BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-06-18 5:05 PM
in reply to: #805274

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Atl_runner's group - full for now.
This seems to be a mental health week or a recovery week for some of us! Fearless Leader--I'm glad to hear you are pacing yourself a bit. Training for an IM is some serious business and it does take a lot out of you, mentally and spiritually, too! Take all the time you need to start feeling better. The race is still months away! I am just a newbie, but already I've had several of those weeks where I either made myself physically sick or became this strange woman with almost manic episodes followed by blubbering away all morning crying sessions over basically nothing, except I was completely exhausted from training too hard (for me). I've talked to others who had the same thing happen, but I wished there was a book or something out there to warn me of it, as when it happened I thought I was headed for the looney bin! I almost quit all tri related stuff at that point! Glad I didn't. Hang in there! And remember we are here for YOU, too!!!

2007-06-18 11:38 PM

User image

New user

Moscow,
Hiya again-

off on a hiatus (spell?!) this last week--- so, what are we supposed to do here- I'm having trouble figurring out how this group works.

thanks!
aynsley
2007-06-19 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Aynse--I don't know if there are any formal rules on how a group is supposed to work! But I'm a bigmouth, so a lot of the time I just post whatever comes to mind at the moment! But I've noticed the folks here seem to post the beginning of the week what your goals are for workouts--and that's good. Nice to be held accountable in some way. And then if you have a race coming up, it's nice to post that and let us help ease the nerves a bit, plus then you can post your race strategy and goals, too! Post race reports are really nice, too! We can all learn from them! {Nice job Triforrest!!!!!}

Any questions about absolutely anything tri related are also appropriate. And then, there's my personal favorite--post anything else you like!! Heck, I vote we all post something totally non tri related today and maybe a pic or two where we are NOT in race clothing!!! Or post some poetry.......a list of your favorite workout tunes........the names of all your pets........what you ate for breakfast today.......an off color absolutely inappropriate but riotously funny joke.......and what you all think of the weights they have for half marathons--anything over 180 for men is a clydesdale, and over 130 for women is amazon!!! I think that is attrocious! {now I'm wondering if that is indeed how to spell that word....} I haven't been under 130 since I was going through my anorexic spell in college! If I got down that far now, I'd lose all that precious muscle I just worked my redbike off for!

Or, you all can just tell me to shut up!! I'm a bit of a postaholic....

Bill--good for you on TNT! I tried them, but they have all their training in Madison and wanted to meet at 7 am on Saturdays to run. Well, that would mean I leave my house at 5 am and what in the heck do I do with THREE little kids while I go travel 4 hours round trip to run with a group for at most an hour???? Didn't make sense. Plus, the fundraising seemed like a full time job to me!! So, instead, I'm doing the MS 150--two day ride for multiple sclerosis-August 4-5. We only have to raise $300. A little more my speed. And I can just train for it on my own. No big whoop. But, I commend you for the effort here! And I'm told the TNT people have a BLAST at the mary's. Plus, you get to wear my favorite color--purple!!

Greycat--congrats on the new job! Hope your head feels okay today Juices indeed! So, you flipping McDonald's burgers now?? {kidding......had my coffee this morning and it makes me rather silly!!}

Yep, me thinks I'm starting to feel a tad bit better.....one more rest day and then I'll go back to training cuz I'm superwoman with the determination of superman on supersteroids!!!!
2007-06-19 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Bill, I think it is great that you are doing the Chicago marathon. Your guts to sign up and do this is inspiring me! I got lazy and didn't post my schedule, so I will now.

Monday-1 1/2 hour bike on trainer.
Tuesday-1 1/2 hour swim-3500, some paddle work
Wednesday-1 1/2 hour run, maybe with some farlek work
Thursday-probably off. On call Wed night.
Friday-1 hour bike on trainer in am. 1 1/2 hour swim in pm with a short run after if time permits
Saturday-100K century ride (If I can get my pedals off my tri bike and onto my road bike. They seem to be stuck at the moment!)
Sunday-2 hour run, easy.

Atl runner, we probably all know exactly what you are talking about. After I didn't even come close to my goals in my first race of the year, it really had me questioning if it was even worth continuing to try tris. I am only good at one of the 3 disciplines. Then, I had to consider if I was just doing this to do well, or to have fun, gain fitness, build self-confidence doing things I am not good at doing etc. These self-examinations are all part of the process.

Graycat, congratulations! Wish we could all go out to the pub for a pint or 2 or 3.....

Phoenixrising, you are absolutely right about those weight classes! They are crazy! I hope you are feeling better.

Edited by kimje 2007-06-19 7:15 AM
2007-06-19 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Kimje-- you have a 100K ride on Saturday???!!! Holy crap, woman! That's some ambition! At least with the rest of your schedule!! And you are good at all three sports, because you did indeed complete all three in your races and survived! You know how many people won't do a tri because they can't (or won't) swim? Or can't/won't run? And I even know of a couple of us who even suck at the bike, but we do this anyway! Be proud of your accomplishments!! And go ahead and stay off the blasted scale
2007-06-19 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
I can't remember who came up with the idea, but posting your planned workouts was a great idea.  For one, I really have to think about my schedule and be organized to get them all in.  Second, knowing that someone might "call me out" for missing a workout adds to the motivation.  Sooooooo.....

Mon  - Planned Day Off

Tue   - Transition Practice - 6 x (R 4:00, B: 10:00, R 4:00 )

Wed  - 1 Hour Swim

Thur   - 30 Min Swim & 30 min bike

Fri      -  1:20 Run

Sat    - 1 hour Bike

2007-06-19 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

My schedule..

Monday - Running Intervals f/b 2000y swim - Completed
Tuesday - TNR run run. 8.1 miles of killer hills.
Wednesday - Stone Mt Bike. (4) 8 mile loops. 32 miles.
Thursday - Morning Swim.
Friday - possible swim.. we'll see. Open day.
Saturday - Indian Springs Sprint.
Sunday - long ride, late in the day. (schedule permitting)
2007-06-19 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

aynsley oh, tell us a little more about you. You sound like you are right about where I am.. between some 1/2 irons and your first whole Ironman. It's a pretty stressful place to be.

Are you still on for your second half IM on July 8th? Keep us posted on that. Also, use this forum to sound off a little when you are having bad days.. it's definitely not all about the good stuff.

After looking at your logs, I take it you are a swimmer. Anyway, your distance for June indicates that. Like me, your running miles are a bit low. Also, cycling could have a few more miles in there as well. Generally, just overall volume. I say this knowing that you have IMC coming up, sooner rather than later.. and knowing very little else about you.

Tell us more..

2007-06-19 1:07 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Tues: 1.5 hr run, .5 hr medicine ball core work
Wed: 1.25 bike (mtb race), 1 hr swim
Thu: .5 plyometrics, 1 run
Fri: Rest day
Sat: 3 hr bike (Spirit of Racine HIM Course Ride), .5 brick run, .5 med ball
Sun: 1.75 run, .75 OWS

Hours increase rapidly from here.  Next week is 15.5, following week 17.5.  Zoiks!

2007-06-21 9:31 AM

User image

Expert

Has anyone else done a workout like this
6 x (R 4:00, B: 10:00, R 4:00 )

I've seen similar workouts in other people's logs and wondered to myself "How useful or effective could that be?."  As it turns out, I only got about half of this workout in due to time constrictions, but it was fantastic.  I went to a high school track near my house and set up my transition next to the track.  I'd run two laps, transition, ride out and back, transition run two more laps and then took a 3 minute rest w/ some pushups thrown in.  Maybe it was just something new, but I really enjoyed it.  As for it's usefulness, you can work on speed, endurance and transitions all in the same workout!!!  I'm already looking forward to the next time this workout comes up on my plan.

2007-06-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #850403

User image

Expert
Atl_runner - What's a TNR run?

2007-06-21 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

That transition workout looks fun. I think I'll give it a try in the next few weeks. One of the best things about this site is the creative workouts people come up with.

TNR simply stands for Tuesday Night Run.. there is also the TNR fun run.. simplistic names for really difficult routes throught Atlanta that a few of us do every Tuesday evening. If you didn't know already, Atlanta is quite hilly. Not Boulder hilly, but there is no lack of hill training around here.

I am racing this weekend.. doing a sprint. Looking forward to it. Anyone else racing?

2007-06-21 2:41 PM

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Yeah, I'm racing the Tri4God tri in Madison, MS (600/18/3). It's a waaaarrrrmmmm lake swim (it will be like bath water with algae). Bike will have rolling hills. Weather is supposed to be low to mid 90's. Humidity won't be as intense.

On a different note: Anyone got advice on dealing with shinsplints and still being able to train? I am seriously considering postponing my participation in the Chicago Marathon until next year if I can't get past running 15 miles a week without injury. I am a little discouraged right now due to this and the daunting task of fundraising.

2007-06-21 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
i used to get shin splints at uni and it turned out i was doing too much impact running (ie: fencing, squash etc) without adequately padded shoes. Got that sorted and they were great ..... for years. They recently came back when I got my new running shoes and I couldn't work out why for ages. It turned out I was tieing my shoes too tight and it was causing cramps in my shins. weird, huh? so tied them a bit looser and it improve but the best thing I did was get some elastic laces as they all the foot to swell as it gets hot etc

other than that, I haven't a clue. Hope you get it sorted though, mate.
2007-06-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: #854627

User image

Expert
atl_runner - 2007-06-21 1:31 PM

TNR simply stands for Tuesday Night Run.. 

HAH!!!  I was thinking TNR stood for some type of heart rate training or special training technique

2007-06-21 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
And I was thinking it was Totally Not Racing, or Terrifically Nutty Rabbit, or even just maybe Twisted Narcissistic Rebel.........but then, consider the source

Bill--Are you running on a nice cushy track or on the road? I let myself run on the cushy track until my poor tendons can handle more. There is quite a difference I've noticed. I have a mary the end of October, too. And it freaks me out. The only thing that makes me relax is the thought that it will be lovely cool weather, with nice fall colors in Michigan at that time, and all I have to do is drag myself across that finish line some time before everyone goes home for the night and I get a medal. Seriously. That, and a nice pasta dinner after. And there are supposed to be really cool shirts. Not just average, but really awesomely cool. The race is known to be very friendly. Not like this one marathon I read about in DC where they actually close the bridge at a certain point and if you don't cross it by then, they make you quit and get on a bus. Now that would just plain stink! Some of us are just plain slow. But I still think if I'm silly enough to WANT to do 26.2 miles on foot, either walking or jogging (cause I don't really think I'll be in league with the Kenyans by fall no matter what I do), then they bloody well should let me FINISH! Anyhoo, my original point is this---if I can do a mary by fall, with lousy adrenals, three kids, and asthma (and I never was anything close to athletic before in my life until about 6 months ago when I started "running"on a minitrampoline)--then YOU CAN DO IT TOO!! The fundraising was too much for me, and they were rather vehement with their training through TNT, so I opted out for this time and signed up for the Grand Rapids, MI marathon instead. Not that I think you need to switch, but just that it tore me up to quit, but I felt it was all too much pressure for me at this time. Just take a few days off, get a massage for those legs, do your stretches, maybe soak in epsom salts, drink plenty of water to flush the lactic acid out--and go slower at it next week. Your body will get used to all this soon. I think it's more important to hit your long run for the week than the total mileage for the week. But all you guys with more experience, feel free to correct me!

Hang in there, Bill! I'm rooting for you!! (you might need to give me a pep talk the closer October gets, too....)

Good Luck Atl_runner with your race! And Bill with yours, too!

2007-06-22 2:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
morning, all

glad to see people are still kicking along - good luck with the races this weekend!!

went for a run pre-work this morning as I didn't make it last night. 8 miles in 1:24 so averaging 10:28 min/mile ...... not too shabby for me, I think. Looking over my recent long runs i've done 6.2 miles in 1:17, 10 days later I did 7.2 miles in 1:18 and today I did 8 miles in 1:24 so definitely some improvement going on! Not bad for a fat nacker like me lol

Edited by Graycat 2007-06-22 4:19 AM
2007-06-22 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Graycat--what are you doing to build the speed? Send me some of that mojo!! Well done!!
2007-06-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: #855466

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
phoenixrising404 - 2007-06-22 12:32 PM

Graycat--what are you doing to build the speed? Send me some of that mojo!! Well done!!
Running faster! lol Seriously though I'm just about to start speed endurance for a few weeks so we'll see how that effects things .... watch this > < space!

Cheers though
2007-06-22 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Nice progression on the running GrayCat!  Lots of LSD running makes the faster stuff possible.  I had a breakthrough run last night, 7.7 in 1:04, 8:15 miles.  I did an 8k race I did in April at 8:16's, and an average HR of 20 bpm higher!!!  Now, the run last night is flat and the 8k had one short hill and a couple rollers, so not apples to apples, but we're talking 20 bpm here!  That is huge.  I worked hard to go faster than usual but I wasn't beat at the end.  Pretty excited about that.  I credit my coach for helping me improve my running form and fitness.

As for the shin splint discussion I think shoes are critical.  Make sure you have the right shoes and they don't have too many miles on them.  Interesting that how tight you tie them can have an impact, though I was surprized when I really started running that I am most comfortable when my shoes are just barely snug.

2007-06-22 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
You've got to love seeing those improvements!!!!  The great thing about it is, it makes you want to go out and work some more... and then you get faster, so you want to go do some more and it just keeps going.  Great work guys!

2007-06-22 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Love hearing all these improvement stories. It is so inspiring!
2007-06-23 3:29 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been posting here too much lately.  I keep saying I'm going to but then other stuff gets in the way.  It's amazing how little free time there is even without a job or school!  The big projet right now is moving, so maybe after I've moved to my new place I'll have more time.  Anyway....a question for you all.  I posted this on the main board but no one really replied, so i'm interested to see what you all have to say.

As most of you probably know, I've been having major issues with my shins.  I haven't done any regular running in almost 2 months.  I've been to multiple dr.s...had an MRI to confirm no stress fractures and now I'm doing the orthotics thing.  At the end of last week I finally got the clearance to workout with them after spending some time breaking them in through daily wear.  Unfortunately, workouts are going super slow.  I was back in pain almost as soon as I started running.  The dr. told me to workout as long as sthere is no pain, but right now I can only actually run about 4 min. of my 30 min. "runs".  Anything beyond that is painful.  (One min. of running at a time followed by 6 min. of walking before I can run again).  Not the buildup I was hoping for but at least i'm running.  However I'm having major doubts about my first tri 7/15.  I know I'll be able to complete the course walking, but that just doesn't seem right to me.  I know I'll still be a triathlete at the end of it, but at the same time I sort of feel like it cheapens the whole experience or something like that.  I mean the sports are swim, bike, run, not swim, bike, walk.  So I'm thinking about maybe backing out on doing this tri.  I hate to do that since I've already paid, but maybe this just isn't the right time to do a race.  I would feel better about it if I could at least run a little, but planning to walk the whole thing just doesn't sit well with me.  I plan to talk to my dr. to see if he can give me some ideas on building up run time faster (he made it sound like I'd be able to run at least a mile or so soon after I started workouts again...not happening.) but in the meantime, what do you all think?  Is it still worth doing if I have to walk the whole run?  I know I'll be ready for the swim and the bike, so the run is really the only big issue right now.

2007-06-23 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Lil_turtle--have you tried a massage therapist for your shins? Or an acupuncturist? I had knee issues way back when I was a kid and acupuncture absolutely cured it! The others who goofed up their knees roller skating had to have orthoscopic surgery! My mom just had some acupuncture for some carpal tunnel. I'd try something like that before quitting on this tri! But whatever you decide, we are here for you! Or maybe you could do a relay and have someone else do the run just this time??
2007-06-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #856824

User image

Expert
In limbo

phoenixrising404 - 2007-06-23 5:53 AM Lil_turtle--have you tried a massage therapist for your shins? Or an acupuncturist? I had knee issues way back when I was a kid and acupuncture absolutely cured it! The others who goofed up their knees roller skating had to have orthoscopic surgery! My mom just had some acupuncture for some carpal tunnel. I'd try something like that before quitting on this tri! But whatever you decide, we are here for you! Or maybe you could do a relay and have someone else do the run just this time??

I don't know...accupuncture scares me!  I've heard good things about it, but it still scares me....I don't know about a massage either...never heard of a shin massage but I guess it could be worth a try. 

I tried to convince my runner friend to do it with me as a relay but she wouldn't/won't commit to it.  Actually, the whole reason I'm signed up for this particular one is because she was supposed to do it with me.  Then when it came time to actually sign up she kept making excuses.  She said she was worried about the swim so I told her I'd swim and bike and she could just do the run, but then she said she'd rather do the whole thing.  So I registered for the whole thing thinking she would do the same...Well, nothin yet and it's been a couple weeks!  Unfortunately she's my only friend that runs at all...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Atl_runner's group - full for now. Rss Feed  

of 15