BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-07 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Busy night! 

GoGoGo- I would have hated that run you did last winter.  I stay indoors as much as possible in the winter!  Like I said before if it isn't at least 45 degrees you won't see me out!

Today is a day off for me, really needed it, my body was aching yesterday and just felt bad.  Feel better today and am looking forward to a nice ride at the gym tomorrow. 

I am not racing until march.  I have a 5 mile (8k) in March and a 5 mile (8k) in April lined up.  Nothing after that.

2011-01-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3280868

User image

New user

crisi13 - 2011-01-05 7:45 PM Got my run in tonight...much better 3 miler.  Did the full 3 miles in my Newton's (I got a used pair on ebay for $19 and have been trying them out).  They felt good...a little sore in the calf, but that's to be expected.   

I can't wait to hear more about the Newton's.  You hear so much conflicting info about them... and then my husband walks into his triathlete podiatrists office last week, and he's wearing them!!  Hmmm...
2011-01-07 8:49 AM

User image

New user

No races planned for me until next seasonFrown.  Since I work weekends, I miss most races.  I'm taking one of my four yearly allowed vacation days for my first triathlon.  I love love love 5ks, though.  I love the t-shirts, the hundreds of different types of people doing them, the speed, everything.  I've done a couple of 5ks while pregnant, and post partum!  It's probably good I work weekends, otherwise I'd be spending alot of money on races!  Keep me updated on your upcoming races so I can live vicariously through you!
2011-01-07 9:07 AM

My Race Log
User image

Champion
Calgary
try it again

Keeping It Consistent Group

Link to Forum Page 1

juniperjen
- Jen
pascullid
 - Dannae
Osfan4life - Lindsay
BigDH - Darren
kpringle - Kristen
JosieO - Josie
jenjen54 - Jen
crisi13 - Crissy
GoGoGo - Richard
melissabenson1 - Melissa
hooliemay - Julie
elena verdegaal - Elena
DeputyDawg - Dee
nvandyke - Nat
RobbyN210 - Robby?
debbiereid06 - Debbie
djmoudi - Chaf
KeriKadi - Keri
2011-01-07 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
And as long as we are bragging

this is me running home last year. Huge accident on the main road, biked up for hours, so i pulled over and ran home.

(Running In Snow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Running In Snow.jpg (24KB - 9 downloads)
2011-01-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3284253

User image

Expert
Canada
BigDH - 2011-01-07 11:11 AM And as long as we are bragging this is me running home last year. Huge accident on the main road, biked up for hours, so i pulled over and ran home.

Determination, I like it!!!  You gotta do what you gotta do!!

BTW, no really bragging.  Just a fact of life here.   I agree with others.  In winter when cold, dark & snowy, I stay on dreadmill.  However, the Sunday morning, group run is sacred & I always do it outside, no matter the weather.  I know there will be people there to run with & it gets me out.  

I ran 10 miles on a dreadmill once & swore...never again.  Too, damn boring!  Now I limit myself to 12k (7 miles) on dreadmill, which works well for the distance I like on a weekday.  The Long run however is ofter 13-16 miles & I HAVE to do this outdoors.

Despite how it may seem, I enjoyed that morning last year.  Good team building stuff!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-07 9:30 AM

2011-01-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3284301

User image

New user
GoGoGo - 2011-01-06 10:30 AM
BigDH - 2011-01-07 11:11 AM And as long as we are bragging this is me running home last year. Huge accident on the main road, biked up for hours, so i pulled over and ran home.

BTW, no really bragging.  Just a fact of life here.   I agree with others.  In winter when cold, dark & snowy, I stay on dreadmill.  However, the Sunday morning, group run is sacred & I always do it outside, no matter the weather.  I know there will be people there to run with & it gets me out.  

I ran 10 miles on a dreadmill once & swore...never again.  Too, damn boring!  Now I limit myself to 12k (7 miles) on dreadmill, which works well for the distance I like on a weekday.  The Long run however is ofter 13-16 miles & I HAVE to do this outdoors.

Despite how it may seem, I enjoyed that morning last year.  Good team building stuff!!

Ugh I did about 4, 10 mile runs on the treadmill for marathon training, drove me nuts!! Anything over that I could never do. 
2011-01-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3284301

User image

Champion
Calgary
GoGoGo - 2011-01-07 8:30 AM

lol, bragging or not...

I don't have access to a treadmill, which is probably a good thing, so I am outside rain, snow, slate, sun, wind....oh the wind.
2011-01-07 10:10 AM

Cold Lake

I would love to get to that place where running enjoyable enough that I would rather run home than sit in traffic.  Truly inspiring Darren.

2011-01-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3283678

User image

Memphis
BigDH - 2011-01-06 10:13 PM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-06 8:06 PM I'm hoping for a 5K Feb 26th! We'll see!
Do It!

That picture is INSANE! I was having a hard time putting my shoes on today, and its 50.
2011-01-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3283728

User image

Memphis
BigDH - 2011-01-06 10:57 PM Changed the links that Jen sent out to link straight to Log. Also added Jen's name in there, seems she forgot herself. Also put in a link to the first page. That is the limit of my understanding of things. Keeping It Consistent Group

added myself!

Link to Forum Page 1

juniperjen
- Jen
pascullid
 - Dannae
Osfan4life - Lindsay
BigDH - Darren
kpringle - Kristen
JosieO - Josie
jenjen54 - Jen
crisi13 - Crissy
GoGoGo - Richard
melissabenson1 - Melissa
hooliemay - Julie
elena verdegaal - Elena
DeputyDawg - Dee
nvandyke - Nat
RobbyN210 - Robby?
debbiereid06 - Debbie
djmoudi - Chaf
KeriKadi - Keri
mylissahorrocks - Mylissa

2011-01-07 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
I have a new question for the group...  What do people wear on race day?  I was thinking 2 piece trisuit under wetsuit (for swim) and then trisuit for bike and run portion.  Any recommendations??

And what about those Yankz laces for running shoes?  Are they helpful?  Thanks!
2011-01-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3284913

User image

Expert
Canada
kpringle - 2011-01-07 2:55 PM I have a new question for the group...  What do people wear on race day?  I was thinking 2 piece trisuit under wetsuit (for swim) and then trisuit for bike and run portion.  Any recommendations??

Am I permitted to answer?

Tri-suit under wetsuit... this is common.  Good Plan!

For Yankz...the idea is great.  coming off the bike tired & having to tie laces is hard!!  yanking is good.  I have tried Lock-Laces & Yankz.  I prefer Lock laces.  Yanks, seemed a little too complicated & never worked as well as Lock laces.  Not sure if you have them in your nearest tri-retailer or not.

See pic

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (84KB - 8 downloads)
2011-01-07 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Here is a pic with them "cinched down"...

Apologize for the quality, taken with my iPhoneUndecided

I'm not bragging about laces!!! 

(photo-1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo-1.JPG (76KB - 7 downloads)
2011-01-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3283819

User image

Memphis
GoGoGo - 2011-01-07 4:35 AM
Kristen8040 - 2011-01-06 11:48 PM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-05 10:40 PM A couple of questions on stuff for the race:

Anyone know if you can rent a wetsuit for like a week? I really don't see budget allowing a purchase!

And the bike. I have...(drumroll please) $200 for a bike. I've read reviews on the GMC Denali that Target sells: 169.99  People are saying they worked great for their first triathlon. Is this insanity? Any tips on finding a cheap bike?

Thanks!
Mylissa
www.triforjoy.wordpress.com

Not too sure about the wetsuit, your race directors might have some ideas.  This is the company some of the races by me use: http://www.wetsuitrental.com//>
As for the bike, you really can use almost anything.  I used my mountain bike for my first few tris.  My best advice would be to try and check out craigslist, the BT classifieds, and maybe even your LBS to try and find a used bike.

I agree with Kisten.  Why not look into used... 

Thanks friends! I have missed out on at least 3 on craigslist that I was hoping to purchase...and at this point am concerned about getting out there on the road. I've used hubby's GT mtn bike quite a bit on trails and in events, and love it. Just wasn't sure if I could pull that off on the road? Its got dual suspension.
2011-01-07 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3285092

User image

Expert
Canada

Thanks friends! I have missed out on at least 3 on craigslist that I was hoping to purchase...and at this point am concerned about getting out there on the road. I've used hubby's GT mtn bike quite a bit on trails and in events, and love it. Just wasn't sure if I could pull that off on the road? Its got dual suspension.

How long is your race?  If sprint, I would not worry about it.  You will finish & if you are hooked you can move up.  Keep looking, but I would not sweat it!  You have a "fall-back" bike.

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-07 2:19 PM

2011-01-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3285105

User image

New user
GoGoGo - 2011-01-06 2:54 PM

How long is your race?  If sprint, I would not worry about it.  You will finish & if you are hooked you can move up.  Keep looking, but i would not sweat it!  You have a "fall-back" bike.

If it's a sprint, it's not a big deal, I've seen all sorts of bikes!  Having a road bike will take time off, I went from an untrained 13mi/hr on a mt bike to a trained 17.4mi/hr on my road bike, but if you can't afford it right now, don't sweat it.
2011-01-07 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3284913

User image

New user
kpringle - 2011-01-06 1:55 PM I have a new question for the group...  What do people wear on race day?  I was thinking 2 piece trisuit under wetsuit (for swim) and then trisuit for bike and run portion.  Any recommendations??

Trisuits are most commonly seen (In my first tri I wore a bathing suit for the swim and then threw shorts and a tshirt over in t1) I wear a one piece because I feel more comfortable, but it's totally up to you.  You will then keep that on for the bike and run.  

Keep in mind that not all races will be wetsuit legal!  (Not sure where you live but this comes up sometimes in NJ)

I use yankz for tris, I put them on halfway through my season and they made such a change in my T2 time, took about a minute off!

I can't stand wearing them to run longer distances though.

2011-01-07 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
I was chatting with a fellow member about running volume for an upcoming 5k race.

Seems that several of you ladies have a 5k's in mind in next few months.

Here is a link about what you could be running based on your skill level, etc.

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm 

....and for the speed demons

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kadv.htm

There is a lot information on this site, for virtually all race distances.

Keep in mind that this assumes that running is your focus.  Many of us start the year with a few running races & transition into tri in late spring & summer.  As this gets closer your training plan may change as well to reflect the greater need for swim & bike training.  Since many of you are training for 5k's now, thought this might be useful...

Richard

PS.  In april my training changes & I run less & bike more!! 
2011-01-07 4:44 PM

User image

New user

BigDH:  That is an awesome picture.  Seriously awesome.
2011-01-07 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3285045

User image

Champion
Calgary
GoGoGo - 2011-01-07 12:37 PM

Here is a pic with them "cinched down"...

Apologize for the quality, taken with my iPhoneUndecided

I'm not bragging about laces!!! 

Good because I was about to take a picture of my frayed ones. lol

2011-01-07 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3285483

User image

Champion
Calgary
JosieO - 2011-01-07 3:44 PM

BigDH:  That is an awesome picture.  Seriously awesome.

Thanks, I was running across an overpass that went over Deerfoot trail, the main highway through Calgary. The Highway was shut down and being detoured though residential neighborhoods so the back up was immense. there was some reporter camped out on the overpass taking pictures of the traffic and snapped one of me. The one of me made the cover of the newspaper the next day. It was very cool.
2011-01-07 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3285495

User image

Pro
Houston
BigDH - 2011-01-07 4:50 PM
JosieO - 2011-01-07 3:44 PM BigDH:  That is an awesome picture.  Seriously awesome.
Thanks, I was running across an overpass that went over Deerfoot trail, the main highway through Calgary. The Highway was shut down and being detoured though residential neighborhoods so the back up was immense. there was some reporter camped out on the overpass taking pictures of the traffic and snapped one of me. The one of me made the cover of the newspaper the next day. It was very cool.

Great story!  I was going to ask who took the pic.

Re: Wardrobe - My first season I had a one piece tri suit and then switched to tri shorts with a tri top then I switched to bike shorts (DeSoto 400 mile shorts) and tri top.  The issue that I have is I am shaped like a girl with curves so the shirts ride up a bit and nobody needs to see my tummy.  The other issue is constantly fighting with my racebelt but I have yet to find a solution for that.
Oh and no matter what the tri top manufacturers tell you unless you have aero boobs you will need to wear a sports bra.

I also prefer Lock laces over Yankz but will race longer races (HIM) with regular laces.  Using elastic laces allows too much movement in your shoes and is not good for feet or shoes.  I switch to my Locks 1-2 weeks before the race for sprint and Oly distance.

I went into a bike shop today where they build custom bikes because the guy that runs the place is supposed to be the shiz when it comes to getting the right fit.
I went in expecting to spend $80ish for the fit and maybe $125ish for a new saddle..... $380 later I am a happier girl and hopefully my tuhkus will be happy as well.  I guess the good news is I didn't need a new saddle.  What I did need was a smaller crank and a new stem.  The guy worked with me for 2 hours and I am more comfortable on my bike than I have ever been.  Really hoping I get a chance to ride tomorrow and see how it really fits when I get her out on the road.
2011-01-08 12:13 AM
in reply to: #3285657

User image

LOL @ aero boobs. Oh my stars, what a lovely group this is!

Bad picture, BigDH. I am anti "I love me" walls but I would be a changed woman if I had something like that.

GoGoGo - thx for sharing the seasonal focus bit. I was doubting my run-focused winter training. I figure doing all 3 sports is probably best but I'm feeling good about just running right now. Last year I intended to do all 3 throughout training, but ended up focusing on swim because I was most nervous about that (my plan included 3 but I wouldn't skip out on swimming).  it improved confidence but overall fitness, not so much. i'ma stop beating myself up and say this is a good route startingggggg now. or now.

question - do yall run with or without music? i used to think i needed music to run. and yet, i have been running sans music for 11 weeks. it's been awesome - like i've removed music as my crutch. i had been doing really really well but started getting bored last week. changing my route didn't help the other day, but definitely helped today.  any other former music junkies struggle with this?
2011-01-08 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Just got back from Spin class.  Good winter activity.  Inside, dry & safe!  My knee is not quite right, but nevertheless, no problem with class.  Might try 5k run tomorrow.Surprised  Worries me a little, but gotta try.

Hope everyone's having a good Saturday... I like SaturdaysCool
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35