Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2024-09-02 3:07 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Last tri of the season completed. It went according to plan and I finished in 3:05:12 (according to my watch, can’t find the official results), which is 1 minute 04 faster than 2021. Better run and Transitions than then, slower swim and bike.

Way to go on beating past Nat. Loving that you made your gains in the run, which you've been unhappy with most of your season. Way to get it right when it matters!

I am still unhappy with my run this season (vs last year) but it's positive that I did better than 3 years ago. It tends to show that this year, was just a bad year (or 2023 a miracle year), I am not on the decline (yet).

2024-09-02 3:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

It's September! Winter is over!!
Can you tell I'm happy about that.

August has been a bot of a disappointment for me. You all know about the patella tendon, and limited running. September will be better, I can feel it.

Swim, x3, 1hr 17min, 3000m (a bit less than wanted, but more than last month. so a C grade)
Bike, x18, 14hr 41 min (comfortably the biggest bike month of the year, but not helping Marathon training!)
Run, x12, 12hr: 00min, 94km (about half as much as I have been doing)
S&M, x22, 5hr 38min (Lot of physio work here. Hopefully it's working)

Total of 33hr 36min for the month.

How'd everyone else do?

September! Summer is over! Not so thrilled about that but on the plus side, hockey season starts soon

Decent month, considering your injury troubles.

I was away on holiday most of August so a rather poor month but here :

S a number of metre/yards (many laps in a 9m pool while away) 5h11
B 299k 13h54
R 55k 6h45
S& S (strength and stuff) : dunno

tot 25h50

2024-09-02 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5289730

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A pretty easy day…60’ of riding and 30’ run. Performed as a brick…as they should be!! :D

Had my first consultation with the sports dietitian last night. Holy moly have I been doing it all wrong!! Clearly I just haven’t been eating enough carbs. Have now targets for energy (calories), carbs, protein, and fats for each day, with grades to support different lengths of training each day. It is going to take a lot more planning, but I think it is going to help. Just this morning I ate a banana before my sessions and both of them seemed to go really well. Could be coincidence, but maybe not!
2024-09-02 11:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat, doing laps in a 9m pool is commitment! I feel dizzy just thinking about it. Nice solid month.

@Gretchen, I'm not sure a 90 minute brick workout counts as a 'nice easy' off season day. I know you're a machine, but make sure to take some rest from formal training. For your sports nutritionist, does the more carbs comment mean during workouts, or just life in general? I've been jumping on the 'high carb' during training/racing the last year or so, and noticed serious improvements.

Started the week with a 55 minute run Monday morning, 60 minute zwift ride Monday evening, and a physio workout. Today I'm out of town for work, our trial is finished a bit earlier than expected, so I'm currently sitting in the hotel feeling very frustrated I'm not supposed to run on back to back days. I'll do my physio routine this evening, but feels like a wasted day.
2024-09-03 7:38 AM

User image

Hey everyone! Crazy to think it's already September, but here we are! August training was ok for me, overall, given the Achilles issues. I'm looking for some more consistency this month, hopefully. I'll stay focused on the swimming, running, and lifting. My Achilles is slowly getting better, so I'm trying to be patient with it. At least my swimming is fine (hope I didn't jinx anything).

I hope everyone is having a great start to the week!
2024-09-03 7:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

A pretty easy day…60’ of riding and 30’ run. Performed as a brick…as they should be!! :D

Had my first consultation with the sports dietitian last night. Holy moly have I been doing it all wrong!! Clearly I just haven’t been eating enough carbs. Have now targets for energy (calories), carbs, protein, and fats for each day, with grades to support different lengths of training each day. It is going to take a lot more planning, but I think it is going to help. Just this morning I ate a banana before my sessions and both of them seemed to go really well. Could be coincidence, but maybe not!

do not underestimate the power of the banana, an excellent pre/during/post snack.

2024-09-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove A pretty easy day…60’ of riding and 30’ run. Performed as a brick…as they should be!! :D Had my first consultation with the sports dietitian last night. Holy moly have I been doing it all wrong!! Clearly I just haven’t been eating enough carbs. Have now targets for energy (calories), carbs, protein, and fats for each day, with grades to support different lengths of training each day. It is going to take a lot more planning, but I think it is going to help. Just this morning I ate a banana before my sessions and both of them seemed to go really well. Could be coincidence, but maybe not!
do not underestimate the power of the banana, an excellent pre/during/post snack.

Unfortunately I HATE bananas. 

2024-09-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

August went well for me, minus the obvious like having a back flare-up and my one-person running accident. 

Swim: 7h 49m 30s - 17550 Yd  <<  two straight really good months
Bike: 8h 20m 26s - 149.07 Mi  <<  ugh
Run: 6h 20m 44s - 36.38 Mi  <<  lower than the past few months, but still some good work
Strength: 8h 46m  <<  good here

Rehab for the ankle has begun with some cycling, 45' yesterday and about an hour this morning.  I can walk and go up stairs pretty much normally and I'm working on the down stairs part - it's the deceleration that's the hardest.  Swelling is way down and it's just stiff and sore (and really weak) right now.  Will test in the pool tomorrow.

@Nathalie:  I thought I was a trooper with my 15 yard pool at my work hotel.  That's some serious dedication. 

@Andrew:  yay no more winter!!  unfortunately here is just becomes slightly less cold and still wet for another month or two moving into spring - hope you have way better weather

@Gretchen:  I see recovery is going well with only 90 minutes a day of training - we still haven't heard what's next

@Robert:  Glad your swimming is coming along and that you continue to baby that injury

Have a great week everyone - it's perfect running weather now here and I'll be stuck on the treadmill for a bit unfortunately.  LOL

2024-09-03 9:06 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove A pretty easy day…60’ of riding and 30’ run. Performed as a brick…as they should be!! :D Had my first consultation with the sports dietitian last night. Holy moly have I been doing it all wrong!! Clearly I just haven’t been eating enough carbs. Have now targets for energy (calories), carbs, protein, and fats for each day, with grades to support different lengths of training each day. It is going to take a lot more planning, but I think it is going to help. Just this morning I ate a banana before my sessions and both of them seemed to go really well. Could be coincidence, but maybe not!

Unfortunately I HATE bananas. 

are you sure? I've you tried one lately? taste changes
2024-09-04 12:43 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Race report is up https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Last race of the season tonight (unless I decide to do that half marathon as part of a team) a 10k on a course on which I scored my PR last year (00:51 something), but let’s not talk about that. I’ll be happy with season’s best, which should be easy as I have not run a stand alone 10k this year so time to beat is last Saturday’s oly’s run, ie 1:00:48 but I should be able to go under one hour.

2024-09-04 5:21 AM
in reply to: #5289747

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Go Nat!! Good luck tonight!

2024-09-04 7:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm a bit late, but here are August numbers! Much of this is wrapped up in my two races...lol.

Swim: 7h 47m 23s - 18677.46 Yd (40% accounted for by races)
Bike: 18h 28m 11s - 292.94 Mi (62% accounted for by races)
Run: 17h 14m 32s - 69.39 Mi (30% accounted for by races)
Transitions: 22m (100% accounted for by races)

Mike--I feel your pain on the banana front. Bananas are certainly not my fruit preference, but I can tolerate them (barely) because I know they are good for training and recovery purposes. I'd have to be close to starvation and without other options to eat one otherwise.

I've coasted into my off season maintenance plan. I know...it seems early for a plan, but I need one. Without a plan, I am a sloth of epic proportions. Yesterday was a swim (2200yds) and strength training later in the day. It was my first lifting session since mid-July, so I tried to take things easier (75% of last lifted weight and only 2 sets instead of 3), but I'm still a bit sore this morning. Today is a 60' ride with some intervals, which I'm planning to do outside around mid-day. Weather is nice here, so should be enjoyable.

On the nutritionist front: She has a much different idea of my stomach's capacity than I do. Okay, I mean it is only day two, so we are both learning a bit, but today's breakfast was 2 eggs on an english muffin (I skipped the 1/2c of cooked veggies she wanted me to scramble into that) AND a smoothie of 1/2c yogurt, 1/2c berries, 1 scoop protein powder and 1T of honey. I was stuffed after the sandwich...90' later and I'm struggling to get the smoothie in (partly because it is the texture of soft serve ice cream and there is no way I'm getting that through a straw).
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 137

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1043 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland