Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-02-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Very interesting posts about recovery. It is obvious that everyone has their own ways to recover. 

For me - it's Chocolate milk. Usually when I finish a workout, it's right before dinner/lunch so I don't snack on things between meals.  The Chocolate milk is usually enough - especially when I drink it half frozen...SO delicious!   If I'm REALLY hungry, I usually have small crackers. 

For hard days, I tend to take a warm bath (well, for you it'll be HOT) with Epsom salt (2 cups worth - I think it also depends on the size of your tub. My tub in the master bath is larger than the other bath...I tend to alternate between the two).  I just relax. I just don't know when it's time for "ice baths" because I rarely ever feel like I need it.   I think I could have used it when I finish my half Mary. I was stuck due to having to go to an event right after.  Lesson learned. ;-D

For tightness - I just use "The Stick". Do I feel any different? very minimal.  Usually it's my calves or quads after a long run or a hard bike climb.  

I feel like from what you guys are doing for recovery makes me feel like I'm not doing my workouts hard enough! I do a longish run (for me anyways), and then I relax for an hour or so, and I'm back to normal.  The hard climbing/bike ride from Sunday - I recovered that night. Although my butt says otherwise (that's a given, due to not riding for a long while). 

Is there something that's in between compression? I am looking for something to keep my butt from jiggling. I'm still overweight, and I'm trying. I hate the way my butt jiggles, and after such a long run, it actually hurts.   Any advice about that until I get my butt toned? I think that's the hardest part about losing weight and getting fitness....it seems to take me a LOOOONG time. I want a firm butt damn it. :-P

2011-02-10 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3349225

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-10 1:50 PM Very interesting posts about recovery. It is obvious that everyone has their own ways to recover. 

For me - it's Chocolate milk. Usually when I finish a workout, it's right before dinner/lunch so I don't snack on things between meals.  The Chocolate milk is usually enough - especially when I drink it half frozen...SO delicious!   If I'm REALLY hungry, I usually have small crackers. 

For hard days, I tend to take a warm bath (well, for you it'll be HOT) with Epsom salt (2 cups worth - I think it also depends on the size of your tub. My tub in the master bath is larger than the other bath...I tend to alternate between the two).  I just relax. I just don't know when it's time for "ice baths" because I rarely ever feel like I need it.   I think I could have used it when I finish my half Mary. I was stuck due to having to go to an event right after.  Lesson learned. ;-D

For tightness - I just use "The Stick". Do I feel any different? very minimal.  Usually it's my calves or quads after a long run or a hard bike climb.  

I feel like from what you guys are doing for recovery makes me feel like I'm not doing my workouts hard enough!

I know for me, when I started the marathon training for Vegas, it was how "hard' I was running, it was the distance. When I started running 4 or so times a week and the runs started getting big, I needed some type of recovery. My legs were killing me!!! I hated the ice bath, but 10 minutes in there felt so good after.

I do a longish run (for me anyways), and then I relax for an hour or so, and I'm back to normal.  The hard climbing/bike ride from Sunday - I recovered that night. Although my butt says otherwise (that's a given, due to not riding for a long while). 

Is there something that's in between compression? I am looking for something to keep my butt from jiggling. I'm still overweight, and I'm trying. I hate the way my butt jiggles, and after such a long run, it actually hurts.   Any advice about that until I get my butt toned? I think that's the hardest part about losing weight and getting fitness....it seems to take me a LOOOONG time. I want a firm butt damn it. :-P

^^^^ This is so true. Same for me.  get a pair of tight shorts(underarmours or something like that) under your running shorts.

Edited by TrevorC 2011-02-10 4:29 PM
2011-02-10 4:59 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
DJ-  The other thing that I have finally started to understand is that recovery is not always just something necessary so that you are less sore that day or the next day, but it is so that your muscles are re-fueled and ready to perform at an optimum level for the next workout.   

For me, nutrition is 90 percent of the battle.   Sounds like you have the right plan with the chocolate milk immediately afterwards and then eating a good solid meal with veggies and proteins after that is great recovery whether you consider that recovery or not, it probably has been a terrific recovery strategy! 

2011-02-10 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3349431

User image

Master
Sin City
kt65 - 2011-02-10 2:59 PM DJ-  The other thing that I have finally started to understand is that recovery is not always just something necessary so that you are less sore that day or the next day, but it is so that your muscles are re-fueled and ready to perform at an optimum level for the next workout.   

For me, nutrition is 90 percent of the battle.   Sounds like you have the right plan with the chocolate milk immediately afterwards and then eating a good solid meal with veggies and proteins after that is great recovery whether you consider that recovery or not, it probably has been a terrific recovery strategy! 

LOL!! Does that count on those days that I eat pizza? 
2011-02-10 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3349547

User image

Elite
san francisco
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-10 4:59 PM
kt65 - 2011-02-10 2:59 PM DJ-  The other thing that I have finally started to understand is that recovery is not always just something necessary so that you are less sore that day or the next day, but it is so that your muscles are re-fueled and ready to perform at an optimum level for the next workout.   

LOL!! Does that count on those days that I eat pizza? 
Heck yeah! Next time, Sprinkle some mushrooms and bell peppers on top! Perfect!
2011-02-11 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3349157

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-02-10 3:22 PM Tony--I read the post--thanks for sharing it.  I think there is something wrong with the unit.  I need to send a note to Garmin and then I am sure I will hear back from them within the year.  She said snidely....

George--don't feel bad.  I had no idea what the food truck revolution was either.  We have little food wagons down on campus with some really crazy foreign food, but that's it.  I don't try them.

The next time you all hear from me I will be back in Mad Town experiencing all that WI has to offer.  I figure today's shorts run was my last for some time unless I'm on the TM!  Ah well, it's been a great two weeks in Paradise.

PS. To the racers, best of luck and report back your stellar results.  We'll be waiting!

Saw on the news yesterday it's supposed to be in the 60's at some point here next week, woo hoo!

2011-02-11 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3349225

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-10 5:50 PM Very interesting posts about recovery. It is obvious that everyone has their own ways to recover. 

I feel like from what you guys are doing for recovery makes me feel like I'm not doing my workouts hard enough! I do a longish run (for me anyways), and then I relax for an hour or so, and I'm back to normal.  The hard climbing/bike ride from Sunday - I recovered that night. Although my butt says otherwise (that's a given, due to not riding for a long while). 

I don't have a jiggle problem (at least I don't think I do), but I do believe that my making my glutes (and hip flexors and several other muscles)  stronger would help my cycling and running.  My left side is obviously stronger than my right side and when I try to do hills or push the big ring on the bike, I end up with very sore knees and hips.   Anyway, here's a vid with some great glute exercises which I should be getting around to doing soon.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7zIUBH6Z0&feature=player_embedded 

Note:  guys....this is worth viewing even if you don't think you have a glute problem  Surprised

Note 2:  the vid is courtesy of Bret Contreras.  He is quite opinionated to say the least, but he does know the glutes.  If you want more details, I can send a few more links.  
2011-02-11 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3349931

User image

Elite
san francisco
dcon - 2011-02-11 5:30 AM
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-10 5:50 PM Very interesting posts about recovery. It is obvious that everyone has their own ways to recover. 

I don't have a jiggle problem (at least I don't think I do), but I do believe that my making my glutes (and hip flexors and several other muscles)  stronger would help my cycling and running.  My left side is obviously stronger than my right side and when I try to do hills or push the big ring on the bike, I end up with very sore knees and hips.   Anyway, here's a vid with some great glute exercises which I should be getting around to doing soon.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7zIUBH6Z0&feature=player_embedded 

Note:  guys....this is worth viewing even if you don't think you have a glute problem  Surprised

Note 2:  the vid is courtesy of Bret Contreras.  He is quite opinionated to say the least, but he does know the glutes.  If you want more details, I can send a few more links.  

Thanks, Dan!  That video was actually really good...so many great exercises and the woman doing them seemed more "natural" than the video that Tony posted last time of that lady who's name starts with Z.

Not sure about stepping all over the furniture...that might not go over real well.  Every time I hear that song I think of Cameron Diaz dancing the soul train in Charlie's Angels.  Love it!!!!
2011-02-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3349943

User image

Hey kids! I'm back from a week+ in India, and still trying to figure out whether it's night or day. I'm hopelessly behind on the MG thanks to limited internet access, so I'm taking the "read the last 3 pages and move on" pass this time. If I missed anything important, someone please catch me up.

I can't wait to run outside and get back to the bike and pool!! 

Good luck to all the racers this weekend! Kim, enjoy your first swim meet! 
2011-02-11 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
2011-02-11 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Quick pop in to say "I am back in the land of cold and frigid!"....hope everyone has a great weekend!

2011-02-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3350093

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2011-02-11 7:54 AM Trevor,

If you want to make the switch to tubulars this is a good deal.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3193776;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Ah i'm scared of tubulars still to be honest. I know, I know. Just learn how to change them!!
the 404's become more of a race wheel too don't they? . I just want to get a better everyday wheel than the
Shimano R500 that came with my P2.
I think I am going to order the Jensensusa deal on the Reynolds Attack clinchers today.
2011-02-11 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3350406

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-02-11 11:42 AM

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3193776;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Ah i'm scared of tubulars still to be honest. I know, I know. Just learn how to change them!!
the 404's become more of a race wheel too don't they? . I just want to get a better everyday wheel than the
I think I am going to order the Jensensusa deal on the Reynolds Attack clinchers today.

Oh, I didn't realize you were looking for training wheels.  I would just stick with the R500's for training then, unless you've got $$ burning a hole in your pocket.

Edited by dalessit 2011-02-11 11:52 AM
2011-02-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3350588

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2011-02-11 10:51 AM

Oh, I didn't realize you were looking for training wheels.  I would just stick with the R500's for training then, unless you've got $$ burning a hole in your pocket.

Not burning a whole per-say. But the shimano r500 are kind of crap arent they?
I just want to have a 'decent' set of wheels that i train on, and can use in races if i so choose.

Edited by TrevorC 2011-02-11 1:12 PM
2011-02-11 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3350777

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2011-02-11 11:00 AM

I just want to have a 'decent' set of wheels that i train on, and can use in races if i so choose.

Do they feel like crap?  Just asking.  I had a pair of carbon fiber wheels that my LBS loaned me when I first got my new bike because my wheelset was on back order.  (they were Reynolds MVC) I thought they felt good but wasn't sure if it was the wheels or the all carbon bike, then when I got my new wheels (easton 70's-non carbon), they felt just as good, even on the bumps around here.  Just sayin'.  Maybe you can keep these wheels and train on them and then rent fancy new race wheels for your races!  That would be awesome!!! 
2011-02-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3350777

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-02-11 2:00 PM

So you're really looking for bomb proof race wheels.  I get ya.  I'm lazy like that too, I keep my tri-spoke in front and PT with wheelcover on back always on, for training and racing.

I guess the way you have to look at it.

With race wheels the concern is if you crash, instead of just having to replace your bike you now also have to replace an expensive set of wheels.  That is why many people have 2 sets, usually they would ride the r500's in every day training and bring out the nice deeper wheels just for races so they can go a bit faster.

So I guess you need to ask yourself are you comfortable replacing the $750 wheels on top of bike costs if you have a bad crash on a training ride.  For me, unless I fell into some money I couldn't have 2 sets of wheels like that.

I don't think there are too many issues with the carbon faring braking due to rocks or other such things so I wouldn't be as worried about that.

If you buy aluminum braking rims vs. carbon you don't have to worry about the wear there.

I think in your post in the gear or tri-talk forum someone brought up the point about going 40mm or more vs. less, which is actually a pretty good idea if you're going to also use them to race so another thing to think about.

2011-02-11 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I want you guys to tell me to buy them!!!

Here is my final thought process on this:
My plan this year is to only really race 4 or 5 races this year. a sprint, prob 2 oly's, HIM and IMCanada.
So if I bought fancy, fancy,fancy 404/606's I would only get a few uses out of them.
Renting them for 2 races is an option though. 
But i see a really,really good deal on a pair of wheels that are quite a step up on my current cheapo rims. I saw they are listed at $199 online.
If I bought these wheels, I could use them for everyday riding and my shorter races, and I have a friend who said she would lend my her 404 front and 808 back for IMC if i wanted.
2011-02-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3350406

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
TrevorC - 2011-02-11 10:42 AM

I just got my planet x 50mm clinchers in.  Now I need a cassette to put on it.  I looked at those attack clinchers after i saw your post on the main forum.  looks like a good deal.
2011-02-11 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3350880

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2011-02-11 2:54 PM I want you guys to tell me to buy them!!!

My plan this year is to only really race 4 or 5 races this year. a sprint, prob 2 oly's, HIM and IMCanada.
So if I bought fancy, fancy,fancy 404/606's I would only get a few uses out of them.
But i see a really,really good deal on a pair of wheels that are quite a step up on my current cheapo rims. I saw they are listed at $199 online.
If I bought these wheels, I could use them for everyday riding and my shorter races, and I have a friend who said she would lend my her 404 front and 808 back for IMC if i wanted.

Have you even ridden the wheels outside yet?  I would give them a go.  Worst thing that happens is you hate them after riding them and you got and you get the new ones then.  Or you find out that they feel fine, you do the rental thing for this year's races, find out you love race wheels and got to have a set and next year or late this year you drop some bigger money on those.  My 2 cents.

Or

GO BUY THEM

if that is what you want to hear.
2011-02-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3350880

User image

Champion

LOL, just to make things more confusing, why don't you use that money to get a powertap, if you look you might be able to pick up a powertap on a mavic open pro or similar rim + wheelcover and a some sort of used aero front wheel for the same price as the wheels you are looking at.  That way you can use in both training and racing.
2011-02-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3351032

User image

Elite
san francisco
dalessit - 2011-02-11 1:21 PM

LOL, just to make things more confusing, why don't you use that money to get a powertap, if you look you might be able to pick up a powertap on a mavic open pro or similar rim + wheelcover and a some sort of used aero front wheel for the same price as the wheels you are looking at.  That way you can use in both training and racing.

X2!!!!

Quite brilliant, Tony.  I love my Quarq Cinco!!!  Kathy bought me carbon wheels last year for my birthday, but I traded them in for Power and I think it was a terrific decision.  Not as sexy looking but I "think" it helped me take 20 minutes off my bike split for Vineman!!!   

2011-02-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3351068

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2011-02-11 1:21 PM

X3 along with Kim ....  IMO (for some reason I always feel the need to say this now), if you don't have power yet, that has to come before a set of race wheels.  Like Tony said, look for a used Mavic open pro or DT Swiss rim with a PT and buy a wheel cover for races.  Then go to tri-sports or Nashbar, etc. and buy the matching rim with the PT hub!  Still less than a set of wheels and the increase in race execution will trump any aero gains from a wheel set.

Love my PT, find it hard to train or ride without it.  It is amazing how much more effective it makes your rides.  Laughing

2011-02-11 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Going back on what Dale said about his wheelset.

Not sure if any of you have saw it, but I brought up about "regretting" getting the Mavic Carbones wheelset.  Someone said that I have a bad case of "buyer's remorse".

I basically wanted an aerowheel set that I can use for BOTH training and racing.  I've been feeling like the Carbones is something that I shouldn't have gotten (I requested it, so it wasn't just given to me).  I'm not sure if the aerodynamic advantages of those is going to get me that much faster. Sure, maybe 1mph faster, but is it really worth it? I don't know. I need more rides on these to tell. Right now I'm just getting back into cycling.

I don't care about the weight, I don't care that it's not 100% carbon.   I care whether it's worth having it on my bike permanently (except for trainer rides...which I've been using my old wheelset).  Yes I'm aware about the risks of crashing and ruining the wheels - which is exactly why I did not want full carbon wheels.  I've had a friend that crashed badly with his Zipps (it was just a Charity ride), and he screwed up not just one, but BOTH of them. That's $2000+ out the door.

However, from what I've been reading from Dale is that he puts on his "race wheels" on "permanently" (and I would think it's more valuable than mine), so I feel better that it's "OKAY" to ride on higher end wheels all the time.

My SO basically said, "USE it. It's dumb to treat it like a fragile glass.  If you crash and they got screwed up...what do you think I will be more worried about...you or the damn wheels?". The man got a point.   :-P

Did I do it right?? :-P   (and the debate begins.....)

2011-02-11 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3351147

User image

Master
I'm just one of those lame-o riders who rides what I have... which is what came with the bike. Buying a new bike last year was HUGE for me!! I've honestly never thought about upgrading wheels or anything. I guess FOR ME I would say "why bother?" I did enjoy riding Steve's wheels in CDA (Thanks again, Steve!!) -- they felt nice for sure. But not nice enough for me to throw down a lot of $$ on my very own (especially if I have a friend who will loan them, and it's also not cost-prohibitive to rent them for a big race like an IM). I'd probably put myself in the camp of "If I have the money to spend..." I, too, would pony up for a PT. Or just start saving for one in case I ever came across a screamin' good deal.

I must say, I'm a total stereotypical woman who hates the technical side of cycling the most when it comes to triathlong. I like to keep things simple -- just go. I always get bogged down with pumping up tires, making sure I have spare this, that, and the other, watching the weather closely, yada yada yada. Don't get me wrong, I love the big picture, but I just wish bikes would maintain themselves like my running shoes do, ha!!
2011-02-11 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3351032

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2011-02-11 3:21 PM

It is REALLY all about looking like you are fast when you are carrying your bike in the bike rack to races and such.  Sounds like a good plan.   Realistically what are a few seconds or minutes for a MOPer (speaking for myself, I am sure you are FOP) over the course of a HIM or IM. 

I think the powertap idea is a good one, and you can TRAIN MORE to get faster (per Suzy)  blah blah blah blah blah
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171