Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-05-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
I would also like to ask someone why this new site is supposedly an upgrade? As someone who works on the creative side of websites, this is the pits. Things that used to take a click, now take 3 or more. Blech.

2013-05-20 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by gdale

Originally posted by [email protected]

Bio:

NAME: Rob

die hard Boston fan!

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. Welcome to the group!

Hey, I'm a Boston fan too! We are talking marathons, right? wait? what?

Rob, you should meet Kim! She had PF for quite a while and is also a CF freak. She's a super fast runner so she probably has some words of wisdom for you!

Give it up for Boston fans!!!!! Marathon and others!!!!!
Always seeking advice for this PF, its debilitating and while I love biking and swiming, every time I see a runner I get depressed.
2013-05-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Welcome to the group Rob...

PS- DID I MENTION ALREADY I HATE THE NEW SITE!!?
2013-05-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hi Rob! Welcome to the crazy train!

I keep wanting to write a new bio, but seem to be on my iPad most of the time, and who wants to do all of that formatting, etc!

Quick bio: My name is Kim, I am a youngster compared to Suzy and Linda! LOL, they are going to kick my a. for that. But an oldster compared to most of the rest. I live in San Francisco, so can usually train outdoors year round. Can/not always do!

Been doing triathlon since 2007, going from sprints up to my one and only IM in 2011. I love running the most, struggle with swimming, and have enjoyed the cycling.

Developed PF post IM and spent most of 2012 managing it with ice, stretches, foam roller, minimal running and managed to finish most of my races with a run/walk method. This off season, I really focused on functional strength, taking up Crossfit and gave my heel time to heal. Ran mostly easy and managed to run a pretty solid half marathon in March (with my elders!) My foot is feeling great, I hardly remember which foot it is, but I take a lacrosse ball to it almost every day and am happy to be healthy.

Happy to help with my anti-PF regimen for anyone ailing....I do think finding the root of the problem is a key ingredient to successful treatment. In my case, I always felt it was tight calves, however, as I have learned more about my body, I think my weak hamstrings led to over development of my quads, which then put me in a bad position, especially when running faster and when my core fatigued. So, I have really worked on building strength in my hammies and glutes and building a more solid core...definitely not just my old sit up/crunch routine!!!

Anywho, gotta jump on my bike before it gets too late...

Trevor and Linda, I NEED A LIFE!!!!

2013-05-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Elite
san francisco
And I hate to hate, but c'mon!!!! this new site is driving me crazy, it's so convoluted! I cannot even navigate the inspires, duh!
2013-05-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Originally posted by [email protected]

Bio:

NAME: Rob

STORY: Been doing Tri's for about 25 years, first started after high school (1984!). Not as consistant as I wanted but been steady. I have had the opportunity to complete one Ironman (one and done group, but I have to say that I am getting the bug again) one HIM and two Chicago Marathons (2007, 2008). Been lucky to compete in various other distances through the years. I enjoy the training, like the challenge and friendships I've built along the way.
My family is a bunch of atheletes. Dad has done HIM, marathons, etc; Twin brother has done 3 IM's and sister has done 2 Marathons. My dad got the running bug in the 70's and it's continued through generations. I have 2 boys (divorced) and they are athletes (10 and 8 years old). My boys are my world.
I live in Naples FL. I am very spoiled with our great weather, can train all year round. Originally from Boston, die hard Boston fan!

TRAINING: In Feb of this year, the dreaded Planters Facilitus (I know I didn't spell that right) hit. I have run very little (mostly none). First time major injure for me, it stinks . My biking and swiming has certainly improved. Right now training for the Naples Fitness Challenge (Sprint distance) on June 2nd and the Miami HIM in October. Going to see how foot is at race time for both events. If it feels bad, I won't do run.

Have for some insane reason been doing Cross Fit workouts, its a lot of fun (if you are crazy)
2013 RACES:
June 2nd- Naples Fitness Challenge (Reverse Sprint Tri - Run, Bike, Swim)
Oct 27th - Miami HIM

WEIGHTLOSS: Glad you asked! I have lost 20 pounds in the last two months, by eating 1500 calories a day. I was at 188 and am now at 168! Feel like a new person. I am maintaining 168 right now and back up to eating a somewhat normal diet of 2000 calories a day.

ADDITIONAL INFO: I have done mentoring groups before and enjoy the support and friendships in the groups. I hope my posts will encourage you, I always have questions and usually include something ridiculous that always seems to happen to me along the way. Thanks for letting me be part of the group. Happy training and happy postings.

Rob

Well, some of us may have a problem with anyhing non-marathon Boston related.....!!

GO SHARKS!!! GO GIANTS! GO NINERS!! Am I missing any?!?!

2013-05-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
AND.....I HATE THE NEW STUFF!!!
2013-05-20 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Welcome Rob, good to have you in the MG!
As far as PF goes, the key seems to be lots and lots of calf stretching and avoiding walking barefoot on hard surfaces, even at home.

Hope it settles soon, might be worth doing the run-walk thing like Kim mentioned. I managed to get through IM training this year doing this despite a couple of lingering running injuries.
2013-05-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Champion
Finally had an xray today and I am here to report that I have four fractured ribs, 4, 5,6 and 7, but no scapular involvement. Boo! Yeah! I'm so conflicted. Sports Med doc told me that I should expect the pain to last several more weeks, offered me Vicadin for at night (which I turned down) and told me to train on with pain as my guide. For now, there is no question that IM is out of the question. I figure if I can run nearly 15m yesterday, I am still viable.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I will be doing only what I can and not what what I would like to do. Can't ride the Parlee for at least another week for fear of falling again (seems my dr and the man question my riding skills) and for some reason backstroke makes me want to cry like a baby so it's out too.

2013-05-20 6:09 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

New user
I would like to join this group. I am a 50 something female working towards IM Canada in August.
2013-05-20 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Finally had an xray today and I am here to report that I have four fractured ribs, 4, 5,6 and 7, but no scapular involvement. Boo! Yeah! I'm so conflicted. Sports Med doc told me that I should expect the pain to last several more weeks, offered me Vicadin for at night (which I turned down) and told me to train on with pain as my guide. For now, there is no question that IM is out of the question. I figure if I can run nearly 15m yesterday, I am still viable.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I will be doing only what I can and not what what I would like to do. Can't ride the Parlee for at least another week for fear of falling again (seems my dr and the man question my riding skills) and for some reason backstroke makes me want to cry like a baby so it's out too.

So sorry that the ribs are fractured! That deserves a big AIYAH! Suzy, no one can ever accuse you of putting the cart before the horse, we know you will do what you can to prepare. Remember that old, adjust, improvise and overcome quote? Just listen to your bod. Love you, twin!!!!

2013-05-20 8:10 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Nadscats

I would like to join this group. I am a 50 something female working towards IM Canada in August.

Welcome!!!! How about a bio and a name??
2013-05-20 10:15 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
For all you new site haters, did you know that if you put the cursor on the person's photo (i.e., move the cursor to my pic at the left of this message) you get a menu that lets you select "training log", "race log", "send message", etc.? If they added "inspire" to that, I would be happy.

2013-05-20 11:34 PM

User image

New user
Hello, my name is Nadine. I live in Vancouver, WA. Decided about 5 years ago I wanted to do a Triathlon, but could not swim. Took swimming lessons and completed my first spint that year. I have done about 5-6 sprints, 1 olympic, 2 HIM, (Boise, Barbs Race), and did IM Canada 2011. They ran out of water on the course and...stung by a be 10 miles from bike finish (allergic), after a long delay, got going again and missed bike cut off by 4 minutes. I was crushed and gave up on everything, never going to do a Tri again, until....they gave all the dnf's a free entry for either 2012 or 2013. Decided this was my chance for a do-over. Everything happens for a reason, right? I have put much more training in this time and hope to be ready. So far this year I have done 2 sprints, several challenging bikes and I have an 81 mile this Sat and a Century next weekend. I am not gifted in any of the 3 sports and usually finish about bottom 3rd of the pack, but excluding IM CA, I ALWAYS finish and give it everything I have.

Right now I am going through the "am I doing enough", "am I going to be ready", etc., the "mental chaos" so thought being part of a group might helpful for me.
2013-05-21 5:17 AM

User image

Champion

Hello, my name is Nadine. I live in Vancouver, WA. Decided about 5 years ago I wanted to do a Triathlon, but could not swim. Took swimming lessons and completed my first spint that year. I have done about 5-6 sprints, 1 olympic, 2 HIM, (Boise, Barbs Race), and did IM Canada 2011. They ran out of water on the course and...stung by a be 10 miles from bike finish (allergic), after a long delay, got going again and missed bike cut off by 4 minutes. I was crushed and gave up on everything, never going to do a Tri again, until....they gave all the dnf's a free entry for either 2012 or 2013. Decided this was my chance for a do-over. Everything happens for a reason, right? I have put much more training in this time and hope to be ready. So far this year I have done 2 sprints, several challenging bikes and I have an 81 mile this Sat and a Century next weekend. I am not gifted in any of the 3 sports and usually finish about bottom 3rd of the pack, but excluding IM CA, I ALWAYS finish and give it everything I have.

Right now I am going through the "am I doing enough", "am I going to be ready", etc., the "mental chaos" so thought being part of a group might helpful for me.

Good Morning Nadine!

Boy do I have good news for you. You ARE gifted. You see triathletes make up a teeny tiny portion of the total population. We can swim, bike and run while others struggle to choose between American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and the Voice on any given night. You taught yourself to swim and now you are going back to deal with some unfinished business. That is perseverance and dedication.

Every single one of us in this group thinks we need to be better, faster, leaner or meaner. It's part of improvement. Embrace it and get ready to rock the IM!
2013-05-21 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Hi Nadine, welcome to the group!

Sorry to hear about the ribs Suzy, can you cycle on the computrainer?

I did an hour on a spin bike at the gym tonight, the gym I use is very small, just 3 treadmills, but being attached to the aquatic centre it's a hangout for pro triathletes in Noosa. Tonight it was just me and Belinda Granger - 36 times IM finisher and 13 times IM champion according to her blog.
She spent the hour doing long running intervals at almost the top speed the TM could go and didn't even break out into a sweat!

2013-05-21 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Rob

Well, some of us may have a problem with anyhing non-marathon Boston related.....!!

GO SHARKS!!! GO GIANTS! GO NINERS!! Am I missing any?!?!

Linda, I use to like you All I can say is that the Bruins look awesome and the Pats ......... well....... can we talk tri stuff LOL
2013-05-21 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

From one newbie to another welcome!
2013-05-21 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Ouch! Hang in there hope they heal fast!!!!
2013-05-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by copa2251

I did an hour on a spin bike at the gym tonight, the gym I use is very small, just 3 treadmills, but being attached to the aquatic centre it's a hangout for pro triathletes in Noosa. Tonight it was just me and Belinda Granger - 36 times IM finisher and 13 times IM champion according to her blog.
She spent the hour doing long running intervals at almost the top speed the TM could go and didn't even break out into a sweat!

AWESOME!
2013-05-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

How cool is that? was she listening to music or only the little voices in her head?

Since the ribs aren't displaced, I can workout normally so long as I can tolerate it and I don't change form doing it. The avoidance of the TT bike is strictly to make sure I don't fall again in the early healing process. Mentally, I need to get back on that bike though. Every time I drive by the spot where I dumped, I cringe and relive it. Need to get past that. Dino has even offered to come up and ride with me. It''ll be like having my own pro cyclist there to give me guidance and moral support!

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-05-21 12:47 PM

2013-05-21 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Well I'm back again....  work has been a bear since we lost over a third of our staff in March...   I will duck in and out as long as I can figure out how to post and find the forum.....

I will reserve judgement on the changes until it sinks in a bit....

2013-05-21 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

How cool is that? was she listening to music or only the little voices in her head?

Since the ribs are displaced, I can workout normally so long as I can tolerate it and I don't change form doing it. The avoidance of the TT bike is strictly to make sure I don't fall again in the early healing process. Mentally, I need to get back on that bike though. Every time I drive by the spot where I dumped, I cringe and relive it. Need to get past that. Dino has even offered to come up and ride with me. It''ll be like having my own pro cyclist there to give me guidance and moral support!

Suzy, I think someone mentioned this earlier but you might consider putting some non-deep rim wheels on the Parlee and getting used to the bike before going back to the deep wheels. This way you can gain some confidence on the bike in a more stable setup before you go back to the setup where you fell.
2013-05-21 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Welcome Nadine!!
2013-05-21 12:47 PM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Champion
Originally posted by gdale

Since the ribs are displaced, I can workout normally so long as I can tolerate it and I don't change form doing it. The avoidance of the TT bike is strictly to make sure I don't fall again in the early healing process. Mentally, I need to get back on that bike though. Every time I drive by the spot where I dumped, I cringe and relive it. Need to get past that. Dino has even offered to come up and ride with me. It''ll be like having my own pro cyclist there to give me guidance and moral support!

Suzy, I think someone mentioned this earlier but you might consider putting some non-deep rim wheels on the Parlee and getting used to the bike before going back to the deep wheels. This way you can gain some confidence on the bike in a more stable setup before you go back to the setup where you fell.

Yep, the mechanic I went to told me to try that in windy conditions. Not a bad idea to try the front wheel the next time I ride.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44