Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 143

2024-09-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Andrew:  I'd say more like a B+ - that's a lot of stuff in a week.

@Gretchen:  we're getting warm January gloom here, too.  It's been sunny for a total of three hours in the last nine days. 

Solid week for me, considering fighting off a cold. 

2x swim, 3300 yards
5x bike, 3 1/2 hours, 70 or so miles
2x "run", 5 miles at about average 14' pace, but had some steeper hills so HR tracked like a run
5x strength/core, 3 hours total

Looking at the race results that I deferred, either it was a super slow field or conditions must have been really bad in the water - top swimmers were around 14 minutes and 17-flat would have led my age group (as would have an average bike speed and a decent 5K, so I have no idea what was going on down there).  Also for Ironman Maryland the previous weekend the runners had to run through over a foot of water in some spots the tide flooding was so high. 

2024-09-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: #5289931

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I have a friend who did IM Maryland and she was taking about running through the tide water. Ugh. Wet shoes are awful!!
2024-10-01 11:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Feeling very lazy today, just 2200 yds in the pool on the schedule, which I did this morning with masters. I have a blood draw tomorrow for all the tests my dietitian asked for (a month ago!), so she said not to do any hard training the day before. Sigh...good thing it is the off season! I also went on my wife's walk with her, but that isn't a hard training session. Later this afternoon, I get to go make the appointment for my world's celebration tattoo! I finally figured out what to get, where to get it, and as of yesterday know I'm not likely to go to Egypt this year (ugh...ugh...ugh...), so it is the time to get it done.

We also decided it was time to start thinking about getting another dog(s). We're looking for a pair of bonded older dogs. We want to adopt dogs that otherwise wouldn't have much chance of getting adopted. So far, we've been offered a blind puppy (from a friend who is fostering), a dog in a "wheelchair", and a tripod dog. We have said no to a puppy...period. My puppy days are behind me. The other two really don't work with our house, as we have stairs into the house, off the patio to the yard, and inside the house. I don't want to have the pupper limited on where s/he can follow us (except the basement...doggos not allowed in the basement). Wish us luck!
2024-10-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, Thank you for the really kind words and the love you sent through the internets! I really appreciate it! It has definitely been a tough year, but I think the hardest part is a lot of it I know is preventable if I would just make time for it. So trying to be better there.
Also, great news on the knee improvement! You will get that run fitness back quick, especially if you're keeping up with the swimming and biking.

Gretchen, I always assume whoever we are playing could come back...it's unfortunately a bad habit we have, letting the team squeak back in. Though they looked great against the Bills Sunday!
What an interesting topic to study...and definitely not the best method to get promoted!
Oh and good luck finding doggos!! Please send pics immediately!

Mike, I can't bike! I haven't even ridden my Peloton since my hip injury!! Ughhhh I can't wait. But yes, cutting my losses, but 2025 will be AMAZING!
Glad you are well enough to start working out again. And I agree, this weather has been TERRIBLE. I need sunlight so badly.

2024-10-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Fell off the map again. I had a few solid mornings of waking up and working out, and then work/stress took over. Went to masters Saturday and after about 1000 yds, I did something to my shoulder and couldn't lift it above my head without shooting pain. Left in tears...again. Realized later that it's likely b/c of a medication I'm on, which made me feel slightly better, but also not, because I just want to be normal.

Butttttt overall I'm fine. Went to see my niece's soccer game after and they won in the second overtime! Had an amazing massage Sunday, and lounged around the spa with two of my best girlfriends. Just going to focus on balance and enjoying life, and do what I am able to do.

You guys are all crushing it, so keep it up! I love reading all the awesome stuff you're doing, even if I'm not quite keeping up with yall
2024-10-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: #5289933

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
“Day off” today for me. I started with my fasting blood draw, which I couldn’t get done until 8:30, so I was grumpy and hungry. I was tired too, after a terrible night’s sleep. After a few hours of work, I took advantage of the gorgeous weather and cleaned up the neighbor’s tree that fell on our fence six months ago. I cleared the brush and got the space all ready to replace the fence panel the tree crushed. I just have to go buy the supplies now! It took 3 hours to clear that up. I’m tired now.

2024-10-03 4:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry about the silence. I have nothing to report other than an achilles/foot which is driving me crazy. Also, I am becoming more and more uneasy about posting on a public website for all the world to see. We may be a little group but everyone can see (hello lurkers )
Can we not move to a more private room ?

2024-10-03 7:45 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie:  I doubt this little site with almost no traffic gathers many lurker eyeballs, and besides I'm a bot anyway.    I still use the site for my workouts and self-blogging as well, and if someone random person wants to hear me complain about the weather so be it.  I agree we do need to be careful about what we share publicly - I share very little on social media, including here. 

A little quiet for me this week too as I kinda-sorta taper for Sunday's bike leg.  I have a hard 45 minute ride at lunch today after a couple of good days of training.  My foot finally feels close to normal and I'm running a little.

The Orioles (baseball team for you non-'Mericans) flamed out spectacularly for the 4th time in a row in playoffs (now have lost ten straight games).  Back to football.  And Swedish hockey - I see we have a game tonight - go Lakers!!!

2024-10-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie:  I doubt this little site with almost no traffic gathers many lurker eyeballs, and besides I'm a bot anyway.    I still use the site for my workouts and self-blogging as well, and if someone random person wants to hear me complain about the weather so be it.  I agree we do need to be careful about what we share publicly - I share very little on social media, including here. 

A little quiet for me this week too as I kinda-sorta taper for Sunday's bike leg.  I have a hard 45 minute ride at lunch today after a couple of good days of training.  My foot finally feels close to normal and I'm running a little.

The Orioles (baseball team for you non-'Mericans) flamed out spectacularly for the 4th time in a row in playoffs (now have lost ten straight games).  Back to football.  And Swedish hockey - I see we have a game tonight - go Lakers!!!

Yes I know, I don't share sensitive info either (that I know of) but it bothers me that my latest race report was viewed 183 times.

yeah GO LAKERS!
2024-10-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Yes I know, I don't share sensitive info either (that I know of) but it bothers me that my latest race report was viewed 183 times. yeah GO LAKERS!

Most of those were me, re-reading your report so I learn how to do transitions correctly. 

Some of the recent reports have been viewed several hundred times - I think there are still hundreds of old BTers that just lurk now with all the forum traffic all but gone.  I know there are at least 20-30 people who regularly show up in the BT Blogger.  This site once had several thousand users at one time - I'm sure a few still linger and reading race reports is fun.  Race results are all public anyway, at least here in the U.S., and those have way more personal information than anything we post here on BT. 

2024-10-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: #5289938

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Four hours and one repaired fence closer to getting our new dog(s)…let’s be real…dogs. I don’t remember if I told you all that our neighbor’s tree fell on our fence in April. Since the dog was old and not going anywhere, I didn’t worry about fixing it right away. Then it got hot and close to my races and then…we’ll…who wants to fix a fence if they don’t have to? Anyway, done now. I also got the application from the shelter, so we are getting closer. My wife is out of town this weekend, so we’ll be heading over on Tuesday to see if anyone strikes our fancy!

That was a very long way to say that I only got in one workout, 75’ of lifting.

2024-10-03 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well this week isn't going so well. I've been fighting off a really fun head cold, long story short I've had 1 day off work, and at least 2 days of 0 training. I knew making it through winter without having a sick period was too good to be true. Going to focus on recovery, do what I can but not too much and focus on being ready to smash it out of the park next week.

@Gretchen. Nice work on the fence, was that your 75 minutes lifting? If not, fence building counts as a workout

@Nicole, Good to see you check in. Hope you have an awesome weekend

@Mike, Nice week last week.

@Nat, Hope the achilles is clearing up. I guess the backup facebook group is there for a more private room, or maybe a whatsapp group chat? Otherwise, I'm with mike, I'm not worried about a cyber stalker reading that I've currently got a dodgy knee. Won't be putting up my kids school schedule though

Have a good weekend everyone.
2024-10-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One very awful swim session in the books. I just felt like I had zero energy at all. It was ugly and I called it after only 1500 yds. We had guest swimmers from our sister master's club (I didn't even know we had a sister master's club) and they were there to announce a food drive in the lead up to our regional swim meet on 2 Nov. I have no idea why it took them more than 10' to tell us all of this, but it really put a damper on the swim too. We warm up for 8' on our own, and then practice officially starts at 6:08 (pool opens at 6) with any announcements from the coach. On a normal day, we are swimming by 6:10 (or earlier). These people drug out this announcement forever...we didn't start actually swimming until after 6:20 and by that time I was cold. Our pool is usually pretty chilly, and it is fine if you are swimming, but if you stand around for a bit, you get cold. Bah...anyway...

More fence repair on tap today. It has been too long since I did any maintenance on our fence, so I deserve this. Then, if there is time, I'll begin picking up the limbs and sticks that fell in our yard with hurricane Helene passing through our area in preparation for the *hopefully* last mow of the year! Weather is gorgeous, so I'm actually looking forward to being outside most the day (after I get some of my actual job work done).

As for privacy...if it makes Nat feel more comfortable, I'm happy to move to another platform. I had an issue with a student stalker about 10 years ago, so I'm pretty sensitive to concerns about privacy. It might just kill BT though, as I think we are pretty much the only group left here.
2024-10-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen...6 AM Masters in cold water is bad enough (but like you said just fine once you get rolling), but sitting while people drone on and on...ugh.

@Andrew...ugh sick season - hopefully over soon for you and we're just heading into it.  I have a feeling it will not be good cold-wise around here this year.

Without getting into the politics of it (because somehow in the US it became political), are any of you getting a COVID booster this fall?  My doctor told me don't bother last year as it really didn't do much for healthy people, but this year's variant seems to be a jerk so I'm on the fence. 

Race day tomorrow...hopefully a perfect taper with a 25 minute punchy ride around the neighborhood on the race wheels.  My rear valve extender is giving me fits but my daughter and I force fed it air to get enough for racing.  Anywhere from 80-95 psi is fine for me with my 28 tires...some of the road is a tad rough so probably fine a little low anyway. 

My daughter is wearing her pool race suit tomorrow (knee-skin) LOL.  I told her if she's like 8th out of the water she's fired.   

Bike plan is to hold like 85% FTP (my real one, not the imaginary one I pretend to have) on the first 7 flat miles, ride hard the mile uphill, then get back to 85% the next two miles before it gets a little technical and I just need to hammer out of the turns and redline it for 10-12 minutes.  Oh and if anyone passes me get mad and hold their pace regardless off The Plan. 

EDITED TO FIX LIKE 50 TYPOS - good grief I'm old and getting sloppy fast-typing.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-10-05 2:17 PM
2024-10-05 5:04 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sitting at 8.5 hours of yard work today. And no…I did not do any training today. I told myself I would just go until I got tired today and whatever got done got done. Dude…that was stupid. I’m pretty fit. I’m still not tired, but kind out of things I could actually finish before the sun goes down. I’ve been burning brush in two large piles (a truck bed full at a time) for the last 8 hours. I’d say we had some limbs fall.

Mike—I’m getting the Covid booster next week. My dr mentioned it to me when I went for blood work on Monday and said it is better this year. The stories I’ve heard from friends who have gotten it recently sound like this variant is pretty nasty, so if I can avoid it, I will. I will say though, I’m not looking forward to it at all. Every Covid vaccine I have gotten has resulted in swollen lymph nodes that hurt and make it so I can put my arms down. I’d say the vaccine reaction is actually worse than the one time I got Covid.

Good luck on your race tomorrow!!! I suggest just hammering the whole ride so no one passes you and then if that is your plan, you don’t have to worry about throwing the plan out the window. :D
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 143

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1079 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland