Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-04-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3472426

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group
mbare - 2011-04-28 7:29 PM

I can relate.  I am a FF in Las Vegas.  I move the workouts around as needed to make sure the plan works for my schedule.  I have a family which comes first and was able to make the 1/2 IM plan work for me and keep everyone happy.  I was VERY happy with how the 1/2 plan worked and am hoping for the same with the full IM plan.

I know with me it's hard to get a w/o in uninterrupted at work, but I do what I can and move on to the next day.  Luckily my Captain is supportive  of my goals.

Nice to see another FF here. What kind of company are you on. Here in Beatrice we do it all with seven people on shift. It is nice to have the flexability to move the workouts around. Hit the first snag of the year today. We had a working fire last night from 21:30 to 01:00 and then several medicals after that. By the time I got all the paperwork done it was 05:00. Up at 06:45, home for 45 minute nap, off to my son's soccer game, home again for a 2 hour nap, off to watch my wife's band sing, then straigt to a memorial for a fallen firefighter and now I'm back at the station filling in for another firefighter. Didn't get my workout in at all. I could have done something first thing this morning but I'm getting too old for 23 1/2 hour days.

2011-05-01 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3052903

I am assigned to a engine/rescue station, so I alternate engine/rescue rotation.  I am able to do my big days on days off.  My wife works and my son is in school, so I schedule long days when I am home alone.  I make the weekends my shorter days and it helps keep everyone happy.  At work I use the treadmill or bike trainer ( I bring from home) and when I get interrupted by calls (which happens all the time) I have invented my own 3 strikes rule.  If while trying to get a w/o in I get interrupted 3 times by tones. I consider the w/o a done deal and move on to the next day.  Depending on how  I feel my training is going I may add some time to days off from the job.  Over the last 3 years since I have adopted this plan, I feel it's worked out good.  If you want to talk more fire dept. related stuff email me at [email protected].
2011-05-01 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3468854

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

brooksborrell - 2011-04-27 10:25 AM I'm sure this question has been asked at some point but I didn't see it when I skimmed the 10 pages, what do the "strides" mean for the running sets?  I'm currently working on changing my running form as it is, trying to get my cadence up and possibly lean a little more forward.  Thanks

Strides means picking up speed to about a tempo pace, or what you would run a 10K in.

2011-05-05 6:19 PM

New user

Hey, quick question.  My ironman is planned for 10 Sep.  Would it be a good idea to try a HIM or Olympic on 6 Aug?  Also, what do you think in general about other races during the season.  I have a half marathon 22 May and an Olympic tri either 26 June or 2 July already scheduled.  Thank you.
2011-05-06 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

Last night after my run I put on a pair of...  Ultra Sheer, Firm Compression, Knee High Stockings. I'll spare you the picture. facebook had fun with it. 

How long should I wear them? all night? I wore them for about 2 hours then took them off to sleep.  They felt great. Today my calves are not mad at me.

2011-05-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3484452

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

erichaas - 2011-05-05 6:19 PM Hey, quick question.  My ironman is planned for 10 Sep.  Would it be a good idea to try a HIM or Olympic on 6 Aug?  Also, what do you think in general about other races during the season.  I have a half marathon 22 May and an Olympic tri either 26 June or 2 July already scheduled.  Thank you.

I prefer that athletes do very little racing while preparing for an IM. It takes away from your training to race because you ened to alter your training plan and take time off to recover.
I would suggest you do your half marathon and the earlier Olympic and that's it. It's one of the HARDEST things for athletes to do while training for an IM because racing can be motivating and break up the monotony of training, but the best thing to do for your best performance on IM day is to focus on making the most of your IM training.

2011-05-09 9:38 AM

Well today is the day.  I am officially starting down the road of my training for my first IM.  Very excited about the whole thing.  I took a few weeks off of structured training after my 1/2 IM and my mind and body say it is TIME to get rolling.  Well be going back and forth between this forum and the IMAZ forum, so hope stay healthy and everyone enjoys the ride, or should I say swim, bike, run.Smile
2011-05-10 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

Todays plan calls for a 90 minute run... So... Today I will run for 90 minutes.

Then put on my hose. Laughing

2011-05-10 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
i think you're liking this hose thing!! pix??lol
2011-05-11 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3489036

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

mbare - 2011-05-09 9:38 AM Well today is the day.  I am officially starting down the road of my training for my first IM.  Very excited about the whole thing.  I took a few weeks off of structured training after my 1/2 IM and my mind and body say it is TIME to get rolling.  Well be going back and forth between this forum and the IMAZ forum, so hope stay healthy and everyone enjoys the ride, or should I say swim, bike, run.Smile

Yay!  Enjoy the journey!

2011-05-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3492550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

isis - 2011-05-10 8:20 PM i think you're liking this hose thing!! pix??lol

It started out as a serious question. How long should I wear them? The hose came from my mother-in-law. She had bad circulation so I got them for free. My sister has since told me that they can't be worn for to long. Now I wear them for the last few hours before sleep.

2011-05-13 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Im on the plan Im 7 week in, has anyone used this plan before and what times did they get...Also my IM in Sept,
2011-05-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3495373

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Detroit Dan - 2011-05-12 9:35 AM

isis - 2011-05-10 8:20 PM i think you're liking this hose thing!! pix??lol

It started out as a serious question. How long should I wear them? The hose came from my mother-in-law. She had bad circulation so I got them for free. My sister has since told me that they can't be worn for to long. Now I wear them for the last few hours before sleep.

I wear them overnight!

2011-05-17 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3498008

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Jorgito22 - 2011-05-13 3:41 PM Im on the plan Im 7 week in, has anyone used this plan before and what times did they get...Also my IM in Sept,

Lots of people have used this plan but their times will in no way give you any indication of what your time will be. We all have different fitness levels when we start. Someone that has never ridden a bike or is very new to triathlon will have a much different time than an experienced athlete, even using the same plan.
This plan has worked for many, many people and it will work for you, too. But your finish time depends on how well you execute the plan and what your current fitness level is. Best of luck to you!

2011-05-18 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
2011-05-20 10:17 PM

New user

So I am doing some research concerning supplements and nutrition.  I was wondering what other people have found works.  I am looking to increase my stamina and get a boost during training like most people.  Also, I am interested in what anyone recommends for post-workout recovery.  I have tried a number of different products, but nothing seems to really stand-out.  I haven't had any problems with anything as far as digestion is concerned either.  Finally, any recommendations to ease some of the joint pain that I figure is normal (I haven't felt too much muscular pain after workouts, just my knees (yes, I am aware about overtraining issues)).  Lastly (maybe), what works for increasing your mental focus during the workouts and to increase your energy levels throughout the rest of the day.  I think the rest of my nutrition is decent and I get enough sleep 8+, bragging, I know.  Thank you.

2011-05-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3510943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

erichaas - 2011-05-20 10:17 PM So I am doing some research concerning supplements and nutrition.  I was wondering what other people have found works.  I am looking to increase my stamina and get a boost during training like most people.  Also, I am interested in what anyone recommends for post-workout recovery.  I have tried a number of different products, but nothing seems to really stand-out.  I haven't had any problems with anything as far as digestion is concerned either.  Finally, any recommendations to ease some of the joint pain that I figure is normal (I haven't felt too much muscular pain after workouts, just my knees (yes, I am aware about overtraining issues)).  Lastly (maybe), what works for increasing your mental focus during the workouts and to increase your energy levels throughout the rest of the day.  I think the rest of my nutrition is decent and I get enough sleep 8+, bragging, I know.  Thank you.

I use GU. Any flavor. Some have caffeine some have none. Also I make sure to start with a full tank. A full 2 days prior to a race I start drinking gallons of Gatorade. Then on race morning I have a Gatorade (prime). So far I have not had any stomach issues.

2011-05-27 9:28 AM

User image

Wanted to say thanks for the advice on training over the last few months!  I finished Ironman Texas last weekend and had a great race - finished in 11:25:38 w/ a top 10% placement!  I definitely plan on doing another one!  Here's a recap I put up on my blog: http://mwilbanks.com/2011/05/ironman-texas-recap/.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!!
2011-05-27 12:06 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

Hello out there!

I am on week 5 of the plan.  I am starting to have forefoot pains with the long runs.  Only 5 weeks to my first full IM.   I still have two more long runs planned.  what should I do?  I feel this is more soreness than injury....but I am paranoid I will get a game breaker before the bid day.

Signed

worry wart

2011-06-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3521647

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

wilbanksmatt - 2011-05-27 9:28 AM Wanted to say thanks for the advice on training over the last few months!  I finished Ironman Texas last weekend and had a great race - finished in 11:25:38 w/ a top 10% placement!  I definitely plan on doing another one!  Here's a recap I put up on my blog: http://mwilbanks.com/2011/05/ironman-texas-recap/.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!!

CONGRATS!! What an awesome time for a first race!! Amazing!

2011-06-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3522009

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
MRGIBBS - 2011-05-27 12:06 PM

Hello out there!

I am on week 5 of the plan.  I am starting to have forefoot pains with the long runs.  Only 5 weeks to my first full IM.   I still have two more long runs planned.  what should I do?  I feel this is more soreness than injury....but I am paranoid I will get a game breaker before the bid day.

Signed

worry wart

So did you start the plan in the middle? I am not surprised to hear your foot is sore if that is the case! You may have ramped up your volume way too quickly. If it's forefoot pain, it could be tendinitis or the beginning of a stress fracture. Usually those are felt on the top of the foot. You should be icing every day. If it continues to get worse, get to the doctor and make sure it isn't anything serious. You may have to miss one of your long runs but that's better than not being able to run at all.

2011-06-09 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3527022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Hello!  I started the beginner plan 13 weeks or so ago.  I didn't know this group existed so I've just been doing it on my own. It's been going pretty well, but I did do one thing incorrectly at the beginning of my planning.  Last year I did many sprints (6) so I had a decent base.  I also did some long distance running last year in prep for a marathon in January so my base was large on the run.

The mistake I made was to modify the run portion of the plan and added the workouts from a run-only plan.  I quickly found out that the mileage was just too much and I couldn't sustain 20 mile runs on the weekend while also doing long bikes.  Fortunately, a really good thread on the Ironman Training forum about "longest run" in an IM plan helped me figure this one out.  I thought getting in anything less than 18-20 miles for the longest run was not desirable.  Seems I was wrong about that.  You can get by with much less run volume for IM training.  Some people are talking about 13 mile being the longest, however, most seem to agree on somewhere between 15 to 17.  Meh, who knew?

Now that this is adjusted, I'm moving along fine.  It's a good plan and excited for the IM in 7 weeks.  I'm doing the Vineman on July 30. 

Also, I'm throwing in an Oly in 10 days or so.  It's not in the plan, but want to do it anyway as a 'tune up' type of race.  Hopefully that won't throw too much of a wrench into the plan.  I always have a struggle with how to modify workout plans when throwing in a race like this.

Best!

-- Enrique

2011-06-19 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3540751

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ecpasos - 2011-06-09 10:27 AM

Hello!  I started the beginner plan 13 weeks or so ago.  I didn't know this group existed so I've just been doing it on my own. It's been going pretty well, but I did do one thing incorrectly at the beginning of my planning.  Last year I did many sprints (6) so I had a decent base.  I also did some long distance running last year in prep for a marathon in January so my base was large on the run.

The mistake I made was to modify the run portion of the plan and added the workouts from a run-only plan.  I quickly found out that the mileage was just too much and I couldn't sustain 20 mile runs on the weekend while also doing long bikes.  Fortunately, a really good thread on the Ironman Training forum about "longest run" in an IM plan helped me figure this one out.  I thought getting in anything less than 18-20 miles for the longest run was not desirable.  Seems I was wrong about that.  You can get by with much less run volume for IM training.  Some people are talking about 13 mile being the longest, however, most seem to agree on somewhere between 15 to 17.  Meh, who knew?

Now that this is adjusted, I'm moving along fine.  It's a good plan and excited for the IM in 7 weeks.  I'm doing the Vineman on July 30. 

Also, I'm throwing in an Oly in 10 days or so.  It's not in the plan, but want to do it anyway as a 'tune up' type of race.  Hopefully that won't throw too much of a wrench into the plan.  I always have a struggle with how to modify workout plans when throwing in a race like this.

Best!

-- Enrique

Thanks for joining in and sharing your experience! It's very hard to race during an IM plan since you have to train long on the weekends and can't waste too much time on race recovery. Sometimes people will race easy and then go out for another long ride right after the race.

Glad you have dialed back the run training. It will make your bike and swim much better!

2011-06-24 10:05 AM

New user

New York
Hello, My name is Warren and I am turning 28 soon. 
I am new to this sport and have not done a triathlon yet. I signed up for the NYC Ironman 2012 
recently..yay! I know it's a huge jump so I am nervous and excited about it, I am looking forward 
to learn more about this sport and start training for it. I ran a marathon last year and have run 
few half marathons so far, just got a triathlon bike recently and plan to start biking more. 
My biggest weakness is in swimming, I can only swim breastroke so far and not very good in 
freestyle, I will need to work on my swimming this summer.

Feel free to send me a message if anyone is looking for a training partner or have 
recommendations about a good Tri club in the city.  Thanks!

2011-06-28 10:50 AM

User image

Elloree, South Carolina
Okay, I am in week 2 of the Beginner Plan in prep for IMFLA. I started building a base  8/10 and am up to 9hr-12hr weeks. I've been trying to build 3 weeks and then back off 1week then repeat to get to where I am today. The volume and distances I am currently doing will take me into August of the plan then ramps up from there. This is my 1st IM and have to trust the plan will get me through it. I may try to do a little more than the plan just for reassurance. I've read where some say it is light on the run and heavy on the swim so I may adjust accordingly. We'll see!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 16