BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-10 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2207160

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Havin'Fun - 2009-06-10 8:51 AM
cbarnes1 - 2009-06-09 4:04 PM Checking in as it has been a while.  Did the Camp Pendleton Mud Run this weekend and had a blast.  We had almost 50 firefighters from my department go down and run.  Most of which had never run a race before!! 

Tracy - AWESOME that you are doing B2B.  I like Long and Gone- go Suzy! It helps to have support during training!! 

Update on me, I stopped logging and doing anything structured.  It is my relax phase before the official training plan starts for B2B.  I get out just to enjoy without stressing over minutes, miles or intensity.  I am however HEALED!!

Everyone seems to be doing great!  I can't keep up with all the posts but I make an effort to try. 

Holly, injuries heal! They just suck.

Chet

Hey Chet,  Glad to hear you are healed.  My husband did that Mud Run before we left CA.  I was pregnant with my second, so my oldest was just a year.  My son was terrified when a man covered in gross mud (head to toe) came up to him after the race...he didn't recognize it was Daddy.  I took him quite a while to talk to Daddy that day - he did not like the mud!  My husband and I wanted to do the Muddy Buddy in Atlanta this year....but it falls on the day of my daughters first ballet recital.  So, hopefully next year.  Those are fun races! 

Are you sure you couldn't show up to the recital muddy?  I bet it would get quite a reaction for your daughter AND the audience!

2009-06-10 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Suzy-- I am using and Xlab, and there is plenty of clearance on it... You can set it up on either the upbar (which allows more clearence) or set it lower (like mine).  But you should have PLENTY of room.  My wife rides a 51 (I know- you are riding 48 or less) and she has the same thing with LOTS of clearance.

Roni-- I will keep an eye out.  We are really only in town Friday (race Saturday) and making the 8hr drive home Sunday, but I will keep an eye out for ya!  Good luck.....  (Same to you Baowolf)....  Pray for NO THUNDERSTORMS!
2009-06-10 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Suzy have you tried mixing a GEL with water?  I have never tried it (I like gels, and this sounds wrong TO ME), but I have heard a ton of people do it?
2009-06-10 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Steve...dumb question.  Can you explain to me how you load and use your aero bottle for the half or full?  I know you said its almost gel like...do you drink it like that then just add water and keep drinking?  
2009-06-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2207618

User image

Pro
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 8:56 AM Steve...dumb question.  Can you explain to me how you load and use your aero bottle for the half or full?  I know you said its almost gel like...do you drink it like that then just add water and keep drinking?  

What I do for the 1/2 and Full are a little different...

Half- I will use the 2 water bottles in the rear cage as my main nutrition... 1 is Carbo Pro and Gatorade (about 500 calories), the other will be Infinit w/ hint of Gatorade (the gatorade is the powder form just like infinit, and carbo pro- this bottle will be about 250 calories).  I will also have 2 gels with me (about 100 calories each).  This equals almost 1000 calories (which is MORE than enough).... I put the cage on the frame (see Xlab label in pic) for water at the aid stations.  I will take a GU about 5 minutes before the aid staion, then chase with water and toss bottle at next aid station.  Water is need to help absorb the GU (OTHER WISE GI ISSUES here we come!).  I usually stop w/ Infinit, and Carbopro about 20-30 minutes out from T2 to allow stomach to absorb/settle and get ready for the run.

During a full Ironman I essentially use the same system, but everything is double.  I also use the Profile Design system that you put on your aerobars..... This is the "DUMPING GROUND" for me.  My heavy solutions (about 10 scoops of Carbopro, 4 scoops of Infinit {different bottles, different times}) I but in the front bottle and at each water station I had water in to dilute it some (and swig a little water).  I repeat process at special needs (about mile 70 or so) where I have another bottle of solution (not so strong) and go from there.  This is a much trickier ordeal and everyone is different.
2009-06-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2207704

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2009-06-10 11:18 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 8:56 AM Steve...dumb question.  Can you explain to me how you load and use your aero bottle for the half or full?  I know you said its almost gel like...do you drink it like that then just add water and keep drinking?  

What I do for the 1/2 and Full are a little different...

Half- I will use the 2 water bottles in the rear cage as my main nutrition... 1 is Carbo Pro and Gatorade (about 500 calories), the other will be Infinit w/ hint of Gatorade (the gatorade is the powder form just like infinit, and carbo pro- this bottle will be about 250 calories).  I will also have 2 gels with me (about 100 calories each).  This equals almost 1000 calories (which is MORE than enough).... I put the cage on the frame (see Xlab label in pic) for water at the aid stations.  I will take a GU about 5 minutes before the aid staion, then chase with water and toss bottle at next aid station.  Water is need to help absorb the GU (OTHER WISE GI ISSUES here we come!).  I usually stop w/ Infinit, and Carbopro about 20-30 minutes out from T2 to allow stomach to absorb/settle and get ready for the run.

During a full Ironman I essentially use the same system, but everything is double.  I also use the Profile Design system that you put on your aerobars..... This is the "DUMPING GROUND" for me.  My heavy solutions (about 10 scoops of Carbopro, 4 scoops of Infinit {different bottles, different times}) I but in the front bottle and at each water station I had water in to dilute it some (and swig a little water).  I repeat process at special needs (about mile 70 or so) where I have another bottle of solution (not so strong) and go from there.  This is a much trickier ordeal and everyone is different.

Ok I thought you were using the IM setup for the 1/2 and didn't think about the special needs bag..  Now I'm on board.  Is that 500 calories in bottle one normal or did you put extra scoops in there?   Thanks

edit... kind of funny....now that the season is really cranking up, i look around BT  and notice a lot more nutrition posts are popping up.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-10 11:36 AM

2009-06-10 11:39 AM

User image

Pro

"Normal" by my standards.  I would rather carry less water (weight) and load up these, then grab water if/when neeeded.  That is usually what I take on my training rides, so I stick with what I train with (for the most part).  There have been races where stuff just doesn't go well and you need to make the necessary changes.  I have dropped nutrition before and have to make due with what is on the course.  Your ability to adapt will help you in the long run.  Luckily I don't have too sensitive of a stomach (eat my words right.. 1/2 Iron this weekend...Something is going to happen  now!!!) and can make do out on the course....

2009-06-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2207767

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-06-10 11:39 AM

"Normal" by my standards.  I would rather carry less water (weight) and load up these, then grab water if/when neeeded.  That is usually what I take on my training rides, so I stick with what I train with (for the most part).  There have been races where stuff just doesn't go well and you need to make the necessary changes.  I have dropped nutrition before and have to make due with what is on the course.  Your ability to adapt will help you in the long run.  Luckily I don't have too sensitive of a stomach (eat my words right.. 1/2 Iron this weekend...Something is going to happen  now!!!) and can make do out on the course....

Look out, dumb question ahead.....do you stop at these aid stations?  I always hear about these "mixing this and mixing that" stories during the race, but I never quite understand how it happens.   I cannot imagine doing it on the fly.

To answer your question, I have not mixed gels and H20, but it is on my list of things to try.   In the link Tracy provided, there was a discussion of using Carb Pro and Nunn's together.  I LOVE CarbPro because it settles well, but I HATE Nunn's.  I am trying to figure out the best way to ingest the electrolytes.  I would really like to slam a few Endurolytes and be done with it, but it takes time for them to digest and it probably isn't enough, even given my size.  On top of all that, I am supposed to figure out how to add protein into this conncoction. Ugh.  Too complicated.  I want one thing in one bottle.
2009-06-10 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2207445

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
ashort33 - 2009-06-10 11:10 AM

Team Shi - got my 5k in this morning. My now PR time was 34:05. Sorry so slow, still some short walk breaks going on, but I did manage to run the first mile and half with out slowing down before going to a run/walk sequence. Even so, I am pretty happy with it, as back at the beginning of April, I couldn't run a full mile and was lucky to get 2 miles in 30 minutes! I am the tortoise -oh cucoo chooo... (think Beatles - I am the Walrus...) Next goal for 5k is under 30min! Hopefully I can get there by the end of July! BTW did I mention it was 81F with 100% humidity at 5:15 this morning -ugh, summer is here in DFW despite the calendar...

This is awesome!  Congratulations!  Don't apologize for your time!  It is a PR and that rocks!!!  Keep up the good work!

Karen
2009-06-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2208182

User image

Elite
san francisco

SSMinnow - 2009-06-10 11:52 AM

Look out, dumb question ahead.....do you stop at these aid stations?  I always hear about these "mixing this and mixing that" stories during the race, but I never quite understand how it happens.   I cannot imagine doing it on the fly.

To answer your question, I have not mixed gels and H20, but it is on my list of things to try.   In the link Tracy provided, there was a discussion of using Carb Pro and Nunn's together.  I LOVE CarbPro because it settles well, but I HATE Nunn's.  I am trying to figure out the best way to ingest the electrolytes.  I would really like to slam a few Endurolytes and be done with it, but it takes time for them to digest and it probably isn't enough, even given my size.  On top of all that, I am supposed to figure out how to add protein into this conncoction. Ugh.  Too complicated.  I want one thing in one bottle.

Thanks for asking that question Suzy, I'm kind of baffled as to how it all works!  So I just got my Infinit Special Formula and used it on my trainer ride this morning.  I might add a little bit of cyto to it for flavor.  But I was thinking of using my aerodrink for 2 scoops = 232 cal and a bottle on the downtube with another 2 scoops =232 cal and then a bottle of water in my other holder which I can refill along the way.  I just don't think I can drink it if it's too concentrated. 

Then two bags of clif shots in my fuel box.  And a couple of gels in my tri shirt.  It seems like a lot of calories for 56 miles, but I did finish my sport drink for the olympic this past weekend along with one bag of clif shots and half of a bottle of water.  I'm going to try it out on a long ride this weekend and will let you know how it goes.  As per Steve's advice I think I'll switch to just water about 30 min before the end to see how my stomach feels and run about 15 minutes. 

2009-06-10 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

So piggy backing on all these posts....I only have one bottle cage on the main stem on the bike. Dumb question, but how do you add another on the frame? Do you drill a hole into your frame? I'm not at the point when I need to have the behind the seat holder like you hardcores have. Or do I buck on and get the aero bar drink holder thingamajig?

Edited by TrevorC 2009-06-10 3:42 PM

2009-06-10 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2208465

User image

Elite
san francisco

TrevorC - 2009-06-10 1:37 PM

So piggy backing on all these posts....I only have one bottle cage on the main stem on the bike. Dumb question, but how do you add another on the frame? Do you drill a hole into your frame? I'm not at the point when I need to behind the seat holder like you hardcores have. Or do I buck on and get the aero bar drink holder thingamajig?

Trev- your bike should already have holes for the other cage...or it doesn't.  I don't think you want to just drill holes into your frame!!!    My older Miyata (which I used for my first tri) only had the ability to mount one bottle.  You might have to do the behind seat thing.  I tried that with my Miyata and always felt kind of clumsy with it.  That's one reason I decided to go w/ the aero bar drink holder thingamajig....which I was kind of reluctant to do, because it looks so...racy...and I don't feel very racy...but it sure is convenient to just sip at the straw right in front of you! 

Who's hardcore around here??? Oh, our wonderful mentor Steve?  Let's wish him lots of luck at Boise this weekend...and Roni too!  Barry has an Oly this weekend too!  Okay, let's have it, who else is racing this weekend???

2009-06-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2208495

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2009-06-10 2:47 PM

So piggy backing on all these posts....I only have one bottle cage on the main stem on the bike. Dumb question, but how do you add another on the frame? Do you drill a hole into your frame? I'm not at the point when I need to behind the seat holder like you hardcores have. Or do I buck on and get the aero bar drink holder thingamajig?

Trev- your bike should already have holes for the other cage...or it doesn't.  I don't think you want to just drill holes into your frame!!!    My older Miyata (which I used for my first tri) only had the ability to mount one bottle.  You might have to do the behind seat thing.  I tried that with my Miyata and always felt kind of clumsy with it.  That's one reason I decided to go w/ the aero bar drink holder thingamajig....which I was kind of reluctant to do, because it looks so...racy...and I don't feel very racy...but it sure is convenient to just sip at the straw right in front of you! 

Who's hardcore around here??? Oh, our wonderful mentor Steve?  Let's wish him lots of luck at Boise this weekend...and Roni too!  Barry has an Oly this weekend too!  Okay, let's have it, who else is racing this weekend???

Ya mine only has the one holder....I just cant see me bucking up for the behind the seat. But for my Oly coming up, one bottle wont be enough.
2009-06-10 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Well I'm glad to see my question actually evolved into something.  I think I'm going to stick with what I've been using all along and that's plain old Gatorade....  heaven forbidWink.  

Funny/dumb story.  I went out w/ two bottles at the 1/4 Iron, 3 miles longer than an OLY, and was so happy I actually rode through the hand-up, grabbed a bottle while rolling, and didn't kill myself or anyone.  But then I realized I forgot to toss a bottle.  So instead of reaching down and grabbing an empty I tossed the full bottle of GE. 
2009-06-10 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2208431

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2009-06-10 3:20 PM

Thanks for asking that question Suzy, I'm kind of baffled as to how it all works!  So I just got my Infinit Special Formula and used it on my trainer ride this morning.  I might add a little bit of cyto to it for flavor.  But I was thinking of using my aerodrink for 2 scoops = 232 cal and a bottle on the downtube with another 2 scoops =232 cal and then a bottle of water in my other holder which I can refill along the way.  I just don't think I can drink it if it's too concentrated. 

Then two bags of clif shots in my fuel box.  And a couple of gels in my tri shirt.  It seems like a lot of calories for 56 miles, but I did finish my sport drink for the olympic this past weekend along with one bag of clif shots and half of a bottle of water.  I'm going to try it out on a long ride this weekend and will let you know how it goes.  As per Steve's advice I think I'll switch to just water about 30 min before the end to see how my stomach feels and run about 15 minutes. 

LOL!  My 300 cal/hr doesn't seem like much after reading this.  But totally irrelevant because it works for you! I met a guy the other night who claims to put down 400 an hour in a 1/2...   puke

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-10 4:53 PM
2009-06-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2208465

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-06-10 3:37 PM

So piggy backing on all these posts....I only have one bottle cage on the main stem on the bike. Dumb question, but how do you add another on the frame? Do you drill a hole into your frame? I'm not at the point when I need to have the behind the seat holder like you hardcores have. Or do I buck on and get the aero bar drink holder thingamajig?

Don't listen to Kim!   You have to drill holes in your bike.

edit....ahhh Trevor.,  June must have gotten your telepathic message to have a big stinky poop blow out of her diaper while I was typing the above.  Man that was gross.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-10 5:09 PM

2009-06-10 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2208631

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 4:55 PM

Personally, I would take it to my LBS and have them do it.  It seems to me that you will need something more than just two holes so that the little screws stay in and don't fall out....

-Andy

2009-06-10 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2208495

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kt65 - 2009-06-10 3:47 PM

Mini - Sprint for me 400m OWS / 11 mi / 2 mi on Saturday - what a way to turn 41....

2009-06-10 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2208656

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-06-10 5:10 PM

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 4:55 PM

Personally, I would take it to my LBS and have them do it.  It seems to me that you will need something more than just two holes so that the little screws stay in and don't fall out....

-Andy

Andy, Don't make me start using this!

Oh.. while I'm thinking abt it.  I saw a Hotter than Hell Lodging post on the TX forum.  Will that help you for Katy Flatlands?

Happy B-day OLD MAN

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-10 5:33 PM
2009-06-10 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Trevor... You must have a Canadian bike.  I have never heard of just one spot for a drink holder... NEVER... Double check please.

Suzy-- Sounds brutal, but what my Brother in law does on extremely hot days is bite's the endurolyte and/or thermolyte pill in half and eat's it.  Says it take everything to get it down (so gross i guess), but it goes right into your system (man I feel like I am talking about a new way to take drugs or something !).  Shoot... Try putting a shot of Tang powder in your drink?  That may help a little?!

To all of you--- I am leaving tomorrow morning, and will be making the 8hr+ drive to stay w/ our friends before the race.  I don't think I will be on-line at all until Sunday night, Monday morning.  Good luck to all of you racing.  You all (ALL OF YOU) will be in my thoughts come Saturday.  If you want to know how things are going you can go to www.ironmanlive.com (I think) to get the race results.... Our race starts @ 2pm so not your normal 7am start.  This is going to be hard for me!?  Anyway no big goals for me... I just want to finish strong, race smart, and leave most of "IT" out on the course. 

XOXOXO to all you.
2009-06-10 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2208687

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2009-06-10 5:40 PM Trevor... You must have a Canadian bike.  I have never heard of just one spot for a drink holder... NEVER... Double check please.

Suzy-- Sounds brutal, but what my Brother in law does on extremely hot days is bite's the endurolyte and/or thermolyte pill in half and eat's it.  Says it take everything to get it down (so gross i guess), but it goes right into your system (man I feel like I am talking about a new way to take drugs or something !).  Shoot... Try putting a shot of Tang powder in your drink?  That may help a little?!

To all of you--- I am leaving tomorrow morning, and will be making the 8hr+ drive to stay w/ our friends before the race.  I don't think I will be on-line at all until Sunday night, Monday morning.  Good luck to all of you racing.  You all (ALL OF YOU) will be in my thoughts come Saturday.  If you want to know how things are going you can go to www.ironmanlive.com (I think) to get the race results.... Our race starts @ 2pm so not your normal 7am start.  This is going to be hard for me!?  Anyway no big goals for me... I just want to finish strong, race smart, and leave most of "IT" out on the course. 

XOXOXO to all you.

i'm blushing!   GOOD LUCK MAN!!!

2009-06-10 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2208627

User image

Elite
san francisco

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-10 2:52 PM
kt65 - 2009-06-10 3:20 PM

LOL!  My 300 cal/hr doesn't seem like much after reading this.  But totally irrelevant because it works for you! I met a guy the other night who claims to put down 400 an hour in a 1/2...   puke

John- I think I it will be about 250/hour-- 464 of infinit, clif shots break down to 33 cal/ blk (12 in 2 packs) = 396.  The gels are about 100cal/ gel and they are probably more for variety if I get sick of the shot blocks.  So if the ride takes about 3.5 hours, I'm all set! 

Btw, for real, can you drill holes into your own frame without damaging anything? I guess I would bring it to the LBS too.

Good luck Steve, not that you need it or anything you big Stud!!!

Edited by kt65 2009-06-10 5:48 PM
2009-06-10 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN BIKE FRAME.....
2009-06-10 6:26 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

I'm sorry, what was that? 

2009-06-10 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
oh i'll edit this.. lemme stop and go drink a beer.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-10 6:34 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383