BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-28 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Well, here I sit at work and I feel super lazy. The plan this morning was to get to the gym prior to work, but my wife and I decided to stay up and watch another episode of "Downton Abbey" (really cool show!) bad idea. slept through alarm, barely made it to work on time. Anyways, feeling a little down about it but I am going to just try and have a nice Run this afternoon to make it up.

2012-12-28 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4551184

User image

Expert

Morning!  So I've been working for the last month on creating a set of goals and a plan for 2013.  2012 was great but I wasn't thrilled with my times and I always felt like I was battling some injury.  So, below you will find my plan for the year.  I hope you will take a close look at it to make sure that my plan aligns with my goals and that the races I have chosen will help me accomplish my goals.

Here's the plan:

Goals:

1. Continue exercising so I can be happy and healthy
  2. Increase my speed in the Swim Bike Run by 10%
  3. Challenge myself
  4. Avoid injury

2013 Races

Jan. - Nothin
Feb.- Hyannis
Mar. - Nothing
April 14 - Wrentham Du
May 18 - Season Opener
June 15 - Patriot Half or the Ashland Olympic or Marlborough Sprint (June
July
Aug 25 Rev 3 Maine
Sept.
Oct . 6 - Smuttynose Half
Nov. 11- Chilly Half, gobblewobble
Dec. Enjoy the off season

As you can see, I want this year to be run-focused.  As a former CC and track guy in hs, a 9 minute mile just doesn't cut it.  Also, with the goal of being challenged, I've chosen the HM as the race where I want to gauge the progress (I will also be doing 5K time trials each month to see if I'm getting faster as well).  I've also tried to incorporate downtime in the schedule with the hope of recovering for the 2 big HIM in June and Aug but also with the goal of avoiding injury.  One big concern I do have is that there is only 5 weeks between the two HM at the end, but with all the running I plan on doing, I think I can recover enough to see improvement during the last two races.

Please be critical and let me know your thoughts.  

Many thanks,

DQ

2012-12-28 7:33 AM

User image

Expert

justinfss - 2012-12-28 6:55 AM Well, here I sit at work and I feel super lazy. The plan this morning was to get to the gym prior to work, but my wife and I decided to stay up and watch another episode of "Downton Abbey" (really cool show!) bad idea. slept through alarm, barely made it to work on time. Anyways, feeling a little down about it but I am going to just try and have a nice Run this afternoon to make it up.

Justin - I hate it when I oversleep.  It throws my entire day off!

One of my favorite quotes is - "It's not what happens in life.  It's what you do about it."  So don't beat yourself up too much.  Instead, just focus on run in tonight and don't forget to stick something in the fridge before heading out so you'll have something to look forward to when you get back!

2012-12-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4551215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2012-12-28 6:30 AM

Morning!  So I've been working for the last month on creating a set of goals and a plan for 2013.  2012 was great but I wasn't thrilled with my times and I always felt like I was battling some injury.  So, below you will find my plan for the year.  I hope you will take a close look at it to make sure that my plan aligns with my goals and that the races I have chosen will help me accomplish my goals.

Here's the plan:

Goals:

3. Challenge myself
  4. Avoid injury

2013 Races

Jan. - Nothin
Feb.- Hyannis
Mar. - Nothing
April 14 - Wrentham Du
May 18 - Season Opener
July
Aug 25 Rev 3 Maine
Sept.

As you can see, I want this year to be run-focused.  As a former CC and track guy in hs, a 9 minute mile just doesn't cut it.  Also, with the goal of being challenged, I've chosen the HM as the race where I want to gauge the progress (I will also be doing 5K time trials each month to see if I'm getting faster as well).  I've also tried to incorporate downtime in the schedule with the hope of recovering for the 2 big HIM in June and Aug but also with the goal of avoiding injury.  One big concern I do have is that there is only 5 weeks between the two HM at the end, but with all the running I plan on doing, I think I can recover enough to see improvement during the last two races.

Many thanks,

DQ

First off did this list get the final approval from your wife and kids?

Looks good! I agree that the two HM's could be a problem, you may be burned out on the two half marathons, especially at the end of the year.

I think the key to your season is #4 no injury. Last year was a tough year for you in that department.

Oh and you forgot #5. enjoy more great beers from around the world!

Edited by thor67 2012-12-28 7:55 AM
2012-12-28 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

justinfss - 2012-12-28 5:55 AM Well, here I sit at work and I feel super lazy. The plan this morning was to get to the gym prior to work, but my wife and I decided to stay up and watch another episode of "Downton Abbey" (really cool show!) bad idea. slept through alarm, barely made it to work on time. Anyways, feeling a little down about it but I am going to just try and have a nice Run this afternoon to make it up.

It sucks sleeping in!

2012-12-28 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

My goals for this year.

1)get down to 190lbs. I have the mean(surly), now I need the lean.

2)Improve my bike

3)Improve my run

4)Enjoy my family-The best thing about triathlon last year was my 10 yr old son participating in them with me. This year my wife and 5 yr old daughter are going to participate. 

Races this year are going to be tough due to #4. Grandparents or alternating races with my wife will be necessary so there will be some movement in my schedule.

I am going to shoot for 2 Olys and 2 sprints this year with the odd run thrown in.

May-Drayton Valley Sprint

June-

July-Invermere, BC Heart of the Rockies Oly

July-Leduc Sprint Triathlon(1 week after invermere but it is home triathlon)

August-Usuallly do the Alberta Challenge oly but last year weeds were BRUTAL. Every stroke, I was pully weeds in the lake. Looking to find an alternative.

August/September-Either Edmonton-Dip, Ride, Run chocolate, Innisfail, Lacombe.

There may be a couple of more possibilities dependent on holidays. Such as Nelson, BC on the August long weekend and if cheap flights, somewhere warm in the spring!

2012-12-28 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Qua17 - 2012-12-28 7:30 AM

Here's the plan:

Goals:

3. Challenge myself
  4. Avoid injury

2013 Races

Jan. - Nothin
Feb.- Hyannis
Mar. - Nothing
April 14 - Wrentham Du
May 18 - Season Opener
July
Aug 25 Rev 3 Maine
Sept.

Many thanks,

DQ

That is a lot of races. I think you are experienced enough to know when to pull back if injury risk seems high. I personally need to pull back a little on races just to give me a bit of a break so I can chill between training plans.

Goals:

1. continue to exercise to be healthy and happy (sound familiar)

2. reduce injury risk (keep possible injuries minor and be aggressive at modifying program/streching to minimize downtime)

3. be active with my wife and kids

4. finish my first HIM and be healthy/happy with it

5. continue to strive to eat whole foods to increase my nutrition

6. try not to be overly concerned about weight but if 10lbs fall off along the journey then so be it

Races:

Feb: 5k Will run for Chocolate

March: Dallas Rock and Roll HM

April: Galveston 70.3

October: either Kona (lottery....haha) or Austin 70.3

November: lay in a big cooler filled with ice and beer.

One of my fav beers is Arrogant Bastard Ale. High alcohol, tough beer in a huge bottle. I love to give it as a gift to friends and tell them that I though this beer would be perfect for them.

2012-12-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4551282

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2012-12-28 8:09 AM

My goals for this year.

1)get down to 190lbs. I have the mean(surly), now I need the lean.

2)Improve my bike

3)Improve my run

4)Enjoy my family-The best thing about triathlon last year was my 10 yr old son participating in them with me. This year my wife and 5 yr old daughter are going to participate. 

Races this year are going to be tough due to #4. Grandparents or alternating races with my wife will be necessary so there will be some movement in my schedule.

I am going to shoot for 2 Olys and 2 sprints this year with the odd run thrown in.

May-Drayton Valley Sprint

June-

July-Invermere, BC Heart of the Rockies Oly

July-Leduc Sprint Triathlon(1 week after invermere but it is home triathlon)

August-Usuallly do the Alberta Challenge oly but last year weeds were BRUTAL. Every stroke, I was pully weeds in the lake. Looking to find an alternative.

August/September-Either Edmonton-Dip, Ride, Run chocolate, Innisfail, Lacombe.

There may be a couple of more possibilities dependent on holidays. Such as Nelson, BC on the August long weekend and if cheap flights, somewhere warm in the spring!

Two Olys and two sprints seems like a great balance!

2012-12-28 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

2013 Plan and Goals:

Goals:

1. Hit 10% body fat (~170lbs) by 4/25/13.  That's three years, to the day, from when I started my logging food and weight.
  2. Stick to my plan and program.
  3. Support my wife as she keeps losing weight.
  4. Buy a house and keep my finances in order (not a triathlon goal, I know, but certainly stress management).

Plan:

Until March 2013:

• Lift heavy, first and foremost.  If I do nothing else, get my lifts in.
  • Build base - zone 2 training on runs and bike.
  • Keep improving my swim form, and forget about the splits and pace.

March 2013 onward:

• Adapt and follow a balanced plan, with a focus on peridoization and steady increases in time, distance, and speed.
  • Lift twice weekly, with less emphasis on power.

2013 Races:

• August:  Chicago Triathlon, Wisconsin Dells Triathlon
  • October:  Chicago Marathon
  • Probably a couple of 5k's or 10k's, but nothing planned.

Winter 2013:  Chicago Cyclocross Cup

2012-12-28 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks DQ and Thor...Great idea about getting something in the fridge for recovery from my run tonight.

Really inspired by all the Trg plans they look great, hoping to get mine up here in the next little bit.

2012-12-28 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Gym rant incoming, feel free to ignore.

When did the curl-bros and lunks start getting up at 5am?  I lift in the mornings specifically to avoid these folks, and I ran into a pack of them this morning.  Seriously folks, bench press = all the way down, to your chest, and all the way back up.  The four inches of movement in your press aren't doing anything for you.  And then, honest to God, I see some doing curl in the power rack - with just the olympic bar.  The he adds 180lbs to the bar, and proceeds to "squat," with less than 20 degrees of hip movement.  Watching folks squat makes me want to buy stock in a knee replacement company.  

Long story short, what should have taken me less than an hour instead took over 90 minutes.  And next week I get to lift around all the New Year's Resolution folks.  I wish them all the best, but the harsh reality is that 90% of them will be gone by February 15, when things get back to normal.  But hey, their year-long contracts keep my gym funded.

/rant

I still got my 5k in, and my lifts in this morning, so it's still a good day, even if took way longer than it should have.  Also, new PR on squats (squatting deep, below parrallel), of 8 reps at 155, plus 2x8 @ 135.  

-Charles

2012-12-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4551416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-28 8:21 AM

2013 Plan and Goals:

Goals:

1. Hit 10% body fat (~170lbs) by 4/25/13.  That's three years, to the day, from when I started my logging food and weight.
  2. Stick to my plan and program.
  3. Support my wife as she keeps losing weight.
  4. Buy a house and keep my finances in order (not a triathlon goal, I know, but certainly stress management).

Plan:

Until March 2013:

• Lift heavy, first and foremost.  If I do nothing else, get my lifts in.
  • Build base - zone 2 training on runs and bike.
  • Keep improving my swim form, and forget about the splits and pace.

March 2013 onward:

• Adapt and follow a balanced plan, with a focus on peridoization and steady increases in time, distance, and speed.
  • Lift twice weekly, with less emphasis on power.

2013 Races:

• August:  Chicago Triathlon, Wisconsin Dells Triathlon
  • October:  Chicago Marathon
  • Probably a couple of 5k's or 10k's, but nothing planned.

Winter 2013:  Chicago Cyclocross Cup

Looks good! Great job on the weight loss! I hope to see you at 190lbs on about the same date as your 170!

What are the distances you are doing at the Chicago and Wisconsin Tri's?

2012-12-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4551445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-28 8:33 AM

Gym rant incoming, feel free to ignore.

When did the curl-bros and lunks start getting up at 5am?  I lift in the mornings specifically to avoid these folks, and I ran into a pack of them this morning.  Seriously folks, bench press = all the way down, to your chest, and all the way back up.  The four inches of movement in your press aren't doing anything for you.  And then, honest to God, I see some doing curl in the power rack - with just the olympic bar.  The he adds 180lbs to the bar, and proceeds to "squat," with less than 20 degrees of hip movement.  Watching folks squat makes me want to buy stock in a knee replacement company.  

Long story short, what should have taken me less than an hour instead took over 90 minutes.  And next week I get to lift around all the New Year's Resolution folks.  I wish them all the best, but the harsh reality is that 90% of them will be gone by February 15, when things get back to normal.  But hey, their year-long contracts keep my gym funded.

/rant

I still got my 5k in, and my lifts in this morning, so it's still a good day, even if took way longer than it should have.  Also, new PR on squats (squatting deep, below parrallel), of 8 reps at 155, plus 2x8 @ 135.  

-Charles

I am quite protective my morning gym time as well. I always repeat to myself"If the new year's resolution people didn't buy memberships, the gym membership cost would double" over and over again! Short term pain for long term gain!Smile

2012-12-28 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4551254

User image

Champion
Calgary
thor67 - 2012-12-28 6:52 AM

justinfss - 2012-12-28 5:55 AM Well, here I sit at work and I feel super lazy. The plan this morning was to get to the gym prior to work, but my wife and I decided to stay up and watch another episode of "Downton Abbey" (really cool show!) bad idea. slept through alarm, barely made it to work on time. Anyways, feeling a little down about it but I am going to just try and have a nice Run this afternoon to make it up.

It sucks sleeping in!

Usually I agree. Slept in myself today, must be something in the beer, ha. Felt good.

Anyways, in a bit of a pickle here. Had to take yesterday off due to what I figure was effects from 3 straight days of binging. I know my body can't take the booze and I am good with it now, but the food? Come on. Man. Getting old blows. So yeah, spent most of Wednesday on the couch and in the can so now I am looking down the barrel at 100km in 4 days. Well here goes nothing......
2012-12-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4551821

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

BigDH - 2012-12-28 10:44 AM Usually I agree. Slept in myself today, must be something in the beer, ha. Felt good. Anyways, in a bit of a pickle here. Had to take yesterday off due to what I figure was effects from 3 straight days of binging. I know my body can't take the booze and I am good with it now, but the food? Come on. Man. Getting old blows. So yeah, spent most of Wednesday on the couch and in the can so now I am looking down the barrel at 100km in 4 days. Well here goes nothing......

Hope you're feeling better!  I can't even fathom that sort of distance but, for you, seems totally doable.  At least the weather will be good for the next little while.

2012-12-28 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

Love seeing everyone's goals!  I was just working on mine last night but my browser crashed so I need to start over.

I managed to make it to the pool this morning.  The swim wasn't great but I went to the pool and that, in itself, is success enough for me today.  Now I can chill until my long run tomorrow - which I may actually do outside!

2012-12-28 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

I won't weigh in on the oversleeping issue, as I am still on vacation and have essentially been laying around all morning.  But, while sitting here on the laptop watching tv, I decided I better at least put together my goals for the year, so here goes:

1. Be the best Dad/Husband possible
  2. Drop weight to 180 by mid June
  3. Complete the Bataan Memorial Death March in 7 hours - March 17, 2013
  4. Complete the Milkman Sprint Triathlon - June 1?, 2013
  5. Complete the City of Lakes Sprint Triathlon - July 13, 2013
  6. Run the Quay County 5k - October 2013
  7. Complete the Master of the Mountain adventure race - October 2013
  8. Avoid injury, especially  @*#%$! shin splints
  9. Ride my bike 100 miles in one ride by December 2013 (have it mapped out just need to train and do it)
  10. Log 1,500 miles on bike
  11. Log 750 miles jogging
  12. Surf in the Pacific Ocean
  13. Identify 400 bird species
  14. Try 50 new beers
  15. Go ziplining
  16. Shoot under 85 on Tucumcari Golf Course
  17. Take the family camping at least twice

Ok so it is a pretty big list and not all pertains to tri, but I think that sounds like some pretty good goals for the new year.  Now that I have that done, I can get out and do my long run for the week!  

Edited by jlangene 2012-12-28 4:52 PM
2012-12-28 3:34 PM

New user

Thor: Come to Napa!! Cynthia and I are going to have a party, but I hear we will be imbibing wine. As a local, I can help you find the beer though.

DH: wow, 100 km... just wow. Inspirational.

Kim: Congrats on making it to the pool and good luck with your long run tomorrow.

Jared: Looks like a great year ahead.

I thought I would be able to make it to the pool this week by going to the community pool in the next town over, but they are closed too. It won't be until January 2nd that I will be able to get back at it. In the mean time, back on the bike. My hip flexor muscle is still sore so running is a week or so off - I miss it.

Have a great afternoon everyone!

2012-12-28 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
sawed off 30k this afternoon, another 70 to go.
2012-12-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4552261

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

BigDH - 2012-12-28 2:59 PM sawed off 30k this afternoon, another 70 to go.

WOW!  Very impressed Darren good job!  Hope you have a couple ice cold beverages to celebrate with!

2012-12-28 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Qua17 - 2012-12-28 6:30 AM

Here's the plan:

Goals:

3. Challenge myself
  4. Avoid injury

2013 Races

Jan. - Nothin
Feb.- Hyannis
Mar. - Nothing
April 14 - Wrentham Du
May 18 - Season Opener
July
Aug 25 Rev 3 Maine
Sept.

Many thanks,

DQ

I gotta say I have no idea how you pulled a 2:12 at a HM in November based on your lack of run training all year and, specifically, your injury and inability to train for said HM. I don't get it. If I ran as much as you I would be lucky to get a 2:30. Clearly, being a former CC and Track Guy has given you some sort of wild historical fitness that you can draw down on.

However, I refuse to believe that this super power you have cultivated will protect you at all from injury. And weren't you injured, and weren't you unable to run? I think your goals are results orientated when they should be process orientated. Take your totals from last year and increase them by 20 percent, then saw off some of your excess bike training and put it onto your run training. Hit those mileage goals and then you will be making progress.

Is Hyannis the HM you are thinking, because that is in 2 months. Sure run it, but don't plan to kill it by any means.

Also, hammering out a 5km time trail once a month will hamper your training for about 8 days around that time trial, if you want it to be an accurate gauge, so keep that in mind.

I don't have a problem with the races, frankly I think you need lots of races to keep you going so good on you for finding them and signing up, and I know you will complete them. My major concern is that you keep talking about results as being your measuring stick for progress.

Perhaps I missed it, but what is making this coming year run focused. Is it the races you are choosing or are you going to plan to run 3 times as much as you bike (as you did manage to bike 3 times as much as you ran this year).

You can go as fast as you can and avoid injury. You can go as far as you can and avoid injury. But you can't do both.

Sorry for the preachy bit, you didn't ask for that.

2012-12-28 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4551983

User image

Champion
Calgary
jlangene - 2012-12-28 11:59 AM

I won't weigh in on the oversleeping issue, as I am still on vacation and have essentially been laying around all morning.  But, while sitting here on the laptop watching tv, I decided I better at least put together my goals for the year, so here goes:

1. Be the best Dad/Father possible
  2. Drop weight to 180 by mid June
  3. Complete the Bataan Memorial Death March in 7 hours - March 17, 2013
  4. Complete the Milkman Sprint Triathlon - June 1?, 2013
  5. Complete the City of Lakes Sprint Triathlon - July 13, 2013
  6. Run the Quay County 5k - October 2013
  7. Complete the Master of the Mountain adventure race - October 2013
  8. Avoid injury, especially  @*#%$! shin splints
  9. Ride my bike 100 miles in one ride by December 2013 (have it mapped out just need to train and do it)
  10. Log 1,500 miles on bike
  11. Log 750 miles jogging
  12. Surf in the Pacific Ocean
  13. Identify 400 bird species
  14. Try 50 new beers
  15. Go ziplining
  16. Shoot under 85 on Tucumcari Golf Course
  17. Take the family camping at least twice

Ok so it is a pretty big list and not all pertains to tri, but I think that sounds like some pretty good goals for the new year.  Now that I have that done, I can get out and do my long run for the week!  

now that is a LIST. Love it!
2012-12-28 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4552261

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

BigDH - 2012-12-28 4:59 PM sawed off 30k this afternoon, another 70 to go.

Holy cow, that's awesome. Way to go

2012-12-28 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4550739

User image

Champion
Calgary
Wiff - 2012-12-27 6:50 PM

Right, I had a question for you all.  For those of you who do running events longer than whatever tri-distance you're training for - how do you train for those?  The running plan I have says run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and cross train Sunday.  That's great for just running but I have to bike and swim in there too.  So far I have been dropping one run and trying to get 2 bikes in but then I feel like I'm not running enough.  Any suggestions?

You do what you can do. Ideally for a HM you are putting in 40-60 miles a week of running. People think it is only a half or only a 10k or only a 5k or only a mile but unless you are training for the 400 meter sprint you are probably shorting yourself in the foot if you are not putting in 40 miles, or lets say 10-12 hours, or running a week.

Now I don't know what your limiters are. If you are limited by the time you can workout then maybe you can't put in 10 hours a week. Maybe you can only put in 3. So how you going to divide up the 3 hours. Well if you are running a HM then you best be putting all 3 on running. In fact, if a HM is on the horizen I would be tempted to put up to 8 hours on the running. From my experience though, once you get to 8 hours or running (if you run 40k in that time or 120k in that time), you enter an area of diminishing return and increasing boredom. So if you got 10 hours, I say throw in 2 bike sessions. If you have 11 hours, throw in a swimming session. If you have 12, throw in another hour of running.

I do say though, from a look at your logs, it is impressive that you have been putting in the 3 runs a week. Honestly, you keep that up, plan to walk a bit, and it may take you a bit of time but you will have a good time at that HM.
2012-12-28 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Strength training on Monday night and Rockin body with Shawn T last night...sore today but back to the gym tonight!  Work is sucking the life outta me!!!!!!

+

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97