Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-06 7:31 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED
Originally posted by ligersandtions

p>3. Wetsuits -- for Socal, it's pretty close to a requirement!  For some of the races in shallow, protected bays/marinas, the water stays warm enough on the surface that you could certainly do without a wetsuit, but I don't know that it would be comfortable (temps would be in the low 70's at the highest).  Many places in Socal will be in the low- to mid-50's year-round, and for that, a wetsuit would be strongly recommended.  The lowest I'd (personally) swim without a wetsuit is mid-70's, but I'm also a weenie when it comes to being cold.  It's really dependent on the person.

This is a nice reference:

http://www.myweather2.com/swimming-and-water-temp-index.aspx

To give an idea of what is tolerable wetsuit free.

2014-01-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

How was everyone's weekend?  I had an extremely busy Saturday as I bit off way more than I could chew.  60 mile ride, a round of golf, and a dinner party back to back to back with no down time in between.  Pretty much wiped me out on Sunday as I was resigned to the couch and football.  I needed the rest and my legs feel much better today.

2014-01-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by luvschips I am sorry if I am asking too many questions, but this is all so new. What is a USAT card? Almost ready to sign up for one in April but it says I will have to pay 12 if I don't have one. I would like to do 3 tris this year. Thanks again! Donna

No such thing as too many questions!  Questions drive discussion and for anything you ask, there is probably someone else wondering the same thing.

USAT = USA Triathlon.  They are the governing body for the sport in the US looking after rules, sanctioning etc.  I believe they also provide insurance to races.  For any race that is sanctioned by USAT, you either need to be an annual member or purchase a one day license (the $12 you referred to).  Being Canadian I'm not entirely familiar with the benefits of membership but it appears to be $45/year so doing 3 races it would be cheaper to just pay the 1 day fee but there are lots of other benefits so it might be worth your while if you use those.  

http://www.usatriathlon.org/membership-services/benefits.aspx

I want to second that there are no such thing as too many questions.  This group was started with the hope that everyone would feel they could comfortably ask any question they want, not matter how simple or trivial it may seem.  More times than not, it's a good question.

As for the USAT, I only signed up for annual membership when I knew I was going to do at least 3 races sanctioned by the USAT.  You usually can check the race website for details to see if they are a USAT race.  Most larger US races are USAT (Ironman races), and smaller local races are closer to 50/50.  It is very possible you could race 8 times, and only 2 of your races are USAT sanctioned, so it helps to check first before signing up for annual membership.

If you do choose to buy 1 day licenses...don't sweat it.  It's not something you have to go out of your way to do on your own.  The race will handle everything in making sure you either have an annual license or they will make you sign the 1 day agreement right either online or when you pick up your packet.

As for other benefits of being an annual member...it's pretty minimal. 

2014-01-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Well after 3 months plus off the bike I was back on the turbo for a planned 3hr session, only managed 1hr 38mins. I found trying to maintain 90plus cadence hard work on legs (and backside) although HR was pretty low. Perhaps my maintenance plan is slightly over ambitious!!

Question: my swim time I have put into my plan BT plan looks a bit silly i.e. I think I put in 3mins per 100 as oppossed to 2.11. Is there anyway to alter this so that my workouts ar more realistic on the BT swim plan?

What is the best way to replicate hill trainning on a turbo? Apart from harder gears (I have no variable resistance on my Elite Crono) should you raise the front wheel? Does this make any difference except wear the back tyre out quicker?

Sean
2014-01-06 1:47 PM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Originally posted by weirdfish Well after 3 months plus off the bike I was back on the turbo for a planned 3hr session, only managed 1hr 38mins. I found trying to maintain 90plus cadence hard work on legs (and backside) although HR was pretty low. Perhaps my maintenance plan is slightly over ambitious!! Question: my swim time I have put into my plan BT plan looks a bit silly i.e. I think I put in 3mins per 100 as oppossed to 2.11. Is there anyway to alter this so that my workouts ar more realistic on the BT swim plan? What is the best way to replicate hill trainning on a turbo? Apart from harder gears (I have no variable resistance on my Elite Crono) should you raise the front wheel? Does this make any difference except wear the back tyre out quicker? Sean

3 hours on the trainer is going to be brutal even if you are in good riding shape.  1:38 is about 1:30 longer than I ever want to be on the trainer.

Not sure about adjusting the BT training plan, I'll try to look into it if I have time, but hopefully someone else who uses the BT plans can chime in.

As for simulating hills on the trainer, you just pedal harder.  Raising the front wheel won't do much of anything.  But one trick you may want to try is tightening down the flywheel a little more.  This will ensure that you aren't able to "coast" as much and you'll feel the resistance throughout the pedal stroke similar to how you would feel when climbing.  Most fluid trainers already do this pretty well though.  If you are using virtual power though...you might not want to mess with varying tensions.

2014-01-06 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'll agree with Jason, 3 hours on the trainer is quite long and even more so when you haven't been on the bike in a while!

Can you give an example of a swim workout that you want to alter?

2014-01-07 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I agree with Jason and Arend -- three hours on the trainer is hard, regardless of how much time you're used to being on the bike!  I think I've only done it a couple times.  One hour rides on the trainer are manageable and pretty normal for me....two hours is long and by the end, I'm ready to be done....three hours, you really have to want it (or be a special kind of crazy )!

What's everyone got on the schedule today?  I did a hard trainer ride this morning and will be going to my chiropractor tonight for some general maintenance (and checking out an issue I'm having with one of my ankles).  Have a good one!

2014-01-07 8:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

What's everyone got on the schedule today? 

Nothing I am afraid. Work all day then out all evening.

High temps for the next few days:

Today -15
Tomorrow -7
Thurs -5

So much worse than that when I get out of work. Running is out of the question (no gym).

I plan to try the swim sets that axteraa reccomended on Wednesday. Need to be disciplined and get on the spin bike sometime.

Come Friday we have 5 days in a row with + temperatures. So I will get some running in. Might force myself to go on my wii and do some yoga and strength stuff on the balance board. Its low impact but does help.

EDIT: I should add that I have gone alcohol free for January. So am coming off the back of 5 days of 8 hours sleep and zero empty calories. Plus have been keeping up with my 5 fruit and veg and water intake. Hoping this will kick start my wieght loss and it is certainly giving my bones some much needed rest. Basic stuff but it does hlep. My sleep has been sooo good.

Edited by badmo77a 2014-01-07 8:15 AM
2014-01-07 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

Well.... every road within 5 counties here is closed and currently the wind chill is -41c (-42F)

Soooooo, methinks some Tai Chi in the living room? I'm thinking an outdoor swim is out of the question :P
2014-01-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: Panther

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Panther

the wind chill is -41c (-42F)

My wind chill is ony -34c. Virtually spring.
2014-01-07 11:50 AM

La Quinta, California
Is anyone using, or has anyone had any success using the Phil Maffetone method for training? I am not a fast runner by any means. (10 minute mile), but it is difficult to run slow enough to keep heart rate below 127.

2014-01-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jerry A. Is anyone using, or has anyone had any success using the Phil Maffetone method for training? I am not a fast runner by any means. (10 minute mile), but it is difficult to run slow enough to keep heart rate below 127.

I don't know anything about it myself.

Can I ask where the number 127 came from?

2014-01-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
I have nice weather, and I'm wasting it. I'm sorry everyone! I'm looking up doctors & urgent cares.....ugh. I have an ear infection which means no swimming. And, since I fly, I can't work, either. This is no good!!!

Edited by parit50 2014-01-07 12:38 PM
2014-01-07 12:40 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jerry A. Is anyone using, or has anyone had any success using the Phil Maffetone method for training? I am not a fast runner by any means. (10 minute mile), but it is difficult to run slow enough to keep heart rate below 127.

I don't know anything about it myself.

Can I ask where the number 127 came from?

Phil Maffetone got me started! His was the 1st book I read & paid attention to. I have his nutrition & training book. I think that's what got me doing it right, & actually feeling good about training.
2014-01-07 12:46 PM

La Quinta, California
The program calls for max aerobic heart rate of 180 minus your age. I am 53, so leaves me at a heart rate of 127. When trying it on the treadmill, I can barely jog (4.2 MPH) to remain at that heart rate. The idea is that after a 3 month base building, you start to add speed work with the regular runs. Eventually being able to return to your previous speed, and perhaps faster, but at the lower heart rate. Prior to this, I have always ran/jogged about same pace ( 6 MPH), with varying distances, but never saw any improvement. I hoping for increased speed, as well as reduced effort in endurance events.
2014-01-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

User image

Phoenix, Arizona

2014-01-07 1:59 PM
in reply to: parit50

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by parit50

http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula

Thaty formula gives me a HR limit of 139 which seems reasonable for limiting all my work to Z1-2.

Its high for Z1 which seems to be the drift of his principle.

But above 139 I would start to be in the work zone where I could no longer converse. It would be effort work and so I underatand that he wants you to build tons of base below this kind of limit.

Takes control to run that slow.
2014-01-07 2:34 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally posted by badmo77a

http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula

Thaty formula gives me a HR limit of 139 which seems reasonable for limiting all my work to Z1-2.

Its high for Z1 which seems to be the drift of his principle.

But above 139 I would start to be in the work zone where I could no longer converse. It would be effort work and so I underatand that he wants you to build tons of base below this kind of limit.

Takes control to run that slow.

The plan is to slow it down to build speed. I'm pretty sure I can't explain it right, but, it makes sense in the book. I have no speed, but using his method, I can go farther without my heart rate going off the chart. I guess that's good! I feel better when I do run, as opposed to feeling like my heart is going to explode 30 seconds in. Once I get some endurance, I'll work on speed!
2014-01-07 2:53 PM

User image

Looking for a little swim help...

Here's my situation: I'm not very bouyant, at all. With a full breath, perhaps a quarter inch of my head is above the water-line. I accept that I don't have to be very bouyant to swim but I also believe that most folks who say bouyancy is a total non-issue are probably somewhat bouyant :-)

So, having said that, here's my real problem (as I see it) -- I taught myself to swim watching youtube videos and the "go til you start drowning and then start again" method so my technique is quite poor ( I do breath to the side but that's probably the only thing I do close to correctly). In addition, not being very bouyant leads to more problems with technique as I try to get in position for a breath. Finally, to top it off, all of the prior issues lead to me swimming quite slowly ( I mean really, really slowly) and that in turn exacerbates the lack of bouyancy problem. It's a vicious cycle that I can't seem to break.

What I'm looking for is some drills that will help me improve my technique which should improve my speed which will hopefully make bouyancy less of a factor. I could look up plenty of youtube videos myself but I'm hoping that with a little of my background some of the experts here could make some suggestions that are more likely to fit my problems rather than the random ones I would pick that might or might not help.

Unfortunately, a Masters program is not an option at this point due to driving distance and budget.

2014-01-07 3:16 PM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by parit50 http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula
Thaty formula gives me a HR limit of 139 which seems reasonable for limiting all my work to Z1-2. Its high for Z1 which seems to be the drift of his principle. But above 139 I would start to be in the work zone where I could no longer converse. It would be effort work and so I underatand that he wants you to build tons of base below this kind of limit. Takes control to run that slow.
The plan is to slow it down to build speed. I'm pretty sure I can't explain it right, but, it makes sense in the book. I have no speed, but using his method, I can go farther without my heart rate going off the chart. I guess that's good! I feel better when I do run, as opposed to feeling like my heart is going to explode 30 seconds in. Once I get some endurance, I'll work on speed!

Okay, I will be the first to admit that I'm not a very experienced or strong runner, but I have read a decent amount and put some of it into practice.  The key thing to keep in mind when you're first starting to run (and even after you've built up some volume) is to keep it EASY, conversational, to finish feeling like you had way more left to give.  Run training is different from swim or bike training in that your body has to deal with high impact.....for swimming and biking, you can get away with pushing it and feeling like you gave it your all with less risk of injury.

So what does EASY mean?  I'm one of those Type A, engineering types....I like numbers, I love all my metrics, I painstakingly went through to figure out my (running) HR zones.  I used them for a while, and eventually, I relinquished this for my run training.  Now I just run at a pace that feels easy and conversational for me.  Today it might be a 9:15 pace, but tomorrow it might be a 10:30 pace....I don't stress over it anymore.

But if you're going to train by HR, my suggestion would be to do a bit more research into setting your zones.  I'm not sure that 180 minus your age is the best way to set zones (though it will work for some people)....likewise, 220 minus your age to set your zones will work for some and not others.  Here's an interesting (LONG!) thread if you're interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1#

It also gives you a different method of setting your zones, using an actual test (for many of us, the test would be appropriate for a shorter race, like a 5k).

Note: this is not to say Maffetone's method is bad....I don't personally know anything about it.  But I'd be cautious of setting your HR zones by using some number minus your age. 

2014-01-07 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I agree completely with Nicole.  You need to be a bit wary of any HR zones that are generic based on age - they may work well but they don't for a lot of people.  They certainly don't for me.  I've always had a low HR compared to my peers, I can remember my swim coach when I was a kid always wanted us to get our HR over 180 and I would have to absolutely bust a gut to get there (and often didn't).  Meanwhile there were other guys in the lane hitting 195 and not working as hard.

As Nicole said, the key is to run easy.  A couple of years ago I did a "run every day" streak and my only goal for each run was to go easy.  I wanted to finish each run like I could go out and do it again and never feel any residual effects the next day.  It did wonders for my running and I never once worried about my HR.  Note that I'm not suggesting you go out and start running every day!    I took a while building up to that.

Once you have been running consistently for a while and want to establish some HR zones that apply to you then you can do the LT test outlined in the thread Nicole linked to.

2014-01-07 6:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by weirdfish Well after 3 months plus off the bike I was back on the turbo for a planned 3hr session, only managed 1hr 38mins. I found trying to maintain 90plus cadence hard work on legs (and backside) although HR was pretty low. Perhaps my maintenance plan is slightly over ambitious!! Question: my swim time I have put into my plan BT plan looks a bit silly i.e. I think I put in 3mins per 100 as oppossed to 2.11. Is there anyway to alter this so that my workouts ar more realistic on the BT swim plan? What is the best way to replicate hill trainning on a turbo? Apart from harder gears (I have no variable resistance on my Elite Crono) should you raise the front wheel? Does this make any difference except wear the back tyre out quicker? Sean

3 hours on the trainer is going to be brutal even if you are in good riding shape.  1:38 is about 1:30 longer than I ever want to be on the trainer.

Not sure about adjusting the BT training plan, I'll try to look into it if I have time, but hopefully someone else who uses the BT plans can chime in.

As for simulating hills on the trainer, you just pedal harder.  Raising the front wheel won't do much of anything.  But one trick you may want to try is tightening down the flywheel a little more.  This will ensure that you aren't able to "coast" as much and you'll feel the resistance throughout the pedal stroke similar to how you would feel when climbing.  Most fluid trainers already do this pretty well though.  If you are using virtual power though...you might not want to mess with varying tensions.

In the plan I put an anticipated swim per 100m at something like 3min and should have been 2.11 as a consequence some of the swimming sessions are too slow. I assume I have to upload a new plan which would overwrite original?

Thanks for the insight on turbo. I must be a little mad as when the nights are dark or having to train at unsociable hours the turbo has to be my only method.

By the way I have fitted aero bars on my bike as you can see from the picture. Anyone got any good ideas how to attach a front light?
2014-01-07 6:30 PM

User image

OK and last question bike HR zones tend to be 10 beats below run HR ( I believe this is due to Bikes being none weight bearing rather than me being exceptionally lazy on a bike - though this may be open to some debate!). Can you put Bike and Run heart rates in the plans separately? If Yes - How?
2014-01-08 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by weirdfish OK and last question bike HR zones tend to be 10 beats below run HR ( I believe this is due to Bikes being none weight bearing rather than me being exceptionally lazy on a bike - though this may be open to some debate!). Can you put Bike and Run heart rates in the plans separately? If Yes - How?

Your bike and run HR zones will most often be different from one another -- bike being about 10 bpm lower than run does not seem to be entirely uncommon from what I've read.

I don't use BT's plans, but I assume they pull information from your profile.  So if you go to Settings --> Training Log Settings --> HR Zone manager, that will give you the option to edit your HR zones.  Does that update your zones on  your plans?

2014-01-08 9:17 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
All ready for tonight:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16