Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2024-07-17 7:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I am taking an unscheduled rest day today. I think I injured the thoracico-lumbar fascia last week and exacerbated it on Monday night when I face planted at the lake. Like other types of fascia injuries (think plantar fasciatis) It hurts intensely when I stand up and take the first couple of steps, but then after I get going, it doesn't hurt as much. It was noticeable on my run yesterday, but not enough to stop me. Yesterday afternoon it would have stopped me, for sure. Anyway, I'm taking the day to act like I'm in my mid-40s and sit with a heating pad on it and hope it will get better quickly. I am glad it has happened on a rest week, but it still makes me nervous.

ouch! hope it's only a scare

Same!! Hope that heals up quickly for you!

2024-07-17 7:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hill repeats are...ok. I got four of them in this morning, and stayed in the low gears, and just focused on cadence. (low for mtn bike = 1/3 and 1/4 combos front/rear, for now). I have a lot of room for improvement on hills, obviously.

Edit - holy smokes that pic is huge. Sorry about that!!!

Edited by robertChiefsFan 2024-07-17 7:31 AM

(hills - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hills - Copy.jpg (126KB - 0 downloads)
2024-07-17 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Average 5:43 transitions?!?!? For you?!??!?! I mean...I expect that from me...or Mike...but you? :D
no, that's the run tempo in minutes per km (9:12/mile) transitions 2 minutes total (max)

I joke about having a picnic in transition...Nathalie could spread out her blanket, set out a charcuterie board, open a bottle of Bordeaux, consume said picnic items, and STILL beat 5:43 in transitions. 

2024-07-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Hill repeats are...ok. I got four of them in this morning, and stayed in the low gears, and just focused on cadence. (low for mtn bike = 1/3 and 1/4 combos front/rear, for now). I have a lot of room for improvement on hills, obviously. Edit - holy smokes that pic is huge. Sorry about that!!!

Nicely done, Robert!  Looks like those are about, what, 130 feet or so of elevation on each hill?  That's a decent hill for sure. 

2024-07-17 7:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan
Originally posted by drfoodlove I am taking an unscheduled rest day today. I think I injured the thoracico-lumbar fascia last week and exacerbated it on Monday night when I face planted at the lake. Like other types of fascia injuries (think plantar fasciatis) It hurts intensely when I stand up and take the first couple of steps, but then after I get going, it doesn't hurt as much. It was noticeable on my run yesterday, but not enough to stop me. Yesterday afternoon it would have stopped me, for sure. Anyway, I'm taking the day to act like I'm in my mid-40s and sit with a heating pad on it and hope it will get better quickly. I am glad it has happened on a rest week, but it still makes me nervous.

Thoracico-lumbar fascia?  So your back hurts, but more muscular then joint, right?  That's a tough area to stretch, too. 

Yeah, what they said, let's get this all better quickly - with three weeks out your hay is just about in the barn anyway training-wise, rest up a bit until it feels close to 100%.  You don't want that on race day. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-07-17 7:39 AM
2024-07-17 7:41 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Average 5:43 transitions?!?!? For you?!??!?! I mean...I expect that from me...or Mike...but you? :D
no, that's the run tempo in minutes per km (9:12/mile) transitions 2 minutes total (max)

I joke about having a picnic in transition...Nathalie could spread out her blanket, set out a charcuterie board, open a bottle of Bordeaux, consume said picnic items, and STILL beat 5:43 in transitions. 

Not quite right................

it would be a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, not Bordeaux

2024-07-17 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Not quite right................ it would be a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, not Bordeaux

Ahhh...a Rhone Valley Girl.  I prefer them as well...once you get used to drinking new world cab/merlot and their blends, Bordeaux can be like being slapped in the face. 

2024-07-17 7:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Hill repeats are...ok. I got four of them in this morning, and stayed in the low gears, and just focused on cadence. (low for mtn bike = 1/3 and 1/4 combos front/rear, for now). I have a lot of room for improvement on hills, obviously. Edit - holy smokes that pic is huge. Sorry about that!!!

Nicely done, Robert!  Looks like those are about, what, 130 feet or so of elevation on each hill?  That's a decent hill for sure. 

Yeah about that much elevation. I did an out and back on the same hill, riding to a spot at the top (parking lot, conveniently) and then back down to a flat area that also has a parking lot. 4x. I used a run mapping website to map the race course to see how many hills, elevations, etc., then managed to find a hill that was pretty similar to the biggest hill in the race. My hill is about 15 feet taller though. :D
2024-07-17 7:54 AM

User image

Not quite right................

it would be a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, not Bordeaux

I do enjoy a good red wine...that sounds amazing!
2024-07-17 8:02 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Way to go getting back into it, Mike!

I also would not move back in with my parents. Obviously if I needed a place to live, they would be more than pleased to have me home, but I would go insane. I've lived by myself long enough, I don't know that I could live with people again long-term, though my mother and I would get along very well. My dad is pretty needy though, so he would drive me nuts.

Took a rest day yesterday. My body was pretty sore and my elbow was swollen from my allergy shot, so took it easy. It's supposed to storm all evening so I'm going to do some indoor strength stuff after work.
2024-07-17 8:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Not quite right................ it would be a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, not Bordeaux

Ahhh...a Rhone Valley Girl.  I prefer them as well...once you get used to drinking new world cab/merlot and their blends, Bordeaux can be like being slapped in the face. 

I was born in the Rhone Valley, I went directly from breast milk to Chateauneuf du Pape

2024-07-17 9:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, I hope your back is okay! Definitely get some rest, and please stop face planting!

2024-07-17 10:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

My transition mantra has become "no sandwiches." After a particularly long transition at one race my wife asked me if I had made and eaten a sandwich while I was in there. I can take my time when I want to!
2024-07-17 10:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove I am taking an unscheduled rest day today. I think I injured the thoracico-lumbar fascia last week and exacerbated it on Monday night when I face planted at the lake. Like other types of fascia injuries (think plantar fasciatis) It hurts intensely when I stand up and take the first couple of steps, but then after I get going, it doesn't hurt as much. It was noticeable on my run yesterday, but not enough to stop me. Yesterday afternoon it would have stopped me, for sure. Anyway, I'm taking the day to act like I'm in my mid-40s and sit with a heating pad on it and hope it will get better quickly. I am glad it has happened on a rest week, but it still makes me nervous.

Thoracico-lumbar fascia?  So your back hurts, but more muscular then joint, right?  That's a tough area to stretch, too. 

Yeah, what they said, let's get this all better quickly - with three weeks out your hay is just about in the barn anyway training-wise, rest up a bit until it feels close to 100%.  You don't want that on race day. 

Def not joint pain. It hurts just above my illiac crest about half way between the vert column and the lateral margin (of my body). Kinda right where pregnant women hold their backs in that stereotypical trope on tv/movies.

I've been sitting with a heating pad all morning and it is helping, so I'm feeling better about it!
2024-07-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Def not joint pain. It hurts just above my illiac crest about half way between the vert column and the lateral margin (of my body). Kinda right where pregnant women hold their backs in that stereotypical trope on tv/movies.

I've been sitting with a heating pad all morning and it is helping, so I'm feeling better about it!

Knock on wood it's only a scare.

But Mike's right, 3 weeks out the hay is in the barn. You're not going to gain a significant amount of fitness in 1 final big week, so the most important thing now is to get to the start line healthy. Best advice I think is to put 'the machine' back in her box and err on the side of doing less, not more.

So take it easy, try not to play through the pain, and unless your days rest made a magical improvement get yourself to a physio (if you haven't already)

Best of luck
2024-07-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

We are three weeks and change out now. There is one more 20 hour week on the plan, and then a two week taper. A bit weird, but whatevs...

Yup, that's the same schedule as my 70.3 plan last year, and for next years Ironman. But for those ones the final, stand alone big week is the biggest of the plan.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland