BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-09-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ran my first cross country meet of the season. The bar was pretty low since I was just coming off a break and didn't do any quality workouts leading in. Then, I had some major personal stress, was in a wedding  the night before and woke up with a cold. Surprisingly, despite all that "stuff" I only wound up about a minute slower than last year. So, I'd say it's a really nice baseline.

I am chomping at the bit to get my butt in gear but now I've got a cold (surprise, surprise) likely from having too much on my plate. So, I am just going to take it easy (again) this week and try and really get going on things...well...when I can. I have the final race of the trail running series on Saturday, then a backcountry adventure I am doing with some friends on Sunday (basically a long, mountainous, beautiful loop.) Keep an eye on Instagram for some photos of this trip!

I head to California at the end of next week for what I can only describe as Tour De Cali. A mix of road tripping, running (Yosemite and Mt. Whitney being two of the destinations) and finally working a few days at our office in LA. 

Anyway, that's my update. Phew.

So much fun! (except the being sick part)

I have my first XC race this weekend. Based on what I've read here I figure there is a real possibility of being DFL. But I'll channel my inner Salty and see what I come up with.

Well, who are you racing against?

Our races are typically collegiate D1, D2 and D3 races, hence the high level of competition. There's not a very diverse sampling of runners like you would find at a community 5K. But that is not necessarily how all XC races in all regions end up working out.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-09-22 2:40 PM

2015-09-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ran my first cross country meet of the season. The bar was pretty low since I was just coming off a break and didn't do any quality workouts leading in. Then, I had some major personal stress, was in a wedding  the night before and woke up with a cold. Surprisingly, despite all that "stuff" I only wound up about a minute slower than last year. So, I'd say it's a really nice baseline.

I am chomping at the bit to get my butt in gear but now I've got a cold (surprise, surprise) likely from having too much on my plate. So, I am just going to take it easy (again) this week and try and really get going on things...well...when I can. I have the final race of the trail running series on Saturday, then a backcountry adventure I am doing with some friends on Sunday (basically a long, mountainous, beautiful loop.) Keep an eye on Instagram for some photos of this trip!

I head to California at the end of next week for what I can only describe as Tour De Cali. A mix of road tripping, running (Yosemite and Mt. Whitney being two of the destinations) and finally working a few days at our office in LA. 

I have my first XC race this weekend. Based on what I've read here I figure there is a real possibility of being DFL. But I'll channel my inner Salty and see what I come up with.

Our races are typically collegiate D1, D2 and D3 races, hence the high level of competition. There's not a very diverse sampling of runners like you would find at a community 5K. But that is not necessarily how all XC races in all regions end up working out.

I don't knowl, really. It is a community XC being held before the HS/JH regional meet. I guess we'll see. I'm just looking forward to being on a XC track.

2015-09-22 2:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

I don't knowl, really. It is a community XC being held before the HS/JH regional meet. I guess we'll see. I'm just looking forward to being on a XC track.

Ah yeah, I am sure it will be just fine since there is a community designation. 

2015-09-22 3:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

What is an XC "track"?

2015-09-22 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So, I got an email from Pactimo today and I could not believe they used the word literally inappropriately. After all of our EPIC discussions I had to share this...

hahahah, I guess that's one way to keep a steady stream of revenue - one use and you have to buy another kit! Of course, the injuries to the users may deter a few 

2015-09-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

So, I got an email from Pactimo today and I could not believe they used the word literally inappropriately. After all of our EPIC discussions I had to share this...

hahahah, I guess that's one way to keep a steady stream of revenue - one use and you have to buy another kit! Of course, the injuries to the users may deter a few 

Yes... I'm not sure "exploding" is a trait I'm looking for in my fitness clothing

2015-09-22 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
This is literally the most awesome, epic use of our language!!! Ever. Who ever heads up the marketing dept needs to do some reassessment of their staff.
2015-09-22 3:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by cdban66

This is literally the most awesome, epic use of our language!!! Ever. Who ever heads up the marketing dept needs to do some reassessment of their staff.

I was under the impression that they (Oxford English Dictionary?) has added to the definition of the word "Literally" in its' latest offerings to bring it up to date with the general public's' incorrect usage of the word, which means the advertisers have used it correctly. Now that's epic
Alternatively, I may have dreamed this.
2015-09-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by cdban66 This is literally the most awesome, epic use of our language!!! Ever. Who ever heads up the marketing dept needs to do some reassessment of their staff.
I was under the impression that they (Oxford English Dictionary?) has added to the definition of the word "Literally" in its' latest offerings to bring it up to date with the general public's' incorrect usage of the word, which means the advertisers have used it correctly. Now that's epic Alternatively, I may have dreamed this.

Yes, I read that the OED did that too, but I reject it!!

2015-09-22 3:55 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by cdban66 This is literally the most awesome, epic use of our language!!! Ever. Who ever heads up the marketing dept needs to do some reassessment of their staff.
I was under the impression that they (Oxford English Dictionary?) has added to the definition of the word "Literally" in its' latest offerings to bring it up to date with the general public's' incorrect usage of the word, which means the advertisers have used it correctly. Now that's epic Alternatively, I may have dreamed this.

Sad, but likely true. Just lower the standard to the least common denominator...

2015-09-22 4:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

What is an XC "track"?

Beg your pardon... it is a XC course

2015-09-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #5142507

User image

Denver, CO
The use of quotation marks for emphasis makes me want to literally "explode." The combination of incorrect punctuation and word choice is totally epic. Young people these days....
2015-09-22 4:59 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
lit·er·al·ly
'lid?r?le,'litr?le/
adverb

1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
    synonyms:exactlypreciselyactuallyreallytrulyMore

informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

And this
2015-09-22 5:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by IronOx

lit·er·al·ly
'lid?r?le,'litr?le/
adverb

1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
    synonyms:exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; More

informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

And this

Let's hear it for rainbow coloured steam rollers
2015-09-22 11:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

What is an XC "track"?

Just checking. The group does seem to find a variety of events. 

2015-09-22 11:51 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ok so Yep, it's Tuesday. And today's all consuming thought is POWER METERS. There's a thread in the TT forum but I don't want to hijack. I'm thinking I'm paging Ben here but please anyone chime in. so first power meter and I think I'm down to two choices: Powertap pedals: pros: easy to swap between bikes, it's POWERTAP (proven performance), dual sided power, easy battery swap cons: expensive, coach doesn't like pedals because of the greater likely hood of damange in a crash etc, I ride speedplay pedals now although I've been thinking about trying another type without the free float power2max spider/cranks: pro: bang for the buck, keep pedals cons: estimated left leg power, can't swap bikes (different cranks/bbs) I also like Quarq and SRM but if I'm going crank I'd probably go for p2m for $$ any other input is welcome. I'm trying to hold out for the dcrainmaker annual review but I'm getting excited as I just met with my new coach and I want to get power installed.
I knocked out 2 birds with one stone by buying a set of Jet HED 6's with a powertap hub, and bought them used to keep the cost down. I swap them back and forth between my roadie and TT bike in no time at all.

I'm hoping to train with a PM over the winter and have been watching the market as it quickly changes.  Lots of new products and some great prices.  I may end up buying something a little older used though.  Just don't know yet. 

2015-09-23 12:02 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job with your seasonal opener despite the other stuff going on.  Can't wait to see how next weekend turns out.  

2015-09-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

What is an XC "track"?

To further define XC course: Any imaginable surface and conditional variation, not limited to the natural environment (refer to cement curb, hay bale, sand trap or other imaginable obstacle for further reference)

2015-09-23 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What is an XC "track"?

To further define XC course: Any imaginable surface and conditional variation, not limited to the natural environment (refer to cement curb, hay bale, sand trap or other imaginable obstacle for further reference)

I was talking to my boss about it this morning. I told him I'm looking forward to grassy knolls, and tree roots and gravel and whatever else they have. I'm looking foward to up n down, not up n up n up

2015-09-23 5:35 PM

User image

Seattle

Welp, here's the race report. Gotta report on the bad ones too 

2015-09-23 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

dp

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-09-23 5:36 PM

2015-09-24 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Scans yesterday did not go so well.  Small something they saw last time and wanted to keep an eye on is now of greater concern.  Tomorrow doc takes to their tumor board to decide whether to surgically remove or do further testing.  Conversation didn't go so well with this doc.  He starts talking about palliative care over curative care.  I thought that was a bit premature since he was only 50/50 on it being the same thing I had before or something less.  He agreed somewhat and said he was just trying to be realistic.  Either way I didn't think I'd make it this far after the last bout six years ago so am still thankful overall.  All I wanted to do was go for a run which I did when I got home.  It brought me great relief. 

2015-09-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by popsracer

Scans yesterday did not go so well.  Small something they saw last time and wanted to keep an eye on is now of greater concern.  Tomorrow doc takes to their tumor board to decide whether to surgically remove or do further testing.  Conversation didn't go so well with this doc.  He starts talking about palliative care over curative care.  I thought that was a bit premature since he was only 50/50 on it being the same thing I had before or something less.  He agreed somewhat and said he was just trying to be realistic.  Either way I didn't think I'd make it this far after the last bout six years ago so am still thankful overall.  All I wanted to do was go for a run which I did when I got home.  It brought me great relief. 

I'm so very sorry to read this.  Hopefully, further examination (whatever form that takes) will provide more positive news.  I'm happy that you find relief running.  Sending all good thoughts and prayers your way.

2015-09-24 11:45 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Steve, that just sucks.  Bosh on palliative care, I say, bosh!!  Sending lots of good thoughts that it's not what it was before and that it can be nipped in the bud.  Glad the run was helpful.  (((Hugs))), friend.

2015-09-24 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

That sux. So sorry to hear it. I'll be praying.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68295 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29102 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12293 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38549 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67788 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.