BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-07 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2599665

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
I have limited circulation in my hands and feet as they are ALWAYS cold, even sitting at home.  However, what I've found is when I wear fleece socks I can run down to 5 degrees and my feel are toasty.  This assumes it is dry outside and no puddle splashing.

amd723 - 2010-01-07 7:04 AM Like the rest of the country, Florida has been having crazy cold (at least for us) weather for the past week. I must say that I have a new respect for those of you who routinely work out in freezing weather. With layering, I've been able to keep myself warm enough to avoid listening to the little voice in my head that tells me I should stay in my nice warm bed and leave running to another day! However, I have not been able to figure out how to keep my toes from freezing. Do any of you cold weather people have any tricks or products that you'd like to share?Thanks,Ann-Marie

2010-01-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2599097

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

SSMinnow - 2010-01-06 8:30 PM Can I share what finally arrived?  It only took a year of looking to find a company that could build one small enough...hope to be riding it by February 1st!

I like it! Now you are giving me anxiety about when the heck mine is going to get here.  I went to a bike shop 90 minutes from home to work with a FIST certified guy there and have been happy although I get a  little nervous when they tell me that my bike is out of stock (none in the country he says) and will not be here until 1.5 months after I ordered it.  The Bikesport fiasco had (has) me on edge but they have not charged my credit card for anything to this point so not too concerned...ok just a little bit. If it was the middle of the summer I would be going crazy but ok for now since I am locked in the basement.

What size is that frame anyway?

Ryan

2010-01-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2599665

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
amd723 - 2010-01-07 7:04 AM Like the rest of the country, Florida has been having crazy cold (at least for us) weather for the past week. I must say that I have a new respect for those of you who routinely work out in freezing weather. With layering, I've been able to keep myself warm enough to avoid listening to the little voice in my head that tells me I should stay in my nice warm bed and leave running to another day! However, I have not been able to figure out how to keep my toes from freezing. Do any of you cold weather people have any tricks or products that you'd like to share?Thanks,Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie,
1st you can use trail shoes if you can get your hands on them.  Most are made with Gore-Tex weather-proofing materials to keep the moisture out.  That would help with the cold factor since your feet/toes can be kept relatively dry.  The other thing I would suggest is that you get some "WrightSock" socks.  I love using them for tri's because they are essentially two socks in one.  The inner layer sock stays in contact with your feet, and the outer layer sock stays in contact with your shoe.  As a result you don't get blisters that are associated with moisture and rubbing when running.  As an added benefit, I've found, they provide a really good insulating layer for cold weather running.

I hope this helps...

eddie
2010-01-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2600026

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
The good news is they haven't charged your credit card.  What did you order?

I went through my own personal hell finding a company that could build a carbon frame small enough (try two years) and then waiting for it to be built.  Fitter called me this morning to let me know every measurement was 100% accurate. 

I have no idea how to determine the frame size since it is custom.  I do know they have built only one bike smaller than mine.  That girl must be a real runt!

rymac - 2010-01-07 9:27 AM

SSMinnow - 2010-01-06 8:30 PM Can I share what finally arrived?  It only took a year of looking to find a company that could build one small enough...hope to be riding it by February 1st!

I like it! Now you are giving me anxiety about when the heck mine is going to get here.  I went to a bike shop 90 minutes from home to work with a FIST certified guy there and have been happy although I get a  little nervous when they tell me that my bike is out of stock (none in the country he says) and will not be here until 1.5 months after I ordered it.  The Bikesport fiasco had (has) me on edge but they have not charged my credit card for anything to this point so not too concerned...ok just a little bit. If it was the middle of the summer I would be going crazy but ok for now since I am locked in the basement.

What size is that frame anyway?

Ryan

2010-01-07 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2600057

User image

Master
Orlando
thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like we may actually have snow at the start of my 1/2 mary Saturday - I'm told that hasn't snowed in Orlando in over 30 years! So, I will definitely need to work on keeping my feet warm.
2010-01-08 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2601696

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

amd723 - 2010-01-07 8:49 PM thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like we may actually have snow at the start of my 1/2 mary Saturday - I'm told that hasn't snowed in Orlando in over 30 years! So, I will definitely need to work on keeping my feet warm.

Since you probably do not run in the cold much...make sure your layers are lightweight.  You will definitely notice a difference with multiple heavy layers especially on a long run like a half marathon.  Under Armour or other similar base layers with a light wind jacket work well.  You may be a touch cold the first 2 miles or so but you will be very comfortable after that.  Good Luck to you!

Ryan

2010-01-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2602258

User image

Master
Orlando
Thanks for the advise and good wishes.  I know i will have to avoid the temptation of over-dressing and keep reminding myself that once i get going all will be well.  I'm really just hoping that our "snow" will not actually be rain, that would make for a less than enjoyable morning!
2010-01-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

I like to use Wigman Light Hiking socks for cross country skiing and running outside in colder temps.  Asics also makes a nice gortex trail shoe that keeps my feet comfortable.  I always dress to feel cold when I start.

Another question for Steve:

What percentage of bike workouts should be intervals in higher HR zones versus steady rides in lower HR zones?  I want to ride 3 times per week.

Thanks!

2010-01-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2600026

User image

Master
Small Town
rymac - 2010-01-07 10:27 AM

The Bikesport fiasco had (has) me on edge but they have not charged my credit card for anything to this point so not too concerned...ok just a little bit. If it was the middle of the summer I would be going crazy but ok for now since I am locked in the basement.

Ryan

Yeah, I ordered my bike from "BS" about a year ago this month and it took WAY longer to get it in.  I'd be extremely frustrated!!  Ryan - why aren't you on the RACING GREYHOUNDS Team?
2010-01-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2603122

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

JHagerman - 2010-01-08 12:38 PM

The Bikesport fiasco had (has) me on edge but they have not charged my credit card for anything to this point so not too concerned...ok just a little bit. If it was the middle of the summer I would be going crazy but ok for now since I am locked in the basement.

Ryan

Yeah, I ordered my bike from "BS" about a year ago this month and it took WAY longer to get it in.  I'd be extremely frustrated!!  Ryan - why aren't you on the RACING GREYHOUNDS Team?

I remember you saying it took a long time to get your bike.  A lot of people were saying he was using down payments from new orders to pay for bikes people ordered 6 months prior to get some cash flow going..that backfired.  I just hope that little trick is not common place with other LBS around the country.

I would have looked into it but it is clear across the state and I rarely race or train over there.  It looks like a good group though.

Ryan

2010-01-08 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2603866

User image

Master
Small Town
Nope, not commonplace - in fact, that's why Cervelo pulled out of BSMI, those practices violated their Terms of Service.

The big thing about the Greyhounds is the camaraderie that you get along the way.  Some great deals on bikes and components and free raceday nutrition (pre and post). Race day tune ups and on and on.  The team supports races al over and you are encouraged to try other forms of racing as well, CX, MTB...  Anyway - maybe next year we'll get you on the team

rymac - 2010-01-08 5:04 PM

JHagerman - 2010-01-08 12:38 PM

Ryan

I remember you saying it took a long time to get your bike.  A lot of people were saying he was using down payments from new orders to pay for bikes people ordered 6 months prior to get some cash flow going..that backfired.  I just hope that little trick is not common place with other LBS around the country.

I would have looked into it but it is clear across the state and I rarely race or train over there.  It looks like a good group though.

Ryan

2010-01-08 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Brought my camera to the pool today in hopes of getting a kind hearted stranger to film a lap for me.  During my 40 minute swim, the only people in the pool area were a salesman and the guy he was trying to sell a membership to.  They literally walked through, 15 seconds max.

I tried to concentrate on keeping my elbows high in the water, EVF I believe the facebook video calls it.  I could really feel the difference.  Even now, my upper arms feel like they actually got a workout in today.

I like it.
2010-01-08 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2604209

User image

Elite
Chicago
ha ha ha.  well maybe you can pay your next door neighbor. 

DTraitor - 2010-01-08 8:08 PM Brought my camera to the pool today in hopes of getting a kind hearted stranger to film a lap for me.  During my 40 minute swim, the only people in the pool area were a salesman and the guy he was trying to sell a membership to.  They literally walked through, 15 seconds max.

I tried to concentrate on keeping my elbows high in the water, EVF I believe the facebook video calls it.  I could really feel the difference.  Even now, my upper arms feel like they actually got a workout in today.

I like it.
2010-01-09 1:09 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
I hope Ann Marie had a better day then it is down in Ft Myers. Rained since 5 am staying 37 just miserable. Looks like a day for the treadmill. Oh well wanted to ride today that doesnt look to happen either guess I will be bringing my bike to work with me to ride there. Then get an early Mon ride. Not wishing I lived up North for anything now maybe in the summer, guess that is why all the birds come South. lol
2010-01-09 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2604939

User image

Master
Orlando
We were a bit colder in Disney then you were in Ft. Meyers. Snow flurries and freezing ran for the start of the race. Around mile 11 that turned into rain. I warmed up enough during the race itself for none of that to be a problem, but as soon as I stopped running it was absolutely miserable! Really felt sorry for the slower runners who started 30 minutes after us and then didn't finish for up to 3 hours =- they had the rain just about the whole way and stayed cold for the entire way - not fun.Ran it slower than I wanted, but Disney generally is too crowded and narrow and winding through the parks to allow you to keep a constant pace, so I managed a 1:54. I was happy to have negative splits.Again thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on how to keep my feet warm - i had no problem keeping them warm.
2010-01-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2605056

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
amd723 - 2010-01-09 3:06 PM We were a bit colder in Disney then you were in Ft. Meyers. Snow flurries and freezing ran for the start of the race. Around mile 11 that turned into rain. I warmed up enough during the race itself for none of that to be a problem, but as soon as I stopped running it was absolutely miserable! Really felt sorry for the slower runners who started 30 minutes after us and then didn't finish for up to 3 hours =- they had the rain just about the whole way and stayed cold for the entire way - not fun.Ran it slower than I wanted, but Disney generally is too crowded and narrow and winding through the parks to allow you to keep a constant pace, so I managed a 1:54. I was happy to have negative splits.Again thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on how to keep my feet warm - i had no problem keeping them warm.

Terrific job and a negative split to boot!  Hopefull you are toasty warm now!
Suzy

2010-01-09 3:21 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
amd723 - 2010-01-09 1:06 PM We were a bit colder in Disney then you were in Ft. Meyers. Snow flurries and freezing ran for the start of the race. Around mile 11 that turned into rain. I warmed up enough during the race itself for none of that to be a problem, but as soon as I stopped running it was absolutely miserable! Really felt sorry for the slower runners who started 30 minutes after us and then didn't finish for up to 3 hours =- they had the rain just about the whole way and stayed cold for the entire way - not fun.Ran it slower than I wanted, but Disney generally is too crowded and narrow and winding through the parks to allow you to keep a constant pace, so I managed a 1:54. I was happy to have negative splits.Again thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on how to keep my feet warm - i had no problem keeping them warm.

Awesome job, Ann Marie! One of my main goals this year is to negative split one of my running races (standalone or tri).  Nice that you could do it when the weather got worse as the race went on!  Way to go

Edited by kt65 2010-01-09 5:58 PM
2010-01-09 3:24 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Wow!  Very impressive.

Great motivation for the group.

amd723 - 2010-01-09 3:06 PM We were a bit colder in Disney then you were in Ft. Meyers. Snow flurries and freezing ran for the start of the race. Around mile 11 that turned into rain. I warmed up enough during the race itself for none of that to be a problem, but as soon as I stopped running it was absolutely miserable! Really felt sorry for the slower runners who started 30 minutes after us and then didn't finish for up to 3 hours =- they had the rain just about the whole way and stayed cold for the entire way - not fun.Ran it slower than I wanted, but Disney generally is too crowded and narrow and winding through the parks to allow you to keep a constant pace, so I managed a 1:54. I was happy to have negative splits.Again thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on how to keep my feet warm - i had no problem keeping them warm.
2010-01-09 4:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
amd723 - 2010-01-09 4:06 PM We were a bit colder in Disney then you were in Ft. Meyers. Snow flurries and freezing ran for the start of the race. Around mile 11 that turned into rain. I warmed up enough during the race itself for none of that to be a problem, but as soon as I stopped running it was absolutely miserable! Really felt sorry for the slower runners who started 30 minutes after us and then didn't finish for up to 3 hours =- they had the rain just about the whole way and stayed cold for the entire way - not fun.Ran it slower than I wanted, but Disney generally is too crowded and narrow and winding through the parks to allow you to keep a constant pace, so I managed a 1:54. I was happy to have negative splits.Again thanks to everyone who gave me ideas on how to keep my feet warm - i had no problem keeping them warm.

Congratulations.   Great results for the conditions.  Even just going at all is great!
2010-01-09 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2605208

User image

Master
Orlando
Thanks to everyone for their kind words of congratulations!
2010-01-10 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Nothing worse than a cold wet race. Congratulations on very nice race!!

2010-01-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2590655

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Steve- - 2010-01-03 11:43 AM Ok everyone.  I am going to offer up to everyone a swim stroke "review" for just the people in our mentor group.  The month of January tends to be a bit slower for me so I will commit to you that if anyone gets to me a video of them swimming by January 15th I will take a few moments to look it over and give you feedback.  You can either email me the video, FTP the video to me, or send snail mail to me.

Anyone interested just be sure I get the file by 1/15 so I can have time to review it.

I got a video onto YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOfMoe22n8  This kind stranger agreed to one lap, but must have thought A Lap was one length.  I found it humorous.

Is there a different way you'd prefer?  I don't know what FTP is, or an e-mail address to use.  Thanks for offering this.

Dustin
2010-01-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2605795

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
DTraitor - 2010-01-10 10:43 AM
Steve- - 2010-01-03 11:43 AM Ok everyone.  I am going to offer up to everyone a swim stroke "review" for just the people in our mentor group.  The month of January tends to be a bit slower for me so I will commit to you that if anyone gets to me a video of them swimming by January 15th I will take a few moments to look it over and give you feedback.  You can either email me the video, FTP the video to me, or send snail mail to me.

Anyone interested just be sure I get the file by 1/15 so I can have time to review it.

I got a video onto YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nOfMoe22n8  This kind stranger agreed to one lap, but must have thought A Lap was one length.  I found it humorous.

Is there a different way you'd prefer?  I don't know what FTP is, or an e-mail address to use.  Thanks for offering this.

Dustin

It's just a good thing she didn't trip and fall into the water Surprised
2010-01-10 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

1st brick today.  3 hours on trainer doing Madison tape then 33 min run outside.  Legs still felt like they were cycling when I was done running.  Wierd.

2010-01-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2606090

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

knewbike - 2010-01-10 2:55 PM

1st brick today.  3 hours on trainer doing Madison tape then 33 min run outside.  Legs still felt like they were cycling when I was done running.  Wierd.

Thats a heck of a first brick!  How did you like the Madison tape?  I got it for christmas and will definitely turn music on for background from now on.  Troy Jacobson commentary was a "yawner" to say the least.

3 hours on a trainer must have felt like torture...great job!

Ryan

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21