Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2024-07-16 7:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Fat Thor was only allowed to frolic for two days, back at it this morning with a speed work 5K+ treadmill run...main set 4 x 1' @ R pace which I've dropped a few seconds to about 7:10/mile or so.  Going to train a little harder on the quality run days and see how that goes, going with Daniels' VDOT 39 pacing.  Then we did our strength work and planks.  All-in over 90 minutes.

Not sure if I mentioned this but our daughter moved back home (as all 20-somethings do now apparently...I wouldn't have moved back in if I were homeless LOL) and she's doing a 9/80 work schedule and trying to avoid traffic so the household is rustling at 5 AM now - getting into Gretchen territory around here.  It's summer and getting light out by 5:30 so it works for now, but it's hard to get to sleep that early. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-07-16 8:00 AM

2024-07-16 8:02 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by Rollergirl I don't mind hills, as long as they are of the "down" variety.
I almost spit my tea out at this

While I'd usually agree, I'm still a little guarded letting it loose running downhill...something I just need to work through mentally.  Maybe I should try the downhill feature on my treadmill as it goes down to -5%.

2024-07-16 8:06 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl I don't mind hills, as long as they are of the "down" variety.

While I'd usually agree, I'm still a little guarded letting it loose running downhill...something I just need to work through mentally.  Maybe I should try the downhill feature on my treadmill as it goes down to -5%.

I actually find downhills a bit harder on the knees/quads as it feels more impactful on them. Might be my trail running mindset where I'm super cautious going down so I don't wreck something.
2024-07-16 8:19 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

I actually find downhills a bit harder on the knees/quads as it feels more impactful on them. Might be my trail running mindset where I'm super cautious going down so I don't wreck something.

They are harder on the knees if you try to brake. If you let go and land under yourself (if you see what I mean) it's a a lot of fun (a little scary, I'll admit)

That said, on trails I am very cautious too, even uphill.

2024-07-16 8:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Fat Thor was only allowed to frolic for two days, back at it this morning with a speed work 5K+ treadmill run...main set 4 x 1' @ R pace which I've dropped a few seconds to about 7:10/mile or so.  Going to train a little harder on the quality run days and see how that goes, going with Daniels' VDOT 39 pacing.  Then we did our strength work and planks.  All-in over 90 minutes.

Not sure if I mentioned this but our daughter moved back home (as all 20-somethings do now apparently...I wouldn't have moved back in if I were homeless LOL) and she's doing a 9/80 work schedule and trying to avoid traffic so the household is rustling at 5 AM now - getting into Gretchen territory around here.  It's summer and getting light out by 5:30 so it works for now, but it's hard to get to sleep that early. 

welcome back Mike, we can't have fat Thor overstaying his welcome.

My son is also back, although only for 6 weeks until he moves out for good and starts his new job in the Swedish army.

He actually said to me when I said he was always welcome back (temporarily) if it didn't work out that he would rather sleep on the street than move back in.

He is not up early but bakes in the middle of the night and we get awaken by nice smells (at 2am)
2024-07-16 9:36 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
While I 100% know I am always welcome at my parent's house, I would live in a porta potty before I moved back in of my own volition!! I actually lived with them for about 8 week sat the beginning of 2021 when my dad had a MRSA infection and needed IV antibiotic treatments 8 times a day to help out. I love my parents, but no...just no. (and I even more so when I was 20!!)

I'm behind, but everyone sounds like they are going gang busters!

Last week for me:
4 swims 10,045.10yd 4:19:30
4 bike: 187.56 mi 11:18:57
4 runs: 20.52 mi 4:46:59
2 strength 2:24:xx

Total 22:49--supposed to be the biggest week of the training plan

Enjoying rest week this week. Yesterday was a short swim across the lake with my new Form goggles. The swim straight function (essentially a compass in the goggles) works pretty well, if you know how to use a compass. And...you have to trust it, as opposed to believing that your swimmate is sighting better than you are following her for a while instead of the compass. We swam about 1600yds, but spent just over two hours in the lake--that's gonna kill my metrics! :D We actually spent a good hour just chatting while sitting in the water (hot water, btw) and getting bitten by fish. Super weird to get bitten by fish, but there we are! This morning was an hour run with 6x2.5' of supposed to be Z5 work, but my body was rebelling against the humidity and legs would only do Z4 stuff, so that is what happened. Later today I'll be on the bike inside for a 30' Z2 ride because...surprise!...it is going to storm again. I'm super annoyed. I was going to ride outside and then mow my lawn for the first time in a month. The yard looks like a jungle and the wildlife is taking over (we've added a doe and her fawn to the menagerie lately), but every time it gets dry enough to mow I either have something scheduled or it turns around and rains before I get around to mowing. At least we live in the country where no one is gonna stake our yard and threaten to have the city mow for us (at a huge cost!).

2024-07-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Nice work this week everyone!! And it's only Tuesday!

I would not move in with my parents either, including in-laws, though I love them dearly. A week-long visit is plenty

1500m pool swim today, nice jump up from last week's 1000m. Feeling good in the water again. My goggles sprung a leak though, so I was dumping water every 50m. That got annoying really fast, and slowed down my overall time, as I was swimming well in the low 1:50s. Oh well.

edit - my Garmin got very confused while I was swimming, and thinks I somehow burned 6900 calories in the pool, but only 350 on my humid 4 mile run this morning. How the heck would I have burned 6900 calories from 1500m Z1 swimming??? LOL!

Edited by robertChiefsFan 2024-07-16 11:49 AM
2024-07-16 11:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e  Mike, come to masters! 

I'll be there on Saturday.  This should be interesting. 

How do the logistics work for the outside...do they bring the little punch card thingys out there, or do I need to go into the lobby first?

Yayyyy! See you then! It starts at 7:30, not 7! I think I told you that already, but reminders are helpful
Yes, they bring the cards out, so you can just go straight to the pool. No towel service out there, so either bring your own or that you would need to go in and grab.
We had a huge group last week! I want to say there are 7 lanes and each lane had 3 people at one point. It was great! I'm going to try to actually be on time this week and do the full 2 hours...but we'll see I'm going to a concert Friday night at Merriweather (Third Eye Blind and Yellowcard...throwbacks!) so might be sleepy...
2024-07-16 12:08 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

They are harder on the knees if you try to brake. If you let go and land under yourself (if you see what I mean) it's a a lot of fun (a little scary, I'll admit)

That said, on trails I am very cautious too, even uphill.

Agree Nat! I love a downhill as long as it's not too steep and I can just let go and let my legs fly. Trying to brake certainly causes lots of other issues (or if it's too steep and/or there are roots in the way)
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland