General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-12-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4539573

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

beatingpath - 2012-12-18 7:43 AM I need all the help I can get in the swim! Wink  I'm also signed up for Lake Stevens next year.   I'm thinking after Coeur d'Alene and all the hill training, it will be a breeze...only wishful thinking!

FYI that most don't know about Lake Stevens. At least when I did it, there was a rope about 10 feet underwater that lined the bouys. I swam right next to that all the time. No need to really sight at all for the race. 

Lake Stevens hills are steep going down more than going up except for mile 38 where you are in pretty much in granny gear. I hit 46mph coasting down one hill. I know of one that hit 55mph.  Talk about going fast on a bike.

2012-12-18 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4540512

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
spie34 - 2012-12-18 6:09 PM

beatingpath - 2012-12-18 7:43 AM I need all the help I can get in the swim! Wink  I'm also signed up for Lake Stevens next year.   I'm thinking after Coeur d'Alene and all the hill training, it will be a breeze...only wishful thinking!

FYI that most don't know about Lake Stevens. At least when I did it, there was a rope about 10 feet underwater that lined the bouys. I swam right next to that all the time. No need to really sight at all for the race. 

Lake Stevens hills are steep going down more than going up except for mile 38 where you are in pretty much in granny gear. I hit 46mph coasting down one hill. I know of one that hit 55mph.  Talk about going fast on a bike.

Did you really post that?? Gives new meaning to the Sound of Music movie....... "The Hills are Alive"...

2012-12-19 12:20 AM
in reply to: #4540542

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
soretaint - 2012-12-18 6:44 PM

Did you really post that?? Gives new meaning to the Sound of Music movie....... "The Hills are Alive"...

I have to agree, and this year it was wet and the road was slick - I was not enjoying the downhills with sharp turns at the bottom and was actually looking forward to the climbs... saw quite a few crashes at the bottom of some of those hills.

2012-12-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4540656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
PrivateIdaho - 2012-12-18 10:20 PM

I have to agree, and this year it was wet and the road was slick - I was not enjoying the downhills with sharp turns at the bottom and was actually looking forward to the climbs... saw quite a few crashes at the bottom of some of those hills.

Imagine climbing a hill at 5mph, hit the top and turn around, now going down you hit 50 mph. Holy Crap this hill is waaayyy steeper going down than it was going up!

Got a real chuckle out of the way it was phrased..... Cool

2012-12-19 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Motivation must be picking up, just got back from a nice 5 mile run, outside.  Current  Weather Conditions where I am at.
2012-12-19 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4539585

User image

New user
Salisbury
Flyboy - 2012-12-18 10:53 AM
maverickbassets - 2012-12-17 8:58 AM

beatingpath - 2012-12-16 2:06 AM I'm in.  Coeur  d'Alene will be my first full IM.  I'm scared to death and extremely excited!  Any advice for a newbie to the course?  I did the lesser version of IM Boise 70.3 and the full IM 70.3 Boulder this last season.  Anything comparable as far as the courses?

Hello fellow 29.3r (1.2swim/15bike/13.1run).  I was at Boise this year.  One can only hope CDA doesn't have that kind of weather.......  It will be my first IM also along with many other people I bet. 

Enjoy the training and from what I read (last year as I lurked on this group) listen to Flyboy.  He has great advice and has offered to give guided tours of the bike course when we get there in June....(I read he did that last year so I figured it wouldn't hurt to kind of ask)Wink

Oh yeah, we'll be having a bike course tour again for out of town folks.  When we get close to race time I'll post about it again and anyone interested can join in.  It's one of the highlights of Ironman week for me, getting to meet a bunch of cool people from all over the U.S. so definitely planning to keep doing it.

My Tour with Stan was a highlight for me also.....the thing I loved the most about CDA was the people: the folks I met and raced with, the volunteers and especially the locals and Coeur D Alene support city...JUST WONDERFUL all of them!

2012-12-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4540969

User image

Regular
soretaint - 2012-12-19 7:27 AM
PrivateIdaho - 2012-12-18 10:20 PM

Imagine climbing a hill at 5mph, hit the top and turn around, now going down you hit 50 mph. Holy Crap this hill is waaayyy steeper going down than it was going up!

Got a real chuckle out of the way it was phrased..... Cool

LOL does sound strange how I worded it perhaps. I was scared quite a few times going down the hills but I don't think I hit the brakes ever except for when there was a 90 degree turn at the bottom. I didn't see any wrecks but saw a few of the aftermaths of them. If I have the money, the wife lets me, and feeling good enough after IMCDA I might just go over there and do it again. I did enjoy the bike course as it was definitely not monotonous.

2012-12-20 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4542002

User image

Regular

smithe68 - 2012-12-19 3:23 PM Motivation must be picking up, just got back from a nice 5 mile run, outside.  Current  Weather Conditions where I am at.

That's good.  It was pretty crappy outside at that time yesterday.  I was fortunate enough to be able to ride my bike over to the Y at lunch for a swim. I got back before the weather changed. 

Went for a 55 minute run this morning in the snow. It was pretty good I thought. Always nice to run through fresh snow.

2012-12-21 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Ok so I'm that guy who still hasn't secured lodging for the trip.  It's my fault, but I have been waiting for another person to decide what they wanted to do.  Since they are not getting back to me quick enough I've decided I'll try to get this done in the next week or so.  Here are a few stupid questions:

How bad is it really to stay in Spokane? and drive to CDA each day to do stuff? 

What other city that I might be overlooking is kind of close and a good place to stay?  I have my wife and 2 kids with me.  All three need to be somewhat entertained.  We get should be driving into CDA on Tuesday or wed before the race. 

What is there for non-iron folks to do in the CDA area?  Kids are 9 and 10.

Any and all advice is appreciated.  Keep in mind I'm not rich so $300 a night is not an option.  Also if you want to point out that this should be done already I'm game for that also.

2012-12-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4543879

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

I've never been to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene but it looks like about a 1/2 hour drive at the most, all highway. Post Falls, ID is close to CdA and they look like they have lodging

You know you should have already done this, right?

Good luck hope you find something
2012-12-21 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
There are four of us racing and coming out from Ohio (only 33 hours of driving ;-0).  We just secured something last night.  I am not sure if anyone has put it up here yet or not, but we got ours through  http://www.cdagetaway.com/Ironman-Rental-Property.  Don't worry, we have 184 days til the race, but who's counting....

2012-12-21 12:08 PM

User image

Regular
maverickbassets - 2012-12-21 5:23 AM

Ok so I'm that guy who still hasn't secured lodging for the trip.  It's my fault, but I have been waiting for another person to decide what they wanted to do.  Since they are not getting back to me quick enough I've decided I'll try to get this done in the next week or so.  Here are a few stupid questions:

What other city that I might be overlooking is kind of close and a good place to stay?  I have my wife and 2 kids with me.  All three need to be somewhat entertained.  We get should be driving into CDA on Tuesday or wed before the race. 

Any and all advice is appreciated.  Keep in mind I'm not rich so $300 a night is not an option.  Also if you want to point out that this should be done already I'm game for that also.

I live about an hour twenty or so from CDA and just plan on driving there in the morning. Staying in Spokane Valley or even just in Spokane isn't bad as well.  Downside of staying in Spokane might be that if your kids want to go back to the hotel for a bit, than a long drive will occur.

You could look at Post Falls, Liberty Lake and Spokane Valley. Hayden is also another option that I know about.  

Now one downside could be vehicle breakdown while travelling to CDA. I can plan for that a little bit easier but for you that might be tough.  

I thought about trying to stay out in CDA the night before the race but I figure that I will be up early that morning anyways so I can just get up at the same time, get my food and start driving over to CDA and arrive there as I would otherwise. If I stayed closer I would still be up but just sitting in the room eating food and being more nervous .

As to activities for CDA vs Spokane. Well CDA has the water right there, there are a lot of little shops in the downtown area where the race is. They have triple play at a hotel that the kids can go play video games, swim, go down slides, bowl whatever. Up north towards SandPoint there is an amusement park called Silverwood which has amusement rides and a water park.  There is a wild waters slide park in CDA too. Spokane Valley has a slide park as well though not as nice but cheaper to go to.

2012-12-21 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
maverickbassets - 2012-12-21 5:23 AM

http://www.travelcoeurdalene.com/kidsactivities.html 

http://www.scout.me/family-fun--near--coeur-d'alene-id

Good links to some family/kids stuff in CdA. Definitely would want to take your kiddos to Silverwood just north of CdA.....

Spokane is an easy drive to CdA. Also, look for hotels in Post Falls, ID......Liberty Lake, WA......City of Spokane Valley, WA......Hayden, ID.......Rathdrum, ID. All outlying areas to downtown CdA.

2012-12-21 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
maverickbassets - 2012-12-21 4:23 AM

Won't add much more to what's already been said except that you're probably looking at a minimum of 45 minutes drive time from Spokane by the time you leave a hotel and get on the freeway.  I'd be checking Hayden and Post Falls; I'm sure you'll be able to find rooms at a reasonable rate either place and both are about a 15 minute drive from downtown CDA.  Good luck.

2012-12-21 1:56 PM

User image

New user

I ended up finding a place in Post Falls.  Very cheap compared to staying in Coeur d' Alene.   Not really knowing anything about Post falls, it's only around 10 miles away on the map.  Hopefully it will be nice and easy race morning!
2012-12-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4544482

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

beatingpath - 2012-12-21 11:56 AM I ended up finding a place in Post Falls.  Very cheap compared to staying in Coeur d' Alene.   Not really knowing anything about Post falls, it's only around 10 miles away on the map.  Hopefully it will be nice and easy race morning!

It will be nice and easy, everything in Post Falls is close to the Interstate - then it is 70mph speed limit and less than 15 minutes to get to downtown Cd'A.  Finding a good place to park and the walk to transition will take as long as the drive from Post Falls.  

I'm sure we'll get some tips from the vets on where to park - I've lived here 53 years and have some ideas, but I have never experienced what it's like early on Ironman morning.

2012-12-22 12:48 AM
in reply to: #4544806

User image

Regular
PrivateIdaho - 2012-12-21 7:01 PM

beatingpath - 2012-12-21 11:56 AM I ended up finding a place in Post Falls.  Very cheap compared to staying in Coeur d' Alene.   Not really knowing anything about Post falls, it's only around 10 miles away on the map.  Hopefully it will be nice and easy race morning!

It will be nice and easy, everything in Post Falls is close to the Interstate - then it is 70mph speed limit and less than 15 minutes to get to downtown Cd'A.  Finding a good place to park and the walk to transition will take as long as the drive from Post Falls.  

I'm sure we'll get some tips from the vets on where to park - I've lived here 53 years and have some ideas, but I have never experienced what it's like early on Ironman morning.

I've been over there early morning for the start of Ironman the last few years. I park close to the college (well maybe... corner street is hubbard and river next to Molstead library) and walk maybe 10 minutes or so. I have seen other participants walking there as well as actually motorhomes parked on the street (guess legal to park and camp there since it is a public street) and people getting out of those and walking over to the start.  So I think that is a decent place to park and entry exit from there is really really easy.

I do believe as well that if you stay in Liberty Lake it is like a 20-25 minute drive. I have a friend who lives in Liberty Lake and we had a tri this summer about 2 miles north of the IMCDA and it took us that long from his house to the parking lot.  

2012-12-22 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I gave the wife a few options and she said she wanted to stay in the Residence in in Spokane Valley.  It is only $99 a night and I can cook my own prerace meal the night before which will be a great option for me.  The drive over may suck, but I'll have to deal with that.  

I'm sure during the week we'll hit the water park and the other cool stuff.  I'll have a rental mini van so hopefully it doesn't break down on the drive out to CDA from Michigan, but I'm crazy about being early so we are leaving super early to have time for unexpected problems on the drive and if we are making good time then we will spend some extra time in Yellowstone or something.  My kids get so excited just talking about this ironman/Griswold vacation. 

Can't wait to see and meet everyone.  It's going to be epic no doubt.   

Edited by maverickbassets 2012-12-22 4:22 PM
2012-12-22 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4545366

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
maverickbassets - 2012-12-22 2:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I gave the wife a few options and she said she wanted to stay in the Residence in in Spokane Valley.  It is only $99 a night and I can cook my own prerace meal the night before which will be a great option for me.  The drive over may suck, but I'll have to deal with that.  

I'm sure during the week we'll hit the water park and the other cool stuff.  I'll have a rental mini van so hopefully it doesn't break down on the drive out to CDA from Michigan, but I'm crazy about being early so we are leaving super early to have time for unexpected problems on the drive and if we are making good time then we will spend some extra time in Yellowstone or something.  My kids get so excited just talking about this ironman/Griswold vacation. 

Can't wait to see and meet everyone.  It's going to be epic no doubt.   

That's a good choice, your drive to downtown Cd'A will be about 30 minutes, and you are right down the street from a big mall with a movie theater and lots of restaurants - and also close to one of the better local tri/bike shops in the area in case you need to pick up something at the last minute.

2012-12-24 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

That is reassuring that we have a mall, bike shop, and other stuff close by.  I just couldn't pass up the $99 a night.

Happy Christmas eve everyone.  I got a 60 minute run today.  Should be fun.  After 3 weeks of training I'm in my first recovery week.  It is always an eye opener how tired you get after a few weeks of hard training. 

I won't lie I actually liked the pol last week.  Got some new paddles and new equipment always makes it more fun.  Never mind the guy humping the blower in the hot tub after my swim.  I almost got in there for an after swim dip until my oxygen deprived brain noticed him facing the wrong way in the hot tub.  I will never get in that hot tub again.    

2012-12-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4546654

User image

New user
Salisbury
maverickbassets - 2012-12-24 8:58 AM

That is reassuring that we have a mall, bike shop, and other stuff close by.  I just couldn't pass up the $99 a night.

Happy Christmas eve everyone.  I got a 60 minute run today.  Should be fun.  After 3 weeks of training I'm in my first recovery week.  It is always an eye opener how tired you get after a few weeks of hard training. 

I won't lie I actually liked the pol last week.  Got some new paddles and new equipment always makes it more fun.  Never mind the guy humping the blower in the hot tub after my swim.  I almost got in there for an after swim dip until my oxygen deprived brain noticed him facing the wrong way in the hot tub.  I will never get in that hot tub again.    

Dude,  you ever think he might be athlete with sore groin or abductor muscle

2012-12-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4546743

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
kenbert61 - 2012-12-24 9:26 AM

Is that wrong? LOL LOL LOL

2012-12-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4546755

User image

Regular
bradaskins - 2012-12-24 7:35 AM
kenbert61 - 2012-12-24 9:26 AM

Is that wrong? LOL LOL LOL

LMAO.  

I'm on my 11th week and today wasn't super fun considering the hard workout yesterday. 40 minutes on the bike followed by 2700 yard swim. Yesterday was 1:20 bike 1:20 run and 40 bike. 

Christmas day has me up at 4:30 to be able to get my workouts completed before everyone else is up.  

Anyways Merry Christmas to all. 

2012-12-31 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Not sure what I was thinking but, went out with a bang this year.  Ran 13.06 miles today, wasn't super fast, 9:13 pace.  I have not even been close to training at a level to run that far, surprised it went as well as it did.
2013-01-02 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I would have thought groin injury sure till he turned around and started fumbling with his shorts.  Looked at me who was running for the shower and said "I guess my shorts came untied does that ever happen to you?"  In my head I screamed NO!!!!!!  In reality I shrugged my shoulders and left.

Anyone else get the flu over the holiday break?  Thank God it was a recovery week so I didn't miss too much. 

13 miles to bring in the new year is pretty impressive.  I foolishly signed up for a 15 mile snowshoe race the last saturday in January.  I ran 2 miles in my snowshoes Monday and thought "this is going to be the longest 15 mile run of my life."  The snow is getting deep enough running is getting tough since it's like running in sand.  Might be time to hit the indoor track next week.

Any bike workout followed by 2700 of anything swimming should be scrapped.........

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57