BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-08-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3633719

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Corncub - 2011-08-08 9:31 AM

I posted a race report for yesterdays sprint. It was hard in some ways, a learning experience for sure but I had a really good bike segment and so I'm really stoked about that...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263973

After the race I was walking around thinking to myself, is this worth the hassle, the time and mental energy I put into training, the cost... I was feeling a bit down on it all, got into a bit of a negative mind after the race. Today I realize I was seriously exhausted from lack of rest all last week, I was emotionally depleted. I feel good about it today, I learned a lot yesterday and will try not to make the same mistakes again. The main thing is to enjoy the race! My prerace experience sucked and it affected my attitude going into the race. It was a day of ups and downs.

Just read your race report, you should feel good about your race.  Not only did you finish but you finished in the top 1/5 of the participants!!!!  That is something to be very excited and proud of.  Glad you felt better about it the day after. (Hopefully you continue to do so)  As one of my friends tells me when I gripe about my own performance "You are out there doing it.  A large majority of the population is not."

Great job on a race well done!

2011-08-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3634868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
ricmachado - 2011-08-08 4:27 PM

Hello McFuzzies,

I was traveling for the past month a little for vacatioin and a lot for work. Didn't have a computer to lof anything. Now back home and back running and bike.

Lot's of reading to do at least 10 pages on this thread to catch up

Welcome back!

2011-08-11 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
At home and sick today.  Post Ironman blues, too.  I want out of this funk. 
2011-08-12 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3640059

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

ecpasos - 2011-08-11 5:24 PM At home and sick today.  Post Ironman blues, too.  I want out of this funk. 

I hear ya.  Just try to take advantage of the forced "relaxation" and allow your body to heal.  

I'm suposed to do an 8 mile run today.  Haven't been able to leave the house.  Crohn's disease has reared it's ugly head this morning.  Hoping to get out eventually.

2011-08-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3640776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
suzimmer - 2011-08-12 7:42 AM

ecpasos - 2011-08-11 5:24 PM At home and sick today.  Post Ironman blues, too.  I want out of this funk. 

I hear ya.  Just try to take advantage of the forced "relaxation" and allow your body to heal.  

I'm suposed to do an 8 mile run today.  Haven't been able to leave the house.  Crohn's disease has reared it's ugly head this morning.  Hoping to get out eventually.

. I feel a lot better today. Hope you are doing well.
2011-08-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3642026

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
ecpasos - 2011-08-13 10:58 AM

Well you did just do what only about 0.06% of the world will ever do.  140.6 miles of the worst, most painfull, agonizing, excruciating, torturous, damaging, noxious, raw, threatening, what was I EVER thinking, and exhilarating, electrifying, hair-raising, heart-stopping, galvanizing, intoxicating, mind-bending, stimulating, thrilling, rip-roaring, and inspiring miles you will ever travel in your life.  There is bound to be a bit of a let down the week after.

Last year I got pretty messed up at IMKY and was off for 11 days after I got home.  It wasn't until day 12 when I was able to do my first little 3 mile run that it felt like the universe was aligned once more.   I would suggest setting your next race goal sooner rather than later.  When you have a point in the future to strive towords with purpose, it makes the feeling you have right now much less.

Great job my friend, you are part of a very elite group now, and when ever you see someone with that Mdot tattoo, you will have a kinship with them before you even say hello. 

Edited by discipleguideservice 2011-08-14 12:25 AM

2011-08-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3642026

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-08-13 11:58 AM

SO glad you are feeling better!! Very proud to be your McFuzzmate!
2011-08-14 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3640776

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2011-08-12 10:42 AM

Hope you got out... feeling any better?
2011-08-14 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Just updated my race log. McFuzz sent me a nice inspire for today's trilogy...but I'm not doing it! Sorry!!

Relay August 28th, I will swim the 1/2 mile, my friend CAT will bike, and my husband will run the 10k. We haven't signed up yet as they both have bum knees. Oy.

September 4th, will be my second Triathlon... Trek Womens Tri in Clermont FL. Hope to see miss AMD.

September 18th, Mack Cycle Triathlong Trilogy... it's the bonus one, the 4th. Haven't signed up for this one yet either...but I really want to do it.

Week 2 of ING Miami Marathon training has gone well! I found a chiropractor to help with my hip (electro-stim and ultra-sound). It's nice to spend a couple days a week without pain. Lots of stretching too. I have a whole series of things to do in the gym also.

Now I just need to decide which half-marathon to do in Nov/Dec. So many to choose from down here.

Suz i hope you got out! Eco...hang tough you IRONMAN you!

and thanks Fuzz for keeping track of us all!

Stephanie
2011-08-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3642240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
discipleguideservice - 2011-08-13 1:34 PM
ecpasos - 2011-08-13 10:58 AM

Well you did just do what only about 0.06% of the world will ever do.  140.6 miles of the worst, most painfull, agonizing, excruciating, torturous, damaging, noxious, raw, threatening, what was I EVER thinking, and exhilarating, electrifying, hair-raising, heart-stopping, galvanizing, intoxicating, mind-bending, stimulating, thrilling, rip-roaring, and inspiring miles you will ever travel in your life.  There is bound to be a bit of a let down the week after.

Last year I got pretty messed up at IMKY and was off for 11 days after I got home.  It wasn't until day 12 when I was able to do my first little 3 mile run that it felt like the universe was aligned once more.   I would suggest setting your next race goal sooner rather than later.  When you have a point in the future to strive towords with purpose, it makes the feeling you have right now much less.

Great job my friend, you are part of a very elite group now, and when ever you see someone with that Mdot tattoo, you will have a kinship with them before you even say hello. 

Thanks for the little pep talk.  It's easy to get stuck in the feeling of the moment which for me was boredom.  All of a sudden my daily schedule went from lots of training to zero training.  So I was looking for stuff to do, plus I picked up a cold.  Anyway, feeling better now and looking forward to my half mary at Disneyland in a few weeks.  It'll be a nice break mentally and also a nice return to regular workouts again.

Stephanie, good luck on your upcoming events.  Sounds like you have a few things lined up. 

2011-08-14 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Richardo, glad you are feeling better.

Steph, you have quite a busy month coming up.  You go Girl!

I finally did make it out for my 8 mile tempo run on Friday. Yeah!  Feeling much better.  Did a hard 2 hr bike yesterday and then, got to run the Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon today!  Nothing like running a half mary on tired legs.  But I got a free bib, in my own name, not taking somebody else, AND had access to the VIP tent before and after.   Now that's how you go to a race!  Own porta potties before, water, separate gear check. Tent was right at the start line and due to who we were with (two well known TV celebrities) got to go into the race without entering a corral. After, VIP tent had a breakfast buffet with hot food, linen table clothes and fresh flowers on the tables, bathrooms, (no porta potty), bar. (mmm Mimosas)   OMG I will feel like a peasant at all future races.   How did I get in? I have a friend who is celebrities' trainer. 

And I didn't do too badly running either, considering the tired legs. 1:56:37 So, a really great day!

Edited by suzimmer 2011-08-14 4:15 PM

2011-08-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3643119

User image

Master
Orlando
suzimmer - 2011-08-14 4:14 PM

Richardo, glad you are feeling better.

Steph, you have quite a busy month coming up.  You go Girl!

I finally did make it out for my 8 mile tempo run on Friday. Yeah!  Feeling much better.  Did a hard 2 hr bike yesterday and then, got to run the Chicago Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon today!  Nothing like running a half mary on tired legs.  But I got a free bib, in my own name, not taking somebody else, AND had access to the VIP tent before and after.   Now that's how you go to a race!  Own porta potties before, water, separate gear check. Tent was right at the start line and due to who we were with (two well known TV celebrities) got to go into the race without entering a corral. After, VIP tent had a breakfast buffet with hot food, linen table clothes and fresh flowers on the tables, bathrooms, (no porta potty), bar. (mmm Mimosas)   OMG I will feel like a peasant at all future races.   How did I get in? I have a friend who is celebrities' trainer. 

And I didn't do too badly running either, considering the tired legs. 1:56:37 So, a really great day!

Nice, I don't know how you'll ever do another race with the mere mortals  That's a great time for the race too - especially considering the day before workout.  Congrats!

I did a little sprint tri today and had an interesting experience in transition; I know that people's things can get jostled as everyone tries to quickly maneuver through transition, but i think this was a bit much:  when i got to my bike all my stuff was thrown all over the transition area, e.g, my garmin was in the next rack, my sunglasses were a space or 2 over and were broken, helmet was on the ground etc.  It made for a slow transition as I tried to find all my stuff!  When I got home I noticed my handlebar tape was also torn around the drops on the side of the bike the person I believe was the culprit had his bike.  Total bummer.  This was the first race i tried to speed myself up in T1 by going sockless, so any gains from that were lost gathering my belongings from all over. As an aside, sockless was a fail as by mile 2 on the run I was getting rubbed raw on both feet (yes I did try running sockless before the race, so who knows what happened). 

I really need to work on my transitions, especially T1, as if you added just the sport portions of this race together I would have placed 1st in my AG, but when those were added in I was 4th!  So, any tips to speed me up will be appreciated

Hope everyone had a great racing or training weekend.

Ann-Marie

2011-08-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3642739

User image

Master
Orlando

stephsprint - 2011-08-14 8:28 AM Just updated my race log. McFuzz sent me a nice inspire for today's trilogy...but I'm not doing it! Sorry!! Relay August 28th, I will swim the 1/2 mile, my friend CAT will bike, and my husband will run the 10k. We haven't signed up yet as they both have bum knees. Oy. September 4th, will be my second Triathlon... Trek Womens Tri in Clermont FL. Hope to see miss AMD. September 18th, Mack Cycle Triathlong Trilogy... it's the bonus one, the 4th. Haven't signed up for this one yet either...but I really want to do it. Week 2 of ING Miami Marathon training has gone well! I found a chiropractor to help with my hip (electro-stim and ultra-sound). It's nice to spend a couple days a week without pain. Lots of stretching too. I have a whole series of things to do in the gym also. Now I just need to decide which half-marathon to do in Nov/Dec. So many to choose from down here. Suz i hope you got out! Eco...hang tough you IRONMAN you! and thanks Fuzz for keeping track of us all! Stephanie

Busy, busy, busy month upcoming!  I'm sure you'll have a blast.  I haven't volunteered for the Clermont race yet as there is a possibility that i will be going out of town.  If those plans don't materialize, I do hope to get out there and will look for you.  Here's hoping for more pain free days!

Ann-Marie

2011-08-16 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
2011-08-16 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Hey all! Finally settled into our new house in Anchorage after a very crazy summer!  I haven't been able to work out much since June so I am hoping to get back into the swing of things as kiddos start school next week!

I hope everyone is enjoying there training - can't wait to get caught up on all the RRs.

McFuzz dying to read the Vineman RR!

2011-08-17 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Now that the dust has settled from the trip, I have to talk about Enrique after the race...

He stayed at the hotel in Santa Rosa so we carpooled over to Guerneville and the start of the race and his family would meet him later in the day.   We took the bike rack off his Explorer and put it on the van and loaded the bikes up.  Later, his wife and boys were able to meet up with Beth around the finish line, and he had just started his third loop as I was coming in to finish so I knew he was a little over an hour behind me.  We were going to get some food with Runnergirl and her hubby and waited for him to finish before we headed out.  We watched him come in and cheered for him and chatted for a few minutes in the finish area.  I'd already loaded my bike inside the van and needed to know if he needed the rack to get his bike back to the hotel or not (he did) so I told him I'd put it next to his bike in T2.  I put the rack next to his bike and then head back to the finish area to catch him and collect Beth and the other two for food.  As I walk up, I look at Enrique (it's now about 25 minutes post-race for him, so blood flow to the brain is returning...) and I tell him

"I put the rack in T2 but your bike wasn't there."

His eyes nearly exploded they got so wide and then I said

"Just kidding, it's there, go enjoy the evening as an Ironman." 

2011-08-17 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3646864

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
McFuzz - 2011-08-17 8:11 AM

Now that the dust has settled from the trip, I have to talk about Enrique after the race...

He stayed at the hotel in Santa Rosa so we carpooled over to Guerneville and the start of the race and his family would meet him later in the day.   We took the bike rack off his Explorer and put it on the van and loaded the bikes up.  Later, his wife and boys were able to meet up with Beth around the finish line, and he had just started his third loop as I was coming in to finish so I knew he was a little over an hour behind me.  We were going to get some food with Runnergirl and her hubby and waited for him to finish before we headed out.  We watched him come in and cheered for him and chatted for a few minutes in the finish area.  I'd already loaded my bike inside the van and needed to know if he needed the rack to get his bike back to the hotel or not (he did) so I told him I'd put it next to his bike in T2.  I put the rack next to his bike and then head back to the finish area to catch him and collect Beth and the other two for food.  As I walk up, I look at Enrique (it's now about 25 minutes post-race for him, so blood flow to the brain is returning...) and I tell him

You devil! New Ironman hazing...
2011-08-17 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Haha. Yeah, Mike got me good on that one!
2011-08-18 1:02 AM
in reply to: #3646692

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
robingray_260 - 2011-08-16 9:48 PM

Hey all! Finally settled into our new house in Anchorage after a very crazy summer!  I haven't been able to work out much since June so I am hoping to get back into the swing of things as kiddos start school next week!

I hope everyone is enjoying there training - can't wait to get caught up on all the RRs.

Ree and I will be in Anchorage tomorrow night.  We are flying out to the Kvichak river to do some fishing on Friday.  Small world for being so far appart

2011-08-18 1:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
McFuzz - 2011-08-17 7:11 AM

That is funny....

Check this out, my best friend just did the 1/2IM in Benton Harbor on Sunday.  As you know there is a manditory bike check on Saturdays from noon til 8pm.  They went to check thier bikes at 7:45 and the transition had just been hit by a storm containing 60 mph winds.  Micah told me that the rack his bike was supposed to be on was in shambles, and there was a guy looking for his bike that had racked it several hours earlier ( later found more than 100 yds outside of the transition area - and of course trashed)....  Took the officials almost all night to rebuild the transition and finish line.  Swim was canceled the next morning due to 8' waves on the lake.  TT bike start with 25 mph sustained winds and gust up to 40 mph.  I sure am glad I did Racine,WI instead.

2011-08-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3648400

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
discipleguideservice - 2011-08-18 1:02 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-08-16 9:48 PM

Ree and I will be in Anchorage tomorrow night.  We are flying out to the Kvichak river to do some fishing on Friday.  Small world for being so far appart

Have a great time - it is beautiful here!!!! It has been raining off and on almost every day with some better than others- I will try and send good weather (and succesfull fishing) vibes your way!!! If you need anything while you are here send me a PM!

2011-08-19 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wow, it really is a small world!
2011-08-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3651195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Big weekend.  Swimming in MOWS 1.2 miles on the IM course, then riding the bike course with one loop, 70 miles, then a short run. Then home for a long ride Sunday.  Taper starts next week.  I think the swim with the bike and run brick will really settle me down.  I can do this.  I feel strong. It's all up to execution race day - no bike problems and fueling.  I have a good race strategy thanks to my coach, input from here and a chalk talk I bought for IM Moo from Endurance nation.  Although the guy who talks you through the courses is kind of a pain, the information is good and helped me get a strategy in my head.  Swim moderate, bike moderate and steady, using all the gears and not standing up, and run stupid easy for 6 miles.  I did that last on my 15 mile run this week and I was doing negative splits at 15 miles.  Legs were sore but I was still moving well at a sub 5 hour marathon pace.  I'll take 6 after the 112 bike course believe me.

Thanks for all your help.

Iceman

Edited by IceManScott 2011-08-19 3:09 PM
2011-08-19 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Iceman - I can't believe you have less than a month before the big day - crazy how time flies. You have put in the hard work - you will do awesome!!!  Almost taper time!
2011-08-19 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
In preparation for Hood to Coast, running buddies and I are doing our long run tonight, after dark. (Will be wearing our blinking vests and head lamps)  My friend's husband said we sure know how to have fun on a Friday night.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106