BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2013-04-21 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed
Best wishes Gabe with the race. Trust the training and have fun.Long ride on Saturday when i think i should have stayed in bed. The first 45km was a strong head wind. Kept getting dropped and struggled to hold on to my riding buddy. 5 km before the turn around heard something snap when i geared up. I didnt think much of it as I thought the gears still worked. Turned around and had a nice tail wind. Changed into top gear for a down hill section but on the way back up the hill noticed i could not change down any more. So 45km stuck in top gear. Average pace on the way home 42km an hour but the hills hurt. 10km from home flat tire. So good work out and left me very sore and tired. Now to get the bike fixed so i can enjoy more riding.

2013-04-21 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
D.P

Edited by Matthews 2013-04-21 7:09 AM
2013-04-21 8:41 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Did Gabe post his bib number for Antwerp?

UPDATE: Looks like Gabe is in at 3:45. Great job!

Edited by chris2533 2013-04-21 10:38 AM
2013-04-21 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Hola, thanks for your support messages, they really helped. A beautiful race with great cool weather and was able to finish in 3:45, new PR (from 4:08 in chicago) but missed my stretch goal from mile 18 onwards. Will write more when I get back to the hotel
2013-04-21 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well done and Congrats Gabe. Very good effort.
2013-04-21 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations Gabe! Great run.

2013-04-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4708897

User image

Master

sirgab - 2013-04-21 1:18 PM Hola, thanks for your support messages, they really helped. A beautiful race with great cool weather and was able to finish in 3:45, new PR (from 4:08 in chicago) but missed my stretch goal from mile 18 onwards. Will write more when I get back to the hotel

Awesome job...can't wait for the full recap!

2013-04-22 2:17 PM

User image

HELP! I deleted myself from the spreadsheet. How can I get a copy with my workout info?
2013-04-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4710283

User image

Master

rgarcia1501 - 2013-04-22 3:17 PM HELP! I deleted myself from the spreadsheet. How can I get a copy with my workout info?

Give me a day or so and I'll check if I somehow have access to it pre-change.  Was there an undo function that you could hit to restore the changes?

2013-04-22 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4710293

User image

Regular
trisuppo - 2013-04-22 12:22 PM

rgarcia1501 - 2013-04-22 3:17 PM HELP! I deleted myself from the spreadsheet. How can I get a copy with my workout info?

Give me a day or so and I'll check if I somehow have access to it pre-change.  Was there an undo function that you could hit to restore the changes?

Speaking of workouts... How are everyone's workouts going? I've been in a slump recently trying to find motivation to get my swims in. It seems the bike/run isn't the problem though for the most part. 

But I guess on a good note I don't feel like I am way behind with my swimming. Feel more behind on my biking than anything as it doesn't feel like I am making much progress. 

This weekend coming up is going to be a fun one. 55 or so ride to my Dad's house friday evening on a hilly course. Sat getting up early to do my run/bike workout and then go run (very easily) 5 mile race with my sister and 2 oldest daughters. sunday I have a 4:35 bike followed by a 50 minute run and through a 30 minute swim in there somewhere.

Hope all is doing well on here.

2013-04-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4710500

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
spie34 - 2013-04-22 5:10 PM

Speaking of workouts... How are everyone's workouts going? I've been in a slump recently trying to find motivation to get my swims in. It seems the bike/run isn't the problem though for the most part. 

But I guess on a good note I don't feel like I am way behind with my swimming. Feel more behind on my biking than anything as it doesn't feel like I am making much progress. 

This weekend coming up is going to be a fun one. 55 or so ride to my Dad's house friday evening on a hilly course. Sat getting up early to do my run/bike workout and then go run (very easily) 5 mile race with my sister and 2 oldest daughters. sunday I have a 4:35 bike followed by a 50 minute run and through a 30 minute swim in there somewhere.

I'm going through a real rough patch now and have some really odd symptoms with increased tingling in hands, feet, face. Serious bouts of lethargy, sensitivity to cold.  Went for a neurologist appointment today and the baseline neuro tests checked out.  Blood tomorrow and an EMG test next week.  Had a brain MRI (MRA) last October and it checked out normal.  Part of me thinks it is psycho-somatic, the other part is somewhat scared sh$tless.  Something similar happened to me about 8 years ago and they never figured it out.

I feel like  a lot of it is stress based.  Prolonged work stress has taken its toll and though the workouts are therapeutic, I feel like it has caught up with me.  This week is a recovery week and I'm thinking about just shutting it down for an entire week or so.  I don't think I am suffering from classic "overtraining" as much as acute stress/anxiety. We will see how things go.

2013-04-22 8:00 PM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
spie34 - 2013-04-22 4:10 PM 

I feel that. With finals coming up really soon and my first couple of races out of the way, I'm both busy and have that "now what?" feeling... so my training hasn't been very consistent. I want to change that in May but with so much going on it's easy to just talk my way out of doing a workout.

Anyway, it's absolutely beautiful out here, 70 degrees and sunny in Chicagoland, IL, so I had to take the bike out for a ride. Nothing spectacular, but I'm glad I did... some of the country roads way out there are really pretty. Put in 16.5 miles, averaging right at 20.3mph. 

2013-04-22 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
spie34 - 2013-04-22 4:10 PM

I had a great run today. 6 miles and it was the first day that felt like spring 50 f no gale force winds, ice storms or rain. Tomorrow I work out of town, which means I get to swim.

Joe- Our prayers are with you.

2013-04-22 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4710509

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
JoePetto - 2013-04-22 4:21 PM

I'm going through a real rough patch now and have some really odd symptoms with increased tingling in hands, feet, face. Serious bouts of lethargy, sensitivity to cold.  Went for a neurologist appointment today and the baseline neuro tests checked out.  Blood tomorrow and an EMG test next week.  Had a brain MRI (MRA) last October and it checked out normal.  Part of me thinks it is psycho-somatic, the other part is somewhat scared sh$tless.  Something similar happened to me about 8 years ago and they never figured it out.

I feel like  a lot of it is stress based.  Prolonged work stress has taken its toll and though the workouts are therapeutic, I feel like it has caught up with me.  This week is a recovery week and I'm thinking about just shutting it down for an entire week or so.  I don't think I am suffering from classic "overtraining" as much as acute stress/anxiety. We will see how things go.

Joe,

Do your extremities turn blue (Raynaud's)?  Are your B and E vitamins low?  Both of these can cause the tingling.

Prayers heading your way.

2013-04-22 11:35 PM
in reply to: #4710854

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Hope you figure out the problem Joe. Me wife had exactly the same symptoms due to iron deficiency... Ironically, one of my Canadian friends, 3x IM Canada finisher was also diagnosed with iron deficiency.
2013-04-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4710509

User image

Master
JoePetto - 2013-04-22 5:21 PM

Joe - I really think that stress/anxiety can play a big role in our everyday well being.  I know that as my work pace has gone into overdrive and the work related stress has increased, the added daily stress from higher volume training was additive and not beneficial.  I believe that is the hardest thing about being an amatuer athlete, full-time job, raising a family AGer.  Something has to give. 

You're doing the right thing getting checked out and I hope it all works out well.  Taking the week off is a good thing!  Come back strong!

2013-04-23 8:59 AM

User image

Master

Between family travel, too much on my plate at work, and as Jackie rightfully pointed out - trying to cram too much training on top of an aggressive HM plan...I have struggled in April.  Limped to the starting line of my HM, did ok but would have done better if I just focused on the plan instead of trying to do more on top of it. 

This morning I started a 20 week training plan for a HIM (from Matt Fitzgerald book).  Still undecided if I do it, but will start the training and see how it goes.  Currently leaning towards no HM in early June.  I will see how I feel after the next couple weeks and if I'm feeling like I have life and training under control I will see if I can still register.  The key for me is that I have a set training plan and I was able to get up early for the first time in weeks to train.  60 minutes on the bike with 6 x 20 sec power intervals with 2 min active recoveries.  Tomorrow its back to the pool with a run after.

While it can be tough, I am enjoying the journey and love learning how much I can push myself and how my body responds.  I'm happier when I work out regularly but have to learn to balance work, family and training demands.  However, training is 3rd in that equation (as it should be) and is the first to suffer when life gets in the way.

Also, I started counting calories and tracking all the food I ingest.  Lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks through more water and better diet.  Using the Myfitnesspal app.

2013-04-23 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Seems like an anti-workout thing is going around. I have been battling with hip pain (flexor strain?) that after 3-4 weeks of limited training due to work/sickness. I did do my first race of the year (Sprint) on April 14 with little to no training the prior month...NOT a good idea. Oh, and after a weekend in Disney with my 2 and 4 yr old, my left shoulder is killing me (too much "daddy, pick me up"). The good news is that my visits to my ART/Chiro seem to help, so will try running tomorrow to give it a test and swimming on Friday.

Now have just 6 weeks to get ready for my second Oly; so cranking up and getting ready for a good 6 weeks of training. Feel free to give me a much needed kick in the pants to make sure I ramp up slowly but steady.

2013-04-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4711655

User image

Master
Samyg - 2013-04-23 12:49 PM

Seems like an anti-workout thing is going around. I have been battling with hip pain (flexor strain?) that after 3-4 weeks of limited training due to work/sickness. I did do my first race of the year (Sprint) on April 14 with little to no training the prior month...NOT a good idea. Oh, and after a weekend in Disney with my 2 and 4 yr old, my left shoulder is killing me (too much "daddy, pick me up"). The good news is that my visits to my ART/Chiro seem to help, so will try running tomorrow to give it a test and swimming on Friday.

Now have just 6 weeks to get ready for my second Oly; so cranking up and getting ready for a good 6 weeks of training. Feel free to give me a much needed kick in the pants to make sure I ramp up slowly but steady.

Samy - I sent you a msg. 

2013-04-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4711655

User image

It has been the opposite for me. I have a marathon in 4 weeks so I have been going longer on my long runs and a couple of times in the last week and a half I've actually done a workout in each discipline on the same day. I have fluid on my knee which hasn't bothered me at all so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be a problem.

Samyg - 2013-04-23 11:49 AM

2013-04-23 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Joe,

First of all, I hope that whatever it is you have is not a chronic or acute disease. I will tell you that work has to be counted as another stressor, think of it all as matches you can burn in a day. Lack of good sleep, work and workouts are points to be considered. If you had a really bad day at work or didn't get enough sleep, simply don't train.

That's what I have always done with good results, I'm sure it will work for you as well. We can't win them all, Joe. Try resting and relaxing, schedule a massage and consider changing jobs too...

2013-04-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4712073

User image

Master
ernestov - 2013-04-23 3:29 PM

consider changing jobs too...

oh if it was that easy (I know it actually is, but so easy to get stuck in the rat race).

2013-04-23 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like work is holding most of us back in our training!!

My workouts have been going ok. Not as many as I had planned for this month(also due to work), but still very happy. 17 more days for my HIM. Feeling good and have done the work now. Just wish it was sooner as I am not sure how much more ready I can be.

2013-04-24 6:54 AM

User image

Expert

I don't swim in pools often, so I was wondering. Is there a way to get the chlorine stink off of you? I showered and scrubbed after and I still smelled like chlorine the rest of the day. Is there some trick to take care of that smell?

2013-04-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4710293

User image

Master
trisuppo - 2013-04-22 3:22 PM

Can't undo any changes, but if you send me your data by month for the year I will add you back in.  You can send me a message on this site or post here, up to you. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100