BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4551596

User image

Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Savage8778 - 2012-12-28 10:24 AM Determined:
When I was reading your post about your plant bases approach, I immediately thought "he should read Eat and Run."

I am about half way through, and have enjoyed it. Also, it has made me break out of my "off-season" slump, aka eating cleaner.

Are you an ultra guy also?

I am not anywhere close to being an ultra runner. For some reason those books seemed interesting and so far all of them were. I have to say that i am intrigued by the possibility of maybe running a 50 miler in a few years ... I have already established my goals for the next two years and a 50 miler is not part of it ... :-)

2012-12-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4551977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

jimmyb - 2012-12-28 10:56 AM 2500 in the pool today.  Tennis ball closed fist drills, many laps with bands on the ankles, and one arm pull drills, and kicking drills.  I am sore in many places. 

So how did you like the tennis ball drills?  Could you get a feel for using your arms more during the pull instead of just your hands?

BTW - how do you like the poolside pushps? Fun aren't they!

2012-12-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Michael, I only plan to run 50 miles if there is a hurricane, our cars are destroyed and I need to evacuate. If that happened I would probably ride one of the bikes instead. My husband always rolls his eyes when I tell him you never know when you might need to swim, bike or run a long distance.

BTW- I love to read books about climbing Mt. Everest. Which is on my list of things to do.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-12-28 3:05 PM
2012-12-28 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4551345

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

d3term1ned - 2012-12-28 9:46 AM Nate - I just looked on your profile and all I gotta say is Holy S$%#&( Batman! I am amazed by the pictures that you posted and what you accomplished in a year ... you gotta give me some of your secrets! 

Thanks!

Actually, you are already doing everything I did to lose it.

Step 1) Change diet to a Plant-powered diet 

Step 2) Train for Triathlons

Step 3) Profit?

I noticed your reading list and "Finding Ultra" was the book that kinda got me started. I can relate in a lot of ways to the author and so it really gave me some insight. Some cool documentaries I watched are "Forks Over Knives" "Food Inc" and "Vegucated" All of these should be available on Netflix Instant watch if you have it.

Keep strong going plant based! Beans and nuts are your friends! They keep you full and provide good protein. Don't go to the store and buy all your produce for the week. You will waste money as your food rots away in the fridge. Try buying small amounts of produce every other day instead. This allows for the occasional time when friends want to get together and go out for dinner or lunch etc... meaning it's another day where your food gets older and wilted. Ethnic restaurants are your best bet for dining out. Stir Fry/Burritos/Fajitas can all be ordered with extra vegetables instead of meat.

Good luck, friend! It's been great so far! It's been 8 months and I'm going strong! Don't think I'll go back to meat and dairy again, personally. 

2012-12-28 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4551093

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Chunga - 2012-12-28 1:59 AM I did it! I just registered for my first triathlon!Wild Rose Women's Triathlon in June in Tennessee.I am very excited as well as apprehensive! Diving in.........Mary

We'll be here for you every step of the way! Congratulations, Mary!

2012-12-28 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Hi, Stu! Hope your holidays are full of happy!

Bikes: I have a mountain bike and now a road bike. Neither very expensive because I tend to break things when I don't understand them. After I get more confident on the bikes, I may upgrade.

Food: I've tried the paleo plan, and it made my face and sensitive tummy happy, but it takes too much planning and preparation. I eat what everyone else is eating, just not as much of the stuff that makes me feel gross. I can do some serious damage with Thai food. I'm glad I don't live near town where all to good restaurants are.

On tap for today is a 16 mile bike on the new road bike (Thanks for the vote of confidence, Randy!) followed by a 5 mile run. I'm having to do these "bricks" to fit all my run training in. Tomorrow is a long run of 12 miles.

Yay for those of you signed up for your first triathlons! You're gonna love it and want to do more.

Happy weekend!

Edited by Blanda 2012-12-28 3:49 PM

2012-12-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4549266

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Catwoman - 2012-12-26 11:53 PM Congratulations Nate! Was she surprised? Now you have to tell us exactly how you proposed!

Thanks! She absolutely was surprised! We started out the day at the Apollo Theater in Chicago with her family to watch "Million Dollar Quartet". After that, we met up with my brother and his wife (whose family also hails from Chicago) for Spanish Tapas. We had then planned to go to see some of the sights downtown. Katherine had mentioned to me that her favorite place was Buckingham fountain, so we made that our first stop.  As we took pictures, I "dropped my glasses" on the ground and while I was fiddling around with them, I produced the ring in true "down on one knee" fashion . She had no idea and was just on cloud nine the rest of the evening. We then went to "Howl at the Moon" dueling piano bar and celebrated the rest of the evening there.

Here's a photo!

2012-12-28 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Nate's got a great year coming up, congrats!
2012-12-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4552239

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
leechj - 2012-12-28 3:50 PM

Catwoman - 2012-12-26 11:53 PM Congratulations Nate! Was she surprised? Now you have to tell us exactly how you proposed!

Thanks! She absolutely was surprised! We started out the day at the Apollo Theater in Chicago with her family to watch "Million Dollar Quartet". After that, we met up with my brother and his wife (whose family also hails from Chicago) for Spanish Tapas. We had then planned to go to see some of the sights downtown. Katherine had mentioned to me that her favorite place was Buckingham fountain, so we made that our first stop.  As we took pictures, I "dropped my glasses" on the ground and while I was fiddling around with them, I produced the ring in true "down on one knee" fashion . She had no idea and was just on cloud nine the rest of the evening. We then went to "Howl at the Moon" dueling piano bar and celebrated the rest of the evening there.

Here's a photo!

So awesome!  Congrats

2012-12-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4552239

User image

Master
Aw, so sweet, Nate!!
2012-12-28 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Nate,
Thanks for sharing! Congratulations! The first of many happy memories with your wife to be!

2012-12-28 7:36 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-man, what a big December you have had. First the new bike and now getting engaged. I won't ask you to to rank them in order of importance Great picture by the way.

Randy

2012-12-28 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Anyone else having problems with Garmin Connect today? The site has been down all day long...
2012-12-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4552486

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Catwoman - 2012-12-28 8:41 PMAnyone else having problems with Garmin Connect today? The site has been down all day long...
Yup! I can't get on either. Must be having server issues. :/
2012-12-28 8:09 PM

Nate,

That picture is just wonderful. Smile

2012-12-28 8:12 PM

User image

Master

Hey gang.  Sorry this took a while.  I was traveling for the holidays, but think I am caught up with the group now.  Happy Holidays everyone.

Name: AV842/Bennet

Story: I'm entering my third full season of triathlon/endurance events.  I had been an on again off again exerciser for a long time. Did my first triathlon (sprint) in 2005, and while I continued to have an interest in triathlon, I let work and other things get in the way. A couple of years ago, I started riding consistently with a group from work. This led to a bit of running, and then a bit of swimming, and I have just finished my second full year of endurance events.  In 2012 I did two sprints, an Olympic distance, two HIMs, and a handful of 5k/10ks, and organize rides up to 100+ miles.   IMAZ was supposed to be my A race this year, but I tore a hamstring a little over four weeks from the event and was not able to compete.  It was a pretty big physical, emotional, and mental hit.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement.  I still went out to AZ and saw several friends and training partners have a great day on the course.  I'm past it now, the hamstring is mostly healed, and I am excited to train again.

I am active duty Navy, and will be changing jobs in 2013.  It will require a lot of time underway for the next two years, so unfortunately a 140.6 is not in the cards for the next year or two and I will be spending a lot of time on the trainer and the treadmill.  I am looking forward to putting the knowledge I have gained over the last couple of years to use at getting faster in shorter distance and HIM.  I believe the reason I got injured was due to not incorporating enough functional strength training, yoga, and stretching into my training, and will be working hard to ensure I make that part of my training this year.

2012 Races: See above....

2013 Races:  Carlsbad Half Marathon, Coronado Valentines 10K, Super Seal Oly, Leadman 125k Tempe.  More to follow as I figure out my work schedule.

Weight: Unfortunately, after I got injured I continued to eat like I was in peak training mode, and now have ~10lbs to lose.....

Why I'll be a good mentee: I have been a member of BT for several years now, and religiously log my workouts, and check the site. I have been a member of Randy and Michael's groups before, and am stoked to see Jason as a mentor.  All are very knowledgable, and I value their experience (as well as several other mentees in this group, who could be mentors on their own...)  I am a big believer in motivation and and don't mind receiving, or giving a kick in the butt to ensure training is getting done!

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Bennet

2012-12-28 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Rene - I have not not been able to get into Garmin Connect all day either ... 

Nate - First of all congratulations on the engagement. I am glad you got the bike before she said Yes ... :-)

On the nutritional situation I won't be as strict as you are from your statements. I decided to try a plant powered diet to see how it will make me feel but I have no intentions of completely getting rid of meat and/or fish. I like steak and Salmon way to much. I am giving this a try for 30 days to see what difference it will make in my body. I will be eating meat on some occasions but I want to throttle it down quite a bit. Going Vegan is way to strict for me. 

2012-12-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4552487

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
leechj - 2012-12-28 7:43 PM
Catwoman - 2012-12-28 8:41 PMAnyone else having problems with Garmin Connect today? The site has been down all day long...
Yup! I can't get on either. Must be having server issues. :/
They posted on their Facebook page that it's back up!
2012-12-28 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I guess the issue is resolved ... I can log in but non of my workouts since Dec. 9th are showing ... oh well ... time for bed .... 

30some miles on the bike in the morning ... cold weather gear here I come!

2012-12-29 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Garmin connect isn't showing my last downloaded workout either. I'm hoping the workouts from today will show up. This has happened before. Sometimes when you download other workouts a few days later the lost ones will show up finally on Garmin connect. Bike and a run on my schedule today.
2012-12-29 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Garmin connect isn't showing my last downloaded workout either. I'm hoping the workouts from today will show up. This has happened before. Sometimes when you download other workouts a few days later the lost ones will show up finally on Garmin connect. Bike and a run on my schedule today.

2012-12-29 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4552747

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Catwoman - 2012-12-29 7:34 AM Garmin connect isn't showing my last downloaded workout either. I'm hoping the workouts from today will show up. This has happened before. Sometimes when you download other workouts a few days later the lost ones will show up finally on Garmin connect. Bike and a run on my schedule today.

I've had this problem before. Try going to the main page and selecting the "Upload" button on the far right of the screen.

It should search for your device and give you the option to "Upload All New Activities". Click that one and see if it gets your data in. If that doesn't do anything, Try selecting "Upload Selected Activities" and choose the activities that you know haven't been uploaded.

Hope this helps!!

-Nate

2012-12-29 7:08 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone! I need some help from this creative group. I'm thinking about starting a triathlon blog. (insert collective groan from readers here). I like to read some of the blogs out there and think I would enjoy it. My daughter has maintained a blog (www.prepinyourstep.blogspot.com) for the last 2 years and has offered to set it up for me and teach me how to do all the technical things. I'm not looking to do this for some sort of self promotion. I will be on a sponsored tri team this year and would like to promote the sponsors and team in the blog, review gear, discuss races and other aspects of triathlon. I know I can do alot of that here on BT but its harder to control the content in an open forum.

So, I need a name for my blog (if I decide to do it). I'm 50 so I don't mind an old reference Wish I had some great give away to go along with this but I don't. Throw your ideas out. I've written down a few but just not satisfied with any of them. Don't be shy! Thanks

Headed to to pool on this cold and windy morning. Enjoy your Saturday.

Randy 

Edited by slornow 2012-12-29 7:09 AM
2012-12-29 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
I read a number of blogs, be sure to link it with an email update or twitter feed so everyone can keep everyone current. Training, race prep and an after race report are on my want list.

Let's talk bike fit and position. I just got a trainer and noticed a noticeable increase in power when going from the hoods to the drops on my road bike. I never felt it while on road or maybe I just attributed it to a more efficient wind cheating position. I'm assuming my hip angle is changing.

While at the gym yesterday, I experimented with a spin bike than has a watt meter on it. I diffidently picked up more watts while I was in a lower position.

I need to take a photo of me in position on my tri bike and let you guys give me some tips. Never had a proper bike fit, just fiddled with the fit until I was comfortable.

Any ideas or prior experience?
Brian

Just thought about the photos on my profile page...maybe they can help.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=2...

2012-12-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4552834

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

pvfd304 - 2012-12-29 8:51 AM I read a number of blogs, be sure to link it with an email update or twitter feed so everyone can keep everyone current. Training, race prep and an after race report are on my want list. Let's talk bike fit and position. I just got a trainer and noticed a noticeable increase in power when going from the hoods to the drops on my road bike. I never felt it while on road or maybe I just attributed it to a more efficient wind cheating position. I'm assuming my hip angle is changing. While at the gym yesterday, I experimented with a spin bike than has a watt meter on it. I diffidently picked up more watts while I was in a lower position. I need to take a photo of me in position on my tri bike and let you guys give me some tips. Never had a proper bike fit, just fiddled with the fit until I was comfortable. Any ideas or prior experience? Brian Just thought about the photos on my profile page...maybe they can help. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=2...

do you do a lot of core work?  Just a thought.  I know that helps a ton when your upper body can support itself in the hoods. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66