BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-18 8:47 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by wenceslasz

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=518558&posts=1#M5014348

If this works then the race report is done.  It may be a little bit verbose.

Great read, George! Lots of detail. I love it! That's one heck of an experience. Cold water, ducks, a cannon start, crazy drivers, mixed weather, etc. You sound like you just took it all in stride and enjoyed every minute of it. Way to go!

2014-06-18 9:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=518558&posts=1#M5014348

Great read, George! Lots of detail. I love it! That's one heck of an experience. Cold water, ducks, a cannon start, crazy drivers, mixed weather, etc. You sound like you just took it all in stride and enjoyed every minute of it. Way to go!

George
X2 above + Just Glad!! You avoided that close call!! Thats some Split second skill.

Congrats Man!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-06-18 9:21 PM
2014-06-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nicole14e

It's good to be back, thanks for the welcome!

As for questions for my upcoming tri, I think any hints with the transitions would be great. I have talked with some of my tri club members about it, but not enough. I haven't really practiced them at all, so I have no idea what to expect.

Mehaner - I am not sure if this will hurt your ankle, but a great workout when you are injured is aquajogging. I did it in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and was able to come back in 6 weeks and didn't feel too far behind. It's incredibly boring though, just to warn you. Not sure how this will feel on your ankle, but it's worth a try! http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/a-new-kind-of-brick-try-aq...

George, glad to hear you had a good time! Can't wait to see your RR

Thoughts on transitions. Keep it simple and put things in the order you need them. Check out the first pic in an old blog post of mine (click on it to enlarge). http://blog.ransick.org/2010/05/my-first-tri.html

- helmet upside down and backwards on aero bars
- sunglasses in helmet
- beach towel folded in a quarter
- bike shoes closest to the front since you use them first
- before the race, put your race socks on then unroll them so you can easily roll them on wet feet
- run shoes next with number belt and hat sitting on top of them
- put everything else you don't use during the race behind your shoes and in a bag.

I like to visualize the transitions before the race since things can be kind of hectic. After my bike is racked and gear laid out, I count how many rows my bike is from the T1 entrance and T2 entrance. Then I walk over to the swim exit and jog up the hill and in the T1 entrance, counting rows until I get to mine and find my bike. In my mind, I roll on socks, put on shoes, sunglasses, helmet then jog/walk out the T1 exit. Same thing for T2, I jog in, count rows to get to my bike, then in my mind, rack bike, helmet off, change shoes, put on number belt and jog/walk out.

Keep it simple. You can eat and drink on the bike so no need to waste time in transition.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Anyone else have transition tips?
2014-06-18 9:28 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by cadnams

Hey, has anyone come across a hamstring/adductor injury (near the knee) that only affects you when you ride...? I have been fighting with this for three weeks and no improvement is happening. I can feel my bike strength fading away... I can run without any pain at all, but I can't ride more than ten minutes. My physio can't figure it out.

The upside... I am getting a clinical bike fit which I've always wanted to do (but could never justify the money). Might get the pedal analysis while I am at it. Looking forward to that.

Sorry Chris, I have nothing to add.
2014-06-18 9:38 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by PsyTri

George
X2 above + Just Glad!! You avoided that close call!! Thats some Split second skill.

Congrats Man!!

X3, nice job! Scary with the near bike crash. That had to get the adrenaline going.
2014-06-18 9:52 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by cadnams Hey, has anyone come across a hamstring/adductor injury (near the knee) that only affects you when you ride...? I have been fighting with this for three weeks and no improvement is happening. I can feel my bike strength fading away... I can run without any pain at all, but I can't ride more than ten minutes. My physio can't figure it out. The upside... I am getting a clinical bike fit which I've always wanted to do (but could never justify the money). Might get the pedal analysis while I am at it. Looking forward to that.

Chris - Knees are hard to deal with at the best of times.  Last year I had a bad bike fit and I developed right knee problems (only when I was on my bike) and saddle issues.  A refit helped the saddle issues but the knee lingered until early April this year when I injured my calf.  For that injury I started doing trigger point therapy on my right posterior knee and specifically to my Popliteus M. (deep at the back of the knee).  Since then my knee seems to be back to normal.  At least it didn't bother me at my Oly on Sunday and I did use my knees as hard as I could.

Where you're describing the problem (medial adductor/hamstring), if it is close to the medial knee, could be helped by some trigger point therapy or Ultrasound.  Ask your Physio if he knows trigger points or has Ultrasound (I prefer Interferential Current but any electrotherapy would be useful).  I can't say for certain they would help but they wouldn't hurt and might help.  At least ask him to press carefully into the back of the knee and see if the Popliteus is tender or in spasm. 

In addition to this above - Lay on your back (floor or bed) - preferably in the absence of young children who love to pile on - then lift your bad leg and lay your ankle on the opposite knee (so your legs are in a figure "4" position and then put some pressure on your bad knee.  Not so much pressure, maybe 50% at most, and see if anything hurts and where.  If nothing it should be easier to fix but if you feel something the location should be the source of the problem.

Your problem is obscure but as frustrating as it might be keep at it - something will work.

2014-06-19 2:34 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Your race report makes a great read, George, you have a real way with telling a story. Glad you escaped the pickup truck unharmed and went on to finish feeling good. Re: running off the bike, I hear what you're saying, that really is something I need to work on too! (don't we all?)

2014-06-19 2:44 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by ransick
Originally posted by nicole14e It's good to be back, thanks for the welcome! As for questions for my upcoming tri, I think any hints with the transitions would be great. I have talked with some of my tri club members about it, but not enough. I haven't really practiced them at all, so I have no idea what to expect. Mehaner - I am not sure if this will hurt your ankle, but a great workout when you are injured is aquajogging. I did it in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and was able to come back in 6 weeks and didn't feel too far behind. It's incredibly boring though, just to warn you. Not sure how this will feel on your ankle, but it's worth a try! http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/a-new-kind-of-brick-try-aq... George, glad to hear you had a good time! Can't wait to see your RR
Thoughts on transitions. Keep it simple and put things in the order you need them. Check out the first pic in an old blog post of mine (click on it to enlarge). http://blog.ransick.org/2010/05/my-first-tri.html- helmet upside down and backwards on aero bars - sunglasses in helmet - beach towel folded in a quarter - bike shoes closest to the front since you use them first - before the race, put your race socks on then unroll them so you can easily roll them on wet feet - run shoes next with number belt and hat sitting on top of them - put everything else you don't use during the race behind your shoes and in a bag. I like to visualize the transitions before the race since things can be kind of hectic. After my bike is racked and gear laid out, I count how many rows my bike is from the T1 entrance and T2 entrance. Then I walk over to the swim exit and jog up the hill and in the T1 entrance, counting rows until I get to mine and find my bike. In my mind, I roll on socks, put on shoes, sunglasses, helmet then jog/walk out the T1 exit. Same thing for T2, I jog in, count rows to get to my bike, then in my mind, rack bike, helmet off, change shoes, put on number belt and jog/walk out. Keep it simple. You can eat and drink on the bike so no need to waste time in transition. Let us know if you have any other questions. Anyone else have transition tips?

Just as Mike has said, keep it simple, and go through a dummy run when you rack your bike. I do transitions pretty well exactly like this (apart from no socks for the bike, and bike shoes clipped to the pedals, run barefoot) The only thing I would add is to look around for landmarks near or lined up wih your place on the rack, eg a large tree, so when you get out of the swim all disorientated (I usually do) it's easy to find the spot.

2014-06-19 7:37 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you! Those are all amazingly helpful tips! I am going to look like I totally know what I'm doing!! haha

George, great RR! I love the part about the ducks...probably distracted everyone and eased some nerves!
2014-06-19 7:42 AM

User image

Carlo,
You should be able to find a smoothie "formula" on the No-Meat Athlete site. Yes, its vegan (but who puts meat into their smoothies anyway). Its nice because it gives you categories of items to put in which you can pick certain foods from. I'm not sure about the caffeine though unless you do a chocolate one with raw cacao. He also has a formula for energy bars.

Anna,
Fresh dates (medjool) are my go to food for long races (used them for the entire bike leg in Ironman last year). I've also experimented roasted sweet potatoes and found those to be pretty good too and may try them out later this year on my longer events.

- Todd
2014-06-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

2014-06-19 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e It's good to be back, thanks for the welcome! As for questions for my upcoming tri, I think any hints with the transitions would be great. I have talked with some of my tri club members about it, but not enough. I haven't really practiced them at all, so I have no idea what to expect. Mehaner - I am not sure if this will hurt your ankle, but a great workout when you are injured is aquajogging. I did it in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and was able to come back in 6 weeks and didn't feel too far behind. It's incredibly boring though, just to warn you. Not sure how this will feel on your ankle, but it's worth a try! http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/a-new-kind-of-brick-try-aq... George, glad to hear you had a good time! Can't wait to see your RR
Thoughts on transitions. Keep it simple and put things in the order you need them. Check out the first pic in an old blog post of mine (click on it to enlarge). http://blog.ransick.org/2010/05/my-first-tri.html- helmet upside down and backwards on aero bars - sunglasses in helmet - beach towel folded in a quarter - bike shoes closest to the front since you use them first - before the race, put your race socks on then unroll them so you can easily roll them on wet feet - run shoes next with number belt and hat sitting on top of them - put everything else you don't use during the race behind your shoes and in a bag. I like to visualize the transitions before the race since things can be kind of hectic. After my bike is racked and gear laid out, I count how many rows my bike is from the T1 entrance and T2 entrance. Then I walk over to the swim exit and jog up the hill and in the T1 entrance, counting rows until I get to mine and find my bike. In my mind, I roll on socks, put on shoes, sunglasses, helmet then jog/walk out the T1 exit. Same thing for T2, I jog in, count rows to get to my bike, then in my mind, rack bike, helmet off, change shoes, put on number belt and jog/walk out. Keep it simple. You can eat and drink on the bike so no need to waste time in transition. Let us know if you have any other questions. Anyone else have transition tips?

This is a great explanation, glad I don't have to write this all out since Mike is on top of it.  Before the race I ALWAYS walk through each transition, generally I find I missed something or should move something.  Go to swim in, find the best route to your bike.  I always put on my helmet first and buckle because there is a penalty attached.  I lay out things I need either inside my helmet (sunglasses) or shoes (socks, body glide, inhaler) so that I HAVE to see them and use them before I take off.  Same with T2, walk from bike in, put your race belt and socks and hat or whatever in your shoes, and walk through run out.  Gives me a lot of calm about those parts of the race while I have lots of nervous energy to work off anyway.

2014-06-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

RE: Transitions

The only thing I'd add is in your 3 to 4 weeks of training, make transition practice part of your training schedule. I would repeat 3 to 5 times per session, working out the kinks and timing yourself. The adrenaline and higher HR you have on race day can make you shaky and your mind speed up. So, I try to practice running in and biking out, biking in and running out. If you have practice staying calm and stepping through a scripted transition, you will fare better on race day. Hope this helps.
2014-06-19 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Todd - I found it interesting that you ate Medjool dates for your IM.  I was curious - How many did you eat per hour?  My wife is Vegan and I like dates but I wonder if they'd be too sweet for me.  On my Saturday ride I'm going to carry a supply of my wife's "Energy Bars" for a 4:30 ride and see how well they work.  They may be a bit high in fibre but I'll see how it goes.

Nicole - I don't have anything to add about Transitions.  Definitely take time to know where your bike is.  Very important.  I did want to suggest you gather all your gear together and then set up an "At Home" transition area on your front lawn (or living room) and then just experiment with positioning and order.  I found I saved a minute in T1 and another in T2 by not wearing my bike gloves because I have so much trouble getting them on and off.

Carlo - For smoothies you can use any combination of fruit (fresh pineapple, apples, bananas, oranges or mixed berries are great); veggies like Kale, spirulina, gelatinized Maca, Camu Camu berry powder, goji berries, hemp seeds, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber and for flavour and caffeine(?) use Cacao.  Use Almond or Coconut milk.  You don't use everything just pick and choose until you get some favourites.  We really like the Maca,

A basic smoothie should include: 1cup fruit/ 2 to 3 cups of greens/ 1 to 2 tbsp. of nuts or seeds/ 1 cup of liquid.  Plus the cacao for you.

2014-06-21 2:45 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Anyone have any big plans for the weekend? I had a rough 11 mile run today but got it done.
2014-06-21 2:46 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Cool old train sign seen on my run.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (174KB - 2 downloads)

2014-06-21 5:46 PM

User image

George, I ate a date about every 45 minutes. I'm also vegan, so used to the extra fiber
- Todd
2014-06-21 7:36 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Hey, good luck at your Oly tomorrow Todd.
2014-06-21 7:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
So besides endurance sports, I like to cook.

DW was out of town this weekend so I cooked this for myself tonight. Delicious! The tomato has black eyed peas and mozzarella in it. amazing.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (137KB - 2 downloads)
2014-06-21 11:32 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Mmmm the grill looks great. Food tastes so much better on a charcoal fired grill, but we don't seem to get ours going very much at all these days. Must find the time!

No big plans this weekend- I was out for an 18 km run this morning but developed sharp, stabbing knee pain at about 8km so I called it quits. Went home, iced the knee, and now I'm really hoping that it's just a one off and will go away. Got a half marathon in 2 weeks!

2014-06-23 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I WANT TO RUN, GOSH DARN IT.

2014-06-23 6:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Anna

take it easy i dont think ill ever get injured if i am not running on the dreadmill i dont get far enough before slowing down under the scorching sun. So far i am only able to go 2.5 mi out before turning around craving to splash water to myself.

Goodluck on your HIM training.

Mike
I wish i can be a grill master like you!!!

You deserve Protein loading

Fellow Mentorees

Thanks on the nutrition advice . I'll try them on my Oly 8 weeks out , Sprint 3 weeks out.

Goodluck on all your races and training

Cheers!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-06-23 6:32 PM
2014-06-23 9:11 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

Hang in there. Have you had a doc check out your ankle?
2014-06-24 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mehaner

Hang in there. Have you had a doc check out your ankle?

nah, i expect all they will say is what i have been doing, compression, ice, elevation, aleve, various PT exercises.  there is nothing a doc can do for a sprain, really, just a waste of my time and money.

2014-06-24 9:21 AM

User image

Looking for a gear recommendation. Interested in an economical watch/HRM for bike and run. Would like zone alarms at a minimum and the best programming flexibility for the money. Garmins are probably out of the price range. Any ideas?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38700 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74173 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.