BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed
I got close to puking today about 40 minutes into my "blind pace" run.  My coach had me run with only time and cadence showing on my Garmin, so I was blind to my pace.  I thought I was going a hell of a lot slower than I was until I reviewed the file at home.  That totally explained the desire to puke and quit well before the 50 minute mark.  I was running 5k pace for over 10k. 

2011-04-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3442348

User image

For about a year it's the same for me, but recently switched up a little bit.  I do a banana every morning (90 calories) and an Element Bar.  If you're not familiar with Element Bars, you can go on line and make your own bar.  YOu pick the base, you pick the flavors, basically, it's a custom designed bar and you know 100% of the ingredients.  My lower calorie ones are about 240 and the high calorie ones are 304.  I'm now mixing in oatmeal with some dried blueberries my wife has been buying.  1 cup of oatmeal, Saigon cinnamon, 1/8 to 1/4 cup blueberries.  Oatmeal is a resistant carb and does not break down easily.  It leaves you full for a long period of time, and it is great for your cholesterol too.  I eat far less on days I eat Oatmeal.

2011-04-12 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
+charged - 2011-04-12 9:48 AM

Just curious - what do you guys typically do for breakfast?

I just recently discovered Greek yogurt - Chobani... awesome stuff.  Zero fat, zero cholesterol, 14g of protein and 140 calories. 

I eat that, a granola bar or bagel, and a piece of fruit for breakfast... pretty good, but I really miss the days of eggs and bacon Cry

2011-04-12 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3441596

Regular
Spruce Grove
Subject: RE: Building your distance up

I actually do similar run type workouts - one long, easy - one 5kish, focusing on increasing speed in intervals, and one where I focus on adding incline in intervals. I'm going to work this week on pushing harder this week though, because I haven't felt close to puking yet, lol!

I definitely need to work on adding speed intervals to my swims though, so that is on the agenda for my next swim later this week.

Thanks!!

2011-04-12 12:16 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove

I'm working hard on eating breakfast regularly and smoothies are definitely one of my faves! I don't have too many cals in mine, I guess a lot depends on what you put in. I have two basics that I work with:

Low cal vanilla yogurt, 1 tsp cocoa, 1/2 banana, 1 oz strong coffee, skim milk and ice - mocha banana smoothie or low cal vanilla yogurt, bunch of mixed frozen fruit (mango/melon/strawberries mostly), skim milk and ice.

What do you use that ups the cals of your smoothie?

+charged - 2011-04-12 10:48 AM

Like Mark, I kind of fall into the boring food category - same-o-thing most days. I'm typically a smoothie person in the AM.. I started counting my cal's today, just to try to get an eyeball on what's really going in the tank.. Holy Cr@p! There's a lot of cal's in the smoothie I make, and I don't add much fluff to it..

2011-04-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3442414

User image

I mean this most sincerely.  If you don't really feel bad during a track workout, you can work harder.  I don't quit easily, but I know I'm working hard if I get to the brink.  If it starts to creep into my mind that I have the ability to make it all stop RIGHT NOW, then I know I'm working hard.  I also know that if I do stop the madness, I'll feel like a loser until my next hard workout because I quit.  So you push through.

2011-04-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3442388

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
PrivateIdaho - 2011-04-12 1:03 PM

Whole grain English muffin with PB and a banana after I swim. For the sake of convenience, I use the Justin's single serve PB packets.  That's 120 for the English muffin, 190 for the PB and 90 for the banana for 400 total.

On non gym days when I bike/run after work, cereal (1/2 cup fiber one and 1/2 cup kashi go lean), skim milk, banana (or strawberries now that they are more in season).  That's 130 for the cereal, another 100 or so for the milk and 90 for the fruit for a total of about 320. 

Edited by jmkizer 2011-04-12 12:23 PM
2011-04-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3442388

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just recently discovered Greek yogurt - Chobani... awesome stuff.  Zero fat, zero cholesterol, 14g of protein and 140 calories. 

I love love love Greek yogurt!  I just had my Chobani 0 for lunch (with a salad, 2 oz chicken, 1 T dressing, and a whole grapefruit).  I have Greek yogurt with my lunch about four days a week!  I love it!

100 for the yogurt, 60 for the chicken, I'll say 30 for the veg (2.5 cups mixed greens, 1/2 cup carrot+bell pepper+celery), 20 for the tablespoon of dressing, and 100 for a large grapefruit for 310 total.

2011-04-12 12:52 PM

User image

Just did my lunch run and cam back to find your post re: running and swimming. I got my moderate run in for the week. I happened to some intervals in my run.

I am of the “slow and steady” mind frame when it comes to swimming. I’m going to try to apply your suggestions. The only thing is my form totally breaks down if I try to go fast. Not that I’m going to have good form by race time.

Thanks for the post.

2011-04-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3442522

User image

Glad to hear you're giving it your best.  Don't try to go "fast" in the pool.  Try to go "smooth".  Don't fight the water, just think about gliding through it.  You will go faster if you focus on your form, not your arm turnover.  Think about it in those terms and you will see improvements.  Then you can bring cadence up just a little, but never past the point of a form breakdown.
2011-04-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3441549

User image

My plan calls for 2 bricks in the last month, is that enough for practicing, and also, they go run, bike, swim, not reverse.  Is that strange?  Kimberly

2011-04-12 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3442425

User image

Wow - this changes things for me - I think the last time I pushed myself hard was in labor - and the last time I did that was 6 yrs ago.  Time for a mental check.  Thank you
2011-04-12 1:48 PM

User image

CO

Mark- thanks for the great post earlier about incorporating higher-intensity workouts.  I work right next to a track and had been thinking that it might be good for a workout every once in a while.  Now I think I'll aim to use it at least once a week!

Just as a report- tried high cadence biking on a 1hr ride yesterday.  It was great!  Made my legs really tired by the end, though, and I certainly need retrain my gear shifting so that higher cadence is more automatic. Ratcheted up the intensity in my swim this morning, with 4x25 all-out sprints plus 3x200 interval repeats to get me started.  Heading out on a run this afternoon.  Today is a good day!

I might get into this more with another post later, but I'm becoming concerned that my nutrition isn't what it needs to be- too much carb & fat (esp. dairy), not enough protein.  I know I need to just plan further ahead- specifically, take a few hours every Sunday to prep food for the week, since it is the lack of time during the week that is making things difficult.  However I'd love a few ideas for quick and easy high-protein dinners, if people don't mind adding onto the (really useful!) ongoing breakfast conversation.

-Tel

2011-04-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3442638

User image

I only did one or two workouts last year that were swim/bike/run in that order.  Some believe in it, others don't.  It worked fine for me.  In peak periods, leading up to a race, I did more "transition" runs than true bricks.  A transition run is just running for 15 or 20 minutes off the bike just as a good habit to teach your legs to set up in high cadence and work through the icky feeling of burned up quads.  If you're doing a sprint, a 20 minute run is more like a true brick.  I'd not be afraid to do a lot of bricks in the three weeks leading up (1-2/wk.) but I don't see a ton of value in doing the swim first.  Any day you do all three for training purposes, the swim is last in a lot of programs as it's the best for active recovery and starts the process of your body healing.  It also lessens the chance of injury from running totally fried with poor form.  I would do it at least once or twice with the swim first though, but shorten up your bike and run legs, as in, not race distance.  The reason to do this is to get used to being a little tired when you hit the bike and needing to snap right to it cadence wise.
2011-04-12 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3442653

Veteran

hypoxic - 2011-04-12 11:42 AM Wow - this changes things for me - I think the last time I pushed myself hard was in labor - and the last time I did that was 6 yrs ago.  Time for a mental check.  Thank you

OMG!  If that is how I am supposed to feel after a work out, I have a loooonnnggg way to go.  Not sure I want to re-live THAT level of pain.

The usual breakfast is Heart to Heart cereal, water, coffee, banana.

2011-04-12 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3442317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-12 11:40 AM

Thanks for the tips, Mark! I'm still fighting off this cold, but the cough seems a bit better. Instead of going to Masters class this morning, I just got in the pool when they were finished and did a short & easy warmup, then timed my race distance.

Denise, I timed my 600meter (our race is yards!) in 13:45! And that's still being sick *and* having another 7 scheduled swim days, minimum, before the race. It's pretty cool that I'm right where I estimated I would be when I registered, even though I was swimming nowhere near that back then.

-Henry

Henry - that's fantastic.  Congratulations.  Isn't it fun when things go better than expected.  Now you just have to get rid of that cold.

Denise

2011-04-12 3:21 PM

User image

I'm still willing to pull together a conference call session for swimming if there is demand and walk people through the different videos and put some color to them.  our work life, everything.  The outside world will see what the inside feels.  That's why you tri!

Awesome information.  Thank you, Mark!  I would definitely be interested in a swimming conference call if you have the time to organize that.  Headed to the pool right now!

Jacqui

2011-04-12 3:24 PM

User image

I almost always have oatmeal with chia seeds and almond butter for breakfast -- sometimes with eggs.  I used to have a smaller breakfast and then a snack before lunch (like "clean eating" principles) but now try to eat bigger meals without the snacking.  Once I get started I find it hard to stop eating, lol.

My pre-race or pre-long run breakfast is always a half bowl of oats and a half banana.  I think of it as my "lucky meal."

Jacqui

2011-04-12 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3442420

User image

Regular

"What do you use that ups the cals of your smoothie?"

I usually just eyeball it, but today I measured things out so I could get a count on cal's..

3/4 c frozen cherries 110 cal

1 c frozen berries (raspberry, blueberry, Marionberry) 70 cal

1 c chobani greek yogurt (I don't usually add this much, probably about a 1/2 c normally) 170 cals

1 c soy vanilla milk 100 cals

1/2 c oats 150 cals

Many times I throw in a dash of flaxseed, but didn't today.. It's a pretty loaded smoothie, leaves me full for quite a while.

I can probably throw out the soy milk, and add water..I've got protein in the yogurt... I was just surprised at how it added up...

I liked the tropical blend of frozen fruit that I used to buy... But I tried a piece thawed out one time, and it didn't taste so spiffy that way.. Made me wonder about the quality, so I switched to a better brand, and went with berries for the nutrition part of it...

And yes, I have to agree the Chobani is one of the better Greek yogurts I've tasted.

Thanks for all the input guys.

2011-04-12 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Day 1 of Mark's run workout - sure makes for a purty graph (including weird off-the-chart heart rate spikes).  Kind of fun discovering I have more than one gear.

(Day1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Day1.jpg (71KB - 17 downloads)
2011-04-12 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3443064

User image

Did you really get your HR over 200 bpm?  That's good info because we need to dial that back some cowboy!  You need to figure out your zones and make sure we keep you at no more than like 80% of max, maybe a bit higher, but not in excess of 100!  A++ for effort on this.  Care to describe what your workout was for us.  It looks like that HR kind of spiked and then settled right in.

2011-04-12 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3443073

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

mwp1054 - 2011-04-12 3:01 PM Did you really get your HR over 200 bpm?  That's good info because we need to dial that back some cowboy!  You need to figure out your zones and make sure we keep you at no more than like 80% of max, maybe a bit higher, but not in excess of 100!  A++ for effort on this.  Care to describe what your workout was for us.  It looks like that HR kind of spiked and then settled right in.

The HRM said 233 - it sure didn't feel like that, so I checked my pulse and it was actually about 160.  I've read a few threads where people have seen weird spikes with Garmin 305 - usually attributed to not having enough moisture, early in the workout, for it to work properly.  My max HR is about 190 (although I need to recheck that soon) - I remember what that felt like and I was no where near it.

My planned workout was 4.3 miles in 40 min. and I decided to incorporate Mark's Day 1 interval workout of: moderate warm-up for first third, do 2.5 minute intervals @ 1 minute less than normal pace for the middle third, and then recover at regular pace for last third.

I was a little sluggish early in the workout.  My normal pace would have been about 9:15/mile but I was struggling to hit 10:00.  I started thinking "when I accelerate for 2.5 minutes I better shoot for 9:00 pace instead of the 8:00 Mark suggested."

After the first fifteen minutes I accelerated and after a few seconds I looked at my pace and it was 7:15!  I felt good and even had to slow a bit to get closer to 8:00.  After the interval, I just returned to around a 10:00 pace for active recovery. 

I did it three more times and was actually surprised that it was kind of refreshing to pick up the speed and a 90 second recovery was adequate.  My HR hit zone 4 during the intervals and I was surprised to see that each time my recovery HR was lower and lower - starting out in zone 3 and then to zone 2 and even dropping to zone 1 towards the end.

Edited by PrivateIdaho 2011-04-12 6:40 PM
2011-04-12 6:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-12 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3443064

Thank God.  I was worried for a moment that I sent you off to die!  I have a 305 and I've never had issues, strange.
2011-04-12 6:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark/or anyone else that has advice,

I've done several sprints the last 2 seasons but I've never learned to eat/drink on the bike.  With longer distances, I'll need to. I just got aerobars, mainly so I could use that water bottle that goes between the bars, but it doesn't hold all that much.  Today, I was able to take a GU out of the little box/bag on my bike, rip the top off with my teeth, suck it down, put the empty back in the bag - but I was very wobbly. (Actually, the hardest part was putting it back - I don't want to litter, but it sure would be easier to just ditch it)

Do I just keep practicing? I've got 3 months. Is that enough time?

Any tricks you guys have to make it easier to eat/drink?

Denise

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30