General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT bike/ Road Bike for 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2024-10-14 5:56 AM

Subject: TT bike/ Road Bike for 70.3
Hi All,

Apologises for new thread. I do understand this has been discussed extensive.

But i hope to get some valuable inputs based on my profile

Current Roadbike Bike : Argon18 Krypton KR36 2010/2011 (Passed down by friend).
1.Never bike fit.
2. Never use Aerobar
3. Use cleats
4. No backside/groin pain. except back sore after 36km ride

DIY trainings.(2x per week. 1 x indoor spinbike, 1 x outdoor 36km ride)
2023 - Sprint Triathlon
Cycle 18km : 37.21mins
Run 5km : 24.36mins
Legs feel strong after 18km cycle

2024 - Standard Triathlon
1.5km swim replaced by 5km run due to oil spill : 27mins
Cycle 36km : 1hr13minsmins
Run 10km : 59mins
Legs feel jelly after 5km run + 36km cycle

Planning to try 70.3 next year. Dilemma if worth switching to TT bike

Objective of Bike
1.Complete 70.3 (Bucket List) in 2025 before gate closed, timings is bonus
2.) continue with 1 x sprint or standard tri every year after 2025
3.) Simple for layman to use/ maintain

Option1 - Keep using Argon18, add Aerobar,
Pros - No need to spend more $
Cons - Legs more 'jelly/soft' after 90km ?
Question - do i still need to do bike fit? since i only feel backsore after 36km ride

Option2 - FREE (from friend) Used Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 (2013) less than 100km
1.) Di2 battery already died
2.) brake pedal needs to be fixed
Pros - Small repair/service costs + bike fit. Save Legs les jelly/soft after 90km
Cons - older technology/ older specs?

Option3 - Invest in brand new Speedmax CF 7 Di2, proper bike fit
Pros - everything do up nicely, latest technology. Save Legs les jelly/soft after 90km
Cons - One time big investment, new TT bike costs, new pedal costs, bike fit costs, assembly costs (layman)

Thanks in advance for any valuable inputs.

Edited by Nitrodrops 2024-10-14 5:58 AM

2024-10-14 7:01 AM
in reply to: Nitrodrops

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: TT bike/ Road Bike for 70.3

Great questions...as you noted this has been discussed a bunch but your details really frame the question better.

Three words stand out in your summary:  Never bike fit.  I think that's probably where I'd start, especially if you're considering a tri bike, where fit is much more important.  This is even MORE important as you move up in distance.  Those Canyons might not even fit you, even with adjustments. 

Assuming they do, though, you're talking about several thousands of dollars between options 2 and 3 vs. just not much between 1 and 2, but with a proper fitting you're going to be able to make a much more informed decision (and likely will be more comfortable on your Argon, too).

FWIW, I'm on road bike #2 after getting a road bike fitting six years ago post back surgery, and we mucked around with clip-on aerobars as well and I'm about as dialed in as you'll get on a clip-on/roadie setup.  I love this setup.  At 55 years old, I'm usually top 20% in the field on the bike for sprints/Olys.  I still get a little stiff once I get to like 45 minutes or an hour in the position.  I also have a tri bike that I need to get fit on - I knew based on my road bike fitting it would fit in general, but it needs some stuff moved around and lots of trainer time for me to adapt.

2024-10-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: Nitrodrops

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Interesting question. 

What are your goals for the HIM and all of this assumes that buying a TT/tri bike is within your budget for discretionary expenses. 

I've done 1 HIM (in 2006).  That was on an old Raleigh road bike with clip-on aerobars.  I did ride 20+mph.  I've done 3 IM distance races on an old tri-bike generally in the 18mph range.

Back pain/soreness after 36 km.  What was your training prior to that?  If you're sore after *every* 36km ride, it's probably an issue.  As you train, the early training 40km ride that leaves you sore is inconsequential later in training when you're routinely doing 70-80km. 

What is the HIM you're considering?  Is it a course layout that is really conducive to an aero setup?  There's no advantage to getting an aero setup and then not riding aero because it's a technical course, it has lots of hilly transitions, or you end up not being comfortable camped out in an aero position for he better part of 3 hours.  Riding aero puts a lot more stress on your neck since you're lower/flatter and still need to look out ahead the same distance. 

It's probably worth getting a bike fit on your current bike, either with or without clip-on aerobars.  As you ride a lot more, you might do another fit 1/3 through your training for the HIM (after you've started increasing to regular hour+ rides) so you have time to adapt to any changes in riding position before your high-volume riding (4-8 weeks before the race).  As you ride more, you can probably tolerate a more aggressive riding position than early on. 

2024-10-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

thanks mate for valuable inputs.

just checked HIM terrain - rolling hill

Will go for bike fit.

Bike fitter recommend bike fit Argon18-Roadbike first, easier for beginner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT bike/ Road Bike for 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike advice??

Started by dgillesp
Views: 584 Posts: 2

2023-11-21 10:45 AM BlueBoy26

Can foldable exercise bikes be used for exercise?

Started by Zhenhan
Views: 468 Posts: 1

2023-10-31 4:15 AM Zhenhan

expresso bike

Started by gzh6464
Views: 3727 Posts: 6

2024-03-08 10:06 PM mrboli