BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-01-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Originally posted by firebert

Welcome back to the living, Mike!

My garage (not insulated) is where I have my trainer set up.  We have plenty of room for it in the living room, but the wife doesn't want it there...  The good news is the cold front here means it's in the 40s (F).  Should crest 50 by afternoon.  And it'll be back in the 70s this weekend.  Planned interval workout on the trainer today, after work.

Anyone besides Gretchen using Zwift?  I'm strongly considering it.  Just curious as to people's experience with it.

I used Zwift last year - it was fun and I did a couple of races and got creamed.  Having a smart trainer helps the "real" effect, but as long as you have a power meter (or even virtual power) it's pretty cool.  There are a bunch of training plans on there and structured workouts, so it's becoming a little more training and less focused on social.  I might get back on it if I ever get in shape.  Another cool thing is that you can train or race virtually with people you know.

Setup can be a bit of a pain and some trial and error.  Biggest thing is you need your ANT+ stick REALLY close to your power meter or speed sensor.  I have a 6' USB cord from my laptop to the ANT+ stick which is right next to my wheel (Powertap hub).  I use a 32" monitor to make it a little more immersive.

You're still indoors staring at a wall , but it does provide some entertainment and training value.

2019-01-30 11:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

@ John: it's tough living in Central Florida isnt it? =)
My friend and I joke that were going to make FCTs (Floida Calibrated Thermometers) 70 is jacket weather, water freezes at 50, 40 is "you've got to be kidding me", and 32 is "This thing must be broken".

Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Here's another source for workouts:

http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/

They start at like 2000-2500 yards per workout which is pretty tough for a beginner (and me, right now LOL), but you could easily cut out a few intervals to pare it down.  I copy the workout onto MS Word, put it in big font (so my old eyes can read it) and print it on one page, then wet it and slap it onto a kickboard.  She also has a glossary for all the terminology on there somewhere.

Thanks Mike. Sara Mclarty/SLAP is actually the trainer that leaves the laminated workouts at the pool. They're more basic than the ones on the site. Taking some lessons with SLAP is on my tri to-do list.
2019-01-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

, Vermont
Morning!

Welcome back, Sandi!!! So good to hear from you!

Trying to be more consistent this week. Did a CX Worx Core class Monday followed by a 3 mile slog. Yesterday I did another 3 mile slog and had time to squeeze in a quick 500 yds in the pool. I had nooooo energy for the swim and I realized I had only had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a coffee and no lunch so I was operating on fumes. I can still feel my crying abs from Monday’s class.

I’m not on Zwift yet but am looking at it along with Zouvy(?). I am interested in an app that I can pair with my new Kick’r and get courses like IMLP. I think Zouvy has that. Trainer Road would be good but again, doesn’t have the course.
2019-01-31 9:07 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Rouvy!!  I've looked at it as well.  It has more real world courses, and I believe (might be thinking of the BKool simulator tho) that it has uploaded video courses as well, in addition to the video game style sims.  

I rode the trainer yesterday for 1:15.  Wanted to keep going, but my butt was killing me...  How long before a saddle is broken in?  Anyway I was watching pro cycling on the laptop and riding along, and for whatever reason that really motivates me.  It's a 'dumb' trainer - the resistance doesn't vary with whatever is happening on the video (unlike Jenn's Kickr), and yet still I would find myself falling into cadence with the riders.  Then I spent like 20-30 minutes trying to simulate the climb of the Col du Colombier while watching them go up, between high resistance climbing out of the saddle, and low resistance high cadence.  I think a smart trainer type setup would be great for me - I'm infinitely more motivated this way rather than just spinning and constantly looking at my watch to see how much time is left in the workout.

2019-01-31 9:09 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 @ John: it's tough living in Central Florida isnt it? =) My friend and I joke that were going to make FCTs (Floida Calibrated Thermometers) 70 is jacket weather, water freezes at 50, 40 is "you've got to be kidding me", and 32 is "This thing must be broken". 

:D  And it looks like our week of winter is over, things should be back up in the mid-high 70s next week, touching 80 possibly.

2019-01-31 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by riles32807 @ John: it's tough living in Central Florida isnt it? =) My friend and I joke that were going to make FCTs (Floida Calibrated Thermometers) 70 is jacket weather, water freezes at 50, 40 is "you've got to be kidding me", and 32 is "This thing must be broken". 

:D  And it looks like our week of winter is over, things should be back up in the mid-high 70s next week, touching 80 possibly.

John...I'm saying pretty mean things about you right now!

2019-01-31 11:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

2019-01-31 11:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in 2100 yards this morning, did a mix of kicking, drills and swim. I think I'm going to sleep in tomorrow as I have not been getting much sleep lately.

My hips are SUPER sore from my trampoline workout yesterday. Did not expect that. Hopefully this somehow translates into more power in my tris haha
2019-01-31 12:44 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Rouvy!!  I've looked at it as well.  It has more real world courses, and I believe (might be thinking of the BKool simulator tho) that it has uploaded video courses as well, in addition to the video game style sims.  

I rode the trainer yesterday for 1:15.  Wanted to keep going, but my butt was killing me...  How long before a saddle is broken in?  Anyway I was watching pro cycling on the laptop and riding along, and for whatever reason that really motivates me.  It's a 'dumb' trainer - the resistance doesn't vary with whatever is happening on the video (unlike Jenn's Kickr), and yet still I would find myself falling into cadence with the riders.  Then I spent like 20-30 minutes trying to simulate the climb of the Col du Colombier while watching them go up, between high resistance climbing out of the saddle, and low resistance high cadence.  I think a smart trainer type setup would be great for me - I'm infinitely more motivated this way rather than just spinning and constantly looking at my watch to see how much time is left in the workout.

If I end up on my trainer I watch pro cycling too but just suffer along at one speed whilst they do crazy stuff! I will hopefully get out on Sunday for a ride (followed by cake) as it will be 4c (40f) e.g. too cold for the floridians but tropical for everybody else! 

2019-02-01 6:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

I watch it too, on the Roku/NBC Sports.  I'm 2/3 of the way through the Tour de France from last year - don't spoil it for me. 

Got my first really good swim in since about November - 1800 yards and I let it loose a little bit.  Did some strength training afterwards.  This morning was not so successful - labored through a tempo workout on the trainer - OMG I'm out of shape.

If I end up on my trainer I watch pro cycling too but just suffer along at one speed whilst they do crazy stuff! I will hopefully get out on Sunday for a ride (followed by cake) as it will be 4c (40f) e.g. too cold for the floridians but tropical for everybody else! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-02-01 6:33 AM
2019-02-01 8:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
My ear infection and sinus infection are back...or, never really left, just masked by the antibiotics. Yuck. Another round started yesterday with the consequent missed workout. I might go for a walk later today just to get moving, but I'm def not going for my planned swim. Winter sucks!

2019-02-01 9:03 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike - I'm only up through Stage 9, so don't spoil it for me either!  (I do know who won, but that's just because I'm completely unable to avoid pro cycling news).  The Roubaix cobbles in the TdF is one of my favorites all time.  That and if they decide to throw in some dirt roads, like with Paris-Tours.  If it's just flat/sprint stage, mountain stage, time trial - its too boring and predictable.

Gretchen - sorry you're still sick!!!  Somehow I managed to avoid the respiratory plague in my house that took my daughter out of school for two days.  Poor kid, she had perfect attendance going...

2019-02-01 9:11 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Got a 3 mile run in yesterday, taking today to rest since we have a 5k in the morning.  I'm not racing, just run/walking with the family.  But if my daughter is feeling good I'll pace her to a PR :D  Sunday morning I'l get a bike path ride in, then it's my daughter's birthday party, then a Super Bowl party.  Good thing I took Monday off!  My first time, believe it or not, ever taking Super Bowl Monday off.

Most importantly though, I logged all my January workouts into the Training Log.  I failed to do that at all last year, or consistently the year before.  I've resolved to keep up with it.  I rode 130 miles in January.  That's on pace for 1500 miles for the year.  Which, as compared with every cyclist's annual mileage I read about, is basically nothing.  Everyone is like 6000-10000 miles annually......

2019-02-01 10:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Got a 3 mile run in yesterday, taking today to rest since we have a 5k in the morning.  I'm not racing, just run/walking with the family.  But if my daughter is feeling good I'll pace her to a PR :D  Sunday morning I'l get a bike path ride in, then it's my daughter's birthday party, then a Super Bowl party.  Good thing I took Monday off! 

I have long thought that Super Bowl Monday should be a national holiday!! OR...maybe they should start the dang game before 5:30pm!!
2019-02-01 10:50 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Got a 3 mile run in yesterday, taking today to rest since we have a 5k in the morning.  I'm not racing, just run/walking with the family.  But if my daughter is feeling good I'll pace her to a PR :D  Sunday morning I'l get a bike path ride in, then it's my daughter's birthday party, then a Super Bowl party.  Good thing I took Monday off! 

I have long thought that Super Bowl Monday should be a national holiday!! OR...maybe they should start the dang game before 5:30pm!!

YES.  This is important!  

Also - it starts at 6:30 PM on the East Coast.

Sappho tell me you are going to record and watch it the next day, it's on in the middle of the night for you isn't it?

2019-02-01 11:32 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Got a 3 mile run in yesterday, taking today to rest since we have a 5k in the morning.  I'm not racing, just run/walking with the family.  But if my daughter is feeling good I'll pace her to a PR :D  Sunday morning I'l get a bike path ride in, then it's my daughter's birthday party, then a Super Bowl party.  Good thing I took Monday off!  My first time, believe it or not, ever taking Super Bowl Monday off.

Most importantly though, I logged all my January workouts into the Training Log.  I failed to do that at all last year, or consistently the year before.  I've resolved to keep up with it.  I rode 130 miles in January.  That's on pace for 1500 miles for the year.  Which, as compared with every cyclist's annual mileage I read about, is basically nothing.  Everyone is like 6000-10000 miles annually......

The year the Ravens won the super bowl I started a new job the next day...that SUCKED.

As for annual biking miles, I get 75 in max (including races, lol), so you are ahead of me at least!

2019-02-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short walk to get my body moving today but not over tax myself. Turned out well, as I was able to identify and call in a tree down on the power line before it took the line out and caused an outage. Too cold to be without power!
2019-02-01 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've been tracking my workouts here on BT for over 8 years now - probably 98% of them I remembered to do.  It's really cool to look back and also see what I average each year in between or despite of injuries.  For what it's worth I average around 2000 miles a year on the bike pretty consistently, with a spike to 3K in 2015 when I really focused on it.  A whopping 57 miles total in January for me - heck I've done that in one ride several times before.  Tough month.

2019-02-01 7:16 PM

User image

Not a great week for me, my 5yo brought home a stomach bug and I wasn't comfortable being more than a short run from a bathroom...

I'm going to do a 20-25 mi "power ride" in the morning. I put my son on a 3rd wheel behind me and ride with the Orlando 1/2 Fast group. (~12-14 mph) John, they have a group that does regular rides on the bike trail in Longwood if your interested. Look up Half Fast Social Cycling - Central Florida on Meetup.com
2019-02-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #5254856

I have returned from the dead! I've been in bed (and at work sadly) with a crazy bug going around. I haven't been able to train at all which really dampens my mood.

Here in Bakersfield we are having winds of like 45mph so no biking today either Haha.

How do I reply to people? I know, noob question, but I cant figure it out.

2019-02-02 11:39 AM
in reply to: #5254873

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
James—in order to quote someone (so their message shows up within your message), you have to be on the website. The mobile version doesn’t support that function. On the site, it is very easy—just hit the quote button and the message you are responding to will show up in your text box.

2019-02-02 1:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

James—in order to quote someone (so their message shows up within your message), you have to be on the website. The mobile version doesn’t support that function. On the site, it is very easy—just hit the quote button and the message you are responding to will show up in your text box.

Writing it out the long way, you could copy & paste someone's post and use quote blocks around it.

[.Quote] Pasted text. [./quote]
(Remove the periods)

Will look like,
Pasted text.
2019-02-02 2:07 PM
in reply to: #5254874

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
^^fancy!

1:45 on the trainer today. it was rough, but done.
2019-02-02 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807
Originally posted by drfoodlove James—in order to quote someone (so their message shows up within your message), you have to be on the website. The mobile version doesn’t support that function. On the site, it is very easy—just hit the quote button and the message you are responding to will show up in your text box.
Writing it out the long way, you could copy & paste someone's post and use quote blocks around it. [.Quote] Pasted text. [./quote] (Remove the periods) Will look like,
Pasted text.

Whoa...that's like 1990s HTML and stuff. 

2019-02-02 4:06 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 Not a great week for me, my 5yo brought home a stomach bug and I wasn't comfortable being more than a short run from a bathroom... I'm going to do a 20-25 mi "power ride" in the morning. I put my son on a 3rd wheel behind me and ride with the Orlando 1/2 Fast group. (~12-14 mph) John, they have a group that does regular rides on the bike trail in Longwood if your interested. Look up Half Fast Social Cycling - Central Florida on Meetup.com

Thanks for this!  I have signed up for meetup and the group.  I'm looking for the power ride for tomorrow but I'm wondering if I'm a day off and it was actually today.  It's cool though, there is another group meeting up at Green Springs in Deltona which is a couple towns away from me so I may check that out!  I would absolutely love to start riding with some people.  Other than one charity ride one time I've always ridden solo...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8362 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa