BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) OPEN
Hey Dan - of course you can have more than one A race - I will probably add a few for myself as well. Just let me know what they are and where they are and I will include them on our list.

KC

Originally posted by pnwdan

Can we have more than one "A" race? My current focus is the Lake Padden Triathlon on June 28th. Call it a long sprint (.5 miles / 21 miles / 5.2 miles). My "B" race will be a to-be-determined late season Oly.

2014-01-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Nate.

Are you familiar with Total Immersion Swimming or Swim Smooth.

Check out these links, you will be inspired and find some good drills.

KC

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=total%20immersion%20swi...

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I haven't been drilling much honestly, but just started using pulling, and kicking. Bought fins (and jammers) this past weekend and tried them out. Really started to use bilateral breathinga couple weeks ago and feel like I tolerate going slower better.

Thanks for the tip. I will work a little more drilling in. Need to read about more drills.

Nate
2014-01-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

I am not. I have a TRI book that I have been reading, but I always feel like I have to read cover to cover. Just need to jump to the good stuff. I will check those links out.

Man, that spin class yesterday really beat my legs.

No workout today. Had a late work meeting and my wife made dinner. No more days off this week. Wish I had the motivation to get up early and get things done. Will have to do better tomorrow.
2014-01-24 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

I just bought the Swim Smooth book off eBay KC, it looks really good.

2014-01-24 2:03 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

G'day Team,

I hope everyone is having a great Friday! Pay day today so a bit more money saved for my P2. I keep going into the LBS and just staring at it all glassy eyed, lol! I should have enough for my deposit by the end of March, which cannot come quick enough. I'm shedding weight and saving money, so gotta be happy with that.

Also, I'm debating on whether to go to Ironman OZ this year to volunteer. I was thinking that I should really go and take the roadie so I can ride and run the actual course which is something I didn't get to do last year. What do you guys and gals think? The only thing holding me back from commiting at this stage is the distance (14 hour drive) in my car and the fact that I'll have to stay with my Aunt (who's cool) and my lunatic cousin (who isn't cool at all and a right royal pain in the proverbial!). Last year was pretty stressful being there, but it was also amazing too being at the Ironman and soaking up the atmosphere and of course volunteering at the finish line from 5pm til midnight was the cat's pyjamas! Also I got to take the camera down the beach for some awesome seascapes. Hmmm, talked to mum and she's okay either way. I guess I could get my long rides up to three to four hours in the mean time and if my cousin gives me the sh*ts I can just hop on the bike and disappear for a few hours, haha. Still deciding though.

On another note this weekend is AUSTRALIA DAY WEEKEND (similar to your 4th of July celebrations in the US). I have to say I am a proud Aussie, Oi Oi Oi, I feel very privileged to have been born in one of the most amazing countries in the world. Australia day weekend always reminds me that even though I've had my struggles, I am still very fortunate in life. Of course I am going to celebrate it with some training and a MTB ride through the bush!

Anyway, I hope everyone has an amazing weekend, wherever you are and whatever you are doing!

2014-01-24 6:48 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
You will - don't beat yourself up.

KC

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I am not. I have a TRI book that I have been reading, but I always feel like I have to read cover to cover. Just need to jump to the good stuff. I will check those links out.

Man, that spin class yesterday really beat my legs.

No workout today. Had a late work meeting and my wife made dinner. No more days off this week. Wish I had the motivation to get up early and get things done. Will have to do better tomorrow.

2014-01-24 6:51 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Enjoy the weekend Simone - HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

14 hours is a long way - whatever decision you make will be the right one.

KC

Originally posted by kruzmeister

G'day Team,

I hope everyone is having a great Friday! Pay day today so a bit more money saved for my P2. I keep going into the LBS and just staring at it all glassy eyed, lol! I should have enough for my deposit by the end of March, which cannot come quick enough. I'm shedding weight and saving money, so gotta be happy with that.

Also, I'm debating on whether to go to Ironman OZ this year to volunteer. I was thinking that I should really go and take the roadie so I can ride and run the actual course which is something I didn't get to do last year. What do you guys and gals think? The only thing holding me back from commiting at this stage is the distance (14 hour drive) in my car and the fact that I'll have to stay with my Aunt (who's cool) and my lunatic cousin (who isn't cool at all and a right royal pain in the proverbial!). Last year was pretty stressful being there, but it was also amazing too being at the Ironman and soaking up the atmosphere and of course volunteering at the finish line from 5pm til midnight was the cat's pyjamas! Also I got to take the camera down the beach for some awesome seascapes. Hmmm, talked to mum and she's okay either way. I guess I could get my long rides up to three to four hours in the mean time and if my cousin gives me the sh*ts I can just hop on the bike and disappear for a few hours, haha. Still deciding though.

On another note this weekend is AUSTRALIA DAY WEEKEND (similar to your 4th of July celebrations in the US). I have to say I am a proud Aussie, Oi Oi Oi, I feel very privileged to have been born in one of the most amazing countries in the world. Australia day weekend always reminds me that even though I've had my struggles, I am still very fortunate in life. Of course I am going to celebrate it with some training and a MTB ride through the bush!

Anyway, I hope everyone has an amazing weekend, wherever you are and whatever you are doing!

2014-01-24 6:55 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Hope all is well wherever you are. Brutal cold here again for the next few days - I hate it

Today - Swim at noon followed by a run on the treadmill.

I will check in again later.

KC
2014-01-24 9:45 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Here we go again team: IM KONA Lottery entered - wish me luck

(IMKONAlottery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMKONAlottery.jpg (48KB - 2 downloads)
2014-01-24 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
KC - Good luck getting into the Kona lottery! Nice job putting together our A race list.

Simone - Happy Australia Day! Enjoy your workout today.

I had another satisfying swim today. I'm just keeping it slow for now since my real training does start til next week No shoulder pain and that is good. Also enjoyed the hot tub today too. Have a good Friday everyone!
2014-01-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Jen, curious what kind of shoulder issues you are having or have had? I apologize if I missed it in another post. I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago on my right one and now my left shoulder is giving me some pain. It's actually the reason I have held off on committing to triathlon for the last couple of years. While at first swimming bothered me, I don't seem to be having any pain post-swim now so I have either modified my stroke to lighten the load on the shoulder or maybe it has just gotten stronger. The aching pain does wake me up sometimes at night if I sleep on it the wrong way (last night was a case in point).

2014-01-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: healthlawyer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy Friday Team!

Questions for the group................ I am an average runner and I know we should run with a cadence around 90. What exercises or drills should I do to help me get to that? Currently I am between 75 to 80.

Next question......I have been told to kick more, I have been told keep your calf low and turn them over quicker. When I look at runners they seem to kick more then what I am doing. Anything I should focus on here to use my hamstrings more?

Thanks!
Kathy (KTC)
2014-01-24 3:08 PM

User image

Chicago
Simone - If you have the oppurtunity to volunteer for the race then do it. It is also very rewarding and motivating giving up your time for the sake of others. Enjoy your weekend!!

Originally posted by kruzmeister

G'day Team,

2014-01-24 3:09 PM

User image

Chicago
KC - Best of luck! I really hope you get in.

Originally posted by kcgolf

Here we go again team: IM KONA Lottery entered - wish me luck
2014-01-24 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi all! Hope this frigid Friday is treating you well

Quick question, my hip flexors kill me on the bike which I find really inhibits swimming. I've stretch pre and try, with varying degrees of success, to do it post cycling to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for particular stretches? Also, any opinions on how long is optimal for stretching/recovery type stuff? Thanks in advance.

KTC,
My favorite cadence workout is 3x5s! so you warmup at an easy pace ( I usually do 10-15 mins of warmup) then go all out for 3 minutes (typically 5k pace or better, whatever you can hold), active recovery for 3 minutes, repeat 5 times (all in the name on this one). The trick is to focus on turnover as opposed to speed when you do the "all out" sets. I've found it to be incredibly helpful esp. when I do it on a treadmill as my fear of falling off the back of the belt really keeps my cadence up. Hope this helps!

Helen

Edited by mtrunner6 2014-01-24 3:39 PM
2014-01-24 4:42 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Hi groupies!
Still here. I'm running. I'm riding a little more now. Still no swim. I've got to get going in the water!

So I mentioned that Becky Lavelle a pro triathlete is starting up a tri -group in the area. Thank you all for your input on the subject. Currently the group is a tad jumbled right now. They have lots of kinks to work out. Things keep changing. The first group workout was supposed to be at a HS track. There were no lights! So we did some stretching and other strength exercises in a dim-lit parking lot. There were only 2 of us and Becky. Last night was a trainer workout. It was tough. Better workout. Still just 2 of us. They also changed the pricing. A lot. $250 a mo (4 coached workouts a mo). Custom HIM plan and full access to Becky online for questions etc. note: Becky is pregnant and due at the end of February. Does that price seem ok? Fair? So Im still up in the air about joining the group.

Really impressed by everyone's training in frigid temps. Btw, no one is from my neck of the woods eh? Central coast CA. Bummer.

My A race: Folsom Long Course. June 8.

2014-01-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4920811

User image

21 minutes on the treadmill and 21 in the pool. Was nice to be done before I started my day.
2014-01-24 9:06 PM

Hello everyone,
I'd like to join your group, I'm a complete newb in the whole sense. My name is April, I'm live in Panama City Beach (originally from Chicago-land area) and was recently challenged by a friend in trying a triathlon. A half-ironman to be exact! Having 6 months to train my only goal is to just finish! I've always been athletic and consider myself a fit person. I've been training for about 2 1/2 months and have a new found respect for triathletes! I consider myself a sponge and want to soak up all the information I can...
2014-01-24 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

KC - good luck with the Kona lottery!

Jen - nice job on the swim, I'm glad you are getting some warmer weather again!

2014-01-24 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

G'day Team,

Well after talking it over with mum last night I have decided to volunteer again at IMOZ in May. The main reasons being, it will be awesomely inspiring, like it was last year and secondly, it will give me a chance to tackle the 90k bike loop and 10k run loop to see what I am in for next year. I will have to plan ahead with my nutrition so I don't fall off the weight loss wagon, but I'm determined to get to IMOZ 2015, fit, lean and healthy, so I just need to keep my focus.

So what's everyone else got planned for the weekend? I'm hoping to head out on the bike this evening and then tomorrow walk to the pool for another swim. I start running again on Tuesday, so I'm pretty excited about that. The foam roller is poised and ready for extra use to keep the calf muscles supple and happy.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014-01-25 1:06 AM
in reply to: #4938188

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I'm paying the price for my stupidity. I ran far too hard last weekend. It was down hill and I wanted to see if my calves would complain at race pace.

I blew past race pace down to a brief sub 5 min/ mile run. It felt great, but two days ago I woke up with a weird pain and some swelling in my ankle.

I can walk and run without extra pain. Its just there. It even hurts a little when pushing off the wall while swimming. Ugh.

2014-01-25 2:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Sorry to hear that Dan, when you say you felt a weird pain was it in your achilles or calf muscle? I've had problems with both in the past and am just getting over a calf tear. If it is just severe cramping from dehydration, a magnesium supplement may help. I haven't had any cramps or calf pain on the bike or in the pool since I've been taking one. I start back running on Tuesday, so I'll let you know how that works.

Originally posted by pnwdan I'm paying the price for my stupidity. I ran far too hard last weekend. It was down hill and I wanted to see if my calves would complain at race pace. I blew past race pace down to a brief sub 5 min/ mile run. It felt great, but two days ago I woke up with a weird pain and some swelling in my ankle. I can walk and run without extra pain. Its just there. It even hurts a little when pushing off the wall while swimming. Ugh.

2014-01-25 5:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dan,

You may have just pushed to hard during that run. Take it easy and RICE and see what happens in a few days. There has been times where pushing off the wall in the pool has bothered me and I can typically trace it back to a previous hard run workout. Also look back at your nutrient, did you have enough, did you get enough recovery?

Kathy (KTC)

Originally posted by pnwdan

I'm paying the price for my stupidity. I ran far too hard last weekend. It was down hill and I wanted to see if my calves would complain at race pace.

I blew past race pace down to a brief sub 5 min/ mile run. It felt great, but two days ago I woke up with a weird pain and some swelling in my ankle.

I can walk and run without extra pain. Its just there. It even hurts a little when pushing off the wall while swimming. Ugh.
2014-01-25 5:09 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Extreme Veteran
Helen, my first thought after reading your post was do you have a good bike fit. Your hip flexiors can bother you if you are not fitted correctly on the bike. The other thing I was thinking is that you may need to strengthening your flexiors. Besides focusing on stretching add some strengthening excersises to it as well. And that is my 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback on the run. I will give that a try.

Originally posted by mtrunner6

Hi all! Hope this frigid Friday is treating you well

Quick question, my hip flexors kill me on the bike which I find really inhibits swimming. I've stretch pre and try, with varying degrees of success, to do it post cycling to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for particular stretches? Also, any opinions on how long is optimal for stretching/recovery type stuff? Thanks in advance.

KTC,
My favorite cadence workout is 3x5s! so you warmup at an easy pace ( I usually do 10-15 mins of warmup) then go all out for 3 minutes (typically 5k pace or better, whatever you can hold), active recovery for 3 minutes, repeat 5 times (all in the name on this one). The trick is to focus on turnover as opposed to speed when you do the "all out" sets. I've found it to be incredibly helpful esp. when I do it on a treadmill as my fear of falling off the back of the belt really keeps my cadence up. Hope this helps!

Helen

2014-01-25 5:24 AM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Elena,
Sorry to hear about the tri group disorganziation. Hopefully it will get better. As to your question about the cost, the question is do you think you will get $250 worth out of being a part of that group? I have worked with 2 different coaches and they charge very differently, one was out of state and the other local. Every time I think about looking for a new coach my husband asks me will this one get you across the finish line with the goals you have in mind and will they actually listen and answer questions for you. Also I would ask about how the baby will effect her training as you will want to start building that relationship now with a coach and that first coach I had to leave after she had a baby as she was not there for me like she was before and I didn't feel like I was getting my moneys worth.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by EV3110

Hi groupies!
Still here. I'm running. I'm riding a little more now. Still no swim. I've got to get going in the water!

So I mentioned that Becky Lavelle a pro triathlete is starting up a tri -group in the area. Thank you all for your input on the subject. Currently the group is a tad jumbled right now. They have lots of kinks to work out. Things keep changing. The first group workout was supposed to be at a HS track. There were no lights! So we did some stretching and other strength exercises in a dim-lit parking lot. There were only 2 of us and Becky. Last night was a trainer workout. It was tough. Better workout. Still just 2 of us. They also changed the pricing. A lot. $250 a mo (4 coached workouts a mo). Custom HIM plan and full access to Becky online for questions etc. note: Becky is pregnant and due at the end of February. Does that price seem ok? Fair? So Im still up in the air about joining the group.

Really impressed by everyone's training in frigid temps. Btw, no one is from my neck of the woods eh? Central coast CA. Bummer.

My A race: Folsom Long Course. June 8.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30095 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.