BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Went to the pool today and just did some freestyle swimming focusing on form and breathing. Heart rate felt to be around mind 150's. Tried out the cannondale supersix 5 and the Giant TCR comp. Cannondale had a more aggressive position and the TCR comp was more relaxed and upright. The TCR comp had a more heavy feel to its handling and the Cdale felt pretty racey. Of the two, I would pick the cdale. 

Started looking at training plans more and was thinking of combining the beginner 8 week program and the intermediate 10 week program. I was informed of a cheaper and smaller triathlon a little past the 8 week training program mark, so it will go into the the 10 week program. This event will be a sprint distance. After that I will continue on with the 10 week program to my intended olympic distance tri. 

Is this doing too much in short amount of time? I don't intend to "race" in the sprint tri, it's more just to get my feet wet for the event that I plan to give all in.  

2011-01-15 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3301955

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
When is the sprint?
2011-01-15 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3302065

User image

New user
cpsdad - 2011-01-15 8:55 AM When is the sprint?

The Sprint is on April 17 and the Olympic is June 19. Also considering joining my new running partner in his first Half marathon on march 26. If I did, that I would probably run race pace in. Am I starting to squeeze in too much? 
2011-01-15 10:34 PM

New user

Centennial Colorado
Haven't had much to say as I really am not even a beginnier yet, just a wannabe.  I did a VO2 test a couple of weeks ago and the trainer gave me a series of base builder cardio workouts.  I have been doing these on the treadmill, the bike and in the pool over the past 2 weeks.  They seem very low intensity to me.  Is this OK? Keeping workout in HR Zones 1, 2 and 3 so far. 

I have been to the LBS to get fitted for a bike.  Owner wants to get me out on a couple of test rides, but weather here in Colorado has not been so conducive.  Too much snow to get out on the trails.  The 'excercycle' at the club is horrid.  The spin bikes have no metrics, so I can keep track of heart rate (with my HRM), but not mileage, at least as far as I can tell.  Is there some way to monitor this, or should I just let it go?

Have purchased an FT80 Polar HRM, which I like.  Don't know, however, if it's possible to directly upload infom from this to the traning logs here....can I, or does it matter if I can?

Also, did a 70 minute swim last week.  Discovered that I can actually swim freestyle for this time.  Yipee....used to do this a lot MANY years ago....maybe a bit like riding a bike...hope the biking comes back as well when I finally get one.   How important is it to find an open swim location to practice that prior to a first event. 

I am currently planning to go to the CapTexTri in Austin in the end of May, hoping to do the olympic distance there.   I have never done a Tri, wondering if I should find a sprint closer to home before that to at least try out the transition stuff....thoughts???

I also read "Born to Run" at my sister and my children's recommendations (can you say 'too many cooks'?)  I bought a pair of Nike Frees today...3.0 V2 - suggestions for transition from my current Brooks to these?   Is there somewhere to watch running strides on video - I really have no idea about technique or how I might go about getting this right....up until now I've been doing mostly treadmill walking at about 4 miles an hour and need some idea where to start if I'm going to do outside running at any faster speed. 

Enough questions for now? Thanks for any feedback, Wendy.
2011-01-16 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3302160

User image

Bronze member
Andr3w - 2011-01-15 9:08 PM

The Sprint is on April 17 and the Olympic is June 19. Also considering joining my new running partner in his first Half marathon on march 26. If I did, that I would probably run race pace in. Am I starting to squeeze in too much? 

Just my opinion but here goes: you're plan for the sprint and Oly sounds good. You should have plenty of time to get ready for both of those events. The 1/2 marathon is the only thing that stands out to me. You know yourself best but FOR ME, trying to jump into a 1/2 marathon running plan with the amount of running you have been doing lately would lead to a risk of injury. You have youth on your side though If you look up Hal Higdon's half marathon plan it lays out a 12 week build. If you start this week you have 10 weeks. There is no rush, there will be more 1/2 marathons. Think about what your goals are and focus on those. I get wrapped up in what my friends are training for too. Enthusiasm is contagious. Just stay focused on what is best for you.

2011-01-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3302425

User image

New user
Your right, I don't want another injury from overuse and not enough training time. I also wouldn't be training specifically for a half marathon, it would have been treated as a long run on the weekend training day. Mileage for me is really low right now, but will pick up significantly as I am now getting used to the colder weather and have the proper attire for it. I'll think about it again closer to race day.

2011-01-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3302480

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
This kind of plan was how I hurt myself last year, 1/2 mary to fast. Be careful.
2011-01-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3300559

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
HelenR - 2011-01-14 7:02 PM Hello everyone!! well- drove to London- just over an hr away- and had my bike fitting re-checked- as felt seat was too low. Anyway- sure enough was about 4 cm too low- so same re-adjusted. They applied this grainy substance ( Tacx)- as apparently carbon seat posts are known to slip-and have to be careful I guess as not crank to tight so the carbon doesn't crack. Anyway- as well- they changed my seat- and provided me with a loaner -Adamo road seat- to try. Currently use Selle Italia- find during long distances get sore- esp in aero position. Anyone have any experience with these seats of comments? Have a good weekend. Have a 1hr 40 min run for tomorrow morning- and they care calling for more snow!! -Helen

I had the adamo road on my old tri bike. I felt like it was well designed and comfortable, but only after I drilled the prongs and tied them together (otherwise they chaffed my inner thighs

I like my Fizik Tri2 better, but it was a saddle that saw a lot of miles under me, so if you can get used to it, it should be great!
2011-01-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3300680

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-01-14 9:03 PM

I have a swim planned for tomorrow morning. But it's not your typical swim. It's called "The Big shoulders, 6-pack abs workout" You swim 200(any stroke) get out of the water, do 5 pushups, then 10 situps then jump back in the water and repeat for 60 mins. There's a/g's so top finishers get something. Should be a blast!

That sounds pretty awesome! How'd it go?
2011-01-16 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3302425

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-01-16 9:06 AM
Andr3w - 2011-01-15 9:08 PM

Just my opinion but here goes: you're plan for the sprint and Oly sounds good. You should have plenty of time to get ready for both of those events. The 1/2 marathon is the only thing that stands out to me. You know yourself best but FOR ME, trying to jump into a 1/2 marathon running plan with the amount of running you have been doing lately would lead to a risk of injury. You have youth on your side though If you look up Hal Higdon's half marathon plan it lays out a 12 week build. If you start this week you have 10 weeks. There is no rush, there will be more 1/2 marathons. Think about what your goals are and focus on those. I get wrapped up in what my friends are training for too. Enthusiasm is contagious. Just stay focused on what is best for you.

I agree, 13 miles is a pretty good chunk of running. It would be pretty hard to recover from it and jump right back into training for the Tri's... It's also difficult, for me at least, to "take it easy" during a race... If I'm at the race, I always go hard, even if that's not optimal long term. So keep that in mind.
2011-01-16 8:56 PM

User image

New user
I too recently read the book Born to run. My brother gave it to me for christmas. Never wanted to finish a book so bad lol. The scientific part I had to kinda force myself through though. Also kinda wanna try out those sandals lol.

As for the half marathon, I am fooling myself saying that I won't give it 100%. This one is most likely out of the question, but can still look forward to the marathon in september.

Did you take a few breaks in your 70 minute swim or is that just constantly swimming. If it's constant, I got a lot of work to do. lol

I walked into a shoe store today that was across from a LBS and saw that they had a computer setup with a treadmill and camera. Camera was directed towards the legs from the rear and you could do slow motion and stuff to look at your running form. Not sure if that was what you were looking for, but thats the first time I've seen it done like that. Normally the associate will tell the person to run back and forth. Then they tell you about your running form.  What kind of brooks running shoe did you have? If I remember right, the Nike free is on the more minimal side as far as cushion goes. 

Visited 3 more bike shops today, one of which was a little bit more tri specific, but only had two tri bikes. Tried the Felt b16 again, Specialized roubiax (spelling?), Specialized allez (alluminum), cannondale cadd 10 ultegra (aluminum), and a 2010 Carbon Scott road bike. I never really paid attention to the road bikes until I just decided to ride one. Didn't feel much of a difference compared to the carbon bikes that had a good fit as well. Started to get me thinking that the aluminum might be a better buy than the lower end carbon bikes. I now also want to try the cervelo p1 and felt s22, but will talk to my fitter first to see if the geometry is even correct. Took the felt b16 on some pretty good incline hills and felt the difference between the two types of bikes. For road bikes, the CADD and the Supersix very similar fit wise. Too bad no store has them side by side in my size. I am starting to think the trek speed concept 7 has a slightly better feel than the b16, but the b16 was kinda just slapped together. Hopefully I can find a cervelo p1 to try out as well as the s22. Spent about 4 hours today riding bikes and made it back for the jets/pats game. Also the store owner tried to talk me to walk home with the 2010 scott carbon bike by lowering the price. Immediately went down 600 dollars. I almost bit, but decided to stick to my plan of finding one that was most perfect. He then also threw in 100 dollars store credit as well. This all was for today only. I'm sure he will come down again if I decide to get that bike. 

Found a lot more running/biking trails while test riding all these bikes that are easily accessible with the use of the metro rail system. Seems like it is near a college as well with some attractive runners Tongue out.  

Again not the best day meals. Basically missed breakfast, and lunch and had a roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with cheese and lettuce. Hunger also pulled me into criss cut fries as well as 100% apple juice. I think I am going to have to start purchasing my own food and cooking in the public kitchen. All the cooked food in the dining facility seems to be really high in sodium, baked fish looks to be baked in pounds of butter, and baked chicken looks to be drowning in oil. I think I will try to pursue getting a food allowance due to my blood pressure and high risk for diabetes. 

2011-01-16 11:37 PM

Regular
Quick Question!

I finally think I have a work-out schedule set up for myself...

Sun-Run, Cycle
Mon-Run
Tue. Swim, Cycle
Wed. Run, Swim
Thur. Swim, Cycle
Fri.Run
Sat. Cycle

Do you all think it is unwise to train every day of the week?  As far as distances I haven't really figured all of that out yet... I'm going to ask around and maybe get some help from a local USAT Coach.  What're your thoughts?!?
2011-01-17 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3303670

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
acgibby - 2011-01-17 12:37 AM Quick Question!

I finally think I have a work-out schedule set up for myself...

Sun-Run, Cycle
Mon-Run
Tue. Swim, Cycle
Wed. Run, Swim
Thur. Swim, Cycle
Fri.Run
Sat. Cycle

Do you all think it is unwise to train every day of the week?  As far as distances I haven't really figured all of that out yet... I'm going to ask around and maybe get some help from a local USAT Coach.  What're your thoughts?!?

I'd give myself a full day off, especially if you aren't used to training every day. It's easy to get mental burnout (if not physical) when you are hitting it hard every day.

I don't like 3 swims back to back either. The only of the 3 sports I try to do consecutively is the run (and only because I think it's important to run almost every day)

That said, give it a try and see how your body/schedule reacts.
2011-01-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3303384

User image

South Florida
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-16 8:42 PM

I have a swim planned for tomorrow morning. But it's not your typical swim. It's called "The Big shoulders, 6-pack abs workout" You swim 200(any stroke) get out of the water, do 5 pushups, then 10 situps then jump back in the water and repeat for 60 mins. There's a/g's so top finishers get something. Should be a blast!

Oh man was it fun!!! Swam 3,050meters did 80 sit-ups and 40 pushups. I was incorrect when i described it. Start was 10 sit-ups swim 200, 5-pushups, swim 200 for 1hour.  Pretty awesome morning i have to say. I'll be doing it again in the future.
2011-01-17 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3303957

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
nvalaitis - 2011-01-17 9:01 AM

Oh man was it fun!!! Swam 3,050meters did 80 sit-ups and 40 pushups. I was incorrect when i described it. Start was 10 sit-ups swim 200, 5-pushups, swim 200 for 1hour.  Pretty awesome morning i have to say. I'll be doing it again in the future.

Where do you do this?
2011-01-17 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3304851

User image

South Florida
cpsdad - 2011-01-17 4:42 PM
nvalaitis - 2011-01-17 9:01 AM

Where do you do this?

This was at Deerfield Beach Masters. It was the last one they did, but i think i was successful in pursuaded them into holding another one next month. Hopefully..

http://deerfieldbeachmasters.org/?p=1

They are doing another type of event soon. called 100 100's on the 100. Basically you swim 100 100meters ever 100 seconds. She said that would take about 3 hours. I'm not up to that yet. But i might do it.

2011-01-17 6:43 PM

User image

New user
Was hoping to run a full hour at a 7:00 mile pace today but they said the gym was closing in 30 minutes right when I started on the treadmill. Haven't run on a treadmill in months. I really hate that thing. More irritated than tired. 3 miles was pretty much the max I could do before my mind exploded. Picked up the pace on the last mile just to finish off at 3 and get on the track.

Used my heart rate monitor again and it says that my heart rate has been in zone 3 for 19 minutes and above zone 3 for 4 minutes. This was mostly at a 7:00 mile pace. I thought that would be a perfect pace for an hour or so run. Most of my running has actually felt around this pace. Am I already to a bad start in training too hard? For your heart rate monitors, do you guys use your calculated max heart rate or do you do actually find your max heart rate. If you do, how do you go about finding that. 

Also the bike hunt is nearing to an end. Its come down to the CAAD 10 (not sure what component set yet) and the Cervelo p1. I would say I'm about 98% sure its going to be the CAAD. My main goal right now is to get seat time on a bike and there I feel there is no better option than the CAAD10 setup with FF seat, tri seat and clip on aero bars. This way I can jump on group rides and rides if I wanted to. Learn how to handle a bike at a fast pace through turns and maybe even get some riding insight from local riders. 

Anyone have any suggestions on groupsets? 105 vs rival vs ultegra? I'm guessing there won't be much of a difference paying 400 to jump to rival from 105, so thats where I will stay and use my money towards other tri gear. Local bike shop is having a sale on wet suits for $140! Also they have tri shirts and stuff on closeout for 10 dollars! Seems like right now is the perfect time to buy my gear. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in wetsuits? I know I am going to need one for the april tri.

EDIT** Reread the descriptions on the chart. Seems spot on! 

Edited by Andr3w 2011-01-17 6:51 PM
2011-01-18 5:53 AM

Regular
I'd like to challenge everyone to post what they usually eat before, and after workouts... I know that I'm a rather selective eater, and there may be more of you like me out there that sometimes struggle to find good, healthy meals, especially in different situations... Andrew, for example, is kind of in the same boat as me with our food being provided by someone else (i.e. my school). 

Anyway, my breakfast is usually the same... I wake up, take my multivitamins, (I decided to try out the GNC Sport VitaPack) which, I might add... I've felt sooo much different since taking. Maybe it's psychological, but I've had sooo much energy, and I've even had a buddy or two comment, asking me "what I was on".  I have the "Just Bunches" which are honey roasted oats, and a large glass of milk.  If I will be running, I also make sure I drink a bottle of water before I head out, but most of my morning workouts are swims.  After, I try to have around 4 scrambled eggs, a plain bagel with pb&j, and another glass of milk.  After my first class or two I'll try to drink a few bottles of water and have an apple or banana.  I've been experimenting with different foods (as I've said, I'm kind of selective) I bought one of a couple different types of pastas (the stouffers freezer dinners) which have a good amount of carbs.

If anyone has any suggestions for myself, or anyone else who posts their meals please don't hesitate to comment!! Thanks everyone, and I wish you happy and healthy training!
2011-01-18 5:56 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ITS POWER TEST DAY!!!!

Can't wait to test the FTP again (to all fairness we re-test about every month so it's not THAT exciting... well...actually it is)

It's really a love/hate thing. I hate feeling like I'm dying on a bike, but I love to see the numbers
2011-01-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3305696

Regular
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-18 5:56 AM ITS POWER TEST DAY!!!!

Can't wait to test the FTP again (to all fairness we re-test about every month so it's not THAT exciting... well...actually it is)

It's really a love/hate thing. I hate feeling like I'm dying on a bike, but I love to see the numbers

Woohoo! Get it!
2011-01-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3305695

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
acgibby - 2011-01-18 4:53 AM I'd like to challenge everyone to post what they usually eat before, and after workouts...

I don't typically work out in the early AM so I usually have oatmeal or a small bowl of cereal in the morning.  Piece of fruit around 10:00 then protein snack around 11:30 (cheeze stik or small piece of lean meat), If I'm running I'll go at 1:30 or so then a small 'something' afterwards (this is often kinda 'junk foodie').  Fruit again around 4:00 PM, then to the gym at 5:30.  Dinner afterwards.  I don't do too many of the "power bar" etc type of snacks.  I don't work out long enough to really have to tailor my diet. 

2011-01-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3305696

User image

Bronze member
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-18 5:56 AM ITS POWER TEST DAY!!!!

Ugh, have fun with that....

2011-01-18 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3306798

User image

Bronze member
jeffnboise - 2011-01-18 1:38 PM
acgibby - 2011-01-18 4:53 AM I'd like to challenge everyone to post what they usually eat before, and after workouts...

I don't typically work out in the early AM so I usually have oatmeal or a small bowl of cereal in the morning.  Piece of fruit around 10:00 then protein snack around 11:30 (cheeze stik or small piece of lean meat), If I'm running I'll go at 1:30 or so then a small 'something' afterwards (this is often kinda 'junk foodie').  Fruit again around 4:00 PM, then to the gym at 5:30.  Dinner afterwards.  I don't do too many of the "power bar" etc type of snacks.  I don't work out long enough to really have to tailor my diet. 

I have a lot of similarities as Jeff. I don't typically work out in the early morning either. Most of my workouts are late afternoon, 4 or 5 and I've had enough to eat throughout the day that I don't need to worry about fueling up too much. When I'm done it's time for supper.

The only time this is really a problem is the one or two days a week that I swim at 9:15 a.m. I have breakfast (eggs or oatmeal, fruit and a cup of black coffee) and a snack (peanut butter sandwich or banana) but am usually hungry as I get into the pool. I'm not sure if it effects my workout much or not. I always feel a little sluggish when I start out my swims so I can't really blame it on fuel.

2011-01-18 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3306869

User image

South Florida

My workouts are in the afternoon after work. Everyonce and awhile i do a morning workout. I'm not training for a HIM or IM so my workout sched is pretty lax. The weekends is when i do my distance workouts.

As far as breakfast. mon-fri i have a plain bagel with strawberry jam or peanut butter, a handful of apple slices and my vitamins ( b-12 complex, O-3 fishoil, Glucosomine and chondr.. and a multivamin)
 Of course with coffee and  i drink water all day. The weekends i do 2 cups of oatmeal with fruit. I can never get enough food though. I'm 6'4" and weight a steady 194.  6.5%bf. I need at least 3,000 calories/day or else i feel my body going into reserve.

2011-01-18 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3307178

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-01-18 3:42 PM

My workouts are in the afternoon after work. Everyonce and awhile i do a morning workout. I'm not training for a HIM or IM so my workout sched is pretty lax. The weekends is when i do my distance workouts.

As far as breakfast. mon-fri i have a plain bagel with strawberry jam or peanut butter, a handful of apple slices and my vitamins ( b-12 complex, O-3 fishoil, Glucosomine and chondr.. and a multivamin)
 Of course with coffee and  i drink water all day. The weekends i do 2 cups of oatmeal with fruit. I can never get enough food though. I'm 6'4" and weight a steady 194.  6.5%bf. I need at least 3,000 calories/day or else i feel my body going into reserve.

I don't take this but I noticed there is a coupon for this at Walgreens this week. Nope, it's a register reward for Joint Juice Glucosamine Chondroitin 20 oz. So you pay $10 for the bottle and then when you check out they will print out a $10 coupon that you can use in the store on anything. So basically they pay you back to try it. Just passing it along......
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22