know I am dumb)

The Dream has changed from Kona IM to IM but that's because I can't control how others perform and so guarantee I get to Kona but I can control if I do an IM or not. I am now at a time in my life where my family have ALL agreed I can take the time (I mean years) to go for this dream. I may very well regret itI know LOL) and so that is why the goals are in there. If all does not go to plan I have the luxuary of being able to put it off a year or two or three.

This is no longer a dream really but now a goal. Not everyones goals are the same but it does seem to be like a torch burning for many. I'm not sure why. But I agree that like most goals and dreams it is often the journey that is more significant than the destination.

I hope and wish that for all who have similar goals they remember that the journey is more important than the destination and the real winners just keep on tri-ing. They are the real winners not the ones that give up.

2009-01-06 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1889270

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2009-01-06 8:45 AM

For me, I'm thrilled at the sprint level and while I'd love to *one day* be able to say I did a half IM, I realize that I just don't and most likely won't have the time to train for that any time soon.  An hour to an hour and a half a day during the week, give or take, is just about all I can spare away from family and work.  With that, my only real goal is to sustain the regimen and get better at sprints and oly distances.

I guess the point I'm trying to make and the question I'm trying to ask is, are the longer distances to lofty for now?  Can they be a set up for failure?  Are they too big of a step?  Again, I mean zero disrespect and realize that everybody is different.  Some can make that jump sooner than others, but for me at 37 years old and just getting back into exercise after at least 10 years of little more than mowing the lawn on the weekends, the longer distances aren't even on my radar.

Totally appropriate questions to raise. I've been pretty reluctant to even consider an IM, mostly because I've been concerned about whether my left arch and ankle can handle it. There are a lot of folks, it's fair to say, who identify "triathlon" with "Kona" and won't be satisfied until they've at least taken a shot at an Ironman race. I'd never really been very aware of triathlon in the past...let alone Kona...so I don't have any emotional attachment to doing an IM. But, at this point, having had a reasonably successful 1st HIM and with my wife doing an independent HIM which also offers an IM the same day, it just seemed like time to give it a shot. Everyone has different standards to help them decide when (if ever) to "go long"...for some people, though, it may be entirely emotional and subjective (and passion, let's face it, can breed determination which breeds success).

Having said all that, the IM and HIM distances aren't for everyone, that's for sure. You've got to be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for a half and possibly upwards of a grand for an IM (assuming no gear upgrades...hah!). And then there's the training. I had one of my biggest weeks ever last week...over 10 hours and 125 miles S/B/R...and that is going to have to become a normal week by June.

Now, if you are just in for finishing...and are willing to recouperate for a while afterwards...then 17 hours is a long time and if you spend 90 min. on the swim, 8 hrs on the bike and 7.5 hrs walking the marathon, you can finish an IM by the midnight cutoff while being undertrained. Some folks may, frankly, go down that path...and that's their choice, of course. I'm planning to compete the distance, so I have to own up to the training commitment and all that that entails.

I should say, though, that the HIM isn't so enormous an undertaking. If you can ride 50 miles/run 15 miles/swim 2000 yds a week on average during your main training phase and get in appropriate long rides and runs during your peak phase, you'll be more than adequately prepared. And it is an achievement that will be as far as a lot of people need to go with their tri experience.

One last thought re setting oneself up for failure: That is absolutely a possibility in fitness endeavors, including weightloss. The idea of "getting it all back right away" can intrude and that has to be guarded against. You guys will probably notice I occasional mention that I dieted and lost some weight before I started serious exercise (and I ran regularly for a full year before attempting a race). I definitely think it's important to see all this activity as a longterm process with milestones along the way and not a march toward a single goal. YMMV...

Good stuff, Morgan, thanks.
2009-01-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1888697

User image

Veteran
paul, good puns!  yes, my username is an inside joke that makes me smile Wink and thanks for your thoughts on the trainer.  I actually have one but I'm bored to tears riding on it and I have a tough time fitting it someplace in my house that works for me.  The gym has the bikes so I'll be using those until probably March when the streets are safer (snow and sand) for riding.  That is when I will get serious with the bike and put in some long distances.  For now I will throw in a ride or two/week so that I can feed my addiction to the running improvement on other days.  Addictions are so tough to break...

2009-01-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1889527

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
oshunluvah - 2009-01-06 10:02 AM

paul, good puns!  yes, my username is an inside joke that makes me smile Wink

"Ocean" and "Oshun" (like from West Africa)? I was wondering about that, actually, now that you've mentioned it...
2009-01-06 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Goals and timing are great topics.

For one thing, younger folks can delay all they want.  They have the time.  I don't.  

I don't know about other people and why they do things, but I know about me.  I was 54 when I started losing weight again this time with a difference from all the times before - I wanted to change lifestyle to emphasize fitness.   Longevity runs in my family.  My mom is 90, and two of her four sisters are alive and in their upper 80s; dad was just shy of 83 when he died and his twin brother is 92.  I did not want to be immobile as I got older.   

Add in the mix the fact I just beat cancer at age 56.  If that doesn't motivate you to go for it in all aspects of your life, to go "all in" and play the life game with zeal, nothing will. I'm so alive now.  I want to celebrate it. 

I've ridden nearly 24,000 miles since 2005.  I was in pretty good shape when I started running and swimming in August and September to bust through the plateau I was on at a 40 inch waist.  Now at a 36 waist, I'm feeling strong, I can ride well over 100 miles, I can swim over a mile and I can already run non stop an hour, which probably is nearly 10K.  With those facts and the addition of a highly supportive wife on my life team, what should my goals be?  A sprint and an olympic should be highly doable.  To stretch myself in 2009, it would seem a half IM and maybe a marathon, too, by the end of the year don't seem too much.  But, if I don't do that until next year, what the heck?  

An Ironman down the road?  Maybe so.  I like the tattoo.  It would also be something definitive to underscore the changes anyone can make if they want them badly enough. It would send the message to large people, people with cancer, recovering alcoholics/addicts and just plain ordinary unathletic Joes and Janes, they can do it too.  That's worth any pain to me.

But, whether I do an IM or not, it isn't want matters.  Goals only are as good as our commitment to reach them.  If I get it done, great.  If not, if I stop at half IM distances and have fun doing just those and shorter ones, that would suit me fine.   I feel like a 15 year old on Saturday morning most days.   That's enough payoff for me.  The joy is in the journey.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-06 1:06 PM
2009-01-06 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

"I like the tattoo."

And there you have it, folks!  

2009-01-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1889727

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
IceManScott - 2009-01-06 2:04 PM

Goals only are as good as our commitment to reach them. 

I love it... you could not have a statement that is more true. 

2009-01-06 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Morgan,

I've always *wanted* to do an IM since I was about 12, but just resigned that I'd always be too fat to do it. Now I have lost 50 lbs. more or less and I see that it could be possible to lose enough to finish an IM in the time limit.

I also kinda wistfully thought that it'd be nice to do before I have kids. And then I met my (now) best friend and training partner, and she wants to do Lake Placid in 2010. I originally thought maybe 2011 or 2012. I think if I can get my diet together, it *might* be possible. Maybe. I have until July 27 this year to decide, I guess, but even if I can't do it in 2010, then I will go to cheer her on. Or I could do a non m-dot race that's flatter.

2009-01-06 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I've also wondered about why people seem so quick to jump up to the longer distance races. I really want to do them to, but don't see it happening for a long time. I'm enjoying sprints and maybe in season 4 I'll consider upping it to an oly.
2009-01-07 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1889783

User image

Master
Poster Nutbag - 2009-01-06 2:21 PM

"I like the tattoo."

And there you have it, folks!  

Thanks for the laugh this morning - that's awesome.

BTW, I hope to do IM much later in life also. Maybe when I'm 68 I could qualify for Kona just by finishing. But I also hope to travel to Outer Space before I die, too, so ...
2009-01-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1891229

User image

Master
sealiongirl - 2009-01-06 11:28 PM

I've also wondered about why people seem so quick to jump up to the longer distance races. I really want to do them to, but don't see it happening for a long time. I'm enjoying sprints and maybe in season 4 I'll consider upping it to an oly.

I can't really explain. When I did a 5K, I wanted to do a 10K. When I did a 10K, I wanted to do a half-marathon. And when I do, I'm sure then I'll want to do the full marathon. Similarly, when I did 50 miles on the bike, I wanted to do 75. But I can't really say why I want to run or bike farther rather than focusing on faster.
2009-01-07 10:44 AM

User image

Master
anyone watch Biggest Loser last night? Interesting that they have heavier contestants on this season than ever before.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45