Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 140

2024-09-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Fun thing to tomorrow with a local bike club. 2 laps of a 6k mtb track and 2 laps of a 20k road course. Not sure in what order, we’ll see. You can enter as a team and do part of it or do the whole thing. I’ll do the whole thing.
It’s not a race, just for fun. If it’s successful, this may turn into a regular race.

Have a nice weekend BDAS!

2024-09-15 3:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hey, all.  Broadcasting live from USAT Age Group Nationals here in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Awesome weather...mid 70s during the day and down to about 60 for race time.  We're headed over for my daughter's race in about a half hour.  I looked at transition when she racked her bike yesterday afternoon and figured conservatively several millions dollars' worth of bikes there.  LOL

The venue is pretty cool.  Transition and parking are at an old air strip with a bay swim, flat bike, and then they get to run on the boardwalk for most of the run and finish there as well.  Will post pics and a dictated race report later.  Glad I didn't qualify as I would have a hard time running very well right now (though I probably could - ankle is improving) and that would suck. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. 

2024-09-15 9:43 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Broadcasting live from USAT Age Group Nationals here in Atlantic City, New Jersey. 

Go mini Mike!

But also, if you had qualified, you probably wouldn't have done the park run, so your ankle would be fine. In other news if my aunty had wheels she'd be a wagon
2024-09-15 10:38 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat, so are you swapping bikes between the mountain and road parts of this race? Hope you had fun on your postseason adventure.

@Gretchen. Well the cliche is triathletes all love carbs, but you seem to be taking it to the extreme (I suppose no surprise there!) How did it go? Did you smash your ride, and avoid a 2nd half bonk?

@Nicole, Well first up, happy birthday! Remember, 40's are the new 20's! That's good you've got your surgery booked in, sounds like it's going to be a tough recovery, but at least it's all now in motion, and you can start moving forward. By next summer you're going to be fighting fit, back to 100%. Hope that work is a little less overwhelming again, and you'll be checking in more. And yes, get to that PT! apart from getting stronger pre surgery, you want to try and create the habit of doing it regularly, because you're going to need to after November. For now your PT stuff is your key workouts for the week.

@Robert, Where are you? Don't disappear on us!

@Me. Well my PT seems to be working. (knock on wood!) either that, or its the reduced running mileage. But after 3-4 weeks of not noticing much difference, I have stopped feeling the pain in my knee on stairs in the last week or so. Hopefully it's the PT stuff, not lack of running. But it's good to see some progress.

I have however pulled out of the Marathon. I see the physio again next week, but even if he gives me the green light to go back to full run training, there will be only 6 weeks till race day, and that just isn't time to get from 60 minute runs to a full marathon without serious risk of reinjury, or injuring something else. So, I've transferred to the 11km option, it'll be a catered training run, but it's the best decision for now. A marathon can wait a year.

So this all means, the focus is100% switching to Ironman training. My plan only averages 3 runs a week, which is where I am now, hopefully I'm cleared for some longer stuff by the time the plan gets there, if not I may be doing some power walking. To be fair Ironman race day will 100% involve power walking for some (most?) of the marathon, so probably not the worst thing to practice it training anyway.

The plan officially starts next week, so this week is going to be a bit of a recovery week, which after 2 decent weeks lines up well.

Finally totals for the week:

Swim, x2, 2,000m, 52min
Bike, x6, 5hr 40min, all zwift
Run, x3, 23.4km, 3hr 5min

S/M, x6, 5 physio, 1 stretching, 1hr 30min

Total for the week, just a tick over 10 hours. Biggest of the year. The season starts here.
2024-09-16 12:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

How did it go for mini-Mike? (so great that she caught the bug and you have this in common)
And that century Gretchen we want to hear (read) how your carbed up self smashed it!
Andrew, good news about the knee, I am sure the lack of running helped the healing process, together with the PT.

Yes, that’s what it was, we swapped bikes after each leg. The mtb part was difficult, lots of climbing, which on my crappy bike was tough.
The whole thing was a lot of fun, gorgeous weather too (18C and glorious sun).

Considering joing that club to train with them but their training times are on days when I do other things. Tuesdays is road in the Summer half of the year and mtb in the winter but on Tuesdays I play music with my band and when we don’t, (July/august), I swim OW.

Then on Thursdays it’s mtb all year round but starting at 6:30pm, I would miss the whole hockey game that day. When I mentioned the hockey, they all looked at me with a mixture of pity and incredulity, they must have thought that was the most stupid thing they’d ever heard. It’s always better to do something yourself than watch others, one said. Totally agree, but if you can do both, train earlier and then watch the game, it’s even better.
Watching hockey is a thing I do with my other half, one of the things we have in common, it’s important too.

So we’ll see, I probably can join them now and then but it won’t be a regular thing.

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-09-16 9:09 AM
2024-09-16 11:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike--How did mini-me do?

Nat--agree with you about other things being important beyond training (as much as that might surprise everyone!). The local tri-club does an ows every Monday night at 6pm from April to October, but I rarely go. That time just doesn't work for me. It puts me home too late, too close to bed time, and I just don't like it. So, while I know it would be really good for me, I never do it because of other factors.

Nicole--Good to see a surgery date has been set. Sorry to have to have surgery, but it will help and you'll be back to your normal self by next summer!

Andrew--yay for IM training starting! Boo for marathon training ending...sorry to hear you had to make the tough decision, but it sounds like the right one.

For me...I nailed my century ride on Saturday. It was really fun for the first 80 miles, then less fun, but mostly because 1.) I fell off my bike on the big hill (have no idea how that happened--just all the sudden was in the grass and then on the ground)--cut up my left elbow/forearm pretty good, which made the aero position not as comfortable as otherwise would be and 2.) it got HOT by the end. I had trouble with a new bite valve I had purchased the week before to replace the disgusting one on my speedfil and I had to keep stopping to move fluid from my big speedfil bottle to my smaller between the bars bottle. That was annoying, but manageable. I also had a bit of an issue with one aerobar being loose and sliding downward (I blame my wife for distracting me while I was adjusting it on Thursday!), but that was fixed at the 40mile aid station. Other than that, the roads were only okay and there were way too many left turns and four way stops with high corn to contend with, but I hit my target of maintaining 17.0+mph avg for the duration (actually 17.2mph). I also won my AG and took 4th overall female in the ride that wasn't a race, but had timing chips and posted results. I know at least two of the women who beat me were in the pelotons that rode too! The host club had three groups, fast A, B, and C. I fit in between the B and C groups and could have hung with the B group if I had wanted to ride 100 miles in a pack with strangers, which I didn't. I was hopscotching with them for the first 20 miles, then in front of them until the 60 mile mark, and then about 15' behind them after the 80 mile mark. I took a long time at the 80 mile aid station, because it was HOT.

Massive carb load seemed to work. There was no late bonk, even when I was not as good as I should have been about moving fluids around so they were accessible (see miles 70-80, where I had nothing to drink because I didn't want to stop again to move fluids). A coke and a root beer at the aid station fixed that though! But...soda is not my friend. There were papa bear level burps for the rest of the ride.

2024-09-16 12:06 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Forgot to report Monday started off with a 1850yd swim and a weight training session.
2024-09-16 9:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Andrew--yay for IM training starting! Boo for marathon training ending...sorry to hear you had to make the tough decision, but it sounds like the right one.

To be fair, Marathon training ended about a month ago, I've just been racking up red squares in training peaks while refusing to acknowledge reality.

Nice job on your century ride. And good to see the carbo load worked. Good to learn for future races
2024-09-17 2:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work Gretchen! Other than the fall that is, but both you and Trixie survived.

If you have to fall off your bike (not a good idea), doing so in the grass is a good idea.

2024-09-17 3:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

totals for the week:

Swim, x2, 2,000m, 52min
Bike, x6, 5hr 40min, all zwift
Run, x3, 23.4km, 3hr 5min

S/M, x6, 5 physio, 1 stretching, 1hr 30min

Total for the week, just a tick over 10 hours. Biggest of the year. The season starts here.

Nice week! That's a lot of biking!

me
S 3004m 1h30
B 77k 3h54
R 10k 0:55 just my 10k race

not a bad week
2024-09-17 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Broadcasting live from USAT Age Group Nationals here in Atlantic City, New Jersey. 

Go mini Mike! But also, if you had qualified, you probably wouldn't have done the park run, so your ankle would be fine. In other news if my aunty had wheels she'd be a wagon

I feel like karma dictated I wasn't destined to make this year, then thought it was doing something nice and injured me so I wouldn't feel bad about making it?

2024-09-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Go mini Mike! But also, if you had qualified, you probably wouldn't have done the park run, so your ankle would be fine. In other news if my aunty had wheels she'd be a wagon

I feel like karma dictated I wasn't destined to make this year, then thought it was doing something nice and injured me so I wouldn't feel bad about making it?

Karma works in mysterious ways, I wouldn't think being injured is a nice thing, but clearly karma does
2024-09-17 10:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all!
Gretchen, race sounds awesome other than the fall! At least you didn't realize it, probably helped to not tense up, or you'd be even more sore! I also can't imagine drinking soda while working out and the papa bear burps made me giggle

Mike, yes how'd your daughter do in her race?!

Andrew, sorry to hear about the race, but great news that your knee and such being better! Probably a combo re: rest and PT. Way to take care of it. Though you could probably do the race, you may also risk further injury, so keep up the PT and look to the next race!
And totally agree, I'm looking forward to my 40s! Loved my 30s way more than my 20s, so hoping it just keeps getting better

Robert, where are youuuuu?!

Nat, agree on doing both! you can't work out 100% of the time, so if earlier works better and you can still watch something you love with your love, why not do it!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 140

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1053 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland