General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk clothes, ladies.. what do you wear to tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-30 10:00 AM

Subject: Let's talk clothes, ladies.. what do you wear to tri?
I am a newbie, planning my first sprint in June, and am wondering about clothes. I asked about trisuits in a previous thread, and am looking for alternatives before I invest in any clothes. I do need a sports bra (very much so...D cup) so am hoping to find out what people wear from the swim through the run and how much do you add/change/etc. in T1 and T2?

2007-01-30 10:07 AM
in reply to: #672600

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Let's talk clothes, ladies.. what do you wear to tri?
Unless you're doing IM, then changing isn't encouraged (no changing tents). And even at IM distance, it's not necessary.

Wear your sports bra under a tri top (you can use a tri top that has a built-in shelf bra for a "double bagging" effect), and then tri shorts on the bottom. Wear this throughout the race.

2007-01-30 10:18 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
For my first tri, I wore tri shorts and a swim suit top (like a sports bra).  I put on a bike jersey during T1.  I don't recommend this.  It was really difficult because I was wet and cold (it was October) and the jersey got stuck.  I would recommend getting a pair of tri shorts and a tri top and wear a sports bra under the top.  That way, you won't have to change clothes (maybe just shoes) during transition.
2007-01-30 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Honestly, the tri-top/shorts and/or trisuit would probably be your best bet.  You should be able to find different ones on clearance
2007-01-30 10:44 AM

Any thoughts on a wetsuit for my first tri?
Pros? cons?
It is a shallow open water swim (.25 mi) in early June on Cape Cod (so it may be a bit cold in the water)
2007-01-30 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Coming from a TERRIBLE swimmer who uses her wetsuit whenever possible, I would say it's not necessary for you, most likely.  If it's only 400m and shallow, then you can probably get by without one.  I wouldn't spend the money on it just for that race.

That said, if you already own one and the water's cold enough, the only reason not to is the time you'll sacrifice in T1 having to get the suit off. 

2007-01-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: #672692

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
If the temperature and length of the swim make you uncomfortable, you might do better witha wetsuit (just for the added security). I wore mine in some 300m swim tris this past summer (more for the T1 practice). If you're concerned about time, though, you might want to go without.

And you could consider renting a wetsuit instead of buying the first time out.
2007-01-30 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

It sounds like you're doing Hyannis 1 in June. I would highly recommend a wetsuit since the water is freezing. You can always rent one...you can get it a few days early and do a few practice swims.

If you don't want to invest in tri clothes yet,  just wear your swim suit with your sports bra underneath and spandex exercise shorts over.  After you take off your wetsuit you just need to put on shoes and you are ready to go. You will not feel weird because a ton of people are dressed like that.

Depending on the weather you may need a shirt to put on for the bike. Last year it was very cold. I ended up putting on a shirt and a vest.

2007-01-30 2:12 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
I highly recommend the UnderArmor sports bras, they have ones specifically for C and D cups. I'm sure you've found, as I have, that for anything over a B just one regular sports bra is a joke. I just use my super tight speedo suit for the race, but it's great for training. Doubling up is a good idea too.

I'm also a newbie, so the only real investments I've made so far are a racing swimsuit, the UA bra, and running shoes. Everything else I have is pretty much standard workout clothes, and a borrowed wetsuit. The drawbacks to my cheap stuff so far are that my bike shorts are tough to pull on after the swim, and my antiquated wet suit doesn't allow for enough motion. I think those are the next two splurges!

Good luck!

2007-01-30 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Definitely invest in some tri shorts. They have a less bulky chamois and material that will dry quickly after coming out of the water. I have worn all kinds of tops: bathing suits, shimmels, and tri tops. I don't think it matters much. Wear a good sports bra and then whatever you want over that. Pick something made from technical fabric that will dry quickly. The advantage to a tri top is it usually has pockets for gel or whatever, but for a sprint may not be necessary. Unless you are totally comfortable swimming in open water, in the cold, I would go with a wetsuit, either borrowed or rented. And I, personally, have avoided the one-piece tri suits (even tho they are ever so cool and fast looking) for one reason: I pee frequently before a race and it's so much easier to pull down the shorts than to take it all off (which is why I am always the last person to put my wetsuit on).
2007-02-04 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Lots of good advice already.. for my first tri I just wore my swimsuit and then pulled on a top with a shelf bra (not recommended as stated before - very difficult to get on wet!) and bike shorts in T1. I have since switched to wearing a sports bra under my suit and just putting on shorts in TI. But I do think I will be investing in a tri top and bottom this spring... and a wetsuit as I'm doing a 1/2 IM this summer.

Good luck with your first race!

2007-02-07 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
I am a guy and I care what I wear.

Even if I am not fast I got to look good doing it.

My wife always chuckles because of the clothes selection process I go thru days in advance of a race.

This is probably way to much info, but it is so true.

2007-02-09 2:40 PM

User image

Master
CT
Tri Shorts and a Tri top and good moisture wicking bra underneath sets you up nicely to swim, bike and run. All you need to worry about is changing accessories, ie, bike shoes to sneakers etc.

You don't need a wetsuit for sprint distance IMO.

Have fun!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk clothes, ladies.. what do you wear to tri? Rss Feed