BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-03-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED
Yesterday I ran in 86f and the midday sun after a two hour trainer ride. I took water and money to buy more. I had to carry the bottle I figured no biggie for 7km and the water and the one I bought got me through. However this morning my left shoulder and neck are really tight and sore yes I held it in my left hand. I need a belt

2013-03-05 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4646769

User image

Elite

Edited by jobaxas 2013-03-05 1:49 PM
2013-03-05 2:33 PM

User image

Elite
For those that appreciated Chad's rain running here is how I felt in my run yesterday. 7km 86f running in the heat sun baking my skin sweat evaporating leaving behind its salty residue. Pouring icy water on my head running down my chest the cold making me catch my breath. Hearing my pulse as my head pounds with the effort. Finally home where I remove my sweaty clothes and jump naked into the refreshing water of the pool.
2013-03-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4647517

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

jobaxas - 2013-03-05 2:33 PM For those that appreciated Chad's rain running here is how I felt in my run yesterday. 7km 86f running in the heat sun baking my skin sweat evaporating leaving behind its salty residue. Pouring icy water on my head running down my chest the cold making me catch my breath. Hearing my pulse as my head pounds with the effort. Finally home where I remove my sweaty clothes and jump naked into the refreshing water of the pool.

TMI.    I'm at work.   Foot in mouth

2013-03-05 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4647615

User image

Elite
MadMathemagician - 2013-03-06 8:34 AM

jobaxas - 2013-03-05 2:33 PM For those that appreciated Chad's rain running here is how I felt in my run yesterday. 7km 86f running in the heat sun baking my skin sweat evaporating leaving behind its salty residue. Pouring icy water on my head running down my chest the cold making me catch my breath. Hearing my pulse as my head pounds with the effort. Finally home where I remove my sweaty clothes and jump naked into the refreshing water of the pool.

TMI.    I'm at work.   Foot in mouth

Goodness I modified it somewhat for the pod's delicate eyes.

Edited by jobaxas 2013-03-05 3:54 PM
2013-03-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4647517

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
jobaxas - 2013-03-05 7:33 PMFor those that appreciated Chad's rain running here is how I felt in my run yesterday. 7km 86f running in the heat sun baking my skin sweat evaporating leaving behind its salty residue. Pouring icy water on my head running down my chest the cold making me catch my breath. Hearing my pulse as my head pounds with the effort. Finally home where I remove my sweaty clothes and jump naked into the refreshing water of the pool.
Unless I see pics, it didn't happen

2013-03-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4647663

User image

Elite

Richardsdrr - 2013-03-06 9:13 AM
jobaxas - 2013-03-05 7:33 PMFor those that appreciated Chad's rain running here is how I felt in my run yesterday. 7km 86f running in the heat sun baking my skin sweat evaporating leaving behind its salty residue. Pouring icy water on my head running down my chest the cold making me catch my breath. Hearing my pulse as my head pounds with the effort. Finally home where I remove my sweaty clothes and jump naked into the refreshing water of the pool.

uh oh be careful what you wish for......

2013-03-05 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4647670

User image

Elite

Y-4.

Yes it's four more sleeps until Sunday when I get to meet up with her Yantiness!  I am beyond excited!!!

2013-03-05 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4647663

User image

Master
Richardsdrr - 2013-03-05 2:13 PM
It's Jo. It happened.
2013-03-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4646953

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
melbo55 - 2013-03-05 10:15 AM

First, prayers to the family of your co-worker, Kirsten.  How horrible a thing for those dear kids to experience.

On a lighter note, thanks for all the great advice and personal anecdotes on hydration and nutrition on longer runs.  Sounds like belt vs. handheld bottle is a real toss up.  If I were deciding purely on how each were 'marketed' here in manateeland, I'd have to go with Chad and his belt because his modeling pics were nice, very nice!   I will give my handheld a try again, and see if I can borrow a fuel belt from a friend to see which I can better tolerate.  Although I really do like the looks/function of the Amphipod belt...some online research may be in order!  And putting honey in a little travel bottle is genius, Chris!  I may borrow that idea, too, and load 'er up with some orange blossom honey as an homage to you!  Or tupelo, mmmm, tupelo...

Yanti, your decision makes total sense, especially if your rib won't cause a problem.  As you said, the training is already done and if you can get yourself and Red Robber rehabbed, it is actually a pretty sweet deal.  You know we are behind you 100%!

Jo, you just plain crack me up.  "Oh, I may have just registered for a 70.3".  LOL!

In other interesting news, I had a dream about ALL the manatees last night!!  No lie.  I was already in Hawaii (I'm not sure why) and Yanti was going there to do a race and all the manatees showed up for a manatee meet-up and to cheer Yanti on!  I actually remember thinking in my dream, "Yanti isn't as tall in person as I pictured her" and I vaguely recall making other 'real-life' observations compared to what I knew about the manatees from online.  Bizarre but neat!

I noticed 2 cons on the Amphipod today while running that I left out.  Check to insure you have a good seal after filling the bottles. I have had dripping in the past. The way the bottles are help in to the belt is fairly tight. I have had trouble getting them out easily while running. The Fuel Belt was much easier.

YMMV

2013-03-05 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4647683

User image

Elite
cdban66 - 2013-03-06 9:29 AM
melbo55 - 2013-03-05 10:15 AM

First, prayers to the family of your co-worker, Kirsten.  How horrible a thing for those dear kids to experience.

On a lighter note, thanks for all the great advice and personal anecdotes on hydration and nutrition on longer runs.  Sounds like belt vs. handheld bottle is a real toss up.  If I were deciding purely on how each were 'marketed' here in manateeland, I'd have to go with Chad and his belt because his modeling pics were nice, very nice!   I will give my handheld a try again, and see if I can borrow a fuel belt from a friend to see which I can better tolerate.  Although I really do like the looks/function of the Amphipod belt...some online research may be in order!  And putting honey in a little travel bottle is genius, Chris!  I may borrow that idea, too, and load 'er up with some orange blossom honey as an homage to you!  Or tupelo, mmmm, tupelo...

Yanti, your decision makes total sense, especially if your rib won't cause a problem.  As you said, the training is already done and if you can get yourself and Red Robber rehabbed, it is actually a pretty sweet deal.  You know we are behind you 100%!

Jo, you just plain crack me up.  "Oh, I may have just registered for a 70.3".  LOL!

In other interesting news, I had a dream about ALL the manatees last night!!  No lie.  I was already in Hawaii (I'm not sure why) and Yanti was going there to do a race and all the manatees showed up for a manatee meet-up and to cheer Yanti on!  I actually remember thinking in my dream, "Yanti isn't as tall in person as I pictured her" and I vaguely recall making other 'real-life' observations compared to what I knew about the manatees from online.  Bizarre but neat!

I noticed 2 cons on the Amphipod today while running that I left out.  Check to insure you have a good seal after filling the bottles. I have had dripping in the past. The way the bottles are help in to the belt is fairly tight. I have had trouble getting them out easily while running. The Fuel Belt was much easier.

YMMV

The Asics belt I had the bottle lay on it's side - firstly sloshing big time and second the seal was crap and I had green gatorade running down my leg so looked like I peed myself.  And when I came to drink some, it was nearly all gone!

2013-03-05 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, I warned you there would be more questions. This one is easy. What is your favorite genre of music? And why (this is the part that matters to the psychoanalysts in the group)? None of this "I like all music" stuff either. Narrow it down.

For those that check my logs, there is some different stuff in there every now and again when I post a song, but for the most part, I am a Country Music fan.  While I may have a white collar job, I relate to the blue collar work ethic.  I find this is most reflected in my music choices. I  have been known to fish, drink, play guitar, and enjoy the occasional Friday night good time.  I also nearly lost my wife, dog, house, truck and I have missed a train in the rain, so I am the living embodiment of country music. Or not Wink

2013-03-05 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4647695

User image

Master
cdban66 - 2013-03-05 2:38 PM

OK, I warned you there would be more questions. This one is easy. What is your favorite genre of music? And why (this is the part that matters to the psychoanalysts in the group)? None of this "I like all music" stuff either. Narrow it down.

For those that check my logs, there is some different stuff in there every now and again when I post a song, but for the most part, I am a Country Music fan.  While I may have a white collar job, I relate to the blue collar work ethic.  I find this is most reflected in my music choices. I  have been known to fish, drink, play guitar, and enjoy the occasional Friday night good time.  I also nearly lost my wife, dog, house, truck and I have missed a train in the rain, so I am the living embodiment of country music. Or not Wink

If you had've asked me a year ago, I would've said Country.  Now?  Hmmm.  I guess I would have to say that my favorite music is that which moves me.  If I somehow connect with the tune or the lyrics, I like it.  It should feel as though the person singing it experienced it.  Salty posted a song several months ago, I don't remember what it was, but the music (not even the lyrics, but the tune) told a story.  That's what I like.

2013-03-05 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4647282

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
ponderingfox - 2013-03-05 10:14 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-05 1:05 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-05 9:44 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-05 10:17 AM
amd723 - 2013-03-05 4:54 AM
cdban66 - 2013-03-05 6:23 AM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-04 8:08 PM
jmkizer - 2013-03-04 4:00 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-04 6:53 PM 

I love my waist pack...I can never understand how you folks run holding that bottle the whole time..   

Then give Mel a specific recommendation so that she can compare!  Wink

Here is the belt I use and love... usually run with 2 bottles, but on real long runs (including races) I run with 4 bottles.  Usually do 1/2 with water, 1/2 with Gatorade..I also love the pouch.  I always run with my Drivers License, a Credit Card, and my phone in that pouch.  I can put my house key and a car key in their as well.  I carry my food in my hand (usually 1 power bar as I hate gels)

I also currently use the Amphipod belt, although mine is a 2 bottle. I used a Fuel Belt previouslyand it did not hold up to the sweat/weather that I put it through. I did have the Fuel Belt pouch on the Amphipod, although the pouch zipper just crapped out this weekend. Amphipod has a cool little netlike pouch built in, for key carrying. The bottle holders are removable, which is nice as I mostly only use one bottle. I'll wear it for anything over 4 miles. I also carry a bottle on shorter runs, just an old Fuel Belt bottle in my hand, no straps and whatnot.  The humidity being what it is in Fl, I can be sucking down small amounts of water after 1/2 of a mile. Amphpod also makes a few accesories for the belts, most notably a gel dispensor and a gel "SnapPod". I don't have either, but the SnapPod would be a possibility if I were using a variety of gels, chomps and chews. Another feature you might want is a bib holder. Since I race trails with my belt, I had to come up with a seperate way to attach my number.  This is not a big deal, but it is a feature you might want. My sister used to use a Nathan belt, but gave it up for a handheld, due to comfort.

As to comfort, if going the belt route, I would look for a belt that gives the ability to move the bottles around on it. I like them on the hip, but the small of my back works well for a single bottle as well. I'm with Janyne on this, if possible, test as many as you can afford to test. The flip side is that I think triathletes have a tendency to overthink stuff, so if you find one you think may work and it has the features (I think this is the biggest selling point) you want, give it time so that you adjust to it. Or, get an old water bottle and run a few times while holding that (it was what I did when I started). At least you'll get an idea.

www.amphipod.com

www.nathansports.com

www.fuelbelt.com

I am very much a minimalist when it comes to fueling on the run. If I run on my own I don't even think about water until I hit 10 miles then I plan my route around places I know have water fountains. I only start to add fuel if I'm going to be over 2 hours. The water issue might change if I ran later then I do, but I'm out early, rarely am I still running after 7:30 am.I did try one of these belts when I was playing around with using Infinit while marathon training. During one of my runs, around the 17 mile mark, I caught a toe on a sidewalk I was turning on to, tripped and fell on my side landing right on one of the bottles. I broke a rib. So, I guess my advice is dont do that if you go the fuel belt route!

Great write up Chris... I did not know about the gel snap pod...nor the bib holder for these belts.  I will have to look into both of those.  

One of the other benefits of running with these belts is that during races, I don't have to stop or slow down at the aid stations. Not sure if that is a big deal to others, but since I get a bit competitive in my races, it's huge.  At my last 15K race, I was passed by a guy at about mile 4, and at the 10K mark I blew by him when he had to stop to drink... He never caught me again.  

I personally run with my belt on every single run, even the 3 or 4 mile runs.  I always carry at least 2 bottles of water.  I figure I am training myself to run with the added weight / feeling of that belt.  It is also nice to have the water when I finish the run and am walking it off... 

Ann-Marie - that sucks about falling on that bottle.  I can understand why you don't want to wear a belt now!  

Lots and lots of options and even within the Manatees, very varied answers. And LOL Chad, nice modeling photos. 

First I would like to state that more important than what you do during your workouts or race is what you do on a regular basis in the days prior. This means eating and hydrating BEFORE your workout/race. 

I never carry water unless I am running on the trails where there is none. For my long runs I plan my routes so that there are a few options if I get thirsty. I'm lucky to be an urban runner and there are tons of drinking fountains and convenience stores. This is less important in the winter. 

One thing I would like to note. Carrying water on a course is a personal choice and definitely do what you are comfortable with but it is not a competitive advantage. If you don't believe that, I direct you to look at any/all of the elite marathon runners. 

It is against the level of racers I am competing with.. LOL  You "elite" types may not slow down for aid stations, but the guys I'm "racing" slow down, walk, and even come to a complete stop to drink at aid stations.  

Some of them take out their wallets to buy gel packs, some tie their shoes, some tuck in their shirts and then they are off again...(ok, maybe I exaggerated this last sentence, but the first sentence is true)  LOL 

Actually, I don't think walking through aid stations is a bad idea. Higdon is a proponent of it.  It's easier to get the fluids you want and get them down that way.

I'm thinking of races longer than a 10k, of course.

Tom, I think you missed the humor in my statement above...but on a serious note, 

Walking through aid stations is not a bad idea if you are just trying to finish...but my goal in each race is to set a PR.. I try to push it the first 1/2 and negative split the 2nd 1/2 of any race I do.  I have done this successfully for my first 1/2 marathon and my first 15k (9.3 miles) race.  

I find that trying to run through the aid stations, grabbing a 4 oz cup, that I inevitably spill 1/2 the fluid out of, and throw it away is a lot more difficult than just taking a sip of water or gatorade from the bottles I have on me.  I get to keep my pace, I get to drink when I want or need to drink, and I am not limited to waiting for the next aid station - which might be a mile or more away.  

I pass a lot of people that are stopped at the aid stations - so for me, at my level (1:36:ish 1/2 marathon), it seems to be an advantage.  

<sarcasm>

Not to mention, I am trying to crush the soul of every other Male between the ages of 40-44 that had the courage to step on the course with me that day. 

</sarcasm>

2013-03-05 5:09 PM

User image

Master
cdban66 - 2013-03-05 2:38 PM

My FB update earlier today was country lyrics..."Do you pour a little something on the rocks, slide down the hallway in your socks...Who are you when I'm not looking?" I'm a country girl at heart. Grandparents lived on a ranch. Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline, Oakridge Boys, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, etc... were favorites. Nowadays, I most often listen to country with splashes of other genres to add variety. Country music, more often than others, tells a story and I like that. I don't listen to it when I'm working out though. Lol
2013-03-05 5:12 PM

User image

Elite
cdban66 - 2013-03-06 9:38 AM

Oh my it is very varied.  I LOVE  Bon Jovi, Nickelback, GnR etc.  I love old U2.  Then newer stuff I like Temper Trap.  I like Gotye.  I like rap.  I like rock, I like country (love Dixie Chicks!).  I'm dependent on my mood for the music I listen to.  I like Bruce Springsteen.  I like Simon and Garfunkel. 

Easier to list what I don't like, Pink, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Elton John (can't stand him!) George Michael.

So if push came to shove and i had to choose a genre it would be c*ck rock!  Where the dudes hair is too long and his pants too tight - think  Journey, Foreigner, Scorpions, REO Speedwagon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Boston, Kansas...etc with the newer being Nickelback and Bon Jovi!

2013-03-05 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4647731

User image

Master
jobaxas - 2013-03-05 3:12 PM

Oh my it is very varied.  I LOVE  Bon Jovi, Nickelback, GnR etc.  I love old U2.  Then newer stuff I like Temper Trap.  I like Gotye.  I like rap.  I like rock, I like country (love Dixie Chicks!).  I'm dependent on my mood for the music I listen to.  I like Bruce Springsteen.  I like Simon and Garfunkel. 

Easier to list what I don't like, Pink, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Elton John (can't stand him!) George Michael.

So if push came to shove and i had to choose a genre it would be c*ck rock!  Where the dudes hair is too long and his pants too tight - think  Journey, Foreigner, Scorpions, REO Speedwagon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Boston, Kansas...etc with the newer being Nickelback and Bon Jovi!

Haha! So now is where I raise my hand and say I bought Monster Ballads cds?
2013-03-05 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4647731

User image

Elite

Day One.

Diet time people. I would think with the hours training I put in I could eat whatever the heck I like - apparently not.  so I've hit the health trail again.

I asked a guy I know who lost a lot of weight last year his regime - he told me and said to try it for four weeks see how you go.  So I'm trying it.

Breakfast - oatmeal made with water, handful of walnuts and raisins. 

Lunch - tuna/salmon salad

Dinner - tuna/salmon/lean meat - served with stir fry veg or salad.

Snacks - fruit and nuts.

On big training days, gus, gels, sports drinks and an occasional cookie are allowed.

I will be posting before and after pics for the four weeks - watch this space.  I wanna be lean!

2013-03-05 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4647739

User image

Elite
4agoodlife - 2013-03-06 10:16 AM
jobaxas - 2013-03-05 3:12 PM

Haha! So now is where I raise my hand and say I bought Monster Ballads cds?

Abso-f*cking-lutely.

2013-03-05 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4647671

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2013-03-06 6:20 AM

Y-4.

Yes it's four more sleeps until Sunday when I get to meet up with her Yantiness!  I am beyond excited!!!

BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a Melbourne slot despite all the wheeling dealing shady offers and Melon Press bribes I could muster, but I am SOOOOOO EXCITED about slurping and shoulder kisses and arm nibbling

2013-03-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4646953

User image

Melon Presser
melbo55 - 2013-03-05 11:15 PM

LOL. I'm a few shades over 5' 3". Which makes me a water buffalo in Indonesia but a hobbit anywhere else

Did anyone mention Nathan?

2013-03-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4647744

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2013-03-06 10:20 AM

Y-4.

BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a Melbourne slot despite all the wheeling dealing shady offers and Melon Press bribes I could muster, but I am SOOOOOO EXCITED about slurping and shoulder kisses and arm nibbling

Plenty of time to wheel and deal for Cairns baby!

2013-03-05 5:25 PM

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2013-03-05 4:38 PM

There is absolutely NO WAY I could ever answer that question. Easy my azz!

2013-03-05 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4647744

User image

Master
TriAya - 2013-03-05 3:20 PM

Y-4.

BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

Well, that's a downer BUT I know you two will post pics...CUZ IT DID HAPPEN!

2013-03-05 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
cdban66 - 2013-03-05 4:38 PM

I like Nickleback (and I'm not afraid to admit it), Switchback, Jars of Clay, U2, Barenaked Ladies, REM. I even like some Toby Mack now and then. I love Adele, Natalie Merchant, Sheryl Crow, etc.

I loved the Johnny Cash song you posted in your blog. I listened to it a couple times this morning while I was home sick. (I suspect strep).

Oops. I guess I didn't narrow that down very much, but maybe you get the idea. I love alternative-type music with a positive message. (I bounce between the CoffeeHouse and the Message on my satellite radio.) Songs which use swear words to the extreme or describe various sexual positions get the "thumbs down" from me on Pandora. My husband says I'm a puritan. eh. Maybe.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106