BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-01-05 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4563236

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
Thanks for advice Dorm. I am still trying to work out when I will take my nutrition in during a race. Are you going to do the Emerald Isle sprint in October? I think if I have the travel money I am going to do that one. I am going to try my first brick today with a 9 mile ride in some hills followed by a 6 mile run. Hopefully the weather holds out.

2013-01-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4563342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Brett, I'll probably go for the Pinehurst International in October ... just haven't signed up as yet. I'm trying to get to the longer distance races, so I'll definitely plan to train harder and do this one for the last race of the year.

2013-01-05 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4563873

User image

Well got 10 miles in on the bike before the rain set in. Longest ride so far. I received my new cycling shoes in the mail yesterday and I am stoked about them now if I just had pedals and cleats I would be in business. I will have to wait till next month on them though, as we are due to pay off our last car more the end of this month. 10 miles in hills was pretty rough though. I really wanted to get a run in behind it but I am not willing to run in the rain when it's cold. Haha. Hope everyone has a good weekend!
2013-01-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3257002

New user

Birmingham, Al
Regarding clipless pedals..is this normal? I can get out of my left pedal with no problem at all but if I'm ever falling on my right side, yes I'm going to fall. I can't get my right foot out with any ease at all; it's a real struggle. But I can pop my left cleat out with no problem.
2013-01-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4564055

User image

Master
St. Louis
yep, it is normal. your legs have different levels of flexibility and strength. Try loosening the cleat release on your right cleat and practice clicking out on that side first every time vs. the left side.
2013-01-05 9:16 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Ride and a short run in today.  Not the distances I wanted but will do for now.

Bama - yep, like Mike said different strengths and also different adjustments.  Just loosen the one side a bit, if you can put your bike on a trainer makes it easy to practice.

2013-01-06 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4564100

User image

how do you guys bookmark this thread to easily get to it? i have been going to the mentor thread and clicking on the link in there. As more and more threads open up it is becoming harder to find and get back to here. I am sure there is a simple solution, but I have been unable to find it. Thanks.
2013-01-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4564407

User image

2013-01-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4564407

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

kmfioc - 2013-01-06 9:06 AM how do you guys bookmark this thread to easily get to it? i have been going to the mentor thread and clicking on the link in there. As more and more threads open up it is becoming harder to find and get back to here. I am sure there is a simple solution, but I have been unable to find it. Thanks.

Use this link:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=236936

Either add it to your browser favorites or you can include it on your Training log page.

2013-01-06 7:23 PM

User image

Keller

I wanted to do a Half at the end of April, but I had to do a reality check.  I backed my plan down to an Oly.   The twins are due in the next 30 days, so pushing the volume in the Half plan (and get the right amount of rest) to be ready by the end of April was a little over reaching.  So here is what I am looking at:

March - Rock n Roll 1/2 Mary

March - St Patti day sprint

Arpil - Marble Falls Oly

Opinions?

2013-01-06 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4565107

User image

Strat...I know the feeling. My wife is pregnant, but we are at the beginning of the pregnancy and she is not feeling well. I am about to start getting my workouts at about 5 in the a.m. so that i can help her out with out daughter and still get my workouts in when everyone is asleep. And I am not a morning person! You will certainly have your hands full after the two little ones are born. Good luck with your new goals.This brings me to my question. I am working on putting my schedule together and had some questions on bike. I will be limited to 1 hour on the trainer 3xs a week. Bike is a weak point for me and i would like to improve it. The good thing I know there is a ton of room for improvement. I have done one sprint and and averaged about 16 mph. My next race will also be a sprint and I have been maintaining since I ran the last sprint in October. What is the best way to get the most out of this 1 hour on the trainer or a good program to use as guidelines? I do have a heart rate monitor that I can use to measure. I was also thinking about getting the cadence/speed sensor that goes along with my garmin watch. Any advice?Also, if anyone knows why i cant get paragraphs when posting from my ipad, im sure everyone would appreciate that.

2013-01-06 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4565205

User image

Master
St. Louis
Search for Jorge's Winter Cycling plan on this site. Do his workouts 3x per week and you will see big gains. Let me know if you can't find it.Ditto on the paragraph thing. I post from mybIpad too and the formatting is annoying.
2013-01-06 10:32 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
got 5.5 miles around the LSU lake tonight. Good running temps, in the 40's but I over dressed a tad. 

Tracy - good idea backing down the distance.  Good luck with the HM training.

kmf - I had the garmin sensor and used it until I got my PT.  While the speed isn't quite comparable to the road it is a good way to measure.  +1 on the Jorge plan as it is now a plan in BT, look for winter cycling plan.  There is a thread in the Challenge forum (I think) that can help with it.

2013-01-07 11:14 AM

User image

Central New Jersey

Gary, stratigos - thanks for the bike fit advice.

I'm thinking of going to Cycle Fitters in Easton, PA. Anyone on the board been there? It's $250 for the fitting but other sites spoke highly of their shop. I'm in Central NJ so I was also thinking about High Gear Cyclery. Suggestions welcome! 

Indoor trainer came on Saturday so getting ready to put on some miles! 

2013-01-07 5:27 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Got a nice 5.5 miler in last night around the LSU lakes and a couple of short rides Friday and Saturday.  Kids go back to school on Weds which will make training a little easier.  Work has fired back up and will be busy for awhile but I guess that is good considering the alternative.  They have annnounced the dates for several of my usual races including the late season Oly.  2012 it was in late Oct and for 2013 its late Sept.  Basically meaning it may not be wetsuit legal and the run could very well be hot.

Blue -which trainer did you get?

2013-01-07 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4566884

User image

Central New Jersey
GaryRM - 2013-01-07 5:27 PM

Got a nice 5.5 miler in last night around the LSU lakes and a couple of short rides Friday and Saturday.  Kids go back to school on Weds which will make training a little easier.  Work has fired back up and will be busy for awhile but I guess that is good considering the alternative.  They have annnounced the dates for several of my usual races including the late season Oly.  2012 it was in late Oct and for 2013 its late Sept.  Basically meaning it may not be wetsuit legal and the run could very well be hot.

Blue -which trainer did you get?

Got the Cyclops Mag (new). The plus version seemed unnecessary based on my online research so that saved a few bucks. The fluid on other high end brands (Kurt) were more than I need at my early stage of being a triathlete. Plus, my wife often reminds me "we have two kids in college." Plan to take it for a proper spin tonight but it seemed pretty quiet when I hopped on for a bit last night.

2013-01-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4566887

User image

I found a trainer I migh purchase on ebay. I think it is an older kinetic but still in good shape. I think the bidding was at 75. There are so may things I would love to have but on a tight budget and being a newbie I don't have a lot to spend so I have to get the things that make the most sense. I am going to get cleats and pedals next and then another water bottle and cage for the bike. The trainer may have to wait until next year. But I need some advice on the run. I have been on a plataue for the last month or so. I cannot seem to break the 54 min mark on my 6 mile time or the 24 minute mark on my 3 mile time. No matter what I do I just can't seem to get any faster. If I added whey protein shakes to my diet would this help with muscle recovery? I mean as far as healing stronger than they were. I push myself hard on the run and in fact today my splits were 8m 15s, 8m 10s, and 7m 50s. I am limited on training time so during the week 3 maybe 4 miles on run days and 5 or 6 miles on bike days. Long hauls are reserved for Saturdays. Any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
2013-01-07 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston

Didn't know if you wanted the original intro but in a nutshell...48...been body-building/lifting the last 6 months.  Getting bored with that and I've been fascinated with triathlon's so decided to do one.  Like you, health concerns in that I have high blood pressure (under control), brother died of high blood pressure two years ago (uncontrolled); dad is long-lived at 75 with high blood pressure.

Signed up for first tri. Scheduled for May 4.  Have a "girlfriend" who is into cycling that is eagerly wanting to assist my training (Yay me!). Rode 18 miles with her on Sunday (nice leisurely pace).  Planned on doing a training ride on Tuesday but we have 100% rain forecast so it looks like the exercise bike in the gym for me.

Plan on purchasing running shoes in the next week or two.  Anyone have suggestions on what they like?

2013-01-07 10:03 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
SSPicer - I run on Asic 21x0's (whichever I can get the cheapest) and now also Newtons.  These are more of stability type shoes so it depends upon what you need.  Have you had a running store do a fit for you?
2013-01-07 11:34 PM
in reply to: #4567249

User image

Regular
NW Houston

GaryRM - 2013-01-07 10:03 PM SSPicer - I run on Asic 21x0's (whichever I can get the cheapest) and now also Newtons.  These are more of stability type shoes so it depends upon what you need.  Have you had a running store do a fit for you?

Have visited one recommended by a friend who does tri's with her husband.  Looks that I will be getting a stability show as well.  Will do a more thorough fitting when I get closer to the purchase.  I plan on starting the run training on Feb. 1.

2013-01-08 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4567328

User image

Champion
Bronze member
sspicer - 2013-01-08 12:34 AM

GaryRM - 2013-01-07 10:03 PM SSPicer - I run on Asic 21x0's (whichever I can get the cheapest) and now also Newtons.  These are more of stability type shoes so it depends upon what you need.  Have you had a running store do a fit for you?

Have visited one recommended by a friend who does tri's with her husband.  Looks that I will be getting a stability show as well.  Will do a more thorough fitting when I get closer to the purchase.  I plan on starting the run training on Feb. 1.

Going to a local running store is the best way I have found to get a shoe for me. I have foot issues and going to a chain store, they just wanted to sell me their brand du jour. My hubbie just changed to Hoka One One and LOVES them, btw. I am looking into them, as well.

Edited by ceilidh 2013-01-08 8:28 AM

2013-01-08 12:00 PM

User image

Finally got "it" on the rollers. Was able to do 10 minutes without a wipeout. Boy these things are mentally tough. Been tacking on small bike sessions after my runs. Trying to get in 3 runs a week and time on the bike. Pool will start in Feb. So far so good. 

Thanks everyone for posting. Some of my questions have been already answered.

2013-01-08 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Had a PB with running this evening.  The long timers in the group who know me, know had bad I hate (loathe) running.  But I'm working out of town thru Friday and I brought training clothes.  So I suited up tonight and did 3 miles on the T'mill in 12:10 pace.  I know this is snails pace compared to many, but I am pretty happy with this.  My goal for the March race is to avg ~10:00 pace.   I have committed to improve my running and the biggest thing that tastes good about it is knowing how much it will improve the swim and bike legs. 

Oh and for all the new ones in the group ... I need to pass along the rules for cycling ,,, yes there are rules and key ones are rules 5, 10 and 20

Rules of cycling: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

2013-01-08 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Dorm - congrats on the run PB!  I'd love to be able to get down to a 10min/mile pace too.  I was at about 11:15 before my surgery, hoping to get back to at least that pretty soon. 

We had pretty good weather here today for January - highs in the 50's - so I stopped at the park after work for my run.  Got a little chilly as the sun went down, but I had a good run.  I'm doing a 5/5 run/walk this week - hoping to eventually get back to the 8/2 I was doing before.  Felt good to be outside instead of downstairs on the TM. 

Swim tomorrow if I can get my butt out of bed in the morningLaughing

2013-01-08 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4569057

User image

Good job on the run Dorm.Today, I started preparing myself for Jorge's cycling program. It is like reading a foreign language and I spent a considerable amount of time the last two days trying to figure out what it all means. But I got on the bike this evening and got some Heart rate measurements and tomorrow Ill see if I can break it all down. Rain let up just enough to get in a short run (12 min) as I ease back into running because I had knee pain. No pain on this short run, so thats a positive start to 2013 training. I grew to love running training for my first tri so I am supper excited to get back out there.I got a swim to get in tomorrow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115